Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidPropaganda
Jul 14, 2007

Just a little pinprick.
Therell be no more -aaaanarchy!
But you may feel a little sick.
I feel like a loser and grossly unqualified to post in this thread seeing what everyone else has, but I will anyway. I'm 17 years old and a senior in high school, and I've been loving around in flash since 8th grade and know my way around the program as well as someone in my position can (except for actionscript).

I am looking for good Animation/Illustration colleges to apply to. I live in the chicagoland area and am currently planning on applying and possible attending Columbia, which I heard has a good Animation department (I took the a flash class there over the summer and was profoundly bored, I knew basically everything they covered)

So I guess my question is, what are some good schools? Where are you going/have gone? Any tips for an aspiring animator?

bonus: one of my animations, as bad as it is. Took me an afternoon to do and I submitted it as an afterthought. I do know how animation can eat your life up from experience.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/474282 (it got frontpaged but in no way do I think it should have been)

Please don't judge me harshly, I'm much better I swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidPropaganda
Jul 14, 2007

Just a little pinprick.

Matty D posted:

That's a pessimistic view of a Senior, though. If you have any other specific questions about Columbia/animation school please ask, if I think of anything else I'll let you know.

That's actually super helpful, thanks a ton. Do you know of any other animation schools you thought about going to? What made you settle on Columbia? You said you really have to utilize what they have. Are they good about letting you do that? What I mean is, if you want to come in and talk to the teacher/work in the classroom outside of class are they generally good about it?

I was aware that Columbia didn't need a portfolio to get in but I didn't know that they didn't review them as time went on. You know of anyone who basically did jack poo poo and did't get anywhere? It seems like you do.

It kind of sucks where I am right now because I never really looked at any schools outside of the ones in Chicago, but I don't know if I want to go to Columbia. Like you said, they'll take just about anyone (edit: no offense is meant by this), and I kind of feel like I could go someplace else and be challenged a lot more in the classroom (without having to do stuff independently like you said)

drat this is a long rambling post, but these are some of the thoughts that keep me up at night, not knowing exactly where you want to go with the deadline drawing closer is pretty scary. :(

9nine posted:

Hey- gently caress you, that was fantastic.
Hahahaha thanks! I feel really dwarfed by this topic, and with good reason

LiquidPropaganda fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 5, 2009

LiquidPropaganda
Jul 14, 2007

Just a little pinprick.
Like I said, I took summer courses at Columbia so I've got a good feel for the school, plus I love Chicago. Glad to see I can really challenge myself there. I used to post a lot in the Daily Drawing threads and I do draw quite a lot. If you ask a teacher to challenge you will they? I know most of what you've said makes it seem like the teachers are only there to teach you a little but if you work with them and bust your rear end do they give you more poo poo to do? Thanks for the info so far though, you've helped a lot.

edit: hey there page 2

LiquidPropaganda
Jul 14, 2007

Just a little pinprick.
Just finished up this animation for a class of mine, then I found out it wasn't even going to be used :(

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/521176

Oh well, at least it's cool, I could've used those 12 hours to write final papers though. Still, worth it.