Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
A couple animations of mine (both are really old)

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1272461464

This was made for a buddy's birthday, just a short loop. It will probably just stay white for a minute, it needs to load.

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1272461758 This was made for my dads birthday about 3 years ago. It makes no sense, and the only thing I really like about it is the part where he gets out of the chair. I was so proud (still am) about that short sitting up animation.

I need to make some new stuff, I just haven't been inspired...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Animation on that was fantastic, loved the fluid movement of everything.

Here's a silly octopus I made for a friend so he could put it in some video (hence the green screen)

http://www.fastswf.com/kuxorfw

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

After not being an active animator since I was about 16, its been quite the ride getting back into it the last week. I'm in my second year of community college now and looking to transfer into an animation program. I was so blown away at how despite not animating for so long I was able to jump right into it and better than when I stopped. I know exactly what it was too, figure drawing. That poo poo gave me so much understanding behind animation that I totally lacked when I was younger.

Anyways, just wanted to share some small things I've been doing to get back into the groove of things. Possibly see if any of y'all had any advice on applying to animation programs.

http://www.fastswf.com/dr2mnPU
http://www.fastswf.com/l9RQCtg
http://www.fastswf.com/AiyOgfY

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

DON'T.

There is a glut of animators right now. There are too many schools, too many graduates, too many qualified people, and not enough jobs. You don't need to go to a program. You can teach yourself, there are sufficient online resources.

I'm aware it's not a necessity to go into a program to be in the field later, but I feel like its a great foot in the door and it would be valuable to be in that sort of learning environment. Also is the field really that saturated with people? I thought it was a really expansive industry considering there's so many applications for it.

I don't think I want to brush off transferring just yet, especially with the prospect of full ride scholarships.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

But beyond all the above, consider what the industry trends are really indicating. Studios are either squeezing animators on wages (or outright wage-fixing), using nonunion labor (thus lower wages and longer hours), or pulling up stakes and moving the whole business to China/India. Canada is great for now mostly AFAIK because of federal/province subsidies to encourage studios to employ Canadian labor, but it's widely viewed to be unsustainable.

The message behind all of this is, NOBODY VALUES THIS WORK. The studios want whatever they can get as cheaply as possible. They don't care about anything else. They are being very transparent about their intentions. And now young artists are just fighting each other for the few crumbs left on the tablecloth.

Going into animation I've always considered the likelihood that I wouldn't be working in my ideal job. I'd take anything related to motion design honestly. If I keep my net extremely wide is it still a near impossible to make a living? I'd also be open to freelance.

I didn't know the industry was so tough, it's pretty discouraging honestly.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

SRM posted:

...and technology all have educational videos that need animating, and people are starting to wise up and get tired of the really lovely outsourced stuff.

Interesting, I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice dude!

JuniperCake posted:

If you want a structured environment, hit up your local community college. Some do offer illustration and animation classes, and even if they don't, they'll have lifedrawing and traditional drawing classes which are still helpful. They probably wont have people like Feng Zhu teaching classes or whatever, but you can hit those kinds of people up on online workshops and what not if you really want to be taught by an industry person. Better to pay 1000 for one workshop then go into debt you won't be able to pay off at some of the 4 year art schools. Lots of good books and stuff on the net too.

You can also double major and have a back up plan if you go to a CC or reg 4year school so you have more options. Programming is actually a pretty good thing to double up with art cause Tech Artist jobs tend to pay more. There is quite a bit of money still in creating/maintaining art tools. Or if you have good designer skills and can program web stuff (HTML5, JScript) that could translate into well paying work too and you can prob work in your animation skills to boot.

At the very worst doing this would let you support yourself while you build up your reputation as an artist/animator with independent work. If you manage to get a sweet art gig, then you can always transition to that full time later. There's multiple routes but you should probably look into at least one back up plan.

I'm currently in my second year of CC enrolled in the fine arts program. You are totally on point about how much technical drawing skills help animation, I've noticed a huge improvement despite not animating for a very long time.

I've considered learning programming along with animating, they seem very useful for together generating effects as well as career opportunities. I am a little reluctant because of how difficult and complex it seems, plus maths.

Thanks for the advice man, I'll take it into consideration.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

I had no trouble telling its going into the computer, but making the coins a brighter color would emphasize their movement towards the screen without having to add more frames.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

College recruiters are gonna be rolling around my school soon and I wanna impress, critique very much appreciated. http://www.fastswf.com/Fyh1RbU

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Ccs posted:

Not bad, you've got a good sense of how to do an animatic. I'm a little confused as to what's going on in the part after he plugs into the giant speakers.

Thanks! It's my first time doing something a long these lines. And yeah he pretty much just gets super jolly like Scarycave said, I'm just winging the plot as I go.

scarycave posted:

He becomes super happy.
Also, I think its good.

Thanks dude!

nikochansan posted:

I really like this, good job! I especially enjoy the use of the music from Crater Face as temp music(?)

Thanks, the music is actually the permanent music, it feels so right and I loved it in Crater Face. Do you think it's too derivative?

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

An Ounce of Gold posted:

This is not bad at all. If you want me to try and knock it because you are going to have judgmental eyes on your work I'd say maybe show your walk cycle (which in an animatic is 100% not necessary) because you can get a good sense of an animators style with how they make someone walk/run. And maybe hold on the final shot a moment longer so it has time to register in my brain what I just saw.

Good idea, thanks for the advice!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

If you are just being judged on your timing skills then I'll echo the rest and say that's fine work. The birds going by fast were great. A lot of people will want to hold on that because they made it and want it to have screen time! Good job on not falling into that trap. A quick eye distraction on movement and recentered on the main object. Good job.

Thanks a lot man! I wasn't consciously trying to do that, but I was very pleased with the result too. I like when that happens :dance:.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Double post!

This channel has three short excerpts of Richard Williams teaching which are very neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INQx-Lzs8mU

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Ccs posted:

I love Richard Williams' work. But it's annoying how reading his book, you think you're learning how things move, and then it turns out his stuff is all formulas that apply to very specific cartoon animation, and don't actually mirror the way people actually move. I took an iAnimate course and the instructor was like "yeah, no one in the industry follows William's formulas anymore. Study live action reference to see how body mechanics works."

I mean they are clearly very stylized motion, but they are based on life, just exaggerated. If you learn from his work, you will still learn a lot you need to know about animation and movement, especially if the have the creative will to use what you learned and apply to to something more subtle like live action movement.

I would not recommend it as a sole source of learning, but it is excellent to begin in understanding animation and concepts that follow it.

scarycave posted:

Brains look like butts right?
Also this is cool, the animation is pretty solid, but your drawing needs some tightening up, namely the static hand/arm. You should practice figure drawing. I'm only going off this one piece so forgive me if I'm operating on too many assumptions, but your animation seems better than your drawing. I would even the playing field so to speak with plenty of still life and figure studies. Emphasize the dimensionality of what your drawing, and how it sits in space. In the case of figure drawing, focus on the weight and balance of the figure and how it flows through the body.

Look into maquetting your form, that is think of each piece as a basic shape. His arm that's not holding the straw could be thought of as 2 cylinders, one coming from the shoulder and the other attached to that one at the elbow. The forearm cylinder is coming towards the viewer a bit so throw in a line just to show to overlapping of the forearm with the upper arm, like you've done with the arm holding the straw in it beginning pose. Thinking of the body in that sense will give you the tools to look at movement in simple terms and be able to imagine it without reference. Speaking of poses, he seems to be a floating torso, consider his whole body even if its not in the frame. I think if he were hunched in a crouch position that would look creepy and suit the action

All that said, well done. The face has nice light active lines and the suction loop is effective, consider that line quality in the rest of it. You've incorporated the whole body into the movement and considered the order in which each moves rather than everything starting at once. Also the easing looks good where you've included it. For your animation you may want to think about throwing in a motion between the start and finish of your actions. An example I can think of would be a head turning: You could have the head look left to right, but you can spice up the motion by adding a little something-something between him looking left and right. Instead of just the straight left to right, make his head look down while turning, blink and then back look up right.

Sorry if I hit you over the head with a lot there, I understand its a short piece. I'm just giving you some stuff to consider.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Not with that attitude!

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Not that much animation involved in the making of this, but I had fun with it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC5i-QecS-Y

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Megaspel posted:

Sorta animation related. I've been working on and off on this rig for the past year or so, and I've finally finished with the rig breakdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO3uRNjEWfM

My next step is to tear down my website and build it back up again before my ad goes out in a couple days. Then I'll try and get an updated showreel cut together not too long after.

This is hilarious. Good job man!

Throwing this question out there: What should I learn in terms of programs if I want to be an animator? I'm trying to teach myself instead of drowning in debt at an art school. So far I have Illustrator, After Effects, Flash, Photoshop and 3dsMax. Thing is, I don't want to waste my energy learning aspects of programs that aren't necessary. Is learning just rigging and animation okay for 3dsmax? For After affects should I ignore things that are more geared towards video editing? Why should I even learn illustrator? I only got it because someone said I should know it as an animator. Should I learn how to animate in some other program than flash? I know flash very well bit I feel it comes with a lot of limitations.

Any help would be appreciated!

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

What kind of stuff do you WANT to animate? That's going to narrow it down a lot. I have no idea why someone told you to learn Illustrator. :confused:

I like character animation the most, it's really rewarding to be able to bring life to my drawings. I am only experienced with 2d though. I want to make my own cartoons, I've also thought about getting involved in making games in a small team. Thing is I also want a job, I want to be able to market myself as capable for a wide variety of jobs related to animation. I just want to cover all my bases.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Megaspel posted:

Do you have links to your existing work? My advice would change depending on where you're at currently.

I don't have much at the moment. I just graduated with an associates in fine arts from a community college and decided to pursue my longtime hobby of animation. I'm currently trying to do a weekly challenge for myself to build up a portfolio and practice. Here's what I've been working on since yesterday:

The movement is a little choppier than I'd like it, but as my first walk cycle in many years I'm pretty happy with it.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Megaspel posted:

Looks great, it'd be cool to see it when it's done.

Forget about illustrator, that's really only for graphic design I reckon. You don't really need more than a rudimentary knowledge of After Effects, but it definitely is rather helpful for finishing touches if you know what you do with it. From there it gets a bit more complicated, because it changes depending on your specialization.

I'm a mostly 3D dude, I use Nuke, Maya and After Effects mostly. Nuke is great if you know exactly what's going on, and what stuff you need to render out from Maya and what to do with it, you probably don't have to worry too much about Nuke though, but it couldn't hurt to just learn what you can do with it, to see if you're interested in taking it further.

Maya/Max is probably pretty similar, I think it's just down to preference between the two, but different companies prefer different packages when you go work for them. I think Maya is better for animation in general, but I haven't a clue how to use 3DS Max, so I could be completely mistaken.

For 2D animation I would choose between Toonboom and TVpaint. Toonboom is a bit more like Flash, except not poo poo and terrible in every way. It's based on vectors and has lots of room for rigging and tweening and all of that sorta stuff if you're interested. TVPaint seems more simple, raster based, but it doesn't feel like it's had quite as much development time as Toonboom appears to have had. I don't have much experience in either, I've been out of practice with 2D animation for a while, and I need to get back into it at some point. If you're used to Flash, you're probably best upgrading to Toonboom. Whatever you do, don't stick with Flash, it's dying, Adobe's not going to be improving it any more, not that they ever did, but Flash is so bad in so many ways, and after a week of learning Toon Boom or whatever, you'll be glad you've left it in the dirt. Plus I doubt many major animation studios use Flash any more, if you want to work at a studio.

Thanks for all the advice man!

3D is definitely the most daunting part of learning animation to me. Sculpting feels so unnatural and tedious, but I want to learn to do it on top of animation. I read that you can sculpt in Zbrush and then adjust the topology for animation, is that true/actually easier? I'll definitely be dropping Flash and Illustrator, and pick up toonboom.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Megaspel posted:

Yeah, Zbrush is great for sculpting, but it takes a lot of time and practice to learn all the buttons. I personally don't think the UI is fantastic or intuitive, but it seems to have the best engine, and I know a lot of sculptors who have many more hours put in than me, love it. There's definitely a massive learning curve for it at the beginning, but well worth the time.

The stuff you sculpt in Zbrush isn't going to be usable in animation until you retopologize it, like you said, you can do this inside of Zbrush, but I still haven't figured out how, something to do with the retopo gun, I'm sure there's plenty of tutorials.

Since I'm lazy, I tend to just import the mesh into Maya, set it as a live object so that when I move vertices, it snaps onto the object. From their I just create a new mesh and edge model it around the zbrush mesh. The retopo gun method is probably quicker and better, so it's probably best to figure that out than to go through my lazy yet probably less-efficient method.

But yeah, good topology is 100% necessary for not poo poo animation. If you have bad topology, that's going to mess up the deformation super bad and make everything look like garbage. General rules of thumbs I follow, try to stick to quads as much as possible, sometimes I break this rule and hide a triangle up the nose or something, and always be aware of your loops. A loop is like a line of quads basically, you have a loop around the eyes, circles really, around the mouth, then like around the bridge of the nose but also upper lips. Crazy stuff, but it can be fun if you like solving puzzles, just look at good examples of topology for a decent idea of what you want to end up with.

Interesting, I'll look into the retopo gun. Looking at it as a puzzle seems like the best way to avoid getting frustrated at it, I'll keep at it!

Ccs posted:

If I wanted to become a good 2D/3D animator on a budget I'd suggest 2 things:

Enroll in AnimSchool, an online animation school taught by pros at the big studios, and take a class or two from this lady: http://www.studio-technique.com/

That'll give you a really good basis in both 2d and 3D animation. You'd probably end up a better animator than a lot of people who drop 200k on a CalArts education, though you wouldn't quite have the connections and sensibility they develop there that gets them jobs as story artists and designers. But you'll be more prepared as an animator. And also not in debt.

Hm, I'll look into it. Right now I cant get the page to load, but I've bookmarked it for later.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Bitmap your stuff is inspirational man, I love it. Do you have any process videos or do you ever stream? I'd be really interested in watching you work.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

bitmap posted:

Thankyou!

I'm actually working on a blog to teach everyone how to animate. I'm navigating obtaining permission to show the entire process of a cartoon network spot I've been labouring over for a few months, which is rendering out right now. I'll post it all here as soon as I'm allowed to! :)

Ohh juicy stuff man, looking forward to it.

Anyways I just downloaded TVpaint after a long hiatus from animating. This program is soooo much better than flash holy poo poo.
Here's a silly thing I'm making to distract myself from my Loop de Loop project.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

An animatic for this months Loop de Loop, criticism is very appreciated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTyRG-UlJfA

I'm a little worried it doesn't loop very well since everything doesn't reset at the end.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

bitmap posted:

looks good, lot of cool framing. It'll be fun to edit and gently caress around with the timing. That said...think you can finish it? It's pretty ambitious for a loop!

In regard to the looping, that's the important part- reckon you could merge some of the final shots? like, he goes "MWA!" with his fingers in the same shot as the order printing, which with a cut in the middle becomes the first shot again? Just a thought.

I see what you mean by merging shots, I definitely could see that adding some more continuity. My biggest concern was that the stuff was not showed being put away (the cream cheese, pan and tobiko). Though I suppose that could have happened when the camera is not on the chef now that I think about it...

As for finishing it, it beats me. I have a bad habit of taking on projects and then ballooning them out to unmanageable proportions, this is no exception. Thanks for the tips though man!

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

I never ended up finishing the Loop challenge I posted before , got this far before deadline hit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G1cWgRHhzM
Might tie it up later.

I did finish my loop for this challenge though, I scaled back the idea quite a bit this round: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veXd4cf_ucI

Critique super appreciated as usual.

Edit: watching that video right now Neon Noodle, drat this is really helpful. Thanks for posting

Uriah Heep fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 26, 2017

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Neon Noodle posted:

Yes tie that up, finish that no matter what, it's wonderful. Great moods you have going on there in the layouts!

Aw poo poo you think so? :blush:

I'll definitely finish it up then

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Neon Noodle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YppKKHTVQo

Here's what I've been working on this week for an experiment.

This is awesome, wish I could do that much work in a week!

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Could use some critique on this before I go to clean it up. Something about the timing feels wonky to me, cant put my finger on it.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Neon Noodle posted:

The timing seems extremely even. If I were you I would shorten some of the 12f holds and give it a little more texture.

Someone told me the same thing verbatim. I've never heard the phrase texture when referring to animation timing though and googling only brings up unity stuff.

Here's a revised version, I tried to add a little more variety to the timing and sped up a couple of things, let me know what you think!

Edit: Sliiightly changed it again.

Uriah Heep fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 18, 2017

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Duck Party posted:

Let's get back into posting our loopdeloops here! This thread is far too inactive :(
I did this one for the last theme. 'Power'
https://vimeo.com/235288269

Wow, good job! That's such an ambitious loop, impressive.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Here is a animatic I'm working on for class, it has some confusing parts and it still needs work but I'm proud of how it's coming along

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTsXorr1nME

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

This is my final submission for my program. It's pretty rough around the edges and there's so much I'd continue to work on, I really had to rush to put in an ending sadly, but I am exhausted from all my work and at this point I'm calling it. that said there's also a lot I'm proud of in here and I learned a lot about production process and pipelines, workflows and whatnot. Hope yall like it

https://vimeo.com/541099565

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Ccs posted:

Art direction on this is really cool, and I like the variety you went with in the styles. If you're looking to work as an animator you'll probably need a reel of body mechanics and acting shots because studios don't really go for this whole "entire pipeline thesis film" thing anymore, but hopefully your program has prepared you guys for that with targeted assignments with feature rigs.

Thanks! Yeah I figured this whole project wouldnt exactly be my reel. I need to spend my summer doing more focused small scenes, I have some, but they are my first attempts at 3d animation and I really need to get a better handle on it. My critique of my program is its very generalist, Im not interested in game design and would have rather drilled deeper into animation than learn C# and Unity, but the school was the most affordable. Appreciate the feedback :)

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Aaron Blaise released a collection of some of his lessons for free for a limited time!
https://creatureartteacher.com/product/advanced-animation-separating-performance-from-mechanics/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

That looks awesome, something I've wanted to dip my toes into for a while