Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I'm trying to learn 2D animation with Blender, having never done any of this before in any software (beyond maybe some flash about 20 odd years ago), and I'm struggling a bit with the software itself. I've cleared out a lot of things so far but it's mostly through trial and error and hoping to find some lucky video on youtube where there's 2 frames of the interface visible where I can realise like "oh, it's in THIS panel, but only when THAT mode is active and i have THAT selected" and so forth

Does anybody have any good resources or tips for figuring out how to get more familiar with blender (particularly 2d animation) and a more consistent/educated way of approaching common patterns?

For example, I wanted to hide some collections in the viewport and render, realised you need to animate the property, tried to set that up, and then afterwards realised "ah actually it'd be cool to add an extra keyframe in there beforehand to allow it to fade out rather than just disappear" and that broke so much poo poo I don't even know how to get it back to where it isn't broken

So far I'm not getting too discouraged, I know it's a huge bit of software and I'm going to have to spend a lot of time mucking around and banging my head against things, but I also recognise that I need some actual education and reference material. It doesn't seem like blender is super popular for 2d animation yet either, so search results tend to skew towards the 3d models

e: just to clarify, I realise blender probably isn't the first choice for 2d animation, but the price is right and I want to get familiar with blender anyway. The idea is to eventually be able to use it to create game assets (2d/isometric for now and later 3d models, animated and static), so I figure at least this way I'm getting familiar with the general software

e2: also if there's a better overall workflow, like using another free software for preliminary stages and importing assets into blender later on please let me know. I did some research but there's just so much stuff out there and I'm not sure where to start

e3: i asked chatgpt and it said people dont really use blender for 2d animation so im going to try krita instead

boofhead fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

FunkyAl posted:

Opentoonz proving to be the best thing yet for timing drawn animation. Great x sheet and lip sync tools! I haven't finished any shot with it yet but the tools look comprehensive and useful for large products. Boof Head, check this one out.

huh, studio ghibli used it, they say? thanks for the shout, i downloaded it and i'll check it out