Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

All the dopeman did was not marry Strawberry.

"Ray misremembers his NWA" is the load-carrying piece of that particular alt text, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Yeah, it’s clearly Onstad’s wish fulfillment re: “What kind of parties would I throw and what kind of food would I eat daily if I had infinite money and infinite free time.”

Ray’s bottomless generosity with the wealth he stumbled into and complete fictionality keep him more sympathetic to me now then, say, Larry David on curb

Yup. Ray is the cool guy Onstad would want to be if he were rich, or maybe the cool guy Onstad wishes rich people actually were. Just wants all his friends to be happy and safe and that's how he fills his days, with maybe a little drinking/weed and Braveheart in his spare time. And even if it's total fantasy (even setting aside the fact that Ray is a comic cat, I mean), it's not hard to like that dude, 'cause he's a good dude.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Toebone posted:

I hope she's living her best life

The fact that she stays away from Pat indicates that she is!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

Godammnit Onstad don't gently caress this up too.

Let me buy your poo poo.

I don't think this is a "goddammit Onstad" as much as it is a "goddammit COVID."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Okay, Mitt Romney. Yeah, Ray is middle class, sure.

I see where that's coming from, actually. They wouldn't be anymore, but to me, too, Ray's family before Ray getting ultra-rich looks to me like the mid-century ideal of "middle class." Homeowners with enough disposable income that the kid gets whatever he wants and has a leg up when he hits adulthood, but he still goes to the same schools and participates in the same stuff as Roast Beef does. Adult Ray has made more money and is even better off, but before the record cash comes in, he's fancy in the "monogrammed towels from Wayfair" way, not yet the "millionaire" way.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Phy posted:

I think Cornelius and Teodor both figured this out at some point. I remember Connie explicitly mentioning in his blog that he felt a little bad about fleecing Ray at pool all the time, but, what's one to do?

I go back and forth about Teodor on this. He's clearly benefited from the Ray ATM at times (baseball cards, etc.), but he's the main cast member who's always broke and scrounging for rent money. So I'm not sure if he's making the Ray Orbit money but still living beyond his means, or if he's usually telling himself, "nah, I'm better than them, I don't need to mooch off Ray, I can work for my money," and then just... not doing that. Because in my head, Teodor is definitely the kind of character who would believe that kind of thing about himself despite the empirical evidence otherwise.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Pyrus Malus posted:

jesus christ I just realized achewood strips have alt text, time to reread

The main idea is that the cats are standing on their hind legs.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

"If the cannabis industry winds up as banal as the coffee industry, we will have finally earned our banishment from the garden" is a great late-Achewood line.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Windows Defender is not only still the best at virus and spyware protection, other virus software (like Avast, which has been caught selling users' browser histories, among other problems) is now basically spyware itself.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Phy posted:

It's the end of The Second Party, which is the party I always think of as The Party despite it being The Second Party. Like, I don't remember much from the original party, but this one's got Ray throwing a party just because his toilet bowl is so blue. It's got Pat's loving carob prunes and Todd's shank artistry, it's got "Your activities are so poorly conveyed" and Teodor paying Little Nephew way too much for pot, it's got Ray Gets Sort Of Stoned. It is one of the months of the comic that is densest with Achewood.

The toilet party arc also starts a year to the day before the GOF arc. I don't know why that sticks with me, but it does.

Zereth posted:

Doesn't Molly move back to earth because Heaven burned down?

While the comic doesn't strictly back this up, I always got the impression that Molly hired Trouble Man and No-No to burn down her part of Heaven with her inside, so that she could go back to Earth and be with Roast Beef, which is another point in the "Molly only ever acts because of Beef" column. Trouble Man tells Beef that since Beef died early (like Molly), if he commissions them to murder him in Heaven, he'll get a free pass back to Earth. Since there's no other explanation for the fire, I just assumed Molly had commissioned them to murder her.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

bony tony posted:

I think that's an issue endemic to cisdude writers. "What if a woman had agency" is such a foreign concept to a lot of them.

It's also an issue endemic to webcomic writers of the time. Which doesn't get Onstad off the hook at all, but he was far from alone here. Loss came out a month before Beef and Molly's wedding, to give a sense of where webcomics were at then.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

When Cornelius is a main or supporting player in a story, he's usually written pretty well. When he's background, yeah, he's the laziest kind of "old upper-class" cliche. Which is probably why his out-of-character stuff from the early days is more entertaining to me.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

There was a second run of more modern ones in maybe the 80s-90s? Still for kids but they would occasionally fight like terrorists instead of bandits wearing prison stripes.

Yeah, there have been a bunch of "now we're modern!" or "now we're less racist!" spin-off series. I'm not sure about this part of their Wiki description, though:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

I always read the Rutabaga thing as Mensa presenting all this flowery language for their dipshit puzzle and Ray reading none of it at all, just signing his name and enclosing a check, because he doesn't find the extra money to be worth his time

Likewise. "Thanks!" is the lampshade on that for me.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I couldn't get anything postworthy to come out (always a little too fast and not quite getting the phonetics right) but I tried typing some of the Mister Band lyrics into that thing that synthesizes famous voices saying whatever you type that became popular this week and if anyone wants to create a humorous post that or some other well-known Achewood phrases would be a good experiment to try

I feel like this would be the starting point if I thought those voices would be there.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Philippe posted:

If you're gonna get a tattoo of Ice Cream Headache you need to get a tattoo of buff Philippe, with the tattoo

I am now picturing Philippe addressing a tattoo artist saying what he says in your avatar.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Go ahead, thread. Try. Try to buy fake nuts for your cell phone.

It is so hard to buy fake nuts for your cell phone that Ray ended up entering a 3,000-competitor fight and not just winning, but also uprooting the figurative and literal foundations of the fight.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is "do what you got to do, but do what you need to do, too" an Achewoodism or do I have it rattling around my head from somewhere else?

Nathan says it to Téodor in the back of Nice Pete's van during the high school arc.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07042010

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

I dunno I could see Roast Beef saying it if mad enough, after all he did tell Pat he would taste his hog

I always assumed it was Beef, his mouth is open and the font looks Beef-sized.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jesus Christ :iceburn:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Javid posted:

We are never going to see that book.

The publisher dragging Onstad on Twitter probably means they've given up on seeing it themselves, yeah.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

"Obvious-style Christianity" is an Achewoodism right?

Yup.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Around December 2007, Onstad is really firing on all cylinders. You've got Nolan from the Internet, Cornelius gets a tattoo, Little Nephew's jeans, Nice Pete and basketball, Ray jumps a motorcycle on his computer, being in trouble is a fake idea -- just banger after banger

The bold ones aren't originally December 2007, he just reposted them Christmas week since he didn't have new comics.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Philippe posted:

If Ray existed in real-life 2023, he would go on Joe Rogan.

It'd be Ray agreeing to go on Rogan because "hell, yeah, man! Fear Factor guy!" Then a week of strips of Beef and Teodor trying to tell him that Rogan's actually gone way off the good path and Ray refusing to listen, culminating in Ray on Rogan where the entire second half of the strip is just Ray making the "I shot Phillippe with Airwolf" face.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

RocketMermaid posted:

Dear ROAST BEEF,

I am sorry that I WENT ON JOE ROGAN AND LISTENED TO HIM SAY SLURS ABOUT THE GUYS ACROSS THE STREET FOR AN HOUR. It was my fault. I never meant for it to happen. I never dreamed it could.

I am also sorry that DON'T PUT MONEY IN THAT DOG CURRENCY HE ADVERTISED and that THAT 10-MINUTE CALL-IN TODD MADE WAS HILARIOUS THOUGH for a little while. I hope you feel the same way.

I mean this. I mean every word.

RAY!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I am excited about the possibilities!

If it nonetheless falls apart like his previous ventures, I request the thread be retitled "jive-rear end in a top hat cartoonist."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ray definitely has a specific voice in my head but any time I try to identify anything about it I completely forget what it sounds like

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Subway is very good if you're a duck, too.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah,

disaster pastor posted:

They wouldn't be anymore, but to me, too, Ray's family before Ray getting ultra-rich looks to me like the mid-century ideal of "middle class." Homeowners with enough disposable income that the kid gets whatever he wants and has a leg up when he hits adulthood, but he still goes to the same schools and participates in the same stuff as Roast Beef does. Adult Ray has made more money and is even better off, but before the record cash comes in, he's fancy in the "monogrammed towels from Wayfair" way, not yet the "millionaire" way.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

diplomacy's a tough tattle

(is "that other one" that's still up the one where Philippe gets a cute amount of money for a cute little guy after describing a poor golf shot?)

That one is indeed still up, and I also assumed it was the one being referred to.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

and I'm also not familiar with whatever reason would make the o sound like a uh :shrug:

It's just that the emphasis is on the syllable before it, so the unemphasized vowel weakens toward the ə sound, like in "dragon" or the second o in "bottom."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

more falafel please posted:

Or like the first o in Theodore. Theodore, Téodor.

This is a much more sensible example!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Pershing posted:

Did we ever find out who Corliss was?

Corliss is Roast Beef's mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

people often say that Mike Judge is some kind of visionary genius and I honestly don’t get it

People realized late in its run that Beavis and Butt-head wasn't just about the antics of two antisocial idiot teenagers but that there was a seed of a point in there about how society was failing kids and of course these two are what you get when that happens, and Judge has been coasting on that seed for nearly thirty years.

(and obviously it's no coincidence that most of the ways "society was failing kids" sprung out of the Reagan years, but that people didn't take notice until the Clinton years)