Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

homeless poster posted:

Plus, his whole statement about how he's just like Louis CK and the freemium content model is the wave of the future doesn't hold water with me; I just recently noticed that he took down that "EXCLUSIVE CONTENT" banner from the top of achewood.com that was linking to all of the old premium content with the caveat that you should donate what you feel it was worth. I would guess that nobody felt very inclined to donate after his shady history as a merchandiser!

It's still there for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

More and more it seems like if I want to live in any semblance of culture in this country, I have to move to Portland.

I don't know where you live now, but I haven't found this to be the case.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Edit:oops, wrong thread.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Telex posted:

Adult Swim is 10 years ago in terms of pushing that envelope.

Go watch Archer, which is not on Adult Swim. Other networks are doing it, especially since Comedy Central decided they could push things all the way to the edge and nobody really seemed to have a huge problem.

There are a whole bunch of shows out there, animated or not, that are being given free reign to ruin themselves or succeed these days and if Achewood is going to be a real thing it can live on a whole lot of networks at 11pm and be just fine as long as it gets ratings.

Yeah. A lot of channels are actively courting that niche, like FX and IFC. Even Fox is gunning for it -- they hired some former Adult Swim execs and are doing adaptations of stuff like Axe Cop.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Cautiously optimistic, but I feel like it's going to be really hard to translate.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Eel hovercraft posted:

After watching the test footage like 10 times, Ray's voice has really started to grow on me. Onstad as Roast Beef is also just perfect :3: .

Also, I really hope a complete version of the theme song surfaces soon.

Good news (kind of)!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

One interesting thing I noticed—Tina is in the Toilet Party clip. I wonder if she's going to be a bigger character in the show than she is in the strip (which I'd be totally okay with, as the Ray & Tina Reunited arc was hilarious and I've always felt Onstad could have done more with the character).

She had a character page when "The Russians" account was still accessible, so it looks like they plan on her being a bigger part.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

A lot of the archive strips are in color (e.g.). When did that become A Thing?

I'm not seeing any other than those few.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 3, 2013

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Filthy Haiku posted:

Fine, I'm going to go ahead and be the horse's rear end that has to ask this fool of a question:

What the hell is a Crispy Stella?

A Stella Artois that is cold.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

withak posted:

There is a notable absence of cookbooks.

quote:

Please know I'm working to restore that relationship—first and foremost by addressing the second cookbook—and will have more news on that to share with you soon.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Revol posted:

I really want to replace my 'The Dude Has No Mecry' shirt, which has never fit me. But man, $25. That's pretty pricey.

I don't know, that seems to be the going price for t-shirts that aren't mass produced.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Jet Jaguar posted:

Saw this last night:

https://twitter.com/achewood/status/326208382098870273

Roast Beef in "Nighthawks" plus... balloon men?

There were also a few panel previews.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Some dialogue just shouldn't be read aloud.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Pakled posted:

I had the thought in the back of my mind that Onstad was only updating Achewood again because he figured his pitch for the animated series would be stronger if the webcomic was active, but hell, this is going above and beyond. It's so great for Achewood to be back.

I sort of have the opposite worry -- that all this content was created back when he was still positive about the show's prospects, and the steam will run out sooner rather than later.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Edit: nevermind.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

2023 Goon Project: do the Achewood TV series that Onstad shopped around ~a decade ago

Love Toby Huss but its not really dialogue that needs to be spoken out loud

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

One small touch I’ve always loved is that Ray and Teodor get definitive deaths and tombstones while Beef just disappears into the void

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I wouldn’t mind a capper that’s like under 10 strips. Much-later endings are usually interesting even if they aren’t good, what’s been kicking around in a creator’s head for years isn’t always what you’d expect

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The page for it on the Oni Press site gives you a 404, it ain’t happening

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

2 patrons

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Doesn’t the listing say there’s several months of strips already available?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress goddammit poo poo, gently caress. I would love to be able to read new Achewood but I also severely restrict myself on what I'll pay a subscription service for. Not that this is anything Onstad should (or would, or even could) give the slightest gently caress about, but man this sucks*.

* It is very, very, very loving cool that Achewood is back, and I hope the whole thing is a big success.

Just wait a year, get a $5 sub, catch up then cancel

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

I think I remember seeing some of the pilot or some portion of the Achewood show floating around. The voices didn't match what I imagined the characters should sound like in my head was my takeaway.

https://youtu.be/b_97q16TFxk

It’s bad

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I guess I don’t have an artistic objection to it but it’s still kind of weird! If I was going to relaunch my comic strip my initial move would not be to hire four engineers

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Larry Cum Free posted:

Todd sounds like Tweak from South Park

Yeah, this is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

mutantIke posted:

My favorite part of that strip is that it was published several months before the release of Southland Tales, meaning Wallace Shawn was possibly ears deep in Bai Ling's cleavage just giggling his head off.

Wallace Shawn is by all accounts a horny little gremlin