Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
God drat. I'm rendered speechless. It makes me want to start a religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Muffin Loaf posted:

I don't think you "get" the point spillane and I were trying to make.

Also, yes, this strip was pretty good. Probably not going to post in this thread much anymore, have fun reaffirming your own opinions off of each other

The point was, Spillane decided to use his/everyone's retarded LF posting style to try to criticize something in a non-LF thread.

If he had brought his criticisms about in a way that was thoughtful and coherent, not LF-style lazyposting, with no usage of any punctuation, capitalization or anything resembling intelligent discussion, then maybe people would have given a gently caress.

But he was so hardcore into the LF mindset that he actually used the "post someone's avatar ironically" schtick. Therefore, gently caress him.

Personally, I AM tired of the magical realism arcs, and the super-serious stuff that takes about three weeks to wrap up. I agree that Onstad goes to that well too often, and it would be nice to see more continuity-free silliness. However, that isn't to say that Achewood has become a webcomic I Will Not Read.

In fact, Achewood is, and will continue to stay the only webcomic in my bookmarks toolbar, so I can open it with one button click. I love Achewood and don't think that it's gotten worse. I'd just like for a little more time spent on silly Phillippe jokes, Teodor being a nerd, maybe some more of Charley and Ray and Beef and all that...

But for a free webcomic that I haven't bothered paying anything for in about a year, I'm pretty satisfied with my "investment" in the comic. It's good, free entertainment.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
See, this is why I don't have a problem with magical realism. I do miss the good ol' days of one-offs every two-three days, but with stuff of this quality...

Goddamn, I love Achewood.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I've experienced some pretty severe pain in my life, but I'm not sure whether any of it would be considered "tremendous." Do I still have something to look forward to :ohdear:

Of course you do.

EVERYONE always has pain to look forward to.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

McGravin posted:

Do you really want to get into this argument (in which you are wrong)?

Hal Jordan is the worst of all Lanterns and only bad people like Mister Generic.

Rot Lop Fan and Ch'P are best Lanterns. :colbert:

Also, I hope this ends up in a big long storyline, and makes Beef want to go get fixed, with Ray coaching him.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I always raise my eyebrow and wink as they stare at me knowingly.

I'm creepy.

I put my hands on my hips and pose dramatically.

God, I wish I could make a fanfare play in my everyday life.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I keep loading up Achewood.com, and every time I do, I see Philippe on the "protein roll" and fall apart laughing.

I want to see that as a real advertisement, if there ever becomes an Achewood animated series and/or movie.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna say it.

Cornelius is more badass and manly and hardcore than Rodney Stubbs.

Edit: And I KNOW that they probably wouldn't fight because gentlemen don't need to or some malarkey...

But Cornelius still tops the Man With Blood On His Hands. :colbert:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The one thing I don't get about this whole arc is why Ray didn't send Philippe home when he made it big.

I think I know why, considering this very same storyline. Ray probably didn't want to just give the kid the money, but thought he should earn it, because, in the same way that Ray provided competition for Philippe, Ray didn't want Philippe to think the world would just give him stuff.

However, I still think that's a jerk way of rationalizing "He's too cute to not have around".

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I'd prefer to wake up with Chuckle-Bot looming over me than Nice Pete staring at me through the window.

Honestly, waking up with any of the Achewood cast looming over me would be bad news.

Even Philippe. Midnight wake-ups are awful in this neighborhood.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Never start at the beginning.

Start with the arc of Ray going to Hell, or Phillippe trying to find the brown couch.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nice Pete looks so genuinely happy to have drawn an odd caricature on his belly, that someone wants to touch.

...:frogsiren:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ashenai posted:

I think I would like to see Breast Attack on gently caress Mountain. (No one spoil it for me please.)

gently caress Mountain was bulldozed after the Breast Attack. :(

Now it's a parking lot.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shanty posted:

I don't know, I read it as Pete having trouble even coping with the concept of a test. Like he has literally no idea what T is saying, it's just a hole in his experience and that is a harsh reality.

Everyone knows what a test is.

He's never had to deal with a life-changing test about simple vocabulary.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

poor and weird posted:

You guys do remember that Nathan gave a guy a handie in the middle of a Denny's, was completely unfazed when he saw Teodor bruised and bleeding in the back of a van, and then immediately began coercing him into performing oral sex when he woke up right? This isn't just "two normal guys thrown into a situation".

And if people really think that THAT represents a good way for Teodor to come out of the closet (not that I ever got the impression he was in the closet to begin with), then I don't even know what to say to any of you guys.

I'm unconvinced that Nathan gave Nice Pete a handie. He DID probably touch Nice Pete's dick, but I don't believe that it went further than that.

Also, seriously, shut up, stop obsessing over cartoon dicks. Nathan isn't representative of all old gay men, he's representative of Nathan, a Huge Freaky Creepshow.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

McGravin posted:

And Scrambles the puppy?

And who ate Ray's dang nachos?

e: DAMMIT!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GigaPeon posted:

Maybe Chris is in real mortal peril while we stand here waiting, and in a few days, we'll all receive certificates declaring us "Cowards Who Would Desert A Dying Man."

All he needs to do is twitter that he needs help and where he's at and I'm on the road.

Show me the man threatening Chris Onstad, and I'll show you someone about to go on a field trip to Headlock City.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dodgeball posted:

2004 Achewood was the best Achewood.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12292004

I spent the whole evening since I saw the link to the beginning of the Goth arc rereading 2004 Achewood.

It really was some of the best times that Achewood ever had. Plotlines didn't get overbearing, multi-line strips didn't slow Onstad down, it was so lighthearted at times and so badass at times...

Roast Beef got all badass on Gramma K, Samuel H. Invisible, Pat got hardcore and shot Cornelius, the various strips about Phillippe running for President were hilarious, Tommy the Tummy, Manes, Ray jumping the bike on his desktop over Mount Everest...

Wow. Sometimes I forget how awesome Achewood is, and rereading a solid time period like this reminded me that Onstad is the loving man.

Come back to us, Onstad, and make silly fart jokes with your two cat main characters. I promise, I'll love you like I always did.

Don't be like this, baby.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 14, 2010

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Chris Onstad, do you need a hug?

I will give you a hug if you want it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't care what storyline Onstad continues, I just want to see the dude get to at least a strip a week. I just want my Achewood to get goin' again. Love this poo poo.

(Anyone who is hugely obsessed with seeing the Teodor-in-the-van story continue just wants to see another dose of raging hard cat cock)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Happy Hippo posted:

WRONG, DOGG.

I just think that it's bullshit to not follow up on it. That was as huge moment in T's life and to leave us hanging like that is bewildering.

I appreciate that Achewood is unconventional and does things that surprises the readers but what if an arc like the GOF was abandoned mid-story? Or Beef and Molly's wedding?

Maybe Onstad wrote himself into a corner..? I don't know. But some sort of an explanation would be great. Hopefully there isn't some personal emergency that he's dealing with but even if it is then a simple, "Hey guys, sorry about the trickling output this past 6 months but I'm preoccupied with more important matters these days" would be a step in the right direction.

It's just frustrating because it's such an amazing strip.

Man, look.

I know raging hard cat cock is tempting. I'm tempted. But Onstad's moved on. I've moved on. Maybe... Maybe it's time that you moved on too.

Moved on from the cat cock.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Dunno about you guys but I don't even see it as "cat cock", I just see it as "cock". Similarly I'm often not seeing the characters as "oh hey Roast Beef THE CAT, isn't it funny that A CAT is being depressed", it's just "oh hey Roast Beef and Ray are driving down a highway talking about asleep-style".

Dunno about you, but cats rule.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Android Blues posted:

They've been having a fundraiser to "keep the servers firing" since the slow updates started, and he mentioned a funeral at some point on his twitter iirc. The funds at least seem a germane issue! (i learned that word at talk like a dick school)

Putting out a tip jar and actually telling the fans what's wrong and what he needs the money for are two totally different things.

If Onstad published a thing on the achewood front page saying that he needs money because his baby needs a cowlick replacement operation post haste or something, I'd fling money furiously at him to try to fix it.

But just putting out a sign saying "Hey, you should donate maybe why not" doesn't seem too... desperate.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dove from Above posted:

The first time I saw him doing that I thought 'whoa he's in a bad way.'
Then I thought wait, he's a cat. My cats aren't depressed and they do that all the time.

How do you know?

And don't say "Because they come up to me all happy-looking, purr and try to get me to pet them" because that may be the one shining moment of glorious happiness in their miserable, depressed, horrible lives!

Wow, this started out as a joke and now I want to hug my kitty.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Onstad has fallen into the "creator's trap", wherein he puts off making a new (something), but has it in the back of his mind. The longer he puts it off, the worse he feels about the delay, and the less he wants to go back to doing (his thing) because he worries about the backlash until eventually he just hopes everyone will forget about it and let him move on and writes it off completely.

Or maybe his baby is keeping him busy.

I miss Achewood!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

He's produced a shitload of content the last couple of weeks but it's all on the fanflow for people who pay for stuff as opposed to getting it for free. I love Achewood and I'd love to get more stuff for free but I can't criticize a guy for focusing on his paying customers first.

He's produced a shitload of content I don't want.

Let's be real, if I wanted to read a novel, I'd read a novel. I'd buy an Onstad-penned novel in a heartbeat, no problem. I think he'd be great at writing novels, like Christopher Moore.

But I come to the Achewood website to read his comic, and if he's trying his hand at creative writing, that's great for him, but I'm not looking to read his longform short stories when I go to the Achewood site. If he were dropping comics in the fanflow, I'd resubscribe and go read them.

Maybe I'm just being difficult here, but I want more Achewood comics, or I want an actual novel to read. I loving hate reading long stuff off the computer. That's why I still don't own a Kindle.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dominion posted:

Maybe. He might also just be depressed and have low motivation to really do anything. I've been there, so I get it.

He doesn't even have to be depressed. "Brain problems" could be shorthand for "Writer's block" or "Lack of interest in characters I've been writing since 2001". Ten years is a long time to write the same story.

He might not want to admit that he needs a change, he might have decided to take a vacation, he might just be enjoying being a father. All of which can be construed as "brain problems".

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey whoa. I've been pushing that viewpoint for fuckin' months now. I totally agree with you. I've just gotten tired of people going "oh he must be depressed, he's so depressed :ohdear: :ohdear:"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
See, this is exactly what I wanted. I'm satisfied with this explanation, regardless of what you haters are sayin'. All I wanted was to know for sure.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

With Chris putting Achewood on hold and Pratchett soon retiring from writing due to his Alzheimers I'm not going to have anything witty as gently caress left to read no more.

Nice of him to finally tell us though, I wish The Simpsons faded into a possible long term hiatius like it has done.

Yes you do, the author's name is Christopher Moore. He's not as amazing as Terry Pratchett, but anyone who likes Onstad/Pratchett would probably enjoy Moore's work.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
How come people haven't actively pursued that?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
On the minus side, I will never own a complete run of Achewood, like I can for Bloom County or Calvin and Hobbes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DocFrance posted:

I've made a point of ending every story I tell with "The end! No moral."

You can't just say that and not post the link.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

gently caress YOU NOW I'M STUCK READING THE ENTIRE WEDDING ARC

Why was Achewood so good, and now completely gone? I wish I could somehow buy a Marvel/DC Comics "Omnibus" version of Achewood.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skyscraper posted:

He's asking why he had to take the fries OUT to turn up the heat.

Going slowly from one temperature to the other will likely also overcook them.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Locus posted:

Also I recall someone losing money on books despite people ordering, and consequently having to sell their eyeballs. So more orders might not have been the solution to anything.

And Onstad hasn't even fulfilled a shitload of orders, according to people in this very thread.

When the dude didn't even get product to his paying customers, something's up.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Clitch posted:

I don't remember any mention of Roast Beef trying anti-depressants, and that's always bugged me.

Has it been talked about in any of the expanded Achewood material?

I can guarantee that Gramma K has convinced him that those fancy medicine pills are for quitters and the Rich.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want more god damned flowcharts.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

YES! HI! :3:

That is why I want more Achewood flowcharts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Make that three.