Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

qntm posted:

Lyle's penmanship is impressive considering how bad his spelling is in the blogs.

Maybe he dictated the note to Cornelius.

Lyle actually types perfectly when he's trapped in the girl's school while visiting Scotland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Maybe now that we have Cookbook 2 we can find out who ate Ray's dang nachos.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Zereth posted:

He clearly went to a teppanyaki place. Which was first, he started motoring after that.

The Nate Small Luncheon was Beef's final act as an unmarried man.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Chris wasn't kidding calling them a catacombs so deep there ain't no goodbyes. My last full Achewood archive binge I finally read all of the blogs as well in chronological order and man some of Onstad's best character work is in there. Stuff like Ray's horrifying machete party just could not translate to the comic page.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Am I being weird by correlating Molly's decline as a character with Onstad's divorce and dark mental health period? I don't want to think Onstad would be as crass as to WIFE BAD his own webcomic but it's inarguable that by the end of Achewood's run Molly's purpose was to yell at Roast Beef.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I guess my issue with Molly as a character is that she has almost nothing in the comic that exists outside of Beef. She's either Beef's saving angel or a hellish shrew screeching in his ear. I agree that Roast Beef as a character is a representation of the realities of clinical depression, and Molly becoming progressively more frustrated with Beef's behavior is believable, but she doesn't get much of anything outside of how she responds to Beef's issues.

This is also another great reason to read the blogs, because all of Molly's character (as well as Tina's, since the thread was just talking about her) is contained within her blog. And the thing is, her blog is by far my favorite of any of them! Onstad is actually really good at writing a woman character with a distinct voice and hilarious shenanigans! Molly having to deal with the insane management of the restaurants she's always shuffling between is hilarious and peak Achewood to me. I wish we could've seen more of that in the comic itself, I guess.

Also, here is the future webcomic you requested!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

You know what, I actually decided to go and take a look at all of Molly's appearances since the wedding arc, and she actually only bodily appears in nineteen comics out of three hundred and four - only 6.25% of comics have her in it! I don't expect Achewood of all comics to depict matrimonial happiness but Jesus Christ a lot of it really is that Roast Beef is a massive loving rear end in a top hat to her. I guess the most damning comic of them all was this one where Onstad makes his opinions on the Marital Question pretty clear.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The R I S O T T O on the counter is funny enough, but the fact that Teodor evidently trusted an idiotic five year old to somehow prepare risotto is the real highlight of that arc.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Cue old timers groaning about the price of a lid

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I'm coming for your baby, Sssssondra

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Man things ain't never the same once you seen a dude's stew.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Chas McGill posted:

I can't remember - did Cornelius have any interactions with Ray's dad?

Browsing through the archives it looks like the answer is no, which is a huge missed opportunity. Ramses got a bunch of great interaction moments with most of the cast during the wedding plotline but him talking to Cornelius just didn't happen.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Ray nearly has a heart attack and dies right then and there when he sees Ramses extend his hand for a handshake first

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Please get a matching "BATHS ONLY" poster for your bathroom

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Look at you with that new poster! How could you BE so cocky?!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Cookbook 2 happened, literally anything in the world is possible now

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

drrockso20 posted:

Rod was a nice addition to the cast if for nothing else than the fact that he helps ground Pat and soften some of his worst tendencies, at least from my recollection of my last complete read through of just the comics, haven't reached that point on my current one where I'm reading the blogs too so it's possible I could be wrong(much like how reading the blogs as well has completely changed how I look at Tina as a character or how it gives Molly a lot more depth)

My favorite thing in Achewood in all together probably is the one act play where Pat and Rod go in a date. It's great to see Pat actually in a good mood and not being a total rear end in a top hat while still maintaining a slight douche edge. Great character writing.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I like how Pat, though he understands the severity of the Magreaux dog and is completely sympathetic, is still being an rear end in a top hat by bringing up having to prepare for Ray's death. You just know he's thinking about Ray's fortune. The subtler ways Pat is a cock is where he shines.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Jerusalem posted:

Is that the one where they find "our place"? I thought that one was wonderfully sweet :)

Yep, from the Print Only Rarities. A lot of great stuff in here.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

smarxist posted:

One of my favorite Lyle moments is when he was trying to get something from Teodor I think over the phone and when he wouldn't do it Lyle just starts yelling in an annoying voice like "EUUUGH" over and over but i can't find the strip, anyone know?

This one right here.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Not exactly the reboot I would've wanted, but definitely the reboot I'm going to accept.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

so I never paid much attention to the blogs, but reading them mixed with the comics now and Teodor tormenting Onstad with Risotto for weeks straight is killing me

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Scags McDouglas posted:

I was thinking about it and some of my favorite moments are when two characters only have a single interaction in the whole series. Because there's no precedent, there's no way to predict how it turns out but it seems natural in retrospect.

See also Ramses and Iorweth embarassing themselves over a stand mixer, Lyle and Vlad going out during the GOF to fight in the yard, Teodor getting a boner while hugging Molly, all classic moments.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

mutantIke posted:

My younger brother gifted me a plain black t-shirt that says, in unassuming white font, "I AM NOT A SEX OFFENDER". I've worn it exactly once, at his behest. I understand your plight

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

mutantIke posted:

idk why you'd post that instead of the original

Well I'll be damned. I've got a few angry anonymous asks to send.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

JethroMcB posted:

I was there with my buddy, we were both 22/23 at the time, it was mid/late afternoon and we were in full "Let's get a bottle for our WILD Friday night (of hanging out at his apartment playing Wii)" mode. The guy at the register was older, the kind of guy who likely took the job part-time out of boredom after 6 months of retirement, and was probably just looking to hassle the boisterous kids who interrupted his otherwise quiet afternoon shift. "The back of your shirt says you're depressed! I don't know if it's wise for me to sell alcohol to somebody who goes around advertising that kind of thing."

This is basically what Roast Beef was terrified would happen to him

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Oh so is that what that poo poo is called. Bane of elementary schools everywhere

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Any Achewood comic where you can see a penis is an all-timer.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Aaaaahhh...a snap of the cap for the cat with the... What Bensington intended to end that rhyme with has haunted me for years.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I think about "Talk about your lesser works of Christo!" whenever I see anything wrapped up in plastic out and about

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Happy Hippo posted:

Take the Latino Health Crisis with you.

Also, I am looking for that image of Ray drinking straight from the wine bottle while on the toilet. Who has it? Give me it please

I am afraid the master of the house is indisposed at the moment!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Cartilage Head! This was also my first exposure to Achewood.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I quote "Perfect Friends." almost on the daily.

It is horrible that we are still allowing the bald-faced lie that they are "Searching 100% of our comics".

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Ray asks Beef a single question about what bitcoin is and ignores Beef's detailed answer on why it's for idiots and destroys the environment and Ray cashes out right when it hit 12

e; More likely is that Ray remembers he bought 50 bitcoins in 2010 and hearing Beef say they "waste hell of electricity" motivates him to cash out, causing the major bitcoin crash

Youremother fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 11, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

It's a falcon, and yes.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

A second cookbook and now new Achewood strips? Jesus Christ literally nobody could have predicted these things happening, somebody check on the temperature of Hell. Also they redesigned the site and it links to blogs that were published on the same day as strips! That's a HUGE improvement!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I don’t have any money and will not be doing this but I’m happy onstad is back on the horse. Hope it’s good

Same here, it's a shame. Would love to get into the inner circle on this one but hey, who knows what'll happen

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

How Wonderful! posted:

If somebody has a funny one I'll change it tonight, otherwise just something like "Achewood is BACK" maybe?

Achewood Thread 12: Hey, look! We're back! What happened?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

At least the fee can be cancelled if the well dries up, unlike a preorder