Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

where will the achewood thread go and where will the Øyvind Thorsby thread go? these are the things I will miss most from the comic chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Erebus posted:

Make a discord that's exclusively one person wandering in every few weeks to say "heh remember the one about the nachos"

right now there's a goon coder working alt-text into discord

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My first post on this dumb site is here and I would be kind of sad to see that little weird insight into 21-year old me go.

the beef of a lad looking towards the ray of a man holding an almost comically ridiculous shotgun. your story is the forums story.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

what happened that he ended up with cyborg ears when he was doing the commencement speech?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

man, sorry, the best expectation/reality joke...just so quick

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03272002

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there was a cafe in san jose whose menu was entirely buddhist style meat analogue dishes. that was some of the tastiest food I've ever bolted down into my cavernous belly.

it comes down again to onstad's razor: pat is an rear end in a top hat

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

in defense of "fast times" it had one of my favorite lines: anything is possible in a nice van. it had one of my favorite endings, where all of ray's capital and power doesn't solve things, beef's observational skills, wits and honesty do. talking the crazy man out of doing bad things by pointing out that high school is awful, regardless of what movies may have told you, is a master stroke.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

knowin' what to do so well he ain't got to do much of anything

that's not quite the line

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

drrockso20 posted:

I wouldn't call it the worst but I do agree that it's not very good

yeah, sorry thread, but I concur

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also, I highly doubt that Ray knows hitmen.

ray's on real good terms with the city cops

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the one after or before when teodore's mouth falls off revealing woman lips is also p good

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Stringent posted:

he's pretty lovely to little nephew too

drrockso20 posted:

to someone who didn't deserve it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

tori amos would need so many hugs if she were here right now

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Phy posted:

Look at how many underwear Beef bought. Does he - does he just wear one a day and toss it? DOES ROAST BEEF NOT WASH HE GODDAMN UNDERPANTS

(actually given his experiences in laundromats I could kinda understand that)

the waves of the totally a thing that character would do joke crashing against the hard and unforgiving shore of what would this actually look like or entail in practice

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

he moved out to ray's poolhouse. I don't think ray was really on him for first last and deposit

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

where is the strip where ray ponders what to do with his garbage can? where he's imagining serving "community wine" out of it and himself as oscar the grouch singing who wants to know why my cookies taste sooo bad

e

never mind

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04092009

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 17, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

drrockso20 posted:

The only fault with The Second Party is that Ultra Peanut is in it and like every time she shows up past her debut she drags the comic down due to being a terrible character

jeremy parish had a chinese g/f who went by "ultra potato" roughly contemporaneously with the ultra peanut strips and I always wonder if there's a connection

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Nessus posted:

You could probably get a paper out of Achewood's approach and inclusion of Latino/Mexican culture and what it says about white guys who make craft soda.

if I remember my onstadt interviews it mostly comes down to different kinds of vanilla

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I kind of want to buy a signed framed print. how desperate is onstadt right now? will he take a few cans of stagg's chili?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

p sure lyle has a "vanity mustache" because the stuffed animal onstad drew him after had a "vanity mustache"

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

never knew the love of a woman who keeps raisins in her purse

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

is rod huggins topless in the restaurant?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

How Wonderful! posted:

She felt betrayed by Warm Leatherette

until very recently I thought the frank tovey version was both the original and the best known

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://www.subway.com/en-VI/MenuNutrition/Menu/Product?ProductId=5246&MenuCategoryId=444

cheese, tomatos, bell peppers, onions, olives. hey, we have all of those things already!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

r/pol

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I find that being white is enough

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

chicken suave is such a rich pump for the imagination it would overload google were it introduced to google

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there's probably a prototype cart of a 90's mascot platformer sitting in a desk in an abandoned office building in los gatos called chicken suave

when you reproduce by virtue of being the only one cowardly enough to have avoided the last catastrophe, that's chicken suave

a chicken suave is burger king internal ordering code for an original chicken sandwich with bacon and onion rings and a side of barbque sauce

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

post that photo of ice-t where he's sporting the rayshades

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

mix some citrus wine with some methanol and flavor with slightly vinegared cabernet sauvignon

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yes, that is it, exactly. There was also one where the main monkey dude saw a rat that had gotten snapped in half by a mouse trap, so sewed the back end of a fish on it.

Edit: And poo poo, I can't find them on the You Toobs.

archive.org -> maakies.com

I can't remember which date, but you should be able to find 3 or 4 of them in mpeg, also the ship of jokes. they're also on a spike and mike twisted animation compilation

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

7: "Getting Lucky" – The Chipettes

even the edges around the rabbit hole are repellent

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

*reading posts in qcs threads in chipmunk voices

it all makes a strange kind of sense now

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

quick someone post the mexican magical realism camera photo of pat with an enormous erection

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dilbert hole'ing achewood seems, not exactly redundant, but superfluous to the source material

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

MizuZero posted:

do you use dilbert hole’ing as a hypernym for any comic edit

yeah. that's the first instance of it I know of that had recognition or infamy beyond one goony motherfucker saying to another goony motherfucker "hey dude, peep this: I whited out the speech bubbles in this luann comic and rewrote it so that luann and tiffany are totally going to lez out"

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I look down on anyone who does not wear cargo pants

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ManiacClown posted:

Yet they do not sell them in stores anymore. This causes me no small amount of discomfort, for I too wear cargo pants. The pockets are just too useful to give up for whatever tech pants are supposed to be.

dickies still makes cargo pants as does carhartt. walmart still sells cargo pants as do all the farm and tractor and outdoor stores around here. men who work still wear cargo pants and buy cargo pants to replace their worn cargo pants.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Strange Cares posted:

I used to rock up to high school in my cargo shorts with a paperback book in each enormous pocket. This lasted until my junior year abroad in college when a professor commented, not unkindly, on it as being "such an american high school thing," and I shame spiraled into wearing flattering pants.

gently caress that guy. I bet he wasn't a philosophy professor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

january 17th, 2010 has aged...interestingly