Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

poor and weird posted:

Just since you guys don't really seem to be getting it, I'm not complaining about the characters within the story, I'm taking issue with Onstad's writing choices. Specifically appealing to a "gay horror" tactic and playing into some really old and really ugly stereotypes about gay people. I'm a big Achewood fan, and that's why it makes me uncomfortable to see Onstad including this kind of thing.

Oh and also, I'm not the one who brought up "maybe this'll make teodor come out!", and I'm not QQing about this. Bringing up criticism, even of (gasp!) a comic you like, is a perfectly valid area of discussion.

I'll bite. First of all, I have never heard of anything Darren is doing as any homosexual stereotype. The fact you think this is the case is very revealing. Forcing a person to do sexual acts is definitely nothing new, but it is certainly not a specifically "gay horror" thing. You have to take the "gayness" out of it. He's gay, so what. If Teodor was a woman would you feel better? If so, re-evaluate what it is you don't like about this arc.

Secondly, this is a comic with a few gay characters already that are not at all like this man. Onstad is not pushing some anti-gay viewpoint with this at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Achewood is a comic where its author makes sure to incorporate the ache and the wood. In this arc it's both!

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

poor and weird posted:

I'm not saying it would be better if it was male on female rape. I would still think it's inappropriate. And I didn't say Onstad was doing it consciously. But the "sex-crazed pervert who tries to take advantage of any straight guy" is a pretty old stereotype and not a very good one

This is the one thing that crosses the line into inappropriateness for you? Do we seriously need to compare this to a list of insane and offensive poo poo that's happened in this comic? And this situation is in no way a stereotype. If anything, it's a stereotype blown way out of proportion into hyperbole.

I miss Ray and Beef goofing off and a stuffed otter saying cute things, too, but the discussion this story is generating elevates Achewood to a place it's never been to before.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Happy Hippo posted:

You linked to the achewood homepage. It's a better idea to link to the exact strip, dogg.

I prefer this such link to the assetbar page. :colbert:

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Rodney the Piper posted:

Only negative comment I'd have is to maybe ease up on the accents on Lurquilla & Mayner.

I'm interested in why you say this.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
The fact you want Nice Pete dead disappoints me, sir.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
You are taking a very extreme angle and I recommend you stop before this thread devolves into its monthly argument earlier than scheduled.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
There are such thing as black Italians.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Citizen Kane was released in 1941. If you watch it within the context of the films of that era it is absolutely insane.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Thank you for reminding me this exists, I need to track it down.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Like most monumental works within a medium, Citizen Kane was the first major work to combine several different emerging techniques while taking them all to the next level.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

choobs posted:

I desperately want that sign for my job.

However I don't like the implications for Achewood in general...

Onstad doesn't work in a corporate office, so I think it'll be okay.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
If I have to wait weeks at a time for a surprise guest of this caliber I am fine with that.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It used to be a dude also named Chris, which led to some fun confusions.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
H's providing some fun things on twitter right now, though.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
That's blatantly wrong because these late strips are the best things in life.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Did he also choke to death or show off his tiny junk hanging upside-down from a ceiling?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Gomi posted:

drat you, Seat Safety Switch.

So, is this sequence of side-story strips more or less officially saying 'I'm not finishing off the story arc'? Because I can make my peace with that if I have to, I just feel uncomfortable every time there's a new strip and it affords no closure, replacing narrative continuity with a series of narrative continuances, if you will.

I am now reading into anything Teodor-related until questions are answered. "Get in Bed With That Boy, Teodor".

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Satorr posted:

So I got an email from Amazon stating that the Dark Horse Volume 3 book arrival date has been BUMPED from Dec 30th to Dec 8th. Just around the corner.

It's like you subconsciously read the last post before you did yours.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
What's it changed to?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I dunno man, she keeps just coming back with a big grin on her face calling him "sweetie". It seems like the snapshots we're getting of the sad cat is when he's his saddest.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Bown posted:

I got volume 3 for Christmas, and as awesome as it is (I love him admitting how much he hates some of the earlier strips, and the prose bits about Ray/Beef are so adorable) does it not bug anyone else that we're still not out of 2002 yet? I dunno, maybe it's just because they're coming out more than a year after the last but I feel like there should be more to them. I dunno if it's Dark Horse or Onstad or what.

You are aware it's because Onstad is working on these books that new strip content is so limited, right?

Also, I hate the edits. I can appreciate "author's vision" and all that, but when something's been in print for 8 years and you've read it dozens of times, a change is jarring and feels like a betrayal.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand you people who feel like this latest strip is outside of the Achewood norm, "too easy", or so on. It's like it's been so long since new content has rolled out you have a skewed view of the past catalog. This is vintage no-plot one-off Achewood.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Why you gotta be a dick, man? You got some nerve. A real tight-wad.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I'm just going to keep assuming he's busy with these hardback full-on published books. Every since he started with the Great Outdoor Fight the update rates have been noticeably declining to what we're seeing now.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It's on Netflix. Watch it. You should already have.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Slashie posted:

Jesus man, just say you quit already. No "that's what RSS is for and p.s. please pay money for something less entertaining than what I used to provide for free."

I understand everything Onstad is saying and agree that we have no right to complain about no longer receiving what we have been getting for free.

But this is the same thing we've been told for months now and at this point I would rather he just say, "It's dead, buy my book" so I can give Achewood my own personal funeral and go buy his book that I am sure I will love.

I love you Onstad, you are a talented and entertaining man whose work has inspired deep things in me. I have never and will never feel as if you "owe" me more drawings of verbose cats. But I feel as if my friend is on life support and wish for my doctor to either provide the necessary operation to give it life or pull the plug.

grilldos fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 21, 2011

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think his entire argument is moot anyways since he takes "donations". As soon as you start earning money for something, money coming out of other peoples pockets, then you should make an effort to get things done and earn that money. I guess he feels his chapbooks are worth the "donations", but if scribbling around in book is worth money, then anyone could get on the web and upload their pointless doodles and get paid for them.

You're not paying for future work, you're tipping for work done. When I tip a waiter I'm not expecting free work next time I come to the store.

If you're referencing the fanflow, you're paying for access to view content you cannot view otherwise. Even if he never adds anything ever again to it, it's still content you can't get otherwise. You're paying for access. This is not a new idea in the least.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Wandering Knitter posted:

Onstad is never going to send out any of the merchandise people paid for.

I think this is the one thing we can all agree is horse poo poo.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
What the hell is going on in this thread. One dude not giving another dude what he paid for is not a thing that bros do. This is not hard to understand.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It's sentences like your last one being mixed with the cookbook problems that's causing this thread to spiral into a lovely mess.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I get the feeling from "Achewood formulating new storyline for free public site. I miss doing it" that the truth is that some site is paying him to make exclusive new strips.

Who are these go-getters?

I know that's not the case though.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Onstad needs to treat Achewood like a BBC television show. Every few years he says "I miss Achewood", dishes out a good amount of content over a chunk of time and stops. If he does another "series" of strips later that would be nice, but if not, everyone has the right expectations.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
This is a nice birthday present, thank you Chris Onstad.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

"If I stop touching it, I'm littering." This is a good thing.

God dammit Onstad, you motherfucker. You still got it.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Vogler posted:

If I spoke English I'd count the minutes until I could use at the Scow with half their eyes on in a conversation, all casual.

This post is bizarre in and of itself.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

He's discovered some sort of magical place where he can use all the makings of a total douche and build himself into a dude in a turtle neck I can lift a beer at and mean it.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Onstad's hinted at new media for a while now, I'm glad to see that he's taking a big swing for the fences.

Maduo posted:

That animation looks just like The Drinky Crow Show, which says only good things to me. Hopefully the voice acting is as spot on as that (and hopefully it doesn't get cancelled immediately like Drinky Crow did. :()

Deathlove posted:

That makes sense considering the Onstad-Millionaire connection.

I feel like Adult Swim is really the only place this show can land, especially if he refuses to let his universe get hosed with by a network. If all of this falls apart due to creative differences with execs, I'm okay with that. The fact he's giving this an honest shot at all is great.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Telex posted:

Adult Swim is 10 years ago in terms of pushing that envelope.

Go watch Archer, which is not on Adult Swim. Other networks are doing it, especially since Comedy Central decided they could push things all the way to the edge and nobody really seemed to have a huge problem.

There are a whole bunch of shows out there, animated or not, that are being given free reign to ruin themselves or succeed these days and if Achewood is going to be a real thing it can live on a whole lot of networks at 11pm and be just fine as long as it gets ratings.

Adult Swim has been doing fantastic poo poo like The Heart, She Holler. You can't distill Achewood's creative reach to just "edgy". It is this weird unique hybrid that appeals to both the upper cultural echelon and Joe Everyman. What Onstad needs is for a network to trust him with total creative freedom and push forms to the edge.

He should pitch it to Netflix. This is the type of thing they need as they continue to try and diversify their original programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I did forget IFC.

Deathlove posted:

They just picked up an animated show (Out There), so I don't know how hip they'd be to add another.

It's going to take a while to produce the show, and they can always do what every other cable channel does now and stagger the active fresh programming.