Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

You guys are out of your minds.

edit; :gb2lf: Spillane

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Your arguement is "I don't like Achewood" so I guess I should retort with "I like Achewood". Suck on that.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Spillane posted:

if you read a word of what i posted instead of skimming through it's kind of obvious i read achewood pretty regularly.

speaking of skimming i'm guessing you read achewood much like most people read dostoyevsky in freshmen year on the subway

My post says "like" not "read".

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

He gets to post an lf thread about it.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I don't feel that the strip is slipping at all. The last few years have seen as many great arcs and quotable lines as before. So what if the Roast Beef/Cartlidge Head arc wasn't a laugh a minute? Neither was the original CH arc. Onstad keeps the strip unpredictable by giving it a turn for the surreal. Every word that a character utters is exactly what that character would say in that situation, and somehow I never see it coming. That's dedication to the craft that you just can't get elsewhere. Believe me, I'm not one to suck up nor would I defend a strip that's jumped the shark. Achewood, now and then, is a great strip.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Doggs, I honestly don't see a drop in quality at all. Y'all might as well be saying that the sky is green or some poo poo, but taste is subjective so...

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Achewood is a pretty good strip that I enjoy reading from time to time. What do you guys think about Achewood?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Aren't Beef and Molly doomed to break up? It seems like I got that impression from a strip, but I can't place...

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Fillerbunny posted:

You got that impression from this: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10022007

No, that's not the one. Seems like there was a strip, or maybe something in the fanflow, that mentioned how even though their marriage is doomed they could still find some degree of happiness while together.

I don't know. Maybe I just made it up?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

TheDeeMan posted:

AChewood is like webcomic crack. I didn't even know that it existed until that Wizard webcomic article a cuple a months ago and now I'm hooked.

drat you, Achewood! drat you straight to hell!!! LOL! :)

Dee

Dogg, you're going to want to edit that post and then read the gently caress out of the rules if you want to stick around. (Don't sign your posts)

edit; looking at your post history I have to say that you are getting off on the wrong foot here. You just registered this morning which makes posting at all a terrible idea. You need to lurk for a good two weeks before diving in or else you're going to lose your :10bux:

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 17, 2009

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I like this idea, but I wonder if Onstad is doing this because of popular demand or because this is where his muse led him?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Why is Post on SA Forums not a part of the infinite loop, Mr Onstad Funnyman? :colbert:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I would like to see an Achewood ringtone that says, "GOD DAMMIT WHAT AM I GOING TO DO ABOUT MY PROBLEMS"

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Holy poo poo, not to be That Guy again but today's fanflow is brilliant and hilarious and oh holy poo poo you should at least spend the few bucks for just this month just to get today's premium update because god drat.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Just wanted to brag that we premium subscribers got a fourth row to the new strip. :smug:

edit; I'd also like to add that I absolutely love these flashback strips showing Ray and Beef as young 'uns. That one where Beef got caught shoplifting a gay stroke book is one of my all time favorites.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 15, 2010

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Jeremys Iron posted:

Having only just started reading Achewood I had a quick question about the three hardback books that are available.

The first one (I assume) is the collected Great Outdoor Fight strips - are the other two just collections of all the strips in chronological order like the paperback books you can buy direct from the site?

Ideally I just want to get everything done (so far) in order and I'm not sure what the best way of doing that is.

You're exactly right, though Vol 2 doesn't begin at the beginning since it seems Onstad doesn't feel the strip really found its feet until the arrival of the cats, which is where it begins. The early strips are still included in Vol 2 though, but they are relegated to the back and are considered "bonus material"

edit for clarity; the early strips were when the strip was finding its voice and as a result a lot of the characters behave in ways that are inconsistent with their modern day selves. Think of those as "proto-Achewood" strips.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 16, 2010

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I'm pretty sure that when people read through the archives in 15 years and they come across the Avatar strip they'll know about that movie the same as the other Roomba strips. It's not like he's writing strips about cultural minutia like who's dating Jessica Simpson or whatever.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

He's referencing that stupid facebook meme of putting your own face on old yearbook pictures with out of date hairstyles.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Zefiel posted:

I wonder if Philippe couldn't find a King-Chochacho-like medallion and just grabbed the next best thing that he could find, or if the cross reflects his deep personal beliefs. I like the idea that Ray has spares of his sunglasses all over the house, though.

This is explained in today's premium update, as are the physics behind Philippe's necklace staying up seeing as how he has no shoulders.

\/\/\/\/\/That was explained as well.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 8, 2010

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

doggs there is a new strip up at achewood dot com

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

edit; for extra siren sauce

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 17, 2010

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

withak posted:

Achewood fans are necessarily fans of all of the finer things in life.

Oh, necessarily.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Welcome to the Achewood thread, where we rehash this same conversation every 8 or so pages.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Philippe is going to be such a baller. :snoop: Now he just needs a scheme to parlay that cheddar into high-roller territory.

Keep on rockin', little man.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Chris Onstad posted:

Could we please get back to the topic of how I don't post as often any more? Thanks.

Stop dicking off at the computer and get back to making me laugh. For free.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Today's alt text literally made me laugh out loud pretty hard. Good show, Onstad.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

rotinaj posted:

I'm gonna say it.

Cornelius is more badass and manly and hardcore than Rodney Stubbs.

Edit: And I KNOW that they probably wouldn't fight because gentlemen don't need to or some malarkey...

But Cornelius still tops the Man With Blood On His Hands. :colbert:

Winning the Badass Games is one thing but beating the asses of 3000 men is another thing entirely.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

That alt text is The Saddest Thing.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I am beginning to worry about the young little otter. :ohdear:

Onstad, you're really cranking these out lately. Good show!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Phillipe is actually growing up. He'll start to age after this strip.

*posts 500th link to Achewood strip "The Future"*

*wins prize*

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

It makes me happy that Teodor still sleeps nude.

Keep on rockin, T.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Tidy indeed, Mr Bear.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

When I see Nice Pete, all I can think of is this picture from the "Idaho Mugshots" thread a few years ago.

God drat, son. That's scary as poo poo.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Oh Teodor. Oh dear.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

robot roll call posted:

The main thing I took away from that is I really want to try Thunderbird.

DO NOT DO IT. Thunderbird is horrifyingly bad, as detailed in this song by the legendary Townes Van Zandt.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Tupperwarez posted:

It involved a buttermilk soak, but what I found interesting is that both Pete and Alton's pan-frying methods were the same, right down to the dark brown spots where the chicken touches the pan.

Then again, Alton is from Georgia, so he's got Southern ways too.

Edit: Does that mean that should I wish to prevent being Taken by Alton Brown, I should save his life?

I am a Southern Man through and through and I'm here to tell you, if I ever had my life saved by someone, I would make it a point to never murder that person.

It is our Way.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Rodney the Piper posted:

Just noticed that Teodor's junk is always covered. Clearly, the stuffed bear's genitals are to Onstad as feet are to Rob Liefeld.

An actual question: didn't Nice Pete lose his desire to be murderous when the USB Murder Machine went poorly, or was that just with regards to Ray?

That was just Ray.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

You know, I was actually wondering where Lyle has been lately too.

Drinkin' Island.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Rodney the Piper posted:

What's the difference between the Fanflow and the Archived Edition of Achewood? Is the Archived Edition not on the Fanflow?

Archives are just that: old strips. You can read it in order. Fanflow is a subscription service that Onstad updates with all sorts of stuff that isn't available anywhere else. It is worth the price.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The second Achewood hardcover starts with The Party because Onstad says that's where the strip found its legs. All strips prior to that arc are included as bonus material.

Start with The Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

The look on Rays face in the last few panels sells it. He isn't happy that his weird fetish has been discovered.

This comic does have some incredible moments. Rays night in Germany, Molly and Roast Beef getting married The Fight arc and just moments with Lyle.

Also when Ray made it home after walking all the way from Mexico and demanding "Emeril food"