Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Can someone suggest a good matte varnish (availible in the UK.) I cheked the list in the OP.

PST posted:

I like Vallejo's matt varnish. You can get it in a bunch of modelling shops/online stores. Testors dullcoat if you can get hold of it is also good, but it is trickier to locate on this side of the pond.

There are at least a few good options for Testors in the UK, if you haven't found them already - I like Element Games, who recently started stocking it, but there's also Firestorm Games (usually, looks like they're out of stock right now) or the Troll Trader on Ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Monday Averted posted:

Speaking of stripping paint. Anyone knows of something better in UK/Ireland than Dettol? I really hate the smell of it and it clings to the miniatures terribly even though I keep trying to wash it off.

Fairy Power Spray seems to be a popular choice, haven't tried it personally though.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

sassassin posted:

Is there a devlan mud alternative available these days? I'm washing everything in it, and the pot won't last forever.

I've seen Army Painter Strong Tone ink recommended as an equivalent - have a look here and here for some colour samples from various brands.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Looking at the preparation guide on the Reaper forums, it sounds like a known issue with the way that several types of spray primer react with the material in the Bones miniatures.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Hey UK goons - are there any UK-specific wargaming/painting forums? I know there's one called something Britannica but I can't remember what it's called, but I can't remember if they are purely for wargaming and suchlike.

Sounds like you're thinking of Platoon Britannica.

The other one that I know of is the Warhammer Forum, which despite the name covers a few different games and has a lot of discussion about tournaments and events.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Lethemonster posted:

I just had the Bones Kaladrax arrive in the mail to paint and now I'm kicking myself for not getting in on that first Bones Kickstarter.

And scrabbling round the internet trying to find loads of Bones models being sold at decent prices in the uk!

Depending on what kind of prices you're looking for, it might be worth checking out Miniature Heroes - they have a lot of Bones models in stock.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Are these things finally for sale outside of the kickstarter?

The Basius pads are supposed to go on sale early next year once all the pledges have been fulfilled, I think, at Zinge Industries.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Man, I wish I had bought into that - those would be really handy for my Necromunda gang that I'm working on. :(

You can buy them outside of the kickstarter now, although they're more expensive.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
It's High Impact Polystyrene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Torabi posted:

I jotted down the name Dettol on my phone last year which is apparently a good paint stripper. Any other suggestions? I'm not in the US though (Sweden) so I doubt common brands that somebody in the US might use is available here.

Fairy Power Spray has been recommended by a lot of people in the UK - according to a thread on CMON, it's branded as Yes Power Spray in Sweden.

• Locked thread