Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I haven't done a car by car analysis of Carmax prices, but my impression was that there was a 10% or so premium. It also doesn't help that when I'm car shopping I get picky about colors/option packages, which also makes things hard to compare.

Throatwarbler posted:

It's an amusing story but you probably shouldn't be taking it as "car buying advice." unless you shop exlusively for out of warranty Range Rovers and V12 AMG Mercs.

There is a part of me that wants to shop exclusively for out of warranty Range Rovers/AMGs. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I haven't bought a car from CarMax, but their listings seem to be just a touch on the high side of reasonable compared to other dealers. If their customer experience is as no-bullshit as people say, if I were buying a popular, recent model-year commodity car I could see going with them just for the sake of avoiding the headaches of a traditional dealership or private sale.

I'm past the point in my life where I'm willing to expend time and energy haggling with a bunch of shitheads to save a few bucks.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 3, 2020

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Are these Carvana offers in cash to buy your car actually accurate and obtainable? Or do they lower it by a huge amount once they get your docs?

Because if so......I might be selling them my 2018 Silverado 4x4 LT All Star Graphite Metallic with 6.5k miles. :eyepop:

I still like the truck and all, but the offer they made (online) was bonkers high to the point where I'd literally be dumb to not take it and get something else next spring if the planet still exists.

.....all right, signed up for an account and loaded the docs for the truck up to their website, I'll report back what shakes out.

I also ran a quote for my 2016 BMW 535 M-sport with 36k miles and it was spot on blue book plus $1k regional bonus.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 4, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
They are good for it. Supposedly they have been pulling offers in COVID time but a 4x4 1500 is pretty desirable right now so I bet they will give you your money.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I wonder if they'll give me an actual actionable offer for my Canadian market car. Carmax won't once they found out it was Canadian. Nothing wrong with it, just would be fun to get something new.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
^^^ Speaking of Canadian cars...

I'm looking at my neighbor's 2004 Tacoma, V6 manual. Undercoated frame, sprayed in box liner, K&N air filter with recharge kit, new A/F o2 sensor and muffler. Has a few extras like matched canopy, trailer brake controller, 2in lift (average 16" wheels, extra set of rims). Looks pretty well taken care of. As far as I can tell it hasn't had a clutch replacement in the last 10-15 years, same for water pump and timing belt. Am I looking at a good truck here? He's asking $10,300 cad/7700 USD, is this a decent price? Price for these seems to be all over the place.

I've been looking for a new truck for over a year now and live in a rural area, so driving to the nearest city to look at something is a 6 hour round trip, plus a hotel if I need to stay overnight (and I don't have a car that can currently make that distance) I can see this one through my living room window so the convenience aspect is making me salivate and it's probably going to be bought by someone in the next 24 hours. My mechanic can't look at it in time but says 'you probably can't go wrong'. I'm trying to talk myself into it, can someone give me a reality check before I do something I shouldn't?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I believe there is a known issue with frame rail rust so absolutely get someone to look at it first. Budget for timing belt at minimum and probably the water pump and clutch in short order.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I believe there is a known issue with frame rail rust so absolutely get someone to look at it first. Budget for timing belt at minimum and probably the water pump and clutch in short order.

Isn't the rust issue with 2005+ tacos?

He said it had the frame spray done, there was a little surface rust on the frame but not beyond what I'd expect from an 04.

e: Yep, I was wrong on that. Apparently the rust proofing would add 15 years to warranty so I think the 2004 isn't eligible for anything, maybe I could get a free rustproofing but unlikely?

I've had a look around and can't find anywhere that shows you exactly what to look for on the frame for excessive rust issues. But there's a few mentions of a hammer test. Not sure if he'd appreciate me going to town on his undercarriage with a peen hammer tho. Anyone have a link or experience looking a this?

Outrail fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 4, 2020

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Speaking of, how do you find a decent place to do rust proofing? I’d like to do it to my e150.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Keyser_Soze posted:

Are these Carvana offers in cash to buy your car actually accurate and obtainable? Or do they lower it by a huge amount once they get your docs?

Because if so......I might be selling them my 2018 Silverado 4x4 LT All Star Graphite Metallic with 6.5k miles. :eyepop:

I still like the truck and all, but the offer they made (online) was bonkers high to the point where I'd literally be dumb to not take it and get something else next spring if the planet still exists.

.....all right, signed up for an account and loaded the docs for the truck up to their website, I'll report back what shakes out.

I also ran a quote for my 2016 BMW 535 M-sport with 36k miles and it was spot on blue book plus $1k regional bonus.

They're accurate. Carvana is burning venture capital money to "build a brand". They bought my mom's Kia Soul for $750 over KBB. A bunch of people here have sold to them. It's stupid easy.

I just ran my truck though their quote process. $33,037. That's about what I'd expect selling private party, except carvana is zero hassle.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 4, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I crawled under and took a few photos, this was the worst parts i could find up the back end. The front was good with paint still intact or patches of surface rust. Looks like the two struts holding the gas tank and spare tire are the worst, the rest looks like surface rust (?). I'm guessing the struts can be replaced for a bit of cost down the track. Or if it's really bad hope a mook like myself buys it?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Do they put salt on roads in your area? The "rustproofing" you see, is that black goop over the frame rails. If applied before rust begins, it's very effective at delaying the inevitable. However, many people see their rusting undercarriage, go "oh poo poo, my resale value!". And then go to town with an AutoZone kit and disposable brush. In that case it only looks effective, but serves very little purpose. Tacoma frames rust from the inside out. The only way to prevent that, is to avoid going through salt, and still wash the undercarriage often.

Having said that, it's still going to last for some time. Looks about the same shape as my '07. Whether or not it's worth price, is a different issue.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 4, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nitrox posted:

Do they put salt on roads in your area?

No. Definitely not.

It's been a while since I made a really regrettable mistake so gently caress it. His phone and FB has been off the hook since he posted so I'm just taking it. Doing the paperwork tomorrow.

If I got a raw deal I'll keep it for a year and sell it on to an enthusiast.

With regards to price, it looks like a hard case back country machine with big wheels so I'm sure someone else will be willing to take it.

Thanks for the advice tho, I feel a little better about it.

ToastyNark
Oct 23, 2002

Rape drugs work on everyone.
So I wound up in an accident at the end of last month where someone pulled out in front of me and long story short my 2017 RAM 2500 was declared totaled by my insurance company.

I really liked the truck as it did everything I needed for work and it seemed to get decent marks from Consumer Reports when compared with other MFG like Chevy or Ford. My truck had the Cummins for towing and equipment and I never had any mechanical issues with the truck other than a recall notice that I had taken care of at the dealer shortly after purchasing it (I bought it new from the dealer). I'm not sure what my insurer is planning on paying out on the truck at this point, but I'm guessing I won't be able to just turn around and buy the same spec truck new for the 2020 model.

Anyway I'm a little bummed out and not having the truck and it's getting annoying not having my normal set-up for day to day operations. I've started looking at dealer stock, but it seems like no matter what make (RAM, Ford) you can only see the last two model years.

I guess my first question is, is there a way to look at 2016-2017 era cars that were unsold? Is this just not a thing? I'm actually just genuinely curious about what happens to unsold calendar year stock. I can't imagine that every dealer clears their entire lot of late model cars during blowout sales.

My second question is if anyone has purchased a HD truck recently and have any insights as to why they bought the one they did? Again it's 99.9% a work truck but I do drive it around town and occasionally need to go more than 100 miles on a commute to pick up materials so the trim and comfort level in the cab is important, too. Aside from a relatively stiff ride when the truck had no load, I really didn't have any complaints, but I'm not a RAM fanatic nor do I own a Calvin pissing on Ford/Chevy/GMC logo bumper sticker so I'm not dead set on buying the exact truck again.

ToastyNark fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 5, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

New stock from old model years is generally not a thing. Dealers shed inventory because it's financed and they do not want to be paying interest on it. Part of why model year changeover happens in Q3 and Q4 of MY-1 is to support this process, because psycholgically people are more inclined to buy a "current year" car even if it's not actually the newest, greatest and best.

All 2500s/250s are gonna be a little bit bouncy in the back without a load. Currently the RAM has the nicest cabin, followed by the Ford, followed by the GM twins. I think if you are buying diesel the Cummins powertrain is still the best.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just want to say hope you're OK. I wouldn't want to be involved in an accident that totals out a 3/4 ton pickup.

I'm an admitted Ford guy, so I'm all about the F-250 Super Duty. My neighbor just bought a 2020 F-250 Lariat and drat it's pretty nice.

I will admit the RAM 2500 Cummins power train is the best combo out there.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Godzilla07 posted:

How important is towing to you, and what would you be towing? If you will be regularly towing near or above the Telluride's 5000 lb tow capacity, I would go with a Chevy Suburban or a Ford Expedition Max. Nothing else combines room for 6 and towing capacity like those two vehicles. You'll pay for it everywhere else: a Telluride gets 22 MPG or 37.5% better fuel economy vs the 16 a Suburban gets in combined real-world driving per Fuelly.

Kia has made solid vehicles for over a decade now, and the Telluride is a great vehicle if you can brave your local Kia dealer. Never pay above MSRP. Bring your large adult sons with you to make sure the third row is good enough.

So the bolded part was a little confusing to me before I started searching. Hooooly poo poo. We looked at a few different cars, decided we wanted a Telluride... and of the 7-8 different dealerships I talked to, exactly 2 were selling at sticker price, and one of those was taking orders 3 months in advance. All the others were selling 5, 6, even 10k above.

We ended up getting exceedingly lucky and the last dealer I called happened to get the exact trim we wanted on the lot 15 mins before I called. It also happened to have the tow pkg. I also had to pay for the "Nightfall" upgrade since that's what it had. I don't mind, I like it.

He said if I had called half an hour later it would have been sold already. After searching around and talking to various dealers (including some family that work in car sales), I believe him.

So I'm now the proud owner of a new Telluride. Thank you everyone!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

So the bolded part was a little confusing to me before I started searching. Hooooly poo poo. We looked at a few different cars, decided we wanted a Telluride... and of the 7-8 different dealerships I talked to, exactly 2 were selling at sticker price, and one of those was taking orders 3 months in advance. All the others were selling 5, 6, even 10k above.

We ended up getting exceedingly lucky and the last dealer I called happened to get the exact trim we wanted on the lot 15 mins before I called. It also happened to have the tow pkg. I also had to pay for the "Nightfall" upgrade since that's what it had. I don't mind, I like it.

He said if I had called half an hour later it would have been sold already. After searching around and talking to various dealers (including some family that work in car sales), I believe him.

Thank you for giving Kia all your money so they can continue to make cool cars that won't sell.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

KillHour posted:

Thank you for giving Kia all your money so they can continue to make cool cars that won't sell.

I’m seriously considering a new Hybrid Sonata from their older sibling. Styling just looks really nice to me and I really dig that interior. Infotainment that doesn’t look like rear end and real switches for climate controls. Just hoping the ‘21 adds wireless carplay like the Elantra did.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Yeah, everyone's a dealmeister when they're riding a keyboard, but it doesn't always translate into real life. My wife and I did the same thing with her CX-5. We played hard ball, and spent a bunch of time working 4 dealers in the area. We agreed on invoice plus the dealership's full title/transport/tag fees, and the dealer picked up the remote start upgrade. No one was budging at all because the car was so popular, and they didn't have any trouble moving them.

When it comes to domestics, fleet vehicles, or anything that doesn't sell well, you can definitely do better than MSRP/invoice, but even then, it can be a struggle depending on where you are. I bought my truck in VA (I live in MA), because they had what I wanted, it was on the lot for 300 days, and I could fly there for short money and stay with family. I didn't mind the drive back.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
This may be an odd question or belong in a different thread, but I just realized this Telluride came with the sleek top rails, and doesn't have any cross rails. My father gave me his Thule storage to put on the car, but that requires the cross rails.

Anyone have a recommendation for some decent cross rails?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There's a KIA OEM product which I can't find a price on, and then of course the usual suspects make crossbars as well. The Kia ones look quite tall. I think the Thule Aeroblades would be a bit lower, if that matters to you.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's a KIA OEM product which I can't find a price on, and then of course the usual suspects make crossbars as well. The Kia ones look quite tall. I think the Thule Aeroblades would be a bit lower, if that matters to you.

These? https://www.amazon.com/Thule-7602B-...ve%2C168&sr=1-1 I don't know if I want to spend $500 on crossbars. Does it matter much which I get? Also is there a place I could get them that isn't Amazon? I'm going on vaca on Monday, would love to be able to use the Thule.

Also saw these https://www.kiaaccessoryguide.com/accessory/Telluride/2020/Roof-Rack-Cross-Bars-2419 which were like $300

e: drat, looks like they're $350. https://www.wholesalekiaparts.com/o...MRoC1VgQAvD_BwE

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

These? https://www.amazon.com/Thule-7602B-...ve%2C168&sr=1-1 I don't know if I want to spend $500 on crossbars. Does it matter much which I get? Also is there a place I could get them that isn't Amazon? I'm going on vaca on Monday, would love to be able to use the Thule.

Also saw these https://www.kiaaccessoryguide.com/accessory/Telluride/2020/Roof-Rack-Cross-Bars-2419 which were like $300

e: drat, looks like they're $350. https://www.wholesalekiaparts.com/o...MRoC1VgQAvD_BwE

I get it's all expensive, but this is kinda of a typical price for quality crossbars. Whether it's a Kia, a Chevy or a Porsche. My OEM Porsche cross bars were somewhere in the neighborhood of $375 for the pair.

(the OEM things to mount them on that go into the roof channels were $800 lolol - yeah, I found some for $200 on eBay from a third party)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

to me a roof rack is not somewhere that you want to particularly cheap out on, especially the crossbars which are not really affixed to the car.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Omg it's way worse than i thought loving :lol:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/fit-my-car?c=roof+racks&q=xBxBQ8YaF

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My solution is to never do the typical suburban things like "have kids," "buy an SUV" or "go on family vacations."

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Retail prices on new roof rack stuff is bonkers. It's also common that the Thule/Yakima brand stuff costs more than the OEM stuff, which was probably manufactured by either Thule or Yakima. It's worth checking on the OEM parts and see if you can get a better deal on them.

There's also a huge used market for those sorts of parts for way lower prices, but it'll be more of a headache to figure out compatibility but it's all doable.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
If it's not urgent, Thule and Yakima stuff is often 20-25% off during the big REI sales. Not always, but it's pretty common.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dang, I’ve been using the same $150 Malone cross bars on my last three vehicles since they all had raised rails. Looks like the flush mount stuff really drives up prices.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
RackAttack was my go-to for racks and parts years ago. No idea if they're still the place, but worth checking.

I'd go OEM it you can, they fit better and you don't need to worry about any fit kits or dicking around with keys. The OEM stuff often can be keyed to the ignition key.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've used the cheapest roof racks possible to transport construction materials and other overweight stuff (canoe), ignoring the weight limit. I've been doing it for decades on many different vehicles. The simple design of a roofrack is very hard to gently caress up, or make dangerously unsafe for that matter. Even the complete garbage ones with straps, hooks and rubber pads. But here is one simple trick nobody seem to realize: take it the gently caress down when not in use! You usually need to use them so rarely, even the most garbage bottom of the barrel rack, will probably last longer than your car. Sure, the straps will need to be re-tightened, and cheap metal will rust. Eventually. Then you can unhinge your wallet and spend another $50 on replacement.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I've got a canopy on my truck and want to mount rails/something on it so I can haul a canoe and possibly other gear around. But I'm worried about bowing the canopy and cracking it. Thinking an externally fitting lumber rack might be a better option. Anyone have any experience with that?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Hertz is dumping a bunch of 2019 Mustang GT Premium convertibles with 20-30K miles for around $32K near me. As all these Mustangs have the digital cluster, I can infer that Hertz also spec'd the 401A package, meaning these cars cost $50K new. Carvana has also offered me nearly $10K for my 6 year old Kia Optima. Would I lose my license to post in this thread if I took Carvana's money and put it towards one of those Mustangs?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Godzilla07 posted:

Hertz is dumping a bunch of 2019 Mustang GT Premium convertibles with 20-30K miles for around $32K near me. As all these Mustangs have the digital cluster, I can infer that Hertz also spec'd the 401A package, meaning these cars cost $50K new. Carvana has also offered me nearly $10K for my 6 year old Kia Optima. Would I lose my license to post in this thread if I took Carvana's money and put it towards one of those Mustangs?
Can you get a mechanic to look at it? Are you comfortable owning a car that was more than assuredly rented so people could go CAR GP BRRRRRRRRRR and the related service it would entail?

More importantly, would the Mustang+20k of debt hinder you?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd rather wait for a stick

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Godzilla07 posted:

See thread title.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Outrail posted:

I've got a canopy on my truck and want to mount rails/something on it so I can haul a canoe and possibly other gear around. But I'm worried about bowing the canopy and cracking it. Thinking an externally fitting lumber rack might be a better option. Anyone have any experience with that?
There is allot of mixed terminology when it comes to truck accessories, so you should be specific. But assuming you have a fiberglass cap, and most name brand ones actually come with a weight rating/restrictions if using proper racks, on designated mounting points. Most are good for 100-200 lbs, good enough for a canoe.

The racks mounted around the cap are best used if you plan on removing the cap, but still want to use the racks. But the cost is significantly higher.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Can you get a mechanic to look at it? Are you comfortable owning a car that was more than assuredly rented so people could go CAR GP BRRRRRRRRRR and the related service it would entail?

More importantly, would the Mustang+20k of debt hinder you?

It sounded really cool on a Saturday night after a few drinks. I could take advantage of Hertz being broke, and Carvana being inventory-constrained to make a nice deal for myself. Of course I'd get a PPI before I made the deal official, and possibly consider an extended warranty to mitigate my risk. And Mustang GTs can take rental car abuse better than a Nissan Sentra, because even first owners of Mustangs don't treat their cars with respect. Here's an example of a former Mustang GT owner talking about how his Mustang held up even though he beat it like it owed him money. I'd dodge the weak manual transmission also mentioned in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK4UBq7iWac&t=377s

That being said, the actually smart move would probably be a new Mustang GT, with a manual and the Performance Pack for $40K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Looking at autotrader, I see a bunch of 2019 GTs that have not been owned by rental car companies in the mid-30s. I'd suspect you could take some off that. Also, not an automatic.

Can you imagine how beat a mustang GT gets as a rental car? I had a Challenger R/T rental car once, and it was already showing some wear.