Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If you're serious about buying one, spend $100 for a weekend rental and try it out first. You may find that you'll want a model with better seats or other features. I took a 3 hour trip and was getting pretty uncomfortable by the end. Test drives don't reveal that kind of stuff, especially with the salesman/owner blabbing away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So, my current 12 y/o sebring is starting to go, I'm reckoning another year, 3 tops if preventative maitenence really pans out, which means it's time for my broke rear end to start saving.

Proposed Budget: 10k-40k depending on when the car goes
New or Used: Doesn't matter
Body Style: I really want another convertable, but I'd be fine with a little sedan too. The only thing is I have an old-as-poo poo mother who is on a walker and can't have a car that sits too high or too low. the Sebring sits a little low for her, but not to the point of being unable to get in and out of it. My old Santa Fe she had 0 problems getting in and out of, and my sister's camry she had 0 issues getting in and out of.
How will you be using the car?: To and from work cross-town, hauling groceries etc. Basic stuff. No towing, nothing extreme outside of having to deal with great plains winters - so something that handles well in the snow is a plus.
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, mom being able to get in and out, decent sound system, reliability.

I really don't want a Camry as I had the old body style and hate the new after driving my sister's Camry for a few days. I will take anything, but refuse to drive a minivan. I have some time to save up, so money isn't a huge thing, but something that's cheap and reliable is preferred. My current Sebring is at least reliable, but it's 12 years old with 100k miles on it, and I'm starting to notice little things that are going to add up over time and its time to start thinking about a new car. I love the convertable top, and another one would be a plus, but its not a neccessity.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 11, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Takes No Damage posted:

I have looked briefly at the big 3 American muscle cars, Mustangs, Camaro and Challenger/Charger. Everything I read about Camaros said while handling/acceleration etc was good, the windows were all so tiny it was like driving around in a tank. The Dodges sounded decent but there were also complaints about interior space and they all seemed to be a couple of grand more than similar Mustangs. This is all still preliminary research, and I'm in no way a 'car guy' so if a lot of the bullet points from the Craigslist ad are :rice: then yeah I don't need it. I'll test drive the one from the dealership and continue to read up on similar models. Thanks for the input.
The Challenger is absolutely huge inside. The complaints about interior space are probably linked to the fact that they are more huge outside.

MrKatharsis posted:

If you're serious about buying one, spend $100 for a weekend rental and try it out first. You may find that you'll want a model with better seats or other features. I took a 3 hour trip and was getting pretty uncomfortable by the end. Test drives don't reveal that kind of stuff, especially with the salesman/owner blabbing away.
Yeah, Hertz will rent you any of the 3 from bigger locations.

nm fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 11, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

AA is for Quitters posted:

So, my current 12 y/o sebring is starting to go, I'm reckoning another year, 3 tops if preventative maitenence really pans out, which means it's time for my broke rear end to start saving.

Proposed Budget: 10k-40k depending on when the car goes
New or Used: Doesn't matter
Body Style: I really want another convertable, but I'd be fine with a little sedan too. The only thing is I have an old-as-poo poo mother who is on a walker and can't have a car that sits too high or too low. the Sebring sits a little low for her, but not to the point of being unable to get in and out of it. My old Santa Fe she had 0 problems getting in and out of, and my sister's camry she had 0 issues getting in and out of.
How will you be using the car?: To and from work cross-town, hauling groceries etc. Basic stuff. No towing, nothing extreme outside of having to deal with great plains winters - so something that handles well in the snow is a plus.
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, mom being able to get in and out, decent sound system, reliability.

I really don't want a Camry as I had the old body style and hate the new after driving my sister's Camry for a few days. I will take anything, but refuse to drive a minivan. I have some time to save up, so money isn't a huge thing, but something that's cheap and reliable is preferred. My current Sebring is at least reliable, but it's 12 years old with 100k miles on it, and I'm starting to notice little things that are going to add up over time and its time to start thinking about a new car. I love the convertable top, and another one would be a plus, but its not a neccessity.

What about another Sebring/200 vert? Since it seems to be working out for you. The 2010+ 200s are reliable, can be had for a song, and the convertible top even solves the major issue that the sedan has (very strange looking C-pillar).

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I'm interested in buying a used Mercedes CLS 550. I love the styling and obviously MB makes excellent cars. I would be getting a 2009 or 2010 model and aiming to spend about $25-$28,000. Are there any compelling reasons against this plan or serious known issues with this particular model/year?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I'm interested in buying a used Mercedes CLS 550. I love the styling and obviously MB makes excellent cars. I would be getting a 2009 or 2010 model and aiming to spend about $25-$28,000. Are there any compelling reasons against this plan or serious known issues with this particular model/year?

Earlier model years have defective transmission valve bodies. They may or may not have fixed it by 09-10. Get a service record to see if there is a history indicating valve body replacement, if it has a new one then that might be a good thing, test drive the car and run through all the gears, consider an extended warranty. Valve body replacement will cost about $1500-$2000.

Other than that it's just your regular run-o-the-mill 6 figure German luxury car. I say buy it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Do you FULLY and I mean FULLY understand the maintenance and upkeep costs associated with owning this class of car? They can be had for a good deal now, but remember it originally was an 80K+ car and has the needs of an 80K plus car. I'm not terribly familiar with this particular car but the air suspension can be trouble on MB cars and is super expensive to fix. Running costs are also going to be much more than your average car. Tires are going to run 300 dollars+ each, brakes will be more expensive to replace etc. Service A and B at a dealer are going to run you serious dough. C and D even more.

As long as you understand this isn't a Camry where you can get 29.99 oil change specials and 120 dollar tires, and when something goes wrong it's going to cost big bucks, go for it.

Oaks
Oct 9, 2007

Not sure why it took me this long to figure out, but I think the cars whose rear visibility I don't like have all mostly been hatchbacks. It's a shame, I was going to test drive the Fiesta ST (and I still will, probably), and it only comes as a hatchback. Is the advantage of a hatchback pretty much just more interior space?

Jan 11, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Do you FULLY and I mean FULLY understand the maintenance and upkeep costs associated with owning this class of car? They can be had for a good deal now, but remember it originally was an 80K+ car and has the needs of an 80K plus car. I'm not terribly familiar with this particular car but the air suspension can be trouble on MB cars and is super expensive to fix. Running costs are also going to be much more than your average car. Tires are going to run 300 dollars+ each, brakes will be more expensive to replace etc. Service A and B at a dealer are going to run you serious dough. C and D even more.

As long as you understand this isn't a Camry where you can get 29.99 oil change specials and 120 dollar tires, and when something goes wrong it's going to cost big bucks, go for it.

Yeah, I don't know the exact dollar figures but I assume that service will be more expensive etc. This would be a pretty affordable car for me in terms of the vehicle itself. I would carfax and look for service history and would place a premium on low mileage so I don't end up doing a bunch of neglected maintenance or replacing a bunch of predictably worn out parts the minute I buy the car.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Oaks posted:

Not sure why it took me this long to figure out, but I think the cars whose rear visibility I don't like have all mostly been hatchbacks. It's a shame, I was going to test drive the Fiesta ST (and I still will, probably), and it only comes as a hatchback. Is the advantage of a hatchback pretty much just more interior space?

It's not really even that. Most hatchback versions of cars are significantly shorter overall than the sedan version and don't really have much advantage in terms of overall space. The only advantage really is maybe easier parking due to shorter length and carrying over-sized items. How often do you really carry oversized items anyway? I think Car Forum posters just like hatchbacks and wagons ironically.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you sit down and think about it you're basically getting an extra 25% space within your vehicle. This will be amazing for when you buy furniture at IKEA or get a dog.

Hatchback or nothing. I will never go back.

Jan 11, 2004
Thanks for the advice so far. On a related note, since I want an extremely specific car in terms of year, color, and interior, I expect to be shopping online sight unseen and possibly traveling a long distance to make a car purchase. My ideal purchase experience would be to walk into the door, hand the manager a check for the agreed-upon amount, and drive out with the car I came for. Other than googling the dealer to look for reviews/complaints, any specific advice or tips for avoiding car salesman bullshit and ripoff attempts?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

It's not really even that. Most hatchback versions of cars are significantly shorter overall than the sedan version and don't really have much advantage in terms of overall space. The only advantage really is maybe easier parking due to shorter length and carrying over-sized items. How often do you really carry oversized items anyway? I think Car Forum posters just like hatchbacks and wagons ironically.

I don't think this is correct for anything but the Jetta (which isn't even related to the golf). The space is much more usable in any event.
Wagons are almost always the same length as the sedan, if not a smidge longer.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Thanks for the advice so far. On a related note, since I want an extremely specific car in terms of year, color, and interior, I expect to be shopping online sight unseen and possibly traveling a long distance to make a car purchase. My ideal purchase experience would be to walk into the door, hand the manager a check for the agreed-upon amount, and drive out with the car I came for. Other than googling the dealer to look for reviews/complaints, any specific advice or tips for avoiding car salesman bullshit and ripoff attempts?

I have done this twice in the past. There is still paperwork at the dealership but can be fairly painless. I made sure to over communicate and get all the specifics in email and confirmed verbally (over the phone), and I was lucky to work with trustworthy, decent people. Your gut will tell you if someone is a total slimeball. Don't take a cashiers check made to cash to some sketchy place after dark, common sense will cover most of those scenarios.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

For a car like that you want a very complete PPI. Use a well respected shop for that make or a dealer (not the dealer you are buying from). Make sure to have a leakdown done and an inspection done looking for crash damage. You should pay closer to 500 than 100.
No, carfax, certified, or "we inspect every car" doesn't count. If they won't let you inspect it with anything more than an id and a reasonable deposit (refundable), find another car.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

I don't think this is correct for anything but the Jetta (which isn't even related to the golf). The space is much more usable in any event.
Wagons are almost always the same length as the sedan, if not a smidge longer.

Yes, I meant hatchbacks. Here's the Focus

Sonic

Mazda 3

Same for the Elantra vs Elantra GT and Versa sedan vs Versa Note, although those are arguably different cars.

Wagons like the old Focus ZXW or whatever it was called are basically what people *think* hatchbacks are, but they are so rare nowadays it's hardly worth mentioning.

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011
1.Proposed Budget:$2,000 can go higher but looking in this price range
2.New or Used: Used
3.Body Style: Anything but a SUV or truck
4.How will you be using the car?: 15 mile commute, winter driving (I live in Colorado) nothing crazy though, a lot of just driving around town and whatnot.
5.What aspects are most important to you? MPG and reliability I would say

Note: I know next to nothing about cars but I am very willing to learn, this will be my first car and I am just looking to commute to school and basically have some transportation for the next 3 years. I expect things to go wrong and having to pay for parts. I just want something that is going to get good MPG (23+ ideally) and when something goes wrong I can deal with it for a reasonable price. I just don't even really understand what's even okay in this price range. Like should I just be looking at your obvious choices (90's honda's, some volvo's are okay? And Toyota as well?)

Edit: I understand this is going to be difficult to pick out an exact car to target I just want steered in the right direction, for instance are these okay http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4246337852.html last one http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4283431762.htm

Chocolate fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 12, 2014

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Yes, I meant hatchbacks. Here's the Focus

Sonic

Mazda 3

Same for the Elantra vs Elantra GT and Versa sedan vs Versa Note, although those are arguably different cars.

Wagons like the old Focus ZXW or whatever it was called are basically what people *think* hatchbacks are, but they are so rare nowadays it's hardly worth mentioning.

None of those mention the cubic feet for cargo. There's the additional fact that most hatchbacks have rear folding seats that fold completely flat. I'm surprised to hear you think people only like them ironically. I don't think I'll ever own a non-hatchback car.

2 seconds of Googling shows you are wrong about at least the WRX. From http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/impreza-wrx/2014/

quote:

When it comes to hauling stuff, the hatch can accommodate up to 19 cubic feet of cargo while the seats are in place. Folding the rear seats expands that space to a generous 44 cubes. The sedan has an 11.3-cubic-foot trunk.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I just said the hatchbacks are shorter than the sedans.

Here's cars101

Note that 1) The difference in length between the sedan and the hatch is almost as big as the difference between the sedan and a Legacy, and 2) The difference in interior volume (sum of passenger and cargo space) between sedan and hatch is only 1 cf, even though the hatch has 10 cf more cargo volume. I believe this is because the measurement method being different between the sedan and the hatch.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 12, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

I just said the hatchbacks are shorter than the sedans.

Here's cars101

Note that 1) The difference in length between the sedan and the hatch is almost as big as the difference between the sedan and a Legacy, and 2) The difference in interior volume (sum of passenger and cargo space) between sedan and hatch is only 1 cf, even though the hatch has 10 cf more cargo volume. I believe this is because the measurement method being different between the sedan and the hatch.

Those interior volume measures are just passenger volume. They do not include luggage space.
Those numbers are exactly the passenger only volume of the imprezas on fueleconomy.gov
The hatch has a couple more cubic feet because the roof doesn't slope.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=34226&id=34166
http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/Glosspage.do#passenger

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You might really want to consider paying a premium for the car and see if you can find one through CarMax. The CarMax extended warranty is one of the best in the business and they'll ship a car to your closest CarMax from anywhere in the country. Worth looking into.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Chocolate posted:

Edit: I understand this is going to be difficult to pick out an exact car to target I just want steered in the right direction, for instance are these okay http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4246337852.html last one http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4283431762.htm

I'd avoid the first one. Who puts hardpipes and a BOV on a Volvo? Sounds like a retarded teenager owned that car, and you don't want a car that was owned by a retarded teenager.

The other link is dead.

You might be able to snag something like this for 2000 cash.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4283542205.html

this *might* be a worth a look. It's not sexy but you might get a few years out of it.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4278570657.html

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Throatwarbler posted:

What about another Sebring/200 vert? Since it seems to be working out for you. The 2010+ 200s are reliable, can be had for a song, and the convertible top even solves the major issue that the sedan has (very strange looking C-pillar).

poo poo, i didn't realize that they pretty much just renamed the Sebring. I knew they stopped making them, and I really didn't see the point in spending 14k on a used 2005-2006 Sebring when i can get a new Fiat for that price. The 200 looks slick as hell too, and if it sits at the same height as the Sebring then it's perfect. And at 30k brand new, i can get one used when my sebring dies for a song.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I can't believe a Sebring convertible was actually recommended.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Throatwarbler posted:

You must be on drugs.

If you are talking about moving around only suit cases with people in the back seat, maybe it is possible a sedan might hold more than its hatch back variant.

But consider this. I have moved dozens of things in my Fiesta that I could never in a million years fit in my old 300c. The 300c, if you need reminding, is a lot freaking bigger than a Fiesta. Could I put more water in the trunk of the 300? Oh god yes. Problem is, I was moving things like dogs, plants, pre-assembled furniture, 50' TVS, etc.

Imagine a world where you never really have to think (within reason) whether or not something will fit in your car. Your line of thought is literally, "Well this is a bit big. I'll put the seats down."

I will never buy another car without a hatch.. Unless I end up owning more than one car at a time.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

Those interior volume measures are just passenger volume. They do not include luggage space.
Those numbers are exactly the passenger only volume of the imprezas on fueleconomy.gov
The hatch has a couple more cubic feet because the roof doesn't slope.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=34226&id=34166
http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/Glosspage.do#passenger

I was reading the JS1000 or whatever SAE thing they link to and it said under definitions that interior volume was everything together. v:downs:v

AA is for Quitters posted:

poo poo, i didn't realize that they pretty much just renamed the Sebring. I knew they stopped making them, and I really didn't see the point in spending 14k on a used 2005-2006 Sebring when i can get a new Fiat for that price. The 200 looks slick as hell too, and if it sits at the same height as the Sebring then it's perfect. And at 30k brand new, i can get one used when my sebring dies for a song.

Bovril Delight posted:

I can't believe a Sebring convertible was actually recommended.

Everyone in AI hates the Sebring convertible because it's not a Corvette. It works loving fine for what it was designed to do. The pre-2010 Sebring was really ugly and drove very badly with pretty bad fuel economy. The 2010+ 200 is now tolerable to look at inside and out and drives much better. Fuel economy for the 4cyl is still pretty bad and actually worse than the V6. A V6 200 with the convertible top is a fine vehicle for the price.

Math You posted:

If you are talking about moving around only suit cases with people in the back seat, maybe it is possible a sedan might hold more than its hatch back variant.

I never said that. Given the choice, everything being equal I would take a hatch/wagon over a sedan too. I'm just saying that the actual advantages are kind of overstated, for the same reason you don't quote the size of apartments in cubic feet - most people want space to lay poo poo out, not to stack to the ceiling, vertical space isn't as useful. Given that's what the market has determined as well, I wouldn't go out of my way or pay extra for a hatch over a sedan.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Remember, however, that the vast majority of small sedans look terrible compared to the hatch.

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
Dumb question but this seems too good to be true. http://www.automaxpreowned.com/web/used/Honda-Accord-2006-Marlborough-MA/10652520/

A 2006 with 54k miles on it for under 6 grand? I've never bought a car before but I'm looking into getting a new one and this one looks pretty nice for the money. What are the chances that there's something wrong with it, and would the dealer have to to disclose that? Likewise, how is the general reliability of the 2006 Accord series? I know 2006 was a pretty big revamp of that line.

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

Double Bass posted:

Dumb question but this seems too good to be true. http://www.automaxpreowned.com/web/used/Honda-Accord-2006-Marlborough-MA/10652520/

A 2006 with 54k miles on it for under 6 grand? I've never bought a car before but I'm looking into getting a new one and this one looks pretty nice for the money. What are the chances that there's something wrong with it, and would the dealer have to to disclose that? Likewise, how is the general reliability of the 2006 Accord series? I know 2006 was a pretty big revamp of that line.

A search on that vin says it's really at 124k miles.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=ECL_0&vin=1HGCM72646A004259

searching a few other cars on that site, the mileage is incorrect on a lot of cars. i wouldn't buy from them.

sithael fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 14, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

An automatic '06 Accord with 54k miles for $6000? Maybe if it was literally on fire or there were still fish flopping around the back seat from when it was at the bottom of the river.

It doesn't get mentioned much but it's a good idea to research your dealer while you're researching your car. This place also purports to have a 08 Civic with 30k miles on it for 9 grand. Either they're flat out false advertising, it's hot, or it was formerly home to a family of raccoons, who were also on fire.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I love how they have the carfax link right there showing how wrong the mileage is.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

morcant posted:

Proposed Budget: under $25000
New or Used: New, preferably
Body Style: Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Driving a few miles to/from work and the store. A few 2-3hr road trips a year, with one larger ~8hr trip.
What aspects are most important to you?: Automatic transmission, Bluetooth, decent mileage. Something that isn't complete poo poo in snow, since half the streets in my Midwestern town aren't plowed.

I've got a 2005 Focus to trade in, which the internet tells me I should get ~$2k for. I'd like to swing payments under $300/mo, and could put up to $7k down, though I'd prefer a little less than that.

The Mazda 3 is a go-to recommendation in this class. Your list of wants is a little light (I think every non-hot hatch on the market ticks the first three boxes, and I doubt any of them are all that impressive in the snow due to their size), but the 3 is a fun car to drive. The Focus is also popular, but by all accounts their touch interface is actually a reason to not get a well-equipped version. That's not a problem if you don't want the tech package though!

The 3 also just got a refresh, which sorta matters from an aesthetic standpoint; a 2014 will look like newly sold 3s for a while, so it'll continue to look "new." Assuming you don't send it around a pole, of course.

Throatwarbler posted:

Besides the cargo room issue, I also think the hatch versions of cars look better most of the time. My 2012 Mazda3 is a bit of a push, but the sedan Focus looks like rear end compared to the hatch, which I think is pretty :slick:

Boxman fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 15, 2014

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Boxman posted:

The Mazda 3 is a go-to recommendation in this class. Your list of wants is a little light (I think every non-hot hatch on the market ticks the first three boxes, and I doubt any of them are all that impressive in the snow due to their size), but the 3 is a fun car to drive. The Focus is also popular, but by all accounts their touch interface is actually a reason to not get a well-equipped version. That's not a problem if you don't want the tech package though!

The 3 also just got a refresh, which sorta matters from an aesthetic standpoint; a 2014 will look like newly sold 3s for a while, so it'll continue to look "new." Assuming you don't send it around a pole, of course.

My friend just recently bought a new Mazda 3 with a stupid amount of extras, but he's been very happy with it. I'd been sort of looking at the Subaru Impreza the past couple days, but I'll look into the Mazda as well. Especially since the nearest Imprezas I like are 2+ hours away, and there's a nice Mazda 3 right here in my town. Thanks!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

morcant posted:

Proposed Budget: under $25000
New or Used: New, preferably
How will you be using the car?: Driving a few miles to/from work and the store. A few 2-3hr road trips a year, with one larger ~8hr trip.
What aspects are most important to you?: Automatic transmission, Bluetooth, decent mileage. Something that isn't complete poo poo in snow, since half the streets in my Midwestern town aren't plowed.

I've got a 2005 Focus to trade in, which the internet tells me I should get ~$2k for. I'd like to swing payments under $300/mo, and could put up to $7k down, though I'd prefer a little less than that.

You might always want to check out a new Focus, Sync is pretty great as long as you don't get My Ford Touch and it should be way cheaper than a Mazda 3.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Proposed Budget: under $30000
New or Used: New, unless a luxury model
How will you be using the car?:

I don't drive much, but I live in the Twin Cities were we get terrible winter weather. Right now I have a 2007 Honda Fit that only has 40K miles, but it handles like poo poo in this. I really want something with 4WD. I need a hatchback because of my dog and also the utility.

My #1 pick right now is the Subaru Impreza 5-door with the winter weather package or whatever it's called. I'm also considering a pre-owned Audi wagon like the A3 - my Dad had them when I grew up so I grew pretty fond. However it seems like the Diesel wagons aren't really available in the US, and don't have quattro.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

actionjackson posted:

Proposed Budget: under $30000
New or Used: New, unless a luxury model
How will you be using the car?:

I don't drive much, but I live in the Twin Cities were we get terrible winter weather. Right now I have a 2007 Honda Fit that only has 40K miles, but it handles like poo poo in this. I really want something with 4WD. I need a hatchback because of my dog and also the utility.

My #1 pick right now is the Subaru Impreza 5-door with the winter weather package or whatever it's called. I'm also considering a pre-owned Audi wagon like the A3 - my Dad had them when I grew up so I grew pretty fond. However it seems like the Diesel wagons aren't really available in the US, and don't have quattro.

Do you have snow tires on the Fit? If no, try that out and get back to everyone.

If you want an AWD hatchback, your choices are the A3, the Golf R (used), various Subarus, and that's about it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I don't, I'll look into that. Can Blizzaks be used all year or just in the winter?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 16, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

actionjackson posted:

I don't, I'll look into that. Can Blizzaks be used all year or just in the winter?

Winter tires for the winter, summer/all season tires for the summer. Great article: http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/tire-test-all-season-vs-snow-vs-summer.html

TireRack will sell you a complete wheel/tire packagae, WS60s on 14" steel wheels mount and balance for $506 plus shipping to an installer of your choice. This is a pretty decent deal. That way, you can keep your normal tires on your OEM wheels, and just swap wheels over every year. You can either do this in a parking lot with hand tools, taking maybe an hour and change, or you can pay someone to do it, maybe 40 bucks. Also, you will get better life out of your normal tires, since you are only wearing them 1/2 the year.

Oaks
Oct 9, 2007

Test drove a Fiesta (sedan) and a Focus (hatchback) yesterday, and a Mazda3 (hatchback) today, all 2014 models. The Mazda3 easily wins, it's my favorite car so far. Easily the best visibility of the cars I've looked at, and the gear shifting was smoothest as well. The dash was refreshingly simple, especially compared to the 2013 Mazda3 I also test drove--what a mess that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in my head
Apr 16, 2010
I'm going to be buying a car in ~6 months, am currently thinking it'll be an E92 M3, but haven't done any test drives yet. I'm open to other suggestions, if you think something else would be a better fit.

Proposed Budget: Preferably <$50,000 (but this is flexible)
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 2 door
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work (40 freeway miles each way); possibly an occasional road trip with my husband; no hauling, no kids yet, rarely more than 2 passengers but I'd like to have seating for more
What aspects are most important to you? How it drives (responsive, great handling and acceleration, feels connected to the road, etc) is by far the most important. Next would be a comfortable interior, good looks, and safety. I expect to do regular maintenance, but I don't want anything too temperamental that'll leave me stranded on the side of the road. A great-sounding engine is also nice. Tech-wise I don't need anything too fancy, but I do want to be able to sync my iPhone with the car.