Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Gen Coupe maybe? I have no idea how much they cost offhand though.

Could be a possibility... looks like 2010's with 100K miles on them are around the 13K range. If he hunts for a deal he might find one. No idea about issues with them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

skipdogg posted:

After reading that impossible dream of yours, the only thing that comes to mind is an 8th generation Honda Civic Si.

Coupe? -Check
Sporty? - Somewhat, depends on your definition
MPG? - Check
back seat - check
maintenance - I'm not a Honda guy, but it shouldn't be too bad.

The bad news is your budget. 10-13K will get you a 2006 to 2009 model with probably close to 100K miles on it. Increasing that to 15 or 16K would get you a much newer lower mile example.

Really though, those are tough set of parameters to find a car in, especially one without a ton of miles on it and you not knowing how to work on a car.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, but figured I would ask. It's good to know the score. I will look into options that are less exciting but more realistic. Or maybe I'll get lucky and my beater will hold on while I keep saving my pennies for something fun. Either way, thanks guys!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Huh? There are literally millions of V6 Mustangs out there for less than $13k? Even MY 2011s that are actually fast can be had for that price.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Throatwarbler posted:

Huh? There are literally millions of V6 Mustangs out there for less than $13k? Even MY 2011s that are actually fast can be had for that price.

I can't recommend a pre-2011 V6 Mustang, and I'd assume that the 2011+ ones were right at the top of that budget and somewhat hard to find. I could be wrong, I know they sold bajillions of them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Twerk from Home posted:

I can't recommend a pre-2011 V6 Mustang

I'm sure they can still run with a loving Scion tC, and there's the 4.6l V8 too.

I know now that we all have Shelbys and ZL1s that the old Mustangs seem a bit passe, but just a reminder that a 2011 V6 (the old 4.6l had about the same power and turned in a similar lap time) is faster around a track than an STi.

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...l1-class-page-2

I am almost certain that this is far more performance than the OP could possibly need or use on the street. If I had an STi 10 years ago I probably wouldn't be alive today because that is a terrifying amount of power.

An older Stang also does not look like a sedan at all. Seems like it would be plenty of car for his needs.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Grumpo posted:

it's a car that I've always wanted since it I first saw one as a kid.

Edit: Jaguar F type, but that's more than I'll make in 3 years

The new challenger has only been around for 8 years so you gotta be like what under 24 at least?
You're deployed?
You make an average wage?
And you are planning to drop $40k on a spare car for the weekends?

I know this isn't BFC but please don't do this. Put your spare earnings in a retirement account.
Trading up your Focus for an ST sounds like a good plan in your situation. Better if you can put it off until you are off deployment and can pick up a slightly used one.
The challenger will be no fun to drive a trackdays, it will be very expensive to own, in 5 years it have dropped half it's value and you will wish you hadn't bought it.
Seriously, driving big cars on a track sucks, riding big bikes on a track sucks, get something small and fun and cheap to fix to tool around in on the weekends. Future you will be grateful.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'll be the counterpoint and say that I loved my tC and thought it was fun to drive for what it was. The hatch also gives it plenty of room and it was amazingly reliable. Reading your post, I think it's at least worth looking into.

Grumpo
Mar 21, 2011
N/m.

Grumpo fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 18, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Buying a Challenger on a 1LT salary is almost as asinine as your Joes buying literbikes on an E4 salary.

Grumpo
Mar 21, 2011
N/m. I am stupid. Sorry for bothering everyone.

Grumpo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 18, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol why did you edit out your posts

Grumpo
Mar 21, 2011

Awesome! posted:

lol why did you edit out your posts

Cancelling the order, so the discussion was pointless. I tend to spaz out sometimes.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I've been tossing the idea around of selling my E46 and buying a Toyota Tacoma so I can go mountain biking and snowboarding much easier. I've always had unlimited access to a work truck but now I've moved so I either need to buy racks for the BMW or get a truck. I know the racks is a far cheaper option but I honestly just like the idea of having my own truck.

What I am wondering about is everyone thoughts on used vs new. I typically as a rule by used to get more vehicle for the money, but in Canada it honestly seems like the amount of depreciation on Tacoma's makes this a harder choice.

For example I can get a 2012 double cab with 80 thousand kilometers for $33k, while a new one is $35k.

What are your general thoughts on this?

EDIT: I forgot to add that I own a motorcycle and daily drive that to work except for awful weather days so I generally don't put a ton of miles on my car. I guess that either means the car will stay in great condition for a long time, but I am also paying new car deprecation for a vehicle that I'll probably put less than 10k on a year.

Pympede fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 18, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Guinness posted:

I'm entertaining the idea of picking up another 'beater' vehicle to use for outdoorsy stuff: backpacking, climbing, skiing, etc. I'm a gearhead and all, but I'm less well-versed in this market segment than others. I've done some preliminary research, but maybe you guys can offer some ideas.

I already have an E46 that I love for a daily driver and would like to keep the wear and tear of outdoorsy adventures off of it. I'm reasonably handy with a wrench and also have access to a garage with a hydraulic lift.

Proposed Budget: 5-10k ideally
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Large wagon or small-medium SUV
How will you be using the car?: Outdoors mule. Mountain passes, snow/ice, crappy forest roads, hauling up to 4-5 people & gear.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: For this vehicle not as much, though some stuff like heated seats would be a nice bonus.

What aspects are most important to you?

Somewhat in order: utility, "fun" to drive (mostly just not dreadful), reliability, gas mileage.

I'm fully aware that none of these will actually be fun to drive, but I'm hoping for at least something with some character.

Strongly prefer AWD/4WD if for no other reason than WSDOT is waaaay more lenient on AWD vehicles having to chain up in the winter than 2WD. If there's more than like 2 inches of snow they legally require 2WD cars to chain up even if you're running true winter/snow tires, though enforcement is pretty lax. My E46 with snow tires has performed like a champ, but more ground clearance and not technically breaking the law would be nice...

I don't care a ton about gas mileage, but getting 14mpg really sucks. Something within spitting distance of 20mpg would be nice...

I'd really love something with a manual transmission for the simplicity, reliability, and fun but I can entertain the idea of an automatic as long as its a loving bullet-proof transmission. Every auto trans I or my family has ever owned has had issues before 100k which is just stupid.

Things I'm sort of considering, to give you a rough idea of what I'm looking for:
  • 2nd gen Subaru Forester. Pros: Good full-time AWD (I think?). Subarus are ubiquitous around here (and therefore parts/service as well), could maybe stretch the budget for an XT which might be fun. Cons: Subarus are ubiquitous around here and I kind of hate them. Possible head gasket problems. Subarus eat CV joints for breakfast apparently.

• 3rd/4th gen Toyota 4Runner. Pros: Body-on-frame durability and Toyota reliability. Ground clearance. Resale value. Cons: Toyota tax on the used market, pretty bad gas mileage.

• 1st/2nd gen Nissan XTerra. Pros: Body-on-frame durability. Ground clearance. Some sort of neat features for outdoorsy poo poo. Cons: Looks dorky, not as big inside as it looks.

• 2nd/3rd gen Nissan Pathfinder. Pros: basically a Nissan 4Runner? Cons: Awful gas mileage, inflated used prices.

• (somewhat comedy option) J80/J100 Toyota Landcruiser. Pros: it's a fuckin' Landcruiser. Cons: kind of too large, atrociously bad gas mileage, expensive.

• (comedy option) Volvo XC70. Pros: it's a jacked up wagon with nice features. Volvos are pretty common around here so plenty of specialty indy shops. Cons: electrical fuckery, this era of Volvo isn't the run-forever tank of the 1980s.

What do I need to know about these, or what else should I consider? Should I even look at soft-roader stuff like the Highlander and other similar stuff? They seem not actually that spacious and have really mediocre AWD systems (if AWD is available at all).

I'm in the same boat pretty much and need a second car to replace my long gone 2002 Chevy Tahoe. Over your budget but a 2005-2008 Toyota 4Runner with 90k miles (even though it's more to buy) is at least going to be dependable and will fetch more when you sell it than the other choices.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Guinness posted:

I'm entertaining the idea of picking up another 'beater' vehicle to use for outdoorsy stuff
I already have an E46
I'm reasonably handy with a wrench and also have access to a garage with a hydraulic lift.

Fellow Seattle person here.

2nd gen Subaru Forester. I think this would be a great choice if you can find a manual around here. Maybe even look for one with bad head-gaskets to fix. From my understanding the heads rarely warp and the problem is not recurrent if you use a multi-layer steel replacement. (edit: I think these got the redesigned auto transmission which is a pretty strong unit)

3rd/4th gen Toyota 4Runner. Pretty sure the horrible 3.0 v6 will be in most of these in your price range and finding a manual is easier if you are looking at 2nd gen ones. (edit: I guess these have the 5-vz v6, I don't know if it is better then the 3-vz or not. the 1-gr in the 4th gen is supposed to be good though.)

1st/2nd gen Nissan XTerra. If you can find an inline 4 with the manual yeah, I love the VG30 but just watched a friend wrestle with a head-gasket on his, that engine bay is cramped with the v6.

I'll just mention I had a blast with my '88 Subaru GL wagon in Seattle.
pro:
cheap, like $3k after tax, a new set of all terrain tires and a tune-up.
simple the SPI fuel injection is basically all built into the throttle body and right on top of the motor.
gets about 25-mpg no matter how you drive it.
fun, 4wd low and a locking center diff while being a thousand pounds lighter then most of the trucks.
they are everywhere around seattle, and people just throw them away when they get a new car so there are tons in the junkyard with no serious prolems.
you will not give a poo poo about hurting this car or having it stolen.
con:
old, not all that safe.
slow.
will need occasional old car fixes, but they will be cheap.

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 18, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Pympede posted:

I've been tossing the idea around of selling my E46 and buying a Toyota Tacoma so I can go mountain biking and snowboarding much easier. I've always had unlimited access to a work truck but now I've moved so I either need to buy racks for the BMW or get a truck. I know the racks is a far cheaper option but I honestly just like the idea of having my own truck.

What I am wondering about is everyone thoughts on used vs new. I typically as a rule by used to get more vehicle for the money, but in Canada it honestly seems like the amount of depreciation on Tacoma's makes this a harder choice.

For example I can get a 2012 double cab with 80 thousand kilometers for $33k, while a new one is $35k.

What are your general thoughts on this?

EDIT: I forgot to add that I own a motorcycle and daily drive that to work except for awful weather days so I generally don't put a ton of miles on my car. I guess that either means the car will stay in great condition for a long time, but I am also paying new car deprecation for a vehicle that I'll probably put less than 10k on a year.

You should probably find a high mileage fleet truck, buy it, and then after a few years of driving less than 10k a year sell it for what an ordinary truck of that year and mileage would sell for. It's probably going to be an F150 though because that's what fleets buy generally. By fleet I don't mean rental, more like a small contractor lease that gets driven out to the country/oil rigs on the highway a lot.

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!
Proposed Budget: 12-15k
Body Style: Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver to work and around town on the weekends. Once a month or so we'll be driving 3-4 hours for family visits, and longer distances for vacations once or twice a year.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Cruise control and bluetooth (or aux inputs) are the only must-have, but there are some other things I wouldn't mind - see below.
What aspects are most important to you? MPG and reliability are the most important things - everything else is secondary. It would be nice if it wasn't terrible to drive, but right now I'm in a Corolla that I'm perfectly happy with so I'm guessing that it won't be an issue.

Per thread recommendations, I'd thought that the Mazda 3 would likely be my best option - I've been looking at the Skyactive models and while I can find a few around the 15k mark, they were all a little more expensive than I was looking for. I also checked into Ford Focuses and I was surprised to realize that there were multiple 2012ish Focus Titaniums going for 13-14k, and they have all kinds of fancy stuff like leather seats (great for dogs,) sunroof/moonroof and other stuff.

Is there any reason that I should be paying more for fewer features in the Mazda 3, or will the Ford do just about as well?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well the first model year for the Skyactive Mazda3 was 2014, so they cost more because they are two years newer than the Focuses you are looking at?

The Mazda will have better crash test ratings than the Focus, a 6 speed manual available (The Focus manual trasnmission is 5 speeds) and looks better. If you're OK with a Focus you should just get it.

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!

Throatwarbler posted:

Well the first model year for the Skyactive Mazda3 was 2014, so they cost more because they are two years newer than the Focuses you are looking at?

The Mazda will have better crash test ratings than the Focus, a 6 speed manual available (The Focus manual trasnmission is 5 speeds) and looks better. If you're OK with a Focus you should just get it.

I thought the 2012 Mazdas had Skyactive? That's when the MPG took a big jump forward so I assumed. Either way I've been looking at similar model years - '12s and '13s.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kernel panic posted:

I thought the 2012 Mazdas had Skyactive? That's when the MPG took a big jump forward so I assumed. Either way I've been looking at similar model years - '12s and '13s.

Oh right, I forgot they brought out the drivetrain for the last few years of the previous generation too. You should probably go with the Focus then.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

kernel panic posted:

Per thread recommendations, I'd thought that the Mazda 3 would likely be my best option - I've been looking at the Skyactive models and while I can find a few around the 15k mark, they were all a little more expensive than I was looking for. I also checked into Ford Focuses and I was surprised to realize that there were multiple 2012ish Focus Titaniums going for 13-14k, and they have all kinds of fancy stuff like leather seats (great for dogs,) sunroof/moonroof and other stuff.

Is there any reason that I should be paying more for fewer features in the Mazda 3, or will the Ford do just about as well?

Focus Titaniums are an insane value, we got a 2014 Titanium with Nav brand new off the lot for $18k so hearing that a 2 year old one is $13k sounds about right.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I could use some input.

Proposed Budget: $20k upper limit
New or Used: New
Body Style: Compact, 2 or 4 door
How will you be using the car?: Errands like grocery shopping, getting around LA on the weekend; no long commute but occasionally (2-3 times per year) I drive back to Arizona. I don't have a family and generally don't have more than 2 passengers at a time.
What aspects are most important to you?: I'd prefer something reliable with reasonable cost of ownership/maintenance, but has to be compact, not ridiculously tiny like those Smart cars, but something that will help significantly with parking in this city. I'd also like something with a good track record of safety.

Currently I have a 2004 Nissan Xterra that is at the point where if I put any more money into it, I'll be committed to driving it until it's dead; or unloading it while it still has some trade-in value and getting something more appropriate to where I live now (Los Angeles). I know very little about cars so I'm just starting to look around. I got the Xterra when I moved to Arizona and needed something larger to move furniture and stuff around, but now I don't have that need, and I'd rather have something smaller that is easier to park with better fuel economy.

Since I'm just starting to look, of course I asked folks around me for recommendations, and a colleague really likes her Fiat. She's somewhat biased as she's originally from Europe, but I read a few reviews online that rated them positively, but for all I know I stumbled on the only good reviews in existence. I'm going in to test drive a Fiat 500 (Pop or Sport, can't remember exactly which one I was looking at online) on Friday. From what I've seen they fit the bill for what I need in terms of size, and I like the style; my concerns are if there is some glaring obvious reason why it would be dumb to go with it if I end up liking it, or if there is a really good reason to go with a different car. One thing I thought might be an issue is that since it's European, maintenance may be more difficult, but this is LA where I imagine there are probably more than a few shops that can handle Fiats, so it might not be such a problem.

While I'd like to keep the cost down, I also don't mind paying a little more for a car whose style I like better. I do not give a poo poo about luxury and optional crap though. I'm not going to be spending enough time in it during the week to want any cool toys- as long as it has air conditioning and moves I'll be satisfied.

Thanks for any help.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Listerine posted:

I could use some input.

Proposed Budget: $20k upper limit
New or Used: New
Body Style: Compact, 2 or 4 door
How will you be using the car?: Errands like grocery shopping, getting around LA on the weekend; no long commute but occasionally (2-3 times per year) I drive back to Arizona. I don't have a family and generally don't have more than 2 passengers at a time.
What aspects are most important to you?: I'd prefer something reliable with reasonable cost of ownership/maintenance, but has to be compact, not ridiculously tiny like those Smart cars, but something that will help significantly with parking in this city. I'd also like something with a good track record of safety.

Currently I have a 2004 Nissan Xterra that is at the point where if I put any more money into it, I'll be committed to driving it until it's dead; or unloading it while it still has some trade-in value and getting something more appropriate to where I live now (Los Angeles). I know very little about cars so I'm just starting to look around. I got the Xterra when I moved to Arizona and needed something larger to move furniture and stuff around, but now I don't have that need, and I'd rather have something smaller that is easier to park with better fuel economy.

Since I'm just starting to look, of course I asked folks around me for recommendations, and a colleague really likes her Fiat. She's somewhat biased as she's originally from Europe, but I read a few reviews online that rated them positively, but for all I know I stumbled on the only good reviews in existence. I'm going in to test drive a Fiat 500 (Pop or Sport, can't remember exactly which one I was looking at online) on Friday. From what I've seen they fit the bill for what I need in terms of size, and I like the style; my concerns are if there is some glaring obvious reason why it would be dumb to go with it if I end up liking it, or if there is a really good reason to go with a different car. One thing I thought might be an issue is that since it's European, maintenance may be more difficult, but this is LA where I imagine there are probably more than a few shops that can handle Fiats, so it might not be such a problem.

While I'd like to keep the cost down, I also don't mind paying a little more for a car whose style I like better. I do not give a poo poo about luxury and optional crap though. I'm not going to be spending enough time in it during the week to want any cool toys- as long as it has air conditioning and moves I'll be satisfied.

Thanks for any help.

Well you can go and test drive one, the FIAT has some weird ergonomics - e.g. the seating position is very high and upright, that are sort of love it or hate it. Also based on all available data the reliability of the FIATs aren't great, although that wouldn't stop me from buying a new one with a new car warranty. Does not get good crash test ratings. They look pretty cool but I don't see a very compelling reason to get a non-Abarth 500.

Your other options for that price point are

- Ford Fiesta, Chevy Sonic, Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, Toyota Yaris: I think these are all pretty decent relative to each other, the Hyundai/Kia has a longer warranty. Can't really go wrong with any of them.
- Chevy Spark: Kind of like a Sonic but smaller and cheaper, but not that much cheaper so most people who aren't seriously hurting for parking space would bother.
- Scion iq, Mitsubishi Mirage: See Spark
- MINI: It's a BMW, and it has independent rear suspension for superior cornering ability. Kind of expensive for what you get and also unreliable and shoddily built as one would expect from a British car. Does have a 4 year BMW warranty though.
- Nissan Versa: Is probably marginally cheaper than most of the competition. Also has a terrible interior and very poor crash test ratings(IIRC still the most unsafe new car in the US you can buy) so you get what you pay for.
- Honda Fit: The best car in the segment, very useful rear seat folding system for maximum storage flexibility, high tech direct injected engine for great fuel economy and power. Honda knows this though, transaction prices for Honda Fits are closer to what other carmakers get for one segment above this. You get what you paid for.
- Mazda2: Drives nicely if you get the manual transmission. With the automatic it's pretty slow , and also a very old car at this point and due to be replaced with a new model fairly shortly so I would rather wait for that instead.

I think on balance my personal pick would be the Chevy Sonic, since it gets very good crash ratings, can be had with a 6 speed manual and the hatchback is pretty good looking.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Throatwarbler posted:

Well you can go and test drive one, the FIAT has some weird ergonomics - e.g. the seating position is very high and upright, that are sort of love it or hate it. Also based on all available data the reliability of the FIATs aren't great, although that wouldn't stop me from buying a new one with a new car warranty. Does not get good crash test ratings. They look pretty cool but I don't see a very compelling reason to get a non-Abarth 500.

Your other options for that price point are

- Ford Fiesta, Chevy Sonic, Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, Toyota Yaris: I think these are all pretty decent relative to each other, the Hyundai/Kia has a longer warranty. Can't really go wrong with any of them.
- Chevy Spark: Kind of like a Sonic but smaller and cheaper, but not that much cheaper so most people who aren't seriously hurting for parking space would bother.
- Scion iq, Mitsubishi Mirage: See Spark
- MINI: It's a BMW, and it has independent rear suspension for superior cornering ability. Kind of expensive for what you get and also unreliable and shoddily built as one would expect from a British car. Does have a 4 year BMW warranty though.
- Nissan Versa: Is probably marginally cheaper than most of the competition. Also has a terrible interior and very poor crash test ratings(IIRC still the most unsafe new car in the US you can buy) so you get what you pay for.
- Honda Fit: The best car in the segment, very useful rear seat folding system for maximum storage flexibility, high tech direct injected engine for great fuel economy and power. Honda knows this though, transaction prices for Honda Fits are closer to what other carmakers get for one segment above this. You get what you paid for.
- Mazda2: Drives nicely if you get the manual transmission. With the automatic it's pretty slow , and also a very old car at this point and due to be replaced with a new model fairly shortly so I would rather wait for that instead.

I think on balance my personal pick would be the Chevy Sonic, since it gets very good crash ratings, can be had with a 6 speed manual and the hatchback is pretty good looking.

Thanks, this is helpful. I actually like that kind of ergonomics so I'll see how I feel about it on Friday.

What about the Nissan Cube? It's not quite as compact, but we had one for a rental in the Florida Keys once and I thought it was pretty manageable- it's 4 door but I think still easier to deal with than my Xterra as far as parking goes. Forgot about it until after I made my post- I'm not a big fan of the cube shape, I just remember when we were using it for that weekend were all pleasantly surprised by it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Listerine posted:

Thanks, this is helpful. I actually like that kind of ergonomics so I'll see how I feel about it on Friday.

What about the Nissan Cube? It's not quite as compact, but we had one for a rental in the Florida Keys once and I thought it was pretty manageable- it's 4 door but I think still easier to deal with than my Xterra as far as parking goes. Forgot about it until after I made my post- I'm not a big fan of the cube shape, I just remember when we were using it for that weekend were all pleasantly surprised by it.

The height of cars like the Cube mean a serious penalty in terms of highway fuel economy, while you don't seem to really need the marginally expanded storage space. If you like the styling I think the Kia Soul is probably a better/cheaper alternative albeit it has the same issue with fuel economy.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Throatwarbler posted:

The height of cars like the Cube mean a serious penalty in terms of highway fuel economy, while you don't seem to really need the marginally expanded storage space. If you like the styling I think the Kia Soul is probably a better/cheaper alternative albeit it has the same issue with fuel economy.

Okay, that makes a ton of sense. One last question- you said you didn't see a compelling reason to buy a non-Abarth 500; what about the Abarth makes it worth looking at? Thanks again for the input.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Listerine posted:

Okay, that makes a ton of sense. One last question- you said you didn't see a compelling reason to buy a non-Abarth 500; what about the Abarth makes it worth looking at? Thanks again for the input.

It's pretty fast and fun to drive and relatively cheap. The turbo engine is rev happy and makes a cool noise. :geno:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

It's pretty fast and fun to drive and relatively cheap. The turbo engine is rev happy and makes a cool noise. :geno:

The problem is that the Fiesta ST is better in every way except looks and the exhaust.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Throatwarbler posted:

Ok, all things that I don't care about. Well, I'll go ahead and give them a test drive, but looking through that list, I'm definitely going to follow up on some of those others- the Honda Fit looks pretty and is still in my price range. Thanks again for the help.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

The problem is that the Fiesta ST is better in every way except looks and the exhaust.

Depends on how much cash there is on the hood. Folks in the Fiat 500 thread are getting Abarths for ~$16k.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

kernel panic posted:

Proposed Budget: 12-15k
Body Style: Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver to work and around town on the weekends. Once a month or so we'll be driving 3-4 hours for family visits, and longer distances for vacations once or twice a year.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Cruise control and bluetooth (or aux inputs) are the only must-have, but there are some other things I wouldn't mind - see below.
What aspects are most important to you? MPG and reliability are the most important things - everything else is secondary. It would be nice if it wasn't terrible to drive, but right now I'm in a Corolla that I'm perfectly happy with so I'm guessing that it won't be an issue.

For what it's worth, I've been tooling around in a 2014 Focus for a few weeks now. Not a Titanium though, just a base SE hatchback with the 6-speed powershift automatic. So far I'm very happy with it. Relatively quiet cabin, comfortable, fun to drive for a FWD economy hatchback, looks quite attractive in my eyes, and comes with all the gizmos I really want even though it's a pretty low-end trim. Ford Sync feels somewhat clunky at first but really isn't that bad despite what people on the internet say. I usually have my phone on GPS duty while streaming Spotify/Soundcloud over bluetooth and it has been working perfectly.

I've been using it almost exclusively as a grocery-getter in slow-moving stop/start city traffic which is pretty much the least economic way to drive, so my average MPG hasn't been that stellar, but that would obviously increase substantially if you were to chug along on the highway with the cruise control activated. It's not a speed demon but it at least doesn't feel underpowered, and I have no trouble merging/overtaking.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 19, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Listerine posted:

If you're going to buy a Fiat (dear god why) then at least get the fast one so you can gave fun for a year or so?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

kernel panic posted:

If the '12 Focus you're looking at is an automatic, I read enough internet & enthusiast forum chatter regarding transmission problems to make me decide to avoid one. I have no firsthand experience of problems with it and actually really enjoyed the 2012 focus I test-drove, it was a quieter ride and seemed peppier than the '11 Mazda 3 2.5L I tested right after. But in the end I'd just read way too many posts by people trying to decide whether their car had real transmission problems or it was just their unfamiliarity with how a DCT should behave; it's worth a google anyway. By contrast the most concentrated complaints I've read regarding the Mazda3 have been regarding the buggy infotainment system and road noise (both of which are fair complaints).

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking of the Fiesta ST, is it 4wd? And if not then is that an issue? I can't seem to find this information anywhere even in the ST brochure.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Red_Fred posted:

Speaking of the Fiesta ST, is it 4wd? And if not then is that an issue? I can't seem to find this information anywhere even in the ST brochure.

No Fiesta has ever been AWD. Why would that be an issue?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Red_Fred posted:

No Fiesta has ever been AWD. Why would that be an issue?

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
I can't believe I'm in this thread again so soon, but we have to let go of the 09 Challenger SRT8 (damaged, not our fault). So I'm looking for a sporty replacement, coupe, with a manual for sure. I could replace it with another Challenger and try out the new model, but honestly the 2015 Mustang GT seems pretty appealing to me. Looking at the trim levels, I don't really see why I'd need to spring for a premium over the base GT, but I'm admittedly not knowledgable about these.

I was making a list of cars to test drive besides the Mustang and Challenger. Trying to keep an open mind for different brands, but definitely not a Camaro I've driven one and didn't like it. It doesn't have to be a muscle car. Also would prefer to keep it in the 30-40k range, new or used. This would be a daily driver. I went to drive a Subaru BRZ and they wouldn't let me drive it unless I was "absolutely going to buy it". Lol, what? They were treating this $30k car like it was a euro sports car. I walked away without driving, is the BRZ worth me going to the next Subaru dealership an hour away to try it out?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

I can't believe I'm in this thread again so soon, but we have to let go of the 09 Challenger SRT8 (damaged, not our fault). So I'm looking for a sporty replacement, coupe, with a manual for sure. I could replace it with another Challenger and try out the new model, but honestly the 2015 Mustang GT seems pretty appealing to me. Looking at the trim levels, I don't really see why I'd need to spring for a premium over the base GT, but I'm admittedly not knowledgable about these.

I was making a list of cars to test drive besides the Mustang and Challenger. Trying to keep an open mind for different brands, but definitely not a Camaro I've driven one and didn't like it. It doesn't have to be a muscle car. Also would prefer to keep it in the 30-40k range, new or used. This would be a daily driver. I went to drive a Subaru BRZ and they wouldn't let me drive it unless I was "absolutely going to buy it". Lol, what? They were treating this $30k car like it was a euro sports car. I walked away without driving, is the BRZ worth me going to the next Subaru dealership an hour away to try it out?

Did you like your challenger? How would you like a challenger with 485 hp? The MSRP on a 2015 R/T Scat Pack is under $40k and it has the 392. It would be like your challenger, but faster and nicer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Listerine posted:

Ok, all things that I don't care about. Well, I'll go ahead and give them a test drive, but looking through that list, I'm definitely going to follow up on some of those others- the Honda Fit looks pretty and is still in my price range. Thanks again for the help.

I would recommend looking at the Turbo. The Pop/Sport are painfully slow unless you get the manual and even then, you have to drive it like you stole it. Based on your posts, that's not you. The Turbo has more torque and power and is a better fit with the automatic transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

If you've got a Toyota/Scion dealership in your area, the Scion FRS is the same poo poo.

The various Germans, lightly used, might be good options for a sporty two door.