Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

nm posted:

A lot. The G6 was a lovely car and the gxp didn't make it better.

I just need to tell my kids they better get a full ride to college cause daddy wants an ST, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

You can get a used car loan with a 1.99% APR if you shop around.

For 36 months at 1.99%, you're looking at these types of options:

15k, 430/month, 465$ in interest
25k, 716/month, 774$ in interest
35k, 1002/month, 1084$ in interest

Can you beat 3% over 3 years?

I have never seen a used car loan at 2% APR. I have an excellent credit score across multiple bureaus and I was quoted ~5.5% APR over 6 years.

I am an idiot

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 21, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My credit union will do 1.8% (if you apply online) on new and used cars up to 66 months with top tier credit.

https://www.rbfcu.org/NB/html/Reference/Rates/ConsumerRates.htm#CAR1

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Michael Scott posted:

I have never seen a used car loan at 2% APR. I have an excellent credit score across multiple bureaus and I was quoted ~5.5% APR over 6 years.

You're a loving dumbass motherfucker, so I'm not surprised.

I think I got 1.49% on a 3 year note for a 2006 Silverado earlier this year.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

Seconding credit union:

https://www.logixbanking.com/loans/auto/used

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Uh yeah, my credit union is offering 2.09% on used auto loans if they are 2013 or newer, or 2.69% if older. And that's far from the best deal out there. 5.5% is a loving joke.

https://www.becu.org/loans-and-mortgages/auto

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Michael Scott posted:

Do you not know how to use Google?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Thermopyle posted:

Do you not know how to use Google?

I'm a dumbass motherfucker that didn't shop around enough. That 5.5% quote was with major banks, I didn't really include CUs in my search which was dumb.

I ended up paying cash for a cheap-er car (the Fiesta), and while we're on the subject I'm curious if the thread thinks paying cash was an OK option.

If I knew the 2.5% was available easily, I obviously could've taken that loan and invested the sum to come out a little ahead. Was paying cash clearly the worse option?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AriTheDog posted:

Look at a Chevy Volt, especially if you can charge at work or some other place you're at often.

I can't charge anywhere at work, unfortunately, as near as I can tell. Couple of guys here own Teslas and they've told me they haven't heard of any plug-in points accessible to any parking spots. They both own homes and ponied up for 240v (Level 2 I guess?) charging in their garages.

While I look more into the Volt for myself: any particular reason, besides the extra range from the gas motor, you recommend it over the Bolt? I know it's illogical of me--and therefore out of scope for this thread--but I was kinda looking forward to an all-electric, assuming it were feasible. New Toy Syndrome I suppose :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 21, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Michael Scott posted:

I'm a dumbass motherfucker that didn't shop around enough. That 5.5% quote was with major banks, I didn't really include CUs in my search which was dumb.

I ended up paying cash for a cheap-er car (the Fiesta), and while we're on the subject I'm curious if the thread thinks paying cash was an OK option.

If I knew the 2.5% was available easily, I obviously could've taken that loan and invested the sum to come out a little ahead. Was paying cash clearly the worse option?

No, buying a former rental DCT Fiesta with cash was the unequivocally worst option.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That should disqualify anyone from giving advice.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ciaphas posted:

I can't charge anywhere at work, unfortunately, as near as I can tell. Couple of guys here own Teslas and they've told me they haven't heard of any plug-in points accessible to any parking spots. They both own homes and ponied up for 240v (Level 2 I guess?) charging in their garages.

While I look more into the Volt for myself: any particular reason, besides the extra range from the gas motor, you recommend it over the Bolt? I know it's illogical of me--and therefore out of scope for this thread--but I was kinda looking forward to an all-electric, assuming it were feasible. New Toy Syndrome I suppose :v:

A used Volt might make sense since they don't have great resale. There's also a plugin Prius now that probably makes more sense - it has a much smaller battery than the Volt so substantially less EV range but still useful for most people and it's substantially cheaper I think?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

The honda and toyota will be the most reliable.
The chrysler/dodge will be cheap, have stow and go seats (which are really good and useful) but probably break more.

The stowngo is an option, they don't all have them.

The Sedona's 2nd row seats fold up flat and forward behind the first row, in this position you lose like 1' of space lengthwise vs stow'n'go, but folding the seats forward is much less time consuming than operating the stowngo mechanism where you have to lift the carpets and such. For an everyday hauler I think the Kia system is better. And you've got the long warranty of course.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

No, buying a former rental DCT Fiesta with cash was the unequivocally worst option.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That should disqualify anyone from giving advice.

We've gone over rentals many times in this thread before, and the adage seems on the overly-cautious side. Being a prior rental doesn't necessarily make it more likely your car will blow up in a few years compared to a single owner. It was at the price point I wanted with the options I wanted and it was certified.

I hope my choice in car doesn't completely discount what I say or my question about financing, which applies to any car.

The DCT is super polarizing I will admit, but I maintain this is because the majority of Joe Commuters doesn't understand that a DCT will feel different from a slushbox and thinks there's something wrong with the tranny. The fact that Ford keeps choosing this DCT I think points to their confidence in it, even though it might be at a cost savings too. They are staking their already shaky reputation on these things.

The Fiesta is a Good Cheap Car. It's #1 selling in the UK and KBB gives it a 9/10 http://www.kbb.com/ford/fiesta/2015/

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 22, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think you financing a used car at 5.5% disqualifies you though.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

I think you financing a used car at 5.5% disqualifies you though.

Nope, didn't do that! Luckily was in a position to pay cash. I decided to test the waters to see if I could qualify for low rates, which would make financing advantageous. I was surprised to see banks quoting me those high rates when my credit was not too shabby, and decided not to finance.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just go away. Every time you post in this thread it makes me cringe.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Internet Explorer posted:

Just go away. Every time you post in this thread it makes me cringe.

Not sure what's cringey or if you just don't like seeing different opinions. Anything in particular you disagree with?

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 22, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like the thread when you're not posting in it, which is why I am telling you to stop posting instead of not reading it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Also nice edit.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Internet Explorer posted:

I like the thread when you're not posting in it, which is why I am telling you to stop posting instead of not reading it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Also nice edit.

I'm not posting a ton, and trying to contribute when I do. Unless you can tell me what I've said that makes the thread worse, I'll just assume you're being a dick about my Fiesta. Sorry for the derail because I like this thread too.

vvv welp that was a joke and all I could grasp because you think I'm an idiot without explaining why. Thanks for nothing, unfunny jerk.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 22, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't give a gently caress about your Fiesta. I just think you're an idiot and I cringe when people embarrass themselves in public.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Michael Scott posted:

vvv welp that was a joke and all I could grasp because you think I'm an idiot without explaining why. Thanks for nothing, unfunny jerk.

This is what he means.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Whatever, still an unfunny jerk even if I'm unfunny too. Back on topic, I wonder what people have gone with after recommendations from the thread. Sometimes we hear back, but often we don't! How many Prii have we sold?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
why do you keep saying "we"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Michael Scott posted:

Whatever, still an unfunny jerk even if I'm unfunny too. Back on topic, I wonder what people have gone with after recommendations from the thread. Sometimes we hear back, but often we don't! How many Prii have we sold?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbhxjVvfGlE

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Having "different opinion" can also be wrong. Some people tend to think that vaccinations do more harm than good, despite readily available evidence of the complete opposite. Buying former rental, demo, salvaged, and taxi cars is worse, and there is solid evidence of that fact. Just because you bought one and it's fine, doesn't make it statistically equal to other cars. Yet, you continue to beat the drum of ignorance and try to educate people about your special snowflake opinions. Your car buying/driving experience is rather minuscule, when compared to other people here. Why don't you simply stop?

Michael Scott posted:

I have asked the thread specific question and was satisfied with the specific answer. It significantly influenced my buying decision and I'm happy with the new vehicle. No, it's not a Prius.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 22, 2016

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Nitrox posted:

Having "different opinion" can also be wrong. Some people tend to think that vaccinations do more harm than good, despite readily available evidence of the complete opposite. Buying former rental, demo, salvaged, and taxi cars is worse, and there is solid evidence of that fact. Just because you bought one and it's fine, doesn't make it statistically equal to other cars. Yet, you continue to beat the drum of ignorance and try to educate people about your special snowflake opinions. Your car buying/driving experience is rather minuscule, when compared to other people here. Why don't you simply stop?

I have asked the thread specific question and was satisfied with the specific answer. It significantly influenced my buying decision and I'm happy with the new vehicle. No, it's not a Prius.

Oh sure, I'm the first person who wants to know if their opinion is wrong. That's why I like forums, you get to discuss that stuff and have honest conversations. And the people here are smart.

Perhaps you'd like to read back a few pages when we discussed rentals. To repeat a good part of the discussion, most people don't thrash a car when they have a rental, even Joe American. It's mostly highway-centric business tripping. That's why I maintained that I wasn't an idiot to think that there might not be evidence to suggest that a prior rental is, ceteris paribus, worse than the same car but non-rental. Prior rental != salvage title or taxi. I don't simply stop because I enjoy the discussion, and I think it helps people make better buying decisions.

My experience is totally minuscule, which is why I like participating in here to learn what others (except jerks) think.

I'm happy you like your new car :D

VVVVV

As you may be considering the plug-in Prius (called the Prime), here's a review by one of my fav dudes Alex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Vx279YhAI

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 22, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

A used Volt might make sense since they don't have great resale. There's also a plugin Prius now that probably makes more sense - it has a much smaller battery than the Volt so substantially less EV range but still useful for most people and it's substantially cheaper I think?

A used Volt might be what the doctor ordered. Interesting that the Volt before '16 used the ICE as a generator instead of linking it up to the drivetrain and only turning it on when the battery's low, like the current one does. Wonder why they changed that.

That said, I've been a lease kind of person for a long time, worse for money though that might be. What can I say, I like the new car/toy smell v:v:v I've still got a few months to mull it over.

(e) As for the plugin Prius, I know Priuses are sort of the golden child of this thread but I really disliked the couple I've driven; also, I've heard the electric part of the plug-in Prius is kind of phoned in as far as range and effectiveness goes, though I haven't put more than 5 minutes of google into that.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 22, 2016

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ciaphas posted:

A used Volt might be what the doctor ordered. Interesting that the Volt before '16 used the ICE as a generator instead of linking it up to the drivetrain and only turning it on when the battery's low, like the current one does. Wonder why they changed that.

All the Volts *can* hook the ICE to the drivetrain directly and will do so mostly the same way a Prius does once the EV battery falls below a threshhold. I know some AI grognard is going to jump in and tell us how the Volt transmission is completely different from the Prius because it has an extra clutch or gearset or whatever but the end result is mostly the same. It's the most efficient way to do it, that's why everyone does it like that.

quote:

(e) As for the plugin Prius, I know Priuses are sort of the golden child of this thread but I really disliked the couple I've driven; also, I've heard the electric part of the plug-in Prius is kind of phoned in as far as range and effectiveness goes, though I haven't put more than 5 minutes of google into that.

The Prius was never meant to be a primarily electric vehicle like the Volt. It was a gas powered car that used a (much smaller than on EVs) battery to make the gas engine much more efficient. The Volt is what most people are thinking of when they have some wooly idea of what an electric vehicle should be but it doesn't really work that well in practice - in order to have an EV range long enough to be useful it needed a much larger battery than the Prius, so when it isn't running in EV mode it's much less efficient than a Prius, and it was much more expensive(again because of the larger battery) when new even when the Federal government dumped an additional $7k worth of subsidies on it to get it out of the gate. It only made sense for a small number of people who had a commute within the EV range, could charge up at home and at work, and wanted to spend luxury car money on an economy car.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Proposed Budget: $20,000
New or Used: New
Body Style: Probably a compact for MPG
How will you be using the car?: 30 minute commute, driving around town
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, fun to drive, TCO

I'm convinced my van is on its way out, or at least with rates being what they are, not worth the ongoing maintenance. Looking for high 20/30s mpg in a peppy/responsive vehicle with less body roll than a macrocephalic ox. Conventional wisdom leans toward a Mazda 3 but the 2017 model seems less loved.

Also, I am rather tall / long legged, which makes Civics and Prii too uncomfortable for daily driving. Substantial front legroom and a very adjustable wheel are an absolute must.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What, you want leg room and say the Civic/Prius is too small but you want a compact car?

Buy a Prius. Test drive the '17 Mazda3 too, what makes you shy away?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I tried a Prius and didn't fit comfortably, OTOH I tried a Focus and did, it's really more a matter of geometry, where the wheel and dash lie in relation to my knees.

Nothing in particular against the Mazda, just thought I'd see if there was anything I was overlooking.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Michael Scott posted:

What, you want leg room and say the Civic/Prius is too small but you want a compact car?

Buy a Prius. Test drive the '17 Mazda3 too, what makes you shy away?
When we're talking about driver's seat room, size of the car doesn't actually matter much. It is all about ergonomics. I fit fine in my mazda 2 at 6'4", but the same year fiesta (which is the same drat platform) is too small. Seriously, you're telling someone to buy a car that does not fit him and you wonder why people question your posting?

I'd note that the Prius, which I otherwise like at lot, has the worst loving egronomics for tall people ever. Seat is too high (meaning both roof height issues and visibilty issues), seat doesn't go back far enough, wheel doesn't go up enough. I don't know what loving midgets Toyota has designing yhat car, but it has been going on for generations. Meanwhile even the corolla, an otherwise poo poo car for boring people, is mostly fine (or was a while ago, I try to avoid corollas).

OP, my advice is this: just sit in everything you might want to buy. No one on the interwebs can tell you if you will fit as everyone fits different. Pro-tip: make sure you test drive with the transmission you want. I've had cars with high clutch pedals that I'd have otherwise been able to drive as an automatic.

The mazda3 is probably the most compelling car in the segment unless you can get a cheap Focus St, which would likely be overkill anyhow (and less reliable).

nm fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 22, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

Also, I am rather tall / long legged, which makes Civics and Prii too uncomfortable for daily driving. Substantial front legroom and a very adjustable wheel are an absolute must.

This is an unpopular opinion: Try a VW Jetta. I had the most luck with that as far as compact + leg room + steering wheel. Otherwise right now I have a '13 Civic LX (EX sunroof will kill your head room) and it is moderately comfortable.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Either the Passat or the GSW are like 40% better cars than the Jetta for 10% more money.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

nm posted:

When we're talking about driver's seat room, size of the car doesn't actually matter much. It is all about ergonomics. I fit fine in my mazda 2 at 6'4", but the same year fiesta (which is the same drat platform) is too small. Seriously, you're telling someone to buy a car that does not fit him and you wonder why people question your posting?

I'd note that the Prius, which I otherwise like at lot, has the worst loving egronomics for tall people ever. Seat is too high (meaning both roof height issues and visibilty issues), seat doesn't go back far enough, wheel doesn't go up enough. I don't know what loving midgets Toyota has designing yhat car, but it has been going on for generations. Meanwhile even the corolla, an otherwise poo poo car for boring people, is mostly fine (or was a while ago, I try to avoid corollas).

OP, my advice is this: just sit in everything you might want to buy. No one on the interwebs can tell you if you will fit as everyone fits different. Pro-tip: make sure you test drive with the transmission you want. I've had cars with high clutch pedals that I'd have otherwise been able to drive as an automatic.

The mazda3 is probably the most compelling car in the segment unless you can get a cheap Focus St, which would likely be overkill anyhow (and less reliable).

Hmm I was under the impression Prius had more room in the driver's seat than most, seems I was wrong. I just like encouraging people to seriously consider Prii and didn't realize it was a bad fit. Obviously it's unintuitive that a larger car design like that would present such problems for taller people, I'm sure I'm not the only person to make that mistake. Don't discount all of my posting :/

I didn't know Mazda 2 was the same platform as the Fiesta, that's interesting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_B3_platform

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 22, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Please, just stop.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Please, just stop.

Fine I'll stick to what I know from now on.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Michael Scott posted:

Don't discount all of my posting :/

Too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Few months out on my lease, sure, but just for giggles I think I'll go test drive a Volt if I can this weekend. Anything I should keep in mind or look out for in the test drive for a primarily-electric car that differs from an ICE? Only thing I can think of is seeing how well I tolerate the regen braking/one-pedal-driving thing.