Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think the Murano in North America only came with the CVT and the V6. So a 200k mile example probably still has plenty of life left in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
So after a bit of car shopping, we found only one place offering MSRP, with the rest putting pricees above MSRP. We'll probably wait until the chip shortage is over at this point, though having just one car will be inconvenient.

One thing I'm wondering, though, is what prices we'll see then. My suspicion is that prices will go up and stay there, so the prices we're seeing now will be about the same as they will later, after any discounts or incentives. But I've only been car shopping for a few months, so maybe I'm wrong.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only way I'd disagree here is if the reason for the original failure is rampant rust. If the undercarriage is so rotten that major suspension assemblies are falling off, that poo poo's destined for the scrapyard.

Okay yeah there is a lot of rust underneath it was the reason for the control arm getting loose.

A friend of a friend is offering to sell me a 2006 volvo s40 for $3700 with 130k miles and he's gonna give me the list of repairs and stuff done. Good deal?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 3, 2021

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Okay yeah there is a lot of rust underneath it was the reason for the control arm getting loose.

A friend of a friend is offering to sell me a 2006 volvo s40 for $3700 with 130k miles and he's gonna give me the list of repairs and stuff done. Good deal?
The list is nice, but receipts are better. What's more important is how much work does it need right now? You should take this car to your trusted mechanic and have him give you a comprehensive list. As for the price, used car prices are pretty wild right now, so who knows.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi goons instead of bugging the AI stupid questions thread I figured I'd ask in here.

I'm getting a injury settlement with a okay amount of money, and I kinda wanna get a truck and camper with the money after I pay off all my dumb debt that isn't a student loan. The AI thread has helped me tremendously in selecting a Tacoma but now the financial stuff comes into play.

I currently have a 2017 Toyota Corolla XSE with 71050 miles on it. I love it and it's been, knock on wood, clean and mostly babied besides a slight amount of rust near the door and some scratches from a dog (I live in new england). I am considering trading in or selling this corolla towards the Tacoma and making that my daily driver, since I had a 2015 Tacoma and really enjoyed it before getting this. I do roughly 15k a year in miles, with the bulk of that being basically one round trip to Florida from northern NH a year. Otherwise I drive maybe 30 miles a day in New Hampshire.

I guess wherey situation comes up is in the following: I have bad credit (624). I probably won't be able to get a insane loan like I did on this Corolla (I think it's like 3% APR with a $359mo payment). I owe roughly 11.6k on it So I'm not sure what my best course of action would be. I've juggled these options:

1. Just buy the Tacoma with cash and watch most of that settlement go away. But I'd keep the Corolla and the Tacoma would just be a weekend warrior vehicle.
2. KBB says I could probably get ~11k on a trade in for the Corolla, CarMax says ~12k, so I'd be upside down in the former. In that case, would I be better to just use some of the settlement payment and just pay off the rest of the Corollas loan and then have that as a down payment of roughly 12k and then probably have a monthly cat payment of ~600 month? My regular job I could pay that monthly np, especially with the elimination of all CC debt.
3. Just keep the Corolla but get it detailed and a full mechanical tune up somehow. I don't hate the Corolla.
4. Some other option? Not opposed to used trucks, but I just would want android or apple audio and backup camera.

I have real bad FOMO. So I'm hoping you folks can lead me on the right path. I also have a extreme fear of cars breaking down etc after a while from having a dad born in 1930 and a mother who would be too afraid to drive a hour away while growing up.

The Corolla isn't our only car. We have two Volvo XC90 a from like 2008 that run, I just would never take them on a drive to Florida as they are Volvos and mechanically poo poo (plus no heat or ac). But they would do fine with the local driving I do.

Thanks goons !!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hi goons instead of bugging the AI stupid questions thread I figured I'd ask in here.

I'm getting a injury settlement with a okay amount of money, and I kinda wanna get a truck and camper with the money after I pay off all my dumb debt that isn't a student loan. The AI thread has helped me tremendously in selecting a Tacoma but now the financial stuff comes into play.

I currently have a 2017 Toyota Corolla XSE with 71050 miles on it. I love it and it's been, knock on wood, clean and mostly babied besides a slight amount of rust near the door and some scratches from a dog (I live in new england). I am considering trading in or selling this corolla towards the Tacoma and making that my daily driver, since I had a 2015 Tacoma and really enjoyed it before getting this. I do roughly 15k a year in miles, with the bulk of that being basically one round trip to Florida from northern NH a year. Otherwise I drive maybe 30 miles a day in New Hampshire.

I guess wherey situation comes up is in the following: I have bad credit (624). I probably won't be able to get a insane loan like I did on this Corolla (I think it's like 3% APR with a $359mo payment). I owe roughly 11.6k on it So I'm not sure what my best course of action would be. I've juggled these options:

1. Just buy the Tacoma with cash and watch most of that settlement go away. But I'd keep the Corolla and the Tacoma would just be a weekend warrior vehicle.
2. KBB says I could probably get ~11k on a trade in for the Corolla, CarMax says ~12k, so I'd be upside down in the former. In that case, would I be better to just use some of the settlement payment and just pay off the rest of the Corollas loan and then have that as a down payment of roughly 12k and then probably have a monthly cat payment of ~600 month? My regular job I could pay that monthly np, especially with the elimination of all CC debt.
3. Just keep the Corolla but get it detailed and a full mechanical tune up somehow. I don't hate the Corolla.
4. Some other option? Not opposed to used trucks, but I just would want android or apple audio and backup camera.

I have real bad FOMO. So I'm hoping you folks can lead me on the right path. I also have a extreme fear of cars breaking down etc after a while from having a dad born in 1930 and a mother who would be too afraid to drive a hour away while growing up.

The Corolla isn't our only car. We have two Volvo XC90 a from like 2008 that run, I just would never take them on a drive to Florida as they are Volvos and mechanically poo poo (plus no heat or ac). But they would do fine with the local driving I do.

Thanks goons !!

#3. If you don’t have to buy now, don’t. Put the money away and when (if?) the market calms down you can find something.

Also set up an emergency fund if you don’t already have one.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This light be more appropriate for the stupid question thread but what should I get done for a full tune up?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
How is your overall financial health? It sounds a bit precarious, and the fact that you also describe yourself as having extreme FOMO makes me concerned that this is just a really bad set of financial decisions and you should probably use the windfall to further secure your financial situation. Feel free to tell me I'm totally wrong and off-base, this comes from the outside looking in with very incomplete information.

Here's my take - you have bad credit and CC debt, which generally indicates some sort of saving/spending problem. Maybe exogenous factors here (related to why you are receiving a settlement due to injury or something of this nature?), but maybe not, which would be concerning. You're getting a one-time windfall which is a decent chunk of change but basically enough money to pay cash for a Tacoma after paying off debts. You are planning to pay off debts, which is great. But then you seem to be planning to spend the rest of the settlement on a pair of depreciating assets that will be more costly to acquire and operate than your current car. Additionally, affording $600/mo sounds contingent on you paying off CC debt that you are carrying, which makes me concerned that you aren't saving very much money and you don't have a lot of wiggle room in your budget between income and fixed expenses.

In terms of a tune-up, you don't need to do anything. This is a modern EFI car, they don't need anything. Just follow scheduled maintenance in the manual. Usually A and B service have a "look at everything that could be wrong" component, your mechanic will tell you if anything is required beyond the standard A/B.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thabks for the reply. I had great credit in 2017 but a cross country move made me fill my credit cards. My debt is only (not including car and student loans) maybe 10k at most? 2k of which is a loan from my girlfriends parents for a pet bill and 2k is medical bills that I refuse to pay but will if I have to (they're uncovered workman's comp things).

I understand how shifty it sounds lol. I don't have a emergency fund but I would absolutely put maybe 5k aside for savings no matter what. We don't pay rent as the house is owned by my gfs parents. I pay the cc bills monthly and I could pay them off probably in a month or two but I don't like having near 0 in my bank account even if it means no long term debt, plus I try to pay the monthly plus interest on them all. Yes I know that's dumb lol.

So yeah, the truck and camper wouldn't be essential it would just be for fun and a way to "save" money on our hotel stays and just for fun. Other than that, the bulk majority of it would sit in a savings account I guess, or I'd maybe go back and finish the one year of school I have left and quit my part time job. Financial wise, I could live off my main job, I'm just a sicko who likes to work.

Thanks for all the help.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think you would be better served making a thread in BFC.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha okay I probably will then.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
A truck bed with a camper top still has less room than a minivan

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nitrox posted:

A truck bed with a camper top still has less room than a minivan

It would be towing one of these

https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetails/new-travel-trailer-rvs/2021-coleman-coleman-rubicon-1608rb-rear-bath-20k-CNW192233

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
The link is broken, but it looks like it’s trying to go to a ~$30,000 trailer.

I’m guessing your planned truck purchase is at least another $30,000 or so.

You’re looking at spending something like $60,000 on what you’re calling a “for fun” purchase - basically toys - while you have mediocre credit, significant consumer debt, and student loans. You will not save money on hotel rooms unless you’re in the habit of renting $1,500/night suites.

You should make a BFC thread or find some other way to take a hard look at your finances before you start buying anything with wheels.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It sounds like you have an excellent opportunity to put your requisite 6 months family expenses in savings (which is also fat that helps you not do things like fill credit cards up with unforeseen expenses like moving somewhere). Your intuition seems half right, you should use your windfall to settle debts and build savings.

Settle everything with toxic APRs, build your savings to absorb 6 months expenses or another unforeseen moving event which put you underwater originally, whichever is more. Note I use that as a benchmark but not because you will exactly move in the same way again, but because people's unforeseen events usually repeat themself in magnitude but not in exact causes.

If you can afford a truck sized down payment and a truck sized car note after all that congratulations. If you don't you can still just get a truck and be underwater again, most of the US does and they only occasionally become homeless and move into their trailer.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thank you all for the advice. Yeah I'm not dead set on the idea anyways except maybe upgrading to a entry level truck or SUV at some point (driving a Corolla in new england winters can suck) down the road in the next 5 years. Although, once I pay off the debt my credit score should go back up right? So by then I should be able to get good financing again.

I guess fun isn't the right word for the truck, bit it definitely applies to the camper. I would need to rent a camper anyways before commiting to make sure I actually like them. But either way it sounds like it wouldn't be in the best interest financially to get one anyways lol. I'll make a BFC thread tonight though for some more advice from friendly goons :3.

Thanks all

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thank you all for the advice. Yeah I'm not dead set on the idea anyways except maybe upgrading to a entry level truck or SUV at some point (driving a Corolla in new england winters can suck) down the road in the next 5 years. Although, once I pay off the debt my credit score should go back up right? So by then I should be able to get good financing again.

I guess fun isn't the right word for the truck, bit it definitely applies to the camper. I would need to rent a camper anyways before commiting to make sure I actually like them. But either way it sounds like it wouldn't be in the best interest financially to get one anyways lol. I'll make a BFC thread tonight though for some more advice from friendly goons :3.

Thanks all

Woah woah woah......you've no ever camped in a camper? Do NOT go buying a truck just to rent a camper to see if you like it or not. In fact, don't buy ANYTHING in this market. Your posting is full of red flags and I agree with everything that's been said about this so far: you're about to make a huge mistake and turn what could likely be life changing financial security into a bunch of overpriced toys. This is what someone who's never had any money does when they finally get a big chunk of money. Don't be that person. Make your BFC thread, let people help you budget and save. Financial security is way more satisfying than trucks and campers, even if it turns out that you actually like either or both of those things, which nobody including you even knows. This sounds like a fever dream and you need to get yourself off of it. You've even started with the justifications of "driving a Corolla in new england winters sucks". Yes, it does when you are on all seasons. The ONLY thing you should be considering spending money on right now is a set of snow tires.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have snow tires for the Corolla and drove a 2015 Tacoma so I know I like trucks but yeah I wouldn't buy a camper without seeing I liked it first or a truck just for a camper. Id rent one of those RVs anyways first before doing this. But I'm not going to do this anyways lol. I'm surprised to learn about the red flags though. I didn't think my debt was that....bad?

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 3, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I have snow tires for the Corolla and drove a 2015 Tacoma so I know I like trucks but yeah I wouldn't buy a camper without seeing I liked it first or a truck just for a camper. Id rent one of those RVs anyways first before doing this. But I'm not going to do this anyways lol. I'm surprised to learn about the red flags though. I didn't think my debt was that....bad?

The fact that you got into debt due to a move is the red flag. It indicates you weren't saving properly. You just got an opportunity to reset all of this and do it right. An opportunity most people will never get, at the expense of what sounds like an injury. Don't spend it like a sailor on shore leave. Especially if this injury has long term future employment or medical implications.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

I don't know why you'd want the camper in the first place. Even if you did have the $30,000 in fun money just lying around, that would probably pay for 6 nice vacations for two including flights, hotels, and restaurants, as long as you don't go too crazy. And you wouldn't be limited to places within driving distance. And you wouldn't have to worry about storing and maintaining the camper.

If you want to go to a place, get a hotel or AirBnB or whatever. If you want to go camping a nice tent and some camp beds/sleeping bags and camp stove can all be had for under a grand or two. Where is it you want to go that you will be going often enough to justify buying this camper? Does this place not have rental cabins etc? Are you morally opposed to sleeping in a tent?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Maybe wait for his BFC thread guys.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Man buying a Tacoma is a lovely experience anyways. I’m still waiting a month for my 2021 to be delivered and they just announced 2022, feels kind of bad man. They’re not making any big changes though so whatever I guess.

Also if you’re ever going to tow a camper Id get a full size not a Tacoma.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
It's funny, you see a lot of advice online about how the best way to get savings on a new car is to just email a bunch of dealers, get their out the door pricing, and then play them off each other to get to the lowest price. In actually trying to do this though, it's become obvious really quickly that dealers are absolutely terrible at responding to email or even text. I've gotten firm numbers from a whopping three dealers after a week of trying, and they just do not like to haggle, discuss specifics, or respond to other deals at all.

My only guess is that with the supply constraints caused by the chip shortage, they're just abandoning communicating via the web, which was probably their lowest ROI channel anyway.

In any case, my CR-V EX-L chase has narrowed to:

• ~$33,600 OTD FWD in the color the wife likes. They slapped an "appearance package" on it which sours what would otherwise be the best price, but maybe there's still bargaining room there.
  • ~$33,300 OTD FWD for one that is still in transit. If I reserve it before it arrives they promise they won't add $660 of bullshit accessories.
  • ~$34,500 OTD AWD. I don't really want the AWD, but the price diff isn't much and this dealership is the closest to my house and they don't gently caress around which I like.

Regrettably no FART VINs, but there are a bunch on the market. More FARTs than deals, anyway.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Chad Sexington posted:

It's funny, you see a lot of advice online about how the best way to get savings on a new car is to just email a bunch of dealers, get their out the door pricing, and then play them off each other to get to the lowest price. In actually trying to do this though, it's become obvious really quickly that dealers are absolutely terrible at responding to email or even text. I've gotten firm numbers from a whopping three dealers after a week of trying, and they just do not like to haggle, discuss specifics, or respond to other deals at all.

I've argued against doing this multiple times in this thread. It's generally a giant waste of time trying to deal with normal dealers online and buying a new car. I'm sure it works out for some people, but I've personally found it to be a giant waste of time.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I had dealers straight up laugh at true car’s “true price”

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What are the signs that the market is good to buy in, anyways? Do those times even exist for luxury/sports cars?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I had good luck with getting a quote from one local dealer and then shotgunning that amount as the price to beat to every other dealer in the area. Most didn't respond, sure, but one that did gave a very good price. Only one data point, though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wonder how well the Costco buying service is doing these days.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Residency Evil posted:

Wonder how well the Costco buying service is doing these days.

they referred me to a dealer 50 minutes away who wouldn't tell me what the price was without going in person lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Why do people love Tacoma's so much anyway. I don't see it, but I'm also just not a truck guy.

Chad Sexington posted:

I have the same experience, I think it's intentional? They're trying to remove you from the calm environment where you can rationally compare things, and bring you in so they can pitch to you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nomyth posted:

What are the signs that the market is good to buy in, anyways? Do those times even exist for luxury/sports cars?
It's easier than ever to stalk dealer inventory on the internet. Stock go down, which is generally what's happening now, you're hosed. Stock stay the same, maybe you can get some deals. Stock go up, get ready for the fire sale.

There are commodity luxury and sports cars. These are the ones on the lot in quantities of more than 1. The above generally applies, if there's enough stock to keep tabs on their velocity.

There's high end that they keep on the lot. These aren't usually gonna go on sale and when they do you can probably treat them as 1 year used because they are endlessly test drived by people who can't afford them or given out as loaners to try and hook the more gullible marks running through their maintenance shop. Buy it out the catalogue if you want it, but you aren't gonna get a deal.

A lot of the top end just aren't on the lot unless you're in a worldwide top 20 by wealth city. You gotta buy out the catalogue. It's gonna cost what it's gonna cost.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

zedprime posted:

A lot of the top end just aren't on the lot unless you're in a worldwide top 20 by wealth city. You gotta buy out the catalogue. It's gonna cost what it's gonna cost.

Chicago's #5 on that list but you're definitely making a good case to look at models that are far more commoditized instead of a super special butterfly model-trim

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Nomyth posted:

Chicago's #5 on that list but you're definitely making a good case to look at models that are far more commoditized instead of a super special butterfly model-trim

Like what kind of car are you talking about here?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

skipdogg posted:

Like what kind of car are you talking about here?
He should buy a Miata but we may or may not have convinced him to get a top trim Corvette "accidentally as a joke" on purpose.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Chad Sexington posted:

they referred me to a dealer 50 minutes away who wouldn't tell me what the price was without going in person lol

Do you have any recourse with Costco?

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Nomyth posted:

Nothing this side of a Hellcat or GT4 counts as super special for the purposes of this discussion though

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

My Lexus Is okay! Alignment is in good shape. There’s no way I’m getting my money back, so at the very least I have a reliable vehicle that has some cheap paint that will fade if I don’t use a car cover. Engine brakes mechanical systems hybrid battery all that’s in great shape. The shop I trust just says to bring it in every 3000 miles for oil changes and checks and it’s fine.

I still overpaid by a couple thousand because it’s technically a salvage, but I’m relieved and happy that I at least have the vehicle I wanted.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thekeeshman posted:

I don't know why you'd want the camper in the first place. Even if you did have the $30,000 in fun money just lying around, that would probably pay for 6 nice vacations for two including flights, hotels, and restaurants, as long as you don't go too crazy. And you wouldn't be limited to places within driving distance. And you wouldn't have to worry about storing and maintaining the camper.

If you want to go to a place, get a hotel or AirBnB or whatever. If you want to go camping a nice tent and some camp beds/sleeping bags and camp stove can all be had for under a grand or two. Where is it you want to go that you will be going often enough to justify buying this camper? Does this place not have rental cabins etc? Are you morally opposed to sleeping in a tent?

I'm going to post my bfc thread in a little bit BUT outside tent camping sucks once you get below South Carolina, so that would be the reason. Plus we could theoretically take our cat with us instead of paying someone to watch him. I'm not opposed to cabins and such, never really thought about it though, but cabins are usually more expensive than a Hampton inn room. My justification for maybe a camper is the following:

We usually do about 20 nights in a hotel in a year between vacation and visiting family and work. That's 20 * 120 which is 2400 a year, which times ten years is 24,000, so about equal with the camper not including maintenance etc etc.

Thanks all

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In and out parking fees on an improved spot run like $50-75 a night these days anywhere you aren't constantly watching your underwear and grill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I'll pass lmao.