Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

All cars are made with parts sourced from all over nowadays. Priuses are in demand but so is everything else and they sold a bajillion of them. If you can find a Prius in good condition within your budget, it's an easy buy. If not, look at all the other appliance vehicles - RAV4, Accord, Santa Fe, Focus, etc. In general, CUVs, compact sedans and hatches all share the same platform within a manufacturer, so it's whatever. The most important thing is to get a pre purchase inspection from a mechanic you trust. If the seller won't let you take it to get an inspection, don't buy it!

And again, if you don't need a car immediately, use that to your advantage to shop around and wait for the right deal.

Edit: I know you don't care about tech but the safety features in newer cars are huge deals and can save your life. This is important for everybody but especially a newer driver.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah i was going to say that a 1990 Honda Accord is reliable (ish, it's 30 years old, poo poo just wears out) and has good visibility but compared to any post-2010 car it's not safe at all. Probably no ABS, maybe a single driver side airbag, made out of recycled Asahi cans with little understanding of crash dynamics, no stability control or brakeforce distribution, etc. Moving to a $10k car will make you significantly safer.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Get a 10th generation (2009- 2013?) Corolla. Try to find one with low(ish) km.

The Dark Grey is a good colour for not attracting attention.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You're mostly going to get a ticket for being an rear end in a top hat or DWB. It's more that the assholes are drawn to the red cars. Correlation not causation etc.

Get the color you want, or more likely in the used market right now, the color that is on the well priced trustable car. Given the assholes probably were worse at maintaining their car, it's probably going to be boring colored anyway.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
Proposed Budget: Hopefully under $30k? I'm not used to buying cars that cost more than $8k, but I don't really think I have a choice anymore.
New or Used: Assuming used but open to new.
Body Style: IDGAF
How will you be using the car?: I'm going to be driving my wife, her parents, a 2-year old, and a newborn. Obviously the newborn and the toddler will be in car seats. We'll need a lot of seats.
What aspects are most important to you? The car just needs to work. My schedule is batshit insane. For context, my wife has a Toyota Corolla. It's the perfect car for us but simply doesn't have enough seats. Also, I live in the greater Boston area so maneuverability (especially when it comes to parking in tight spaces) and handling on the snow are key. This is a baby hauler, not a sports car, so the obvious requirements go along with it (safety, etc)

My co-workers love their new x5's and Tesla X's for this (or possibly Cayenne Turbos), but that's all way outside my price range.

diadem fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 17, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

diadem posted:

Proposed Budget: Hopefully under $30k? I'm not used to buying cars that cost more than $8k, but I don't really think I have a choice anymore.
How will you be using the car?: I'm going to be driving my wife, her parents, a 2-year old, and a newborn. Obviously the newborn and the toddler will be in car seats. We'll need a lot of seats.
What aspects are most important to you? The car just needs to work. My schedule is batshit insane. For context, my wife has a Toyota Corolla. It's the perfect car for us but simply doesn't have enough seats. Also, I live in the greater Boston area so maneuverability (especially when it comes to parking in tight spaces) and handling on the snow are key. This is a baby hauler, not a sports car, so the obvious requirements go along with it (safety, etc)

My co-workers love their new x5's and Tesla X's for this (or possibly Cayenne Turbos), but that's all way outside my price range.
Crv or rav4 or Cx-5? Though those all have the same number of seats as a Corolla so maybe a larger 3rd row suv like a telluride or something

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

diadem posted:

Either you haven't looked at those cars to realize they are 2 row or I'm confused by your requirements. If you need to drive 6 people around, 2 of them in car seats, you need a 3 row vehicle. In your case it sounds like minivan time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

diadem posted:

Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey. I personally favor the Sienna. You should be able to find a decently equipped 2017 or 2018 around 30K.... maybe. Used car market is freaking nuts right now.

You may be better off buying brand new if you can stretch the budget to 35K.

Many of the thread regulars like the Pacifica, but it might be out of budget. The Chrysler Voyager is closer to budget, but I don't know much about them.

The minivan is the best option though, fantastic people movers and 7 to 8 comfortable adult and car seat friendly seats. Even the largest 7-8 passenger SUV's don't have a comfortable 3rd row for adults. We have an Expedition and even with a vehicle that size the 3rd row is for kids. Adults will survive for shorter trips but no way I'd sit back there for 4 or 5 hours.

semi fake edit: Neither my wife or I wanted to buy a minivan, despite knowing it was the best vehicle for our needs when the kids were younger. We had a series of Ford Explorers, and currently a Ford Expedition. We made due with the occasional use of the 3rd row in those vehicles, but it was not the best vehicle. I borrowed a family members Sienna for a weekend once and it was by far the superior family and kid hauling vehicle. We do not regularly use the 3rd row in our cars. If you're regularly going to have your parents in the car, the minivan is the only sane answer. I don't know how old your folks are, but they're probably not going to want to climb into the 3rd row of any SUV and sit back there for any extended amount of time.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 17, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

I'm not married to the four door sedan really, it's not the most important part. I kinda assumed that priuses were super expensive from high demand and being made of stuff that comes from across the world. I drive pretty much every day, but not for like hours on end or anything, just to get to the gym and grocery store and stuff.

How about a V6 Accord coupe. It's also an accord but V6 and you can get it with a manual

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey. I personally favor the Sienna. You should be able to find a decently equipped 2017 or 2018 around 30K.... maybe. Used car market is freaking nuts right now.

Many of the thread regulars like the Pacifica, but it might be out of budget. The Chrysler Voyager is closer to budget, but I don't know much about them.

The minivan is the best option though, fantastic people movers and 7 to 8 comfortable adult and car seat friendly seats. Even the largest 7-8 passenger SUV's don't have a comfortable 3rd row for adults. We have an Expedition and even with a vehicle that size the 3rd row is for kids. Adults will survive for shorter trips but no way I'd sit back there for 4 or 5 hours.

the pacifica is reasonable now

i would strongly consider if you really are going to drive your parents around. if they can also drive themselves that is generally a better option

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
If it makes that much of a difference, I can change my budget to $35k

Thanks for the options! I'll take a look at all of these.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bumping the budget up to 35K lets you consider new vans. The used market is so nuts right now I find the prospect of buying a 3-4 year old van for 85% of MSRP to be absurd, buying new right now can sorta make sense.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Our 2019 Pacifica is still doing pretty good overall. The difference between the Voyager and the Pacifica other than the badge is that the Voyager really just encompasses what used to be the lower 2-3 trims of the Pacifica. Depending on what features you want, that may make tracking down a Voyager a good, cheaper option.

Our few problems so far:
We've had some issues with some unexpected hard shifting on the transmission. Infrequent, but startling when it happens. When this happened early on, the dealer was able to make an adjustment that lasted for a while. Only recently came back.
The auto start/stop function we have is unavailable for the second time. Apparently this is related to the auxiliary battery, which we had replaced as warranty work before, but I need to do myself now to save a few bucks.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

How about a V6 Accord coupe. It's also an accord but V6 and you can get it with a manual

Why would the "I want a reliable commuter car for cheap" person be looking at a 2 door manual sports coupe?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Motronic posted:

Either you haven't looked at those cars to realize they are 2 row or I'm confused by your requirements. If you need to drive 6 people around, 2 of them in car seats, you need a 3 row vehicle. In your case it sounds like minivan time.

X5 has optional 3rd row since ~2020(?)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

X5 has optional 3rd row since ~2020(?)

That's a joke, right?

Have you seen that third row? It's nearly useless for adults in a best case scenario. Now move the middle row seat back far enough for an infant seat and see if "people with legs" can still fit back there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

That's a joke, right?

Have you seen that third row? It's nearly useless for adults in a best case scenario. Now move the middle row seat back far enough for an infant seat and see if "people with legs" can still fit back there.

the tiguan has a third row now lmao

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

Why would the "I want a reliable commuter car for cheap" person be looking at a 2 door manual sports coupe?

It's an Accord like the OP already has, will be reliable and affordable since they've depreciated by now. The V6/MT is optional of course if they're into that. That's the AI side's alternative to everyone driving priuses :shrug:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking at 1950's traction avants in Europe still

Basically turn key models fall into two camps:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1329402
Inline 6 3.2 liter 75hp with original exterior paint, $30,000,

Or,

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1323353
Inline 4 2.0 liter 46hp restoration, $20,000

Both cars weigh about 2500 lbs. 46 horse isn't a whole lot probably going to be driving with your foot down all the time. This would mostly be used to drive 2-5 miles to the grocery store twice a week and 10 miles to the beach via local roads once a month (0 highway use).

I guess, is the 2x horsepower worth the extra $10k? Presumably if I ever sell it (after importing it) I'll get the money back I paid for it. The inline six is inherently more smooth, and considerably more rare, I don't think they even offered the six until 15+ years into the production run (mfg 1936-1956)

Doesn't look like it's too hard to retrofit seatbelts/lap belts in these cars? Looks like I'm in another $200-500 add lap and shoulder belts to four of the seats

The inline 4, this one in particular, still has it's 6v system, so would want to put in a tiny 12v system (6v to 12v setup up inverter + 5aj lifepo4 battery in the glove box?) so I could charge my phone/put in a hidden stereo. 12v conversions are pretty common but don't want to have a surgery project for weeks right away

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 18, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Does the I6 being more rare impact parts availability? That would be my main concern with the I6.

6V is a pain, I'd be inclined to just bite the bullet and do the conversion up front.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Or,

Both cars weigh about 2500 lbs. 46 horse isn't a whole lot probably going to be driving with your foot down all the time. This would mostly be used to drive 2-5 miles to the grocery store twice a week and 10 miles to the beach via local roads once a month (0 highway use).

I guess, is the 2x horsepower worth the extra $10k? Presumably if I ever sell it (after importing it) I'll get the money back I paid for it. The inline six is inherently more smooth, and considerably more rare, I don't think they even offered the six until 15+ years into the production run (mfg 1936-1956)

Doesn't look like it's too hard to retrofit seatbelts/lap belts in these cars? Looks like I'm in another $200-500 add lap and shoulder belts to four of the seats

The inline 4, this one in particular, still has it's 6v system, so would want to put in a tiny 12v system (6v to 12v setup up inverter + 5aj lifepo4 battery in the glove box?) so I could charge my phone/put in a hidden stereo. 12v conversions are pretty common but don't want to have a surgery project for weeks right away

Even knowing nothing about Traction Avants, that i6 one is the one to get. One owner for the past 56 years, with decades of documentation, and that tidy underneath? Unless your intention is to beat on it, in which case get the cheaper one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

Or,

Have you considered a Prius instead?

My beater fit with the L13A makes like 80hp and is perfectly fine to drive even in the highway. Id imagine the I4 would be ok for your purposes too though, but would be more of an "experience" plus you can keep the ten grand for other purposes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Have you considered a Prius instead?

My beater fit with the L13A makes like 80hp and is perfectly fine to drive even in the highway. Id imagine the I4 would be ok for your purposes too though, but would be more of an "experience" plus you can keep the ten grand for other purposes.

Our daily driver is a newish (to us) german sedan, so this is strictly to get me to the grocery store and back, or pick up our kid from daycare in an emergency (we'd be retrofitting shoulder+lap belts, and the car seat is lap belt compatible)

The Honda Fit is a loving rad rear end hell car, everyone I know who has one loving loves it

Wife's new job is forcing us to move cross country to a low cost of living area, this wildly inappropriate daily driver car is my concession prize. Other possible options include: Z28 1977 Camaro, 1968 308 mustang convertible. If I have to live in the loving suburbs after living downtown for six years, I'm getting a weird rear end French gangster movie car. But not Citroen DS epcot Tomorrowland weird.

Honestly if we didn't have the kid, I'd just buy the first locost 7 or FFR ac cobra that came on BaT. But those have no rear seat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what the gently caress who doesn't like the DS

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
My trusty 98 Honda prelude almost certainly got totaled by a rear ended accident. My plan had been to keep driving it until car prices got more normal or I found a deal, but welp.

Because of that I haven't been paying any attention to the market or strategies, so I could use some advice. I have alternate transport I can use, either my truck or a spare car from my parents, but neither gets great gas mileage and I had been idly looking for a new car anyway.

So, should I continue to wait or are there still decent deals to be found? On the assumption there are, here's what I'm looking for:

• Daily driver, so low cost of ownership, maintenance burden, and good gas mileage
  • Coupe or sedan is fine, but I'm over 6' so leg room is nice. That said I liked the Prelude fine, it had a decent amount of space but I had the seat all the way back and my head was almost to the roof
  • Budget is less of a concern, I have money and great credit. I'm more concerned with great value than lowest price
  • I drive my cars into the ground but take decent care of them on the way down, so reliability and long lasting are ideal
  • No preference for new or used
  • I can drive stick if there's some option that opens up

My spouse got a Prius and I've been pretty pleased with that, 56 mpg is awesome. Of course there's also the perennial favorite, a Miata :sun: Anything else I should be looking at or aware of?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Why own one Prius when you can own two Priuses?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

ethanol posted:

Why own one Prius when you can own two Priuses?

Prii :colbert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

as an alternative, various Japanese midsize sedans are a good choice including the Accord, Camry, and Mazda6. The former two come in hybrid versions. The Civic Coupe is also an option, that will probably be closest to your Prelude in terms of feel on the market these days (it will not feel very similar).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

as an alternative, various Japanese midsize sedans are a good choice including the Accord, Camry, and Mazda6. The former two come in hybrid versions. The Civic Coupe is also an option, that will probably be closest to your Prelude in terms of feel on the market these days (it will not feel very similar).

I saw people recommending the Accord sport sedan and the Mazda 3 as possibilities. I did love how zippy the prelude was

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

My dad drives a 2014 accord sport v6 manual and it’s been pretty solid. He’s only just starting to complain because he had to change an o2 sensor (lol). I’d rate that as pretty good for him considering his car turnover rate averages closer to 3 years. I enjoy driving it as well. It’s spacious but zippy, and the clutch pedal and shifter feel awesome in it, they really did a good job with the action.

Edit: to clarify, he bought it new, not recommending a 2014 I’d get something newer or new

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 21, 2021

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Not a Latin word, doesn't pluralize as one. :colbert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

not latin, but Toyota declared that the plural is Prii so therefore it is since it's a made up word

if it were actually Latin, either it would be a first or fourth declension noun so the nominative plural could be either Prii or Prius depending on the declension

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

not latin, but Toyota declared that the plural is Prii so therefore it is since it's a made up word

if it were actually Latin, either it would be a first or fourth declension noun so the nominative plural could be either Prii or Prius depending on the declension

NERD!

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

skipdogg posted:

semi fake edit: Neither my wife or I wanted to buy a minivan, despite knowing it was the best vehicle for our needs when the kids were younger. We had a series of Ford Explorers, and currently a Ford Expedition. We made due with the occasional use of the 3rd row in those vehicles, but it was not the best vehicle. I borrowed a family members Sienna for a weekend once and it was by far the superior family and kid hauling vehicle. We do not regularly use the 3rd row in our cars. If you're regularly going to have your parents in the car, the minivan is the only sane answer. I don't know how old your folks are, but they're probably not going to want to climb into the 3rd row of any SUV and sit back there for any extended amount of time.

I did a bit of digging and the Pacifica sounds great in theory. I can save up for a bit and buy it a bit closer to the due date of the next kid.

Explosionface posted:

Our 2019 Pacifica is still doing pretty good overall. The difference between the Voyager and the Pacifica other than the badge is that the Voyager really just encompasses what used to be the lower 2-3 trims of the Pacifica. Depending on what features you want, that may make tracking down a Voyager a good, cheaper option.

Our few problems so far:
We've had some issues with some unexpected hard shifting on the transmission. Infrequent, but startling when it happens. When this happened early on, the dealer was able to make an adjustment that lasted for a while. Only recently came back.
The auto start/stop function we have is unavailable for the second time. Apparently this is related to the auxiliary battery, which we had replaced as warranty work before, but I need to do myself now to save a few bucks.

Is this with the Hybrid or the "normal" model?

How does it handle in the snow? The AWD option sounds amazing (I live on a hill in a Boston suburb). Is it necessary?

Finally, it looks like the Carnival is the big competitor for the Pacifica, but I don't see it mentioned here. Is the Carnival too new to trust?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Guinness posted:

Not a Latin word, doesn't pluralize as one. :colbert:

Fine, Priodes :colbert: :colbert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wait I take it back I was right all along

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

diadem posted:

I did a bit of digging and the Pacifica sounds great in theory. I can save up for a bit and buy it a bit closer to the due date of the next kid.

Is this with the Hybrid or the "normal" model?

How does it handle in the snow? The AWD option sounds amazing (I live on a hill in a Boston suburb). Is it necessary?

Finally, it looks like the Carnival is the big competitor for the Pacifica, but I don't see it mentioned here. Is the Carnival too new to trust?

just buy winter tires or M/S (snowflake) rated tires, you do not need AWD in Greater Boston

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Um, it's a neuter comparative adjective. :colbert: So it would be Priora in the plural.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
put a Tesla motor in a Prius and pop wheelies

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

diadem posted:

Our Odyssey stinks in the snow and I’m running new blizzaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Is there a reason to consider the Corolla Hybrid over the Prius? I don't quite understand the niche the Corolla Hybrid serves. Is it actually just 'wants a toyota hybrid compact but specifically doesn't want a Prius for aesthetic/cultural reasons"?