Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Proposed Budget: under $25k
New or Used: open to either
Body Style: hatch. I actually hate the way they look, but I need to haul bikes around on the regular and don't want an SUV
How will you be using the car?: 15 mile commutes, hour long drives into the mountains, occasional 600 mile / 1200 mile rt road trips.
What aspects are most important to you? Ability to fit 2 bikes into it. FWD or AWD. Standard transmission. Decent performance (say, 180-220 hp, enough to give it a bit of zip). Communicative steering. Firm but not overly stiff suspension.

I'm open to new or used, as long as it is considered a fairly safe buy used. I'd be skeptical of something like a used Speed3 just because I have images of 24 year olds running the engine to redline all the time. For new I'm seriously considering a Kia Forte5 SX, as it seems to fit all of my criteria at a very reasonable price. Any other new cars I should consider, or used cars to keep an eye out for?

I'm in the Denver area if it matters.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

regulargonzalez posted:

Proposed Budget: under $25k
New or Used: open to either
Body Style: hatch. I actually hate the way they look, but I need to haul bikes around on the regular and don't want an SUV
How will you be using the car?: 15 mile commutes, hour long drives into the mountains, occasional 600 mile / 1200 mile rt road trips.
What aspects are most important to you? Ability to fit 2 bikes into it. FWD or AWD. Standard transmission. Decent performance (say, 180-220 hp, enough to give it a bit of zip). Communicative steering. Firm but not overly stiff suspension.

I'm open to new or used, as long as it is considered a fairly safe buy used. I'd be skeptical of something like a used Speed3 just because I have images of 24 year olds running the engine to redline all the time. For new I'm seriously considering a Kia Forte5 SX, as it seems to fit all of my criteria at a very reasonable price. Any other new cars I should consider, or used cars to keep an eye out for?

I'm in the Denver area if it matters.

Thanks!

nm posted:

^^^^
Why a used speed3, when you can just get a new 3? Doesn't seem like you need the extra power. It isn't like a kia forte ia fast.

I in fact did end up going with the Mazda3 S Grand Touring. I drove it first expecting to quickly eliminate it from convention and welp. It had the least hp and almost the least torque of all the cars I tested but the spec for the price and fit, finish, and layout of the interior was loving lightyears ahead of the Focus ST, the Veloster was just too small, and the Mazda was just the most fun to drive.

Worst warranty of everything but that's a problem for the me 3 years in the future. I'll let that guy worry about it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

antiga posted:

Since it's a topic that comes up often in this thread, is there a guide to buying snow tires or hints for what to look for?

When my mom was shopping for them, I just established her price range, went to Tire Rack, put in the wheel size, and chose the ones that had the best reviews. She says they're the best snow tires she's ever used, heads and shoulders above the rest. I can ask her what brand they are but really, as long as there are a decent number of reviews for a tire there I think you can trust the ratings.