Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

My girlfriend bought a brand new base model Sonic hatchback, and even though it's not the turbocharged engine and it's an automatic, it's still a decently fun car to drive for the money. The interior is nice, and it's comfortable for long drives. During the buying process I drove a turbo manual, and that's definitely the way to go, but the base isn't bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

What's wrong with Chevy Sonics or Cruzes as far as reliable utility cars go? Either of them seems better than a Corolla.

My wife's '12 Sonic has had no problems. It's a base model, so not a lot of fancy stuff (i.e. manual windows). It's pretty basic, but I think it's nice enough to drive for what it is.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

rincewind101 posted:

edit: I haven't thought about car buying in a while - would a Ford dealership still have 2013/2014 Ford Focuses in stock somewhere?

There should be plenty of ~2014 Fords coming off lease and sitting on dealers' lots if you go looking for them.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Any opinions on the Cruze/Sonic with the 1.8 in regards to a reliable driving appliance? Relatively new ones with low miles can be had for under 10k. Opinions other places seem to be mostly favorable.

My wife has a '12 base model with 50k that she's owned since new. It's never needed anything besides oil changes and standard maintenance. The interior isn't the best, but it's perfectly fine for commuting. They don't get spectacular MPG, so if that's a main concern, you may want to look at something else.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Amara posted:

How will you be using the car?: For the most part, this will be a car for a tiny commute, maybe 5 miles each way. However, I might need to start by driving it (with my stuff) straight across the US for my move. (I'm not sure, maybe shipping the stuff and buying at the new place will work better.)

What aspects are most important to you? I want either a hybrid or an electric car. My parents have a prius and it's pretty fun to maximize the dials. That's a prius from several years ago and the acceleration is terrible so hopefully they've gotten better by now? I'd actually love to have a plug-in of some sort, like the volt or bolt or something, since my usual commute will be so short. I guess generally I want something fuel efficient and easy to maintain. And I just think electric cars are kinda cool and there's a subsidy that reduces price right now, right? If for some reason this is all very stupid and I should just get a normal gas car, tell me why and I guess I'll suck it up.

A Prius or Volt would be perfect. Find the best deal on a used one within your price range and be happy with it.

King of False Promises fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 22, 2018

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Meydey posted:

I always though Amigos were cool:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/d/2000-isuzu-amigo-v6-2wd-hard/6566747890.html

drat I kinda want to go look at that.

Amigos are awesome. I inherited one from my dad and it was great. Lots of power, poo poo gas mileage, but totally reliable. I sold it on to my brother's girlfriend and as far as I know it's still kicking at 200k+ miles.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Fair enough, thanks. While I'm on the subject, is the Sonic as good an option as I think? They're cute but peppy, I can get a relatively new one in our 4-6k price range, some even have backup camera, and USNews makes them sounds pretty safe and cheap to own... but I don't know if there's other contenders I should be looking at as well.

My wife has a base model 2012 Sonic hatchback, and it's a perfectly fine vehicle. We've not had any issues with it. It doesn't have spectacular gas mileage, but it's fun-ish to drive for what it is.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Why is the Prius such a standout thread favorite? I'm seeing 2010 Priusi in my area for $5k, and I'm tempted to ditch my 2004 Elantra. It's fine and trustworthy, but it's a little unrefined and starting to smell like wet dog inside when it rains (every day in Florida this time of year)

Incredibly low cost of ownership. If you don't have specific needs, it's probably the perfect commuting car.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

The aversion to minivans is irrational, and there's sadly not much you can do to change a person's mind on it.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

JnnyThndrs posted:

Possibly, but I’m 6’ 2” with a 30 inch inseam.

I thought I was torso-biased at 5'10" and 30 inch inseam, but dang. I have the same inseam as my 5'4" wife, so I don't have to move the seat back when I drive her car. I have to adjust the rearview mirror, though.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Blitter posted:

While we're on prius-chat has anyone driven a lexus CT 200h? I thought it was pretty much a Prius with a less utility and more uh lexusness?

Is it a viable alternative to a Prius, because it *is* a Prius??!

2011 86k $10500

I guess that's a little long in the tooth but they don't seem much different in price at similar years/mileage?

I've driven one. It drives like Prius but is a nicer place to sit. I'd personally get one over a Prius if I were looking for a hybrid.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Whatever you end up deciding to test drive, make sure you bring along the boosters and car seat to actually check fit. Technically fitting isn't the same as living with it.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Tyro posted:

The price isn't important, the point isn't to buy from them, but that it's an easy way to sit in or test drive a variety of models from different manufacturers.

It's this. You can spend all day at a CarMax sitting in cars to figure out which you like best, then go somewhere closer that has the car you would like (if it's available within 20 miles, I guess).

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Unsinkabear posted:

I've never seen this advertised anywhere, not even seeing it at Patelco. Is it just something you get if you're doing a loan through them, or will they still help you if you're buying cash? I'm in the latter category and I was considering shopping through Costco's program. But I'm a member of a few credit unions, so if it's an option from them I could try that to? Either way, I would very much like to avoid dealer bullshit while also not taking the risk of buying from a total rando.

I want to sell my 2013 Honda Accord coupe and use the resulting money to replace it with something more practical. I don't mind selling it myself. What is the best way to figure out what this thing is actually saleable for in my area (Tampa Bay)?

GTE Financial is a Tampa-based credit union that has a car shopping service.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

ethanol posted:

Reverse upper left is how new Tacoma’s have their manuals, with no lockout.

my Scirocco's lockout didn't work and reverse and first were very close together. it was a fun car to learn manual on.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

I'm having buyer's regret about the Mazda CX-30 I got last month.

What you probably should have gone for is a CX-5 considering all the stuff you have to haul around. The CX-30 is basically a Mazda2 with a different body.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

KillHour posted:

*points thumbs at self* You can rent this motherfucker for a combo meal at Arby's.

*points at pile of stuff* let's go then. I love Arby's

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

A MIRACLE posted:

How is Carvana?

I used them last year to get a '14 VW Jetta SportsWagen TDI and it was painless. Even did the gimmicky vending machine for delivery.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

I bought a 2014 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI from Carvana two years ago and it was super simple. Didn't even have the title issues a lot of people in Florida did. Sure, it wasn't the best deal, but for the amount of effort I had to outlay it was perfect.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

KillHour posted:

This would be my daily so a GT might be a bit much :v:

Edit: also my partner can't/won't drive stick and won't let me spend that kind of money on a me-only car, but the thread would murder me in my sleep for ruining a GT3 with a PDK.

PDK rules. just get one with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

I, too, have a boxy, flexible interior layout