Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Although I'm not quite ready to buy yet (need to get that down payment saved up first!), I really need to replace my ghetto-rear end, slowly dying, 230k miles and counting 2004 Chevy Malibu.

Proposed budget: $6-8k, with a $2k down payment (though if there's something needs-suiting that I could get lower than that, I'm all for saving money)

New/Used?: Definitely used

Usage: Daily driver, I have a 140 mile/day commute and while I'd like to move closer to work, I feel like a more reliable car would be the more pressing issue.

Most important aspects: Reliability, gas mileage (the Malibu gets ~30mpg, but I'm still spending ~$300/month on gas), cheap parts when things go wrong. A stock radio with bluetooth built in would be nice, but I can handle "replace it with an aftermarket head unit" so long as I'm not locked into "but then that'll lose your trip odometer/oil life info/etc" like with the Malibu.

But yeah, I'm driving 140/miles a day round trip, and work 3rd shift so it's incredibly inconvenient to have family come rescue me if I break down. I don't expect to be able to sell the Malibu for much because it's got a good chunk of issues both cosmetic and not. What should I be looking into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm glad that from my earlier post that I was recommended a Prius, as it's actually one that I'd already considered and thought would be a good idea. I've got a dumbass goon friend who keeps trying to talk me out of it, though, with the ancient and homophobic joke of "what sound does a Prius make when it drives by? 'Iiiii'm gay'" :hurr:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Well, thread, I ended up with a blue 2013 Prius Three, and I'm pretty dang happy with it so far, aside from the dealership tacking on enough fees that I almost walked. Like the $900 dock fee. Listed online at $8500, and if I hadn't been about to walk out, they were gonna try to have me all in at $11.4k after tax/title/fees. They brought it down to $10.5k, so I put down $500 and financed $10 k through my credit union for 4.15%/48 months.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What is the breakdown of taxes vs fees you paid?

Even assuming a very high tax rate of 10% that’s only $9,350.

Sorry, had to get home to my paperwork to get the actual numbers.

Web listed price: $8500
Reconditioning fee: 1123.76
Dealer service fee: $899

Georgia 7% one-time ad valorum tax: $610.91
Title fee: $18
Electronic titling: $199
License fee: $20

Total: $11370.67

Discount: ($869.67)

Basically, we knew we were gonna need to pay tax/title stuff, we just weren't expecting $2k in fees on top of the list price beyond that.