Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

make sure that once you figure out the basics of stick that you begin working the fact that you drive a Standard™ into every conversation you ever have with anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

never buy things, only make Number Go Up

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

mobby_6kl posted:

The real devil's layout is the dogleg

And by devil's I mean it's loving awesome, hail Satan

The R stands for Race Mode

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

nwin posted:

I just couldn’t get used to the gear selector buttons on the Accord auto. I’m so used to driving with my hand on the shifter it just felt weird. Plus looking down to push a button for reverse just seemed weird. I’m sure I would adjust and the accords have a lot going for them, but I loving love my used GS.

It's weird about the first two times you get in the car and go somewhere, but after that I was used to them in my sonata

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

KillHour posted:

sitting in traffic in my hyundai thinking about how my wife is probably getting rammed by a dude who drives a tesla

hey now, the dude is only liable because autopilot shut of half a second before impact

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

GR Prius when?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

JohnCompany posted:

Are mostly good now. I still have nightmares about the seven different shades of beige plastic in the center console of my most recent rental sonata. A functionally fine, utterly joyless car.

The Sonata's design seems to alternate between boring and weird every successive generation, so I'm guessing this was the last gen because the current gen definitely falls into the "weird" category (I think in a good way but also I can't unsee the catfish)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Internet Explorer posted:

Every time you talk to a BMW dealer they'll say "BMWs are for drivers" in response to not having ACC standard and it's just so precious. :allears:

It interferes with tailgating and weaving, smart move.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Car buying-adjacent question: I'm coming to the end of my car note and thinking about paying the whole thing off this month and the process seems...rickety? They apparently just want me to mail a check for the amount in the payoff quote to an address. It doesn't seem to say there's a form to fill out or even something to write on the check. Is that really how it usually goes? Any tips to make blindly mailing a $3500 check to some address in Texas less risky?

This is with Hyundai Motor Finance if that matters.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Nissan is the best thing that could have happened to Hyundai lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i was bored so here you go

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Test Driving Cars

You, dear reader, are about to drop somewhere between 5 and 50% of your post-tax income on a vehicle. Don't spend 50% of your post tax income on a car. The first step is identifying your needs - you filled out the template, right? Once you have some ideas for what might meet your needs, it's time to figure out what you actually want to buy.

Driving a car is a physical, tangible experience. You can't figure out what you want to buy by looking at pictures and spec sheets. This is not a computer. You need to go actually drive the cars to see what you can deal with. This process is called "TEST DRIVING."

"But KYOON, I don't want to waste my time on that poo poo bro I got things to do and it's boooooring" shut the gently caress up, you're going to spend a lot of money on something that you are going to live with for years. If you can't decide what you want and are incapable of spending time on this, buy a used 2nd gen Prius.

1. Identify What You Want To Drive
The list of what you want to drive should be based on your requirements and should be relatively long. Say you want to buy a new small hatch with decent fuel economy and an automatic transmission that will be reliable. (this is like 80% of posters in this thread) You should definitely look at the Hyundai Elantra, the Mazda3, the Chevy Cruze/Sonic, the Ford Focus, poo poo throw in the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla for giggles, the VW Jetta, and the Subaru Impreza. Now is not the time to exclude the Japanese cars because they bombed Pearl Harbor or the American cars because your cousin owned a 1998 J-body Cavalier which was the biggest piece of poo poo on earth. You want to exclude cars after you drive them.

2. Show Up And Drive Some poo poo
You don't need to drive the car you're going to buy. You don't even need to drive the exact trim of the car you are considering buying, although that's preferable. You should test drive new cars at a new car dealership (shocking, I know). "But KYOON, won't the guy try to sell me a car? What if he's mean to me?" Yes, the guy is going to try to sell you a car. That's his job. You are the customer and can always tell him to get hosed.

If you want to test drive used cars, I recommend CarMax, or a new car dealership with substantial used car inventory. The other rules are the same.

you will almost certainly have to travel to multiple dealerships to test drive everything you want. you can break this up over an extended period of time, that's OK

Here's how this process works. I, being a smart and informed consumer, have decided that I want to check out the Cruze LS with an automatic transmission. I mosey on down to Capitol Chevrolet and tell a sales guy "Hey, I'm interested in the Cruze. Do you have one I could test drive? I'm interested in the LS trim with an automatic." If the sales guy says anything other than "Yes sir, let me make sure we have one gassed up and I'll pull it around" feel free to leave at this point. If he wants to talk about other cars, just tell him that you are sure you know what you're interested in, and if he doesn't want to let you test drive it, he certainly won't get your business when you decide to buy.

3. The Drive
Take your time. Get everything adjusted and comfortable and test out the controls a bit - mirrors, seat adjustments, etc. DO NOT USE THE RADIO. If you know the area immediately around the dealership, pick your own route that mimics your typical driving. If you do a lot of freeway, skew your test drive towards that. At minimum, make sure you do some stop and go low-speed driving, some lovely roads or rail crossings, some freeway driving and parking lot driving to see turning circles and sight lines. Drive up some steep hills and on some curvy roads. Go somewhere that's relatively dark (under bridge?) and look at the interior illumination at night.

What are you looking for when you are actually driving? The key areas are comfort (is the seat comfortable? Can I find a comfortable driving position? Can I rest my hands where I like to on the wheel?), performance (when I merge with freeway traffic, is there enough power for me to do this safely? Does the transmission shift smoothly? Does the car steer well?), ride quality (comfortable, bumps are not passed directly through to you, doesn't bounce around or roll excessively in corners).

Don't let the salesman be overly talkative on the drive. It will distract you. You're the customer. Just tell him you're trying to feel out the car and you guys can chitchat later.

3b. Post-Drive (or pre-drive)
Play with the radio and the various controls within the car. Adjust the seat to your normal driving position and get in back behind it to see how much rear passenger space you have. If you do weird poo poo like own a harp or a folding cart or four cellos or something that you need to cart around, you can either bring it or you can come back later to check fit, but make sure you check fit relatively early in the process.

Thank the salesman for his time and tell him you're not ready to buy just yet. If he pressures you, tell him to get lost and leave. You can always leave a dealership.

4. Documentation
There are going to be cars that you hate for whatever reason. I hate Hyundai's blue lighting inside the cars, and would never buy one for that reason. That's OK. If you hate something, cross it off the list. For everything else, come up with a spreadsheet to track key attributes of cars - ride, comfort, handling, audio, interior, looks, etc. Use qualitative metrics; you can find all the quantitative metrics you need online. At some point you will narrow down to where you are indifferent between models, or you've identified a specific thing you know you want to buy. Congrats! You are now ready to buy. As a courtesy, you should probably let the guy who took you on the test drive for that model know (unless he was a dick), but you're not obligated to buy from him.

5. Pro-Level Hints
Don't fall in love with a car. It's a 1.5-ton collection of steel and plastic. They are made in a factory with thousands and thousands of other cars. This is especially true of used cars. Honda sells 25,000 Accords a month in the US. That means that there are literally hundreds of thousands of used Accords that exist from every model year. You will find another one.

Be willing to walk. If there's anything you don't like about your experience or the salesman is being unreasonable, walk. How do you know if the salesman is being unreasonable? Bring a friend to help you identify.

Do multiple test drives. You're spending a lot of money. It's OK to tell a salesman hey, thanks for letting me drive that Corolla the other day. I want to compare it against the Focus I drove this morning, can I come by and drive it again?

Don't let the salesman spec-sheet you to death. Who cares if the Focus has 12 more horsepower than the Cruze if you liked driving the Cruze better?