Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Khorne posted:

Proposed Budget: $8k-$25k

New or Used: Used, probably recent

Body Style: 4 door, midsize. I am open to going smaller or maybe even a bit larger.

How will you be using the car?: I will use it to drive places. Literally. Long, long road trips once or twice per year, short drives daily. It will often be just me in it, but I would like to be able to seat 4 people comfortably with a fifth kind of comfortably.

I plan on owning and maintaining it for a long time.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I don't care. More features is always a plus, but there's nothing I prioritize that couldn't be added in easily after buying it.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, MPG. With respect to MPG, it doesn't have to be the absolute best.

I was looking at something like a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. There's nothing too worthwhile in that department available near me, so I should likely look at other similar cars. I'm pretty lost on what to buy.

I'm looking to spend on the lower end of my budget, ideally $15k tops, while still getting something with decent gas mileage and reliability. $25k is the budget though, and if there's something new that really fits my criteria I'd be open to it.

edit: I drive a 1989 BMW 525i with 220k miles on it right now. It has a thousand problems and needs more work than it's worth to me. Especially after it was keyed twice. It's also way too tight of a fit for me. Super awkward at 6'1. Never had that problem in a more recent car, though, because I'm not fat or freakishly proportioned.

My top choice would be a Ford Fusion. Other choices would be a Nissan Altima, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, or Chevy Malibu. Hell, even a Dodge Charger would work. Don't bother with an Accord or Camry, their prices are stupidly inflated because they've got a reputation for being the most reliable, but other cars are just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

There's not much out there new for $20k that looks "mean." Pretty much the only ones are the Dodge Dart and Mitsubishi Lancer. I guess maybe the Cruze does too a little, but low-end cars and mean looks usually don't mix.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I'd take a good hard look at a Forester. Manual transmissions aren't too hard to come by, plus they've got tons more ground clearance than the Magnum which will help a lot in mud and snow. Gas mileage isn't great, but you'll definitely get better than you are with the Jimmy now. You could get an Outback instead, which would get you better gas mileage if you go for the four-cylinder engine, but they're probably a little more expensive. Both of these are very common, so parts will be easy to come by.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Used Honda Insight. Do Not Buy A Gasoline Smart Fortwo.

Seconding this. Fortwos are genuinely awful cars - you're probably better off with a bicycle.

http://www.edmunds.com/smart/fortwo/2012/

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Proposed Budget: Up to $30k
New or Used: New/CPO/Gently used
Body Style: 4 door Hatch or Wagon, Small SUV
How will you be using the car?: DD, hauling 2 dogs, camping trips. Potential road trip.
What aspects are most important to you?: Fuel economy, comfort, fun to drive.
Currently comparing: Focus HB Titanium, Elantra GT, Prius V

My lady is shopping for something to replace her 07 base model Toyota Yaris. Anything is an upgrade at this point as the Yaris is poverty spec. Her commute is around 20 miles and a large portion of this is in the city, so she is wanting an automatic with good fuel efficiency while still being fun to drive. It needs enough room to haul around two medium size dogs. The regular Prius' hatch floor was too high to have the dogs in there.

She also looked at the Impreza hatch, the Forester, the Verano and the Mazda 3 hatch but none of them were high on her list. Am I missing anything else? The Focus seems to be in the lead with the 2k incentive they are running + X-plan pricing.

The Focus is fine with a manual, but the automatic transmission the new ones have will pretty reliably blow up. Seriously: Reliable, Focus, automatic - Pick two. Take a good look at the Impreza, VW Golf or Jetta wagon, Elantra GT, or Kia Forte.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 6, 2012

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

:cawg: A diesel Equinox? Even better, an Equinox that's not located in or between parking lots? A C-class wagon? Whaddya think this is here, Yurop? Three things we can't get here in America are domestic-branded off-road SUVs (other than Jeep), diesels that aren't either German or big trucks, and wagons that aren't sold covered in gray plastic and labeled "SUV".

...Well, there are some legit station wagons, but if my count is correct, the total number of models for sale currently is four - three of which are a premium brand and cost way too much.

Speaking of wagons that are covered in gray plastic and labeled SUV, go buy an Outback. Not as much gray plastic as, say, a Volvo XC70, but more than the Legacy sedan. Tons of ground clearance, reasonably reliable, it's a station wagon, slightly ugly, reasonably priced. Oh, and AWD.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 14, 2012

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

The Jetta Sportwagen isn't a premium brand and starts at $20k. Unfortunately it's also a Jetta Sportwagen.

Right, that was the one that isn't a premium brand. And it's the only goddamn one.

...Speaking of which, the Outback is the standard Legacy wagon. Has been for a few years now. Remember that thing about wagons? Not counting the ones that are sold as crossovers or SUVs, there is currently a grand total of four of them for sale in the States: the VW Jettawagen, the Euro-spec Honda Accord Acura TSX, the MB E-class, and the soon-to-be-killed Cadillac CTS wagon. And there really aren't that many that are jacked up and covered in gray plastic like an XC70 for that matter.

Really, if they were as easy to get here as they are in Europe or Australia, there wouldn't be a need for a whole goddamn thread about them.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 14, 2012

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

The Explorer isn't available with HIDs, but you can get it with automatic high-beams, which he might like. Plus it's cheaper than a lot of options in his price range, so your dad might be able to just get two Explorers so he could have two sets of headlights, maybe that way he could see better at night. :v: If he was more respectful of a nice interior I'd just keep yelling "AUDI A7" at him whenever he's around - and being a hatchback, it's probably got room for a bike.

Oh, and the Audi MDX will check all your boxes, including the HIDs. It'll probably be more reliable too, just judging by Japanese reliability vs German reliability.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 31, 2012

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Trans Ferdinand posted:

A friend of mine is looking for a car, and I've been enlisted to help her out.

Proposed Budget: up to 16k
New or Used: 2010 or newer
Body Style: Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Commuting and daily driving
What aspects are most important to you? Manual transmission strongly preferred

So far I've been looking at the Mazda 3 and the Volkswagen Golf. She expressed a liking for the Chevy Sonic, but it's pretty new and I don't know how easy it is to find one in stick.

Any suggestions would be strongly appreciated.

If you're looking at the Mazda3, the 2012+ Ford Focus is excellent in every respect as long as it doesn't have the automatic transmission or touchscreen gadgetry - none of which appear to interest her. Good interior, fun to drive, reliable, all that jazz. Supposedly its back seat is a little small, but at least it's not a Subaru BRZ. The 2011 and older models really aren't that great in comparison to others though.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Ingenium posted:

Body Style: Any size sedan (not a SUV/Truck/Hatchback/Station Wagon)

As someone who does not understand the purpose of a sedan... why? What does a sedan do better than a wagon?

Snow, you say? The Subaru Impreza gets good gas mileage, is fun to drive and reliable, and is available as a sedan. Thoroughly within your budget. The Legacy is as well but since it's bigger it's not as good on gas and it's more of a boring drive.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

TBH I have toyed with the idea of (eventually) getting a Fusion just because it's drop-dead gorgeous, so much so that the aesthetics outweigh the uselessness of a sedan. :v: I'll probably (eventually) end up with an Outback.

Ingenium - here's a decent article comparing the latest crop of midsize sedans:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1212_2012_2013_midsize_sedan_comparison/viewall.html

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Pureone posted:

Proposed Budget: 9,000 - 14,000
New or Used: New (I understand that this limits my options)
Body Style: It doesn't matter.
How will you be using the car?: I'm moving to LA in a couple weeks and planning to buy something ASAP. I'll mostly be using it to drive to work/auditions and back. I would love to explore the state a bit as well, but I doubt I will be putting serious mileage on it.
What aspects are most important to you?: MPG and reliability. I don't have a ton of money saved and I don't know how long it will take me to find work so I won't be able to handle a car that is in constant need of repairs. This is the main reason I'm looking for a new car.

I don't know anything about cars at all. Living in Chicago for so long has eliminated the need to own any vehicle so this is all very foreign to me.

I've narrowed my selection to a couple cars, both of them are the 2012 models. It's between a Ford Fiesta and a Nissan Versa. The thing is I can barely tell the difference between them. I'm going to head out and test drive them, but before I head out I was hoping for another opinion. Also perhaps there's another car I can buy new in this category that I'm overlooking?
The Kia Rio and Chevrolet Sonic are worth taking a look at. Kia and Chevrolet have stepped their game up hard in the past few years, so their cars these days are tons better than their older ones. The Chevrolet Spark is cheaper, but it's tiny and slow.

The Ford Fiesta is probably going to be your best bet. Its automatic transmission acts a little weird at low speeds, so I'd recommend going with the manual, which will also cost less. (For that matter, I'd recommend a manual transmission in any car that offers it.)

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 20, 2013

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would not recommend a manual transmission for someone who lives in LA and doesn't give a poo poo about cars.

I will, however, recommend a gently used model. If you don't have a lot of money, you don't have a lot of money to be eating a hit on depreciation. Most OEMs have a Certified Pre-Owned program which means the car has been inspected, serviced and comes with somewhat of a warranty.

Here's Honda's CPO program, for instance: http://automobiles.honda.com/mobile/certified-used/program-benefits.aspx

If I absolutely had to buy a new car for the amount of money that you suggest, and I wasn't going to be buying a manual transmission car, I would by a Hyundai Accent or a Chevrolet Sonic.

In the interest of avoiding conflicting opinions, do what this guy says, he's smarter than I am.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

drat IT posted:

Considering getting a new car this year and could use suggestions.

Proposed Budget: $20k. Probably $25k hard limit if I found something amazing.
New or Used: Used (certified pre-owned?)
Body Style: Compact/crossover SUV
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver. Usually driving alone. 50/50 highway/city driving. Fair amount of lovely winter driving (Northeast USA).
What aspects are most important to you? Most important: AWD. Automatic. 30+ MPG highway. Reliability. Some power. Not physically huge. Low miles. Less important: Doesn't look like a mini-van or station wagon. Has cool gadgets like dual-zone climate control and a space shuttle center console screen. Decent cargo space.

My number one requirement is AWD for winter driving. This pretty much limits me to crossover SUVs, it seems. I would consider an AWD sedan if I could find one for a good price. I've mainly been looking at the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5.

For that price you could probably pick up something new. Looks to me like you're begging for a Subaru Forester. See if you can't wait a year or so and get the new one; its automatic transmission will be the same CVT that other Subarus have now, which is reputedly decent - the current four-speed is ancient. Barring that, the Impreza is cheaper, has the CVT and gets better than 30mpg highway, but less cargo space and ground clearance. Every Subaru except the BRZ has AWD, in case you were wondering.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Seraphimikey posted:

Proposed Budget: $18,000-$25,000
New or Used: New or certified used
Body Style: Sedan or Coupe.
How will you be using the car?: No towing, rarely have passengers, mainly used for just driving to work and back as I use the SUV on weekends due to kids. Commute 24 miles each way to work, mostly highway.
I want something comfortable and stylish.
What aspects are most important to you?: Style, decent to high MPG, semi-sporty but not a sports car. Must have leather. Just looking for anything that I may of skipped over in my search thus far as I haven't had any luck finding anything I like. I used to have a 2006 Civic but sold it before deployment. I loved how it drove and was realiable but it's looks never really impressed me.

The Ford Focus Titanium (top trim level) has leather seats and good driving dymanics, with MSRP for the sedan at $23,200. Try to get it with the manual transmission - the automatic is a little sketchy. Also take a look at the Mazda3 (MSRP 22,800 with leather) or the Dodge Dart (19,995 and gorgeous). The new Civic has lost the fun dynamics that previous generations had, and the current Corolla is ancient.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I'd say option 1, that's a pretty solid deal for a 2-year-old car.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

purpleandgold posted:

You live downtown in a major city? Look into Mini Coopers! They're tons of fun to drive, super fuel efficient, and can be parked almost anywhere. If your city has a dealership, check one out. They're definitely in your price range.
BTW the words "Mini" and "reliability" do not belong together in a sentence that does not also contain copious quantities of :v: and LOL. Also :suicide:.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there are not any substantive changes to the Fusion for 2014
Does a new engine not count as substantive?

Although it's basically the same as the 1.6, just a leeeeeetle bit smaller and more efficent, and possibly more reliable as they've had some time to deal with teething problems in their first group of Ecoboost engines. The 1.5 will replace the 1.6 for the Fusion with an automatic transmission; the manual will still have the 1.6.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

corded ware culture posted:

Someone recommended the Prius to me... I'm concerned about the extra electronics / battery / etc.

I don't know exactly how the TCO would compare when you factor in the initial cost of purchase, but gas mileage is... um, well, it's a Prius. :v: If you get under 40 MPG something's wrong. Toyota was also concerned about the extra electronics / battery / etc when they were designing the Prius, and as a result of their concern, your concern is unfounded and the car is basically the new benchmark for reliability.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CatchrNdRy posted:

Sanity check needed:

I'm closing in on a deal for a new base 2013 Fusion. Negotiating at about 21k OTD which seems like a pretty good offer.

My anxious mind is now telling me to save $ and buy a used 2012 basic Mazda6. There are TONS on the market with about 20k miles that I could acquire for $14-15k OTD.

I'm not being stretched financially buying the new Fusion. But I can't help but think I'm paying $7000 just because its a new car. Am I making a sound decision by buying the Fusion?

You also might wanna check out a brand-new Mazda6. All indications are that they're a hoot to drive, although they're using new and untried engines like the Fusion, so again, reliability might possibly be a concern. Plus their decently-equipped bottom trim level is cheaper than the Fusion.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 20, 2013

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

HappySpaceScience posted:

Just graduated and getting a new car.

• Proposed budget : Around $30,000. Not a big deal if it's several thousand higher.
  • New
  • Body style : 4-door, small-SUV/Crossover, or something similar
  • How I will use the car : This is the part I'm most unsure about, check below for more detail.** Short version. Commute to work. Occasional trips to tougher terrain where 4WD or AWD would be useful. Regularly transporting self, SO, and dog. No plans for towing anything at the moment. I would like a few of the additional bells and whistles and am willing to pay up to a soft limit of around $36k
  • Car knowledge : Average for a normal person, but minimal compared to just about anyone in AI. I haven't done much work on cars on my own, but I know my way around tools. To add, I will be pretty busy with work, so most of the time I'll leave maintenance up to the professionals.
  • Gas mileage target: City - low-mid 20s, Highway - 30+
  • What is important : Reliability, Maintenance costs, and to a lesser degree the look
  • Preliminary ideas : Subaru Outback or Forrester, Jeep Patriot. Also, the Subaru Crossstrek seems cool, but I'm hesitant to get a brand-new model.

**Extra info about my situation. I just graduated and moved from SE Texas to the Portland area for a job I start very soon. I've lived in Texas my entire life. Drastic change in lifestyle and climate. I went from making $20k to $80k+ and from flat, hot, and dry to hills, cold(ish), and wet. I will drive this car to work, but my current commute is only about 15 min. Also, now that I live somewhere that isn't 10-billion degrees 8 months out of the year, I plan to get more into outdoor-type activities, e.g. hiking, camping, so I would like something with 4-WD or AWD. My SO moved up here with me and she has a 4-door Civic so we'd like to get something with a little more room.

Modern Subarus give Toyota a run for their money when it comes for reliability. Jeeps don't. The Patriot isn't as bad as it used to be, but that doesn't mean it's actually good. The Crosstrek is just an Impreza on stilts, so it's not really all that new. If you're worried about new models, stay away from the Forester, but that also means you're avoiding basically the best car in its class. The Outback is also good, and it's still kind of a wagon which I think is great, but it's more expensive than the Crosstrek or the Forester (although within your price limit, except the high-end models) and it's not as good on gas so you might end up crossing it off your list.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

rockcity posted:

Ehh, the body style is largely the same with a few small tweaks and the interior is mostly the same as the 2013 when they updated it. The 2.5 is new though, I forgot about that.

If this isn't a completely redesigned car, then what is?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Well it's a good choice for people who don't care about fuel economy and want to learn to do maintenance without being stranded all the time. :unsmith:

A front-wheel-drive unibody sedan with an engine displacement under 4 liters... for someone who doesn't care about fuel economy. :cawg: I've got a drat 94 Suburban. I don't care about fuel economy, and it doesn't either. Nor does it care about the milkshake in the radiator. :toot:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm being a gigantic baby right now and can't decide between ram, cherokee or outback. All would be about the same price.

Those are so different that it's basically impossible to say which is better unless we can get a better idea of what you like from each one.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I was looking around on Craigslist and saw a couple 2009 Ford Flex's listed for under 17K, that's about half of MSRP. Seems like a drat good deal if you ask me.

edit: Here's a 2010 with 51K miles for $18000. poo poo's cheap.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 4, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

2009 was 5 years ago. 50% over 5 years is about right for a normal car of that price range. :geno:

I will admit that's basically the first time I've bothered to look at cars that aren't either new or under $4000. :v:

edit: 2009 was five years ago? God I'm old :psyduck:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

That's all well and good for premium brands like Benz and Audi but how does that work for low-end brands like Ford? Say the market for a Fusion is full of gray automatics with a black interior, but I want one in dark blue with a tan leather interior and a manual, would I be stuck paying MSRP for that or how likely would it be that I've got some room to negotiate a lower price?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Some dealer is going to have the car and they can trade. Especially for a Ford, you can still get a deal well under MSRP.
...Even if in the entire country there is one single vehicle with the particular color and options I want? Seems like something a dealer would make a lot of money from.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Emasculatrix posted:

Looking for used Priuses is discouraging. 80% of them are salvage titles. I emailed someone on CL selling a 2006 (which was 8 years ago) with over 130,000 miles asking if he'd be willing to sell at KBB/edmunds' true market value...and got a pretty rude response.
I guess that's what happens when Toyota accidentally makes the most reliable car ever. People just don't get rid of them.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I see! For some reason I thought the early Priuses (Prii?) had problems with battery lifetime.
That's what Toyota was afraid of when they were designing it. So they put a ton of effort into minimizing that problem, just trying to have it not be as miserable as they expected it, and ended up with the most reliable car around.

Most cars would be pretty tired after 200K+ miles...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9CsEEk30q4

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 9, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I personally don't much need a V8 (the most powerful vehicle I've ever driven was my uncle's 4.0 Wrangler) but a wagon is a definite must. I'd be fine with 150hp or so.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

GAY KARATE MAN posted:

Proposed Budget: $18-25k
New or Used: Used preferably, around 3-4 years old
Body Style: Light truck
What aspects are most important to you? Something in the vicinity of reasonable gas mileage for a truck. I just need something for a short daily commute to work with a truck bed. 4wd isn't absolutely necessary, but I used it enough in my old (now dead) Dakota that I'd like to have it. Other then that, all I care about is power windows and ac.

I've been nudging around something like a Tacoma but I don't know much about small trucks.

Any particular reason a wagon or crossover wouldn't work for the cargo space?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

wagons tend to be perceived as exotic
:laffo: So it's come to this. I guess they've looped back around past the unknown stage.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

NickBlasta posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, any opinions about the Honda CRZ?

There are a lot of opinions about the CRZ, just not any favorable ones. It's pretty bad at everything it's supposed to do - it's not sporty, it's not very fuel efficient, it's got no room in back even though it's a hatchback. Not to mention that it's only got 2 seats and an awkward hole in back where they didn't put in the back seat.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I've recently realized that I'm not as poor as I thought I was so I've decided to get a second car to complement my current Suburban 2500 because that's a beast as a DD. I had been aiming for a fast and comfy flying sofa for under $10K but it occurred to me that I can comfortably afford a new car so I've decided to get something more sensible for the money.

Proposed Budget: $20,000 or so (assuming a $3000 down payment and 48 month loan)
New or Used: New
Body Style: Compact hatch or wagon
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver for boring local stuff
What aspects are most important to you? Manual transmission is preferable. Cruise control is nice, especially if it works at 25mph. I'm not really worried about reliability, just so long as it's not awful it oughta be okay. Preferably no touchscreen radio. Absolutely no sunroof. I'm used to handling best described as "try not to flip it over, okay?" so sharp cornering isn't important. Plus I've gone without A/C or a usable stereo for ages, so I'm glad it's just about impossible to find a new car without both of those.

I've become dependent on the versatility of a 4x4 Suburban over the past couple years so I really can't go without one, and now that I've got one that can tow its own weight that's even better. But although I'm genuinely unconcerned with fuel economy ($125 for a tank of gas doesn't phase me in the least) I do recognize that bad fuel economy is still bad, whether I care about it or not. My current favorite is a Focus SE hatchback with the 2.0 and 201A package, but that's not set in stone yet.

As far as styling goes, I love the 2015 facelift for the Focus. If I stick with that, would the 1.0T be worth the extra money? I'd consider the Mazda3 if I was looking for a sedan but that body style is a waste of metal if you ask me, and the hatchback seems really out of proportion with the huge front overhang, plus they get expensive quick with options. I like the Impreza too but I don't need AWD since snow doesn't exist in Georgia, and the Suburban works great off road anyway, so is there an advantage over the focus other than AWD that I'm missing? I drove a Jetta with the new 1.8T once and I liked it a lot so I might get a Golf with that engine, but it is a VW and AI has taught me to give them the stink eye when it comes to reliability. I'd prefer a wagon over a hatch but they don't really exist in America, so I'm guessing it's not worth the wait to get the Golfwagen when it comes out, plus the whole issue of a brand-new design without time to work out early issues. There's also the Forte5 and Elantra GT but IMO the Koreans still aren't quite up to snuff yet, there's a whole slew of subcompact hatches but I'd prefer not to have something that small, and the Prius is too expensive.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 2, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I do like it but it's still a sedan and I like having a better idea of what's going on in the back of the car when I"m parking. I'll see if I can't give one a test drive. It looks like I could get a poverty-spec one with a 5-speed right around $20,000 OTD so the price is about right. EDIT: It hadn't occurred to me that I could get a 2-door Golf. TrueCar says I could get one for under $19k. I figure if I was going to get a sedan it'd very likely be a Mazda6 or Fusion. It does look well-equipped for the money but reviews are saying the ride and driving position aren't particularly comfortable. I'm about done with rough-riding cars after the '94 Suburban I used to have, and the '01 is surprisingly smooth until I try to take a big speed bump without braking, in which case that 3/4-ton suspension reminds me how dumb that was.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Cruise control at 25mph sounds hazardous
It's mostly because I work on a military base and the MPs will nail your rear end to the wall for anything over the speed limit, or so I've heard. I try not to find out for sure the hard way, it's just a little extra peace of mind when I'm taking a lot of extra care to drive absolutely perfectly.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 2, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Goddamnit. Look at this piece of poo poo. I'm seriously having one of those Gollum fighting-with-myself moments.

Focus! Caprice! But I want a new car! gently caress that, look at the wagon, it's brand new too! What about fuel economy? Well who gives a poo poo about fuel economy when you're throwing away $400 a month just to pay for it? Okay but what about maintenance on an old car? Maintenance is fine, it's a Chevy small block! But don't I remember the last Chevy small block I had trying to blo:suicide:

:negative:

edit: This doesn't help at all. Focus, you dumb gently caress. Get the Focus.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 4, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

You're really not helping. :v: I just got distracted there, still aiming for the Focus. Fuel economy is no object, and besides, I'd be paying more per month for a new car than I currently do for gas. My commute is only like a mile for now since I live in military housing on an Army post and I work just down the road, but in the next year or so I'll move off post so that'll get considerably longer. One main reason I want a Focus is because it's easier to park, which that Caprice won't really be, and front wheel drive so it's easier to tow if the Chair Force sends me to another desk up the road. I'm also looking for a few modern niceties like an aux jack, but not too much since I don't want a touchscreen. As far as rarity goes, at the moment the brand-new Aston Martin Focus is not common at all, and looks a drat sight better than the last one (up to MY14) which wasn't bad to begin with.

As far as money goes, paying with cash doesn't help build credit like a sizeable but affordable loan will, and which I need to do anyway. Part of me feels like it's a charity case - I should let the Caprice go to someone who's less fortunate than I am and isn't able to afford a new car.

Probably what I'm gonna do is just go to a Ford dealership and try a test drive or two since they have the best choices in cars around my price range that appeal to me. I also might want a low-level Fusion, or a 1.0 EcoBoost Fiesta, both of which tick boxes in the comfort and interior categories, or even a FiST. I know that if I'm opening up to subcompact and midsize cars that expands my options a lot, but I'm the type that sees a huge menu at a restaurant that's got too much variety and I want to tell the waiter "just go away for a little bit and bring food when you come back." So sticking with a single brand in that case feels like it reduces my options to something I'm more comfortable with, and in this case it's a brand that allows me to avoid their bad options (DCT, MFT) while I'm at it.

My long-term goal is to own a car for every conceivable purpose - currently I feel most lacking in the categories of "easy to park," "cornering does not risk flipping the car," "is not huge" and "three-pedal idiot deterrent." (The Suburban does give me an excuse to say I have a WRX STI - a bit over 300 hp, AWD, kinda stiff ride, diff locks :v:) Eventually, of course, I'll need room for morer carses, like a V8 flying sofa (Challenger or 300... or an LT1 Caprice...) or an invisible car that does not exist, in which to do stupid poo poo without getting noticed (greige 90's Lumina) but that's way down the road when I've got room for them all.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So I may be on the verge of getting that Focus for a decent deal. I just talked to a dealer and he couldn't immediately find one that appealed to me - and although I mentioned possibly being interested in a Fusion, he didn't try to upsell me to get a quick sale. I'd looked at a couple printoffs of a pair of '14s, but they had a sunroof and I'm not a fan of those. He just called me and mentioned one like I wanted - a 2015, manual hatchback, no sunroof, with the 201A package - for $21,780 MSRP and an asking price a little over $18,000. I might just have to bite on that.

edit: just texted me that the 18,000 wasn't the car he thought it was, called it 19,800 on the right one. TrueCar says 19,500 is about right so I'm gonna see if I can't make that OTD.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

IRQ posted:

Pure curiosity, why do you hate sunroofs? You can slide the inner cover closed and it's exactly the same as not having one, to me. I never use mine but I don't really notice that it exists either.
In terms of a new car, just an extra feature that I'll never use and is a waste of money. In terms of actual owning a car, it'll deteriorate over time and leak, takes away some head room, and adds complexity to the wiring and structure, for something that, again, I'll never use. I don't like wind and I don't like the sun, is about it.

The best I could do is an offer of $19,799 on a 2015 Focus SE hatchback with the 201A package and no other options, before documents ($369) and taxes ($816), and they had to get it from another dealer so the car won't be there til Monday or Tuesday. The salesfuck said that since the car was hard to find, I coulda done better if it was an automatic, or a 2014 model with a sunroof (he showed me a couple printoffs of these, but I want metal over me) , so for $20,984 all said and done on an invoice of $20,649 and MSRP of 21,780, am I right in thinking that's not too shabby? Plus it's a brand new updated model year so that adds some value.

fake edit: They let me drive a 2014 Focus SE 200A with a manual (white, yuck) and having never driven a manual other than a 4.0 Jeep Wrangler... sooo loving easy. The relative lack of torque versus the smoother clutch made it about the same as far as bogging down without hitting the gas. I just took it around the block real quick, and traffic was pretty heavy so I just tapped 4th once or twice and never got to 5th so I don't know what highway power will be like.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 21, 2015