Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

CatchrNdRy posted:

2) Does the mid-level have those leatherette seats?
The iGT and s Touring come with leatherette, but last time I checked the only models that are out there are iTouring and sGT which should be cloth and leather respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

ThrowawayAccount posted:

They own a body shop, so they know quite a bit about cars, so I feel like this has a higher chance of being a car that won't break down three weeks after I buy it. But they didn't mention the year, or how many miles it's had overall, and asked for an offer without me even seeing the car, which makes me feel weird. Should I feel weird about that? I'm not sure why the fact they bought it new is important - is that supposed to mean it's never been in an accident? Then why not just say that?

Should I politely pass or ask for more information? Any idea how much this would be worth? It seems like there's not enough information to say, but perhaps someone could give me an upper bound on price?

And any idea how much the new engine, etc., they mentioned would have cost them?

If they bought it new, it also means they were the only owner, which means they should know everything about the car's past and present condition as well as how it was used. Things you might want to know: Year, trim, auto/manual (with respective maintenance history), total miles (not just on current engine), and if it's a salvage vehicle all come to mind. From their description it could be worth just about anything

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Umbreon posted:

Unfortunately, my options are limited. My own cheap car got totaled, and currently I'm borrowing a car to get to work, but I'm in need of a car ASAP. I don't have the months required to save up to get a new one, and from what I understand, monthly payments on a used car would be pretty high.

I absolutely do not want to get a <3,000 car if at all possible, I definitely learned my lesson with the old one that I wound up paying for twice over from taking it to the shop so much.

What I assume he meant was you need to think about more than $/mo payments--think total cost as well. The salesman will try to do everything he can to just barely get inside of your $/mo limit while making you pay more in the long term by extending the duration of your loan.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Need some math help....

If you get .9% interest on a 72 month loan, a $300/mo payment should be around $21019.50 initial principal, compounded monthly.

Also the interest is probably compounded monthly

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Can you really get a Focus ST for $15-$20k? Not sure I would want to sit in one for 8 hours a day either.

A G8 GT is getting down there in terms of prices. A V8 Charger/300 is also worth a look, not as sporty but probably cheaper. Hyundai Genesis, Taurus SHO maybe if you can find one cheap enough.

Maybe, some people in the hot hatch thread have been getting pretty huge chunks off of the ST2/ST3s, so if you find a dealer who really wants to get rid of a 2013 ST, you might be able to get one near the top of your budget

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

babydonthurtme posted:

We're moving from CA to Seattle in a couple weeks. We don't currently have a car, and we need one to drive up there. Currently waffling on whether to just rent one for the drive, or if we have enough time to test drive and grab a car here before the move. I've basically been looking at a Honda Fit / Civic hatchback, but want to know if I should be looking at anything else that's similar.

Proposed Budget: $20-25k
New or Used: New
Body Style: 4 door automatic compact hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Short commute, grocery hauling, basically not much.
What aspects are most important to you? comfort (no bucket seats!), reliability, cargo space and TCO. Really want a nice driving appliance that'll last us the next couple decades, and has a way to plug in our smartphones.

Also, I saw someone a couple pages back say that consumer's checkbook is a good way to offload the negotiation bs to someone else, has anyone used them? We are already stressed from the move, we'd 100% rather have someone do the legwork for a couple hundred bucks if they're legit.

Are you moving to seattle proper or something like kirkland/redmond/bellevue? If you're moving to actual seattle, it might not be worth buying a car since driving in seattle sucks and unlike the east side, getting around by bus is actually fairly reasonable. That and you generally pay for parking in seattle in addition all the other costs of owning a car like insurance and tabs

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I like them but they've never really saved me from anything. They just save me the trouble of checking the blindspots when it's lit up or beeps on signaling which is admittedly nice. Rear cross traffic is infinitely more valuable to me as in most of those cases, I can't actually see what's coming

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

slothrop posted:

not sure if this is the best thread for it - let me know if there is somewhere more appropriate.

Are there any major flaws/dealbreakers to be aware of with BM series Mazda 3's?

Some chump smashed into the better half's car while it was parked out the front of our house, now she has to replace it, and fast.

She's looking at this in particular, which is a little out of her budget. It seems well cared for, I like that it has decent tyres and not cheap Chinese knock-offs and I've read that the ceramic coatings are magic.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-mazda-3-sp25-astina-bm-series-auto/SSE-AD-6445089/?Cr=4

I have a 2014 iTouring (leather steering wheel, cloth seats, 2L) and not what appears to the equivalent of a 2016 i grand touring or 2.5L model.
Here's what I haven't liked about the car so far, including things that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual quality:
1. The AC condenser broke last year. Sucks but probably not relevant to this discussion
2. The USB plugs and 12v socket are under the armrest. The USB plug on mine doesn't provide very good or any charging power, and the 12v plug is high enough that after including a car charger, your usb cable has to make a very tight bend to make it out of the little slot they have for cable passthrough. This may have killed my last phone, but it's impossible to tell if it was the cable getting shorted due to stress, the phone being crap, or the charger being crap. I hate the design and wish it was where the CD player is even if it didn't actually kill my phone. The center storage is also just barely too small to fit a small kleenex box without crushing it a little
3. Mazda doesn't have the greatest sound deadening for road noise. I believe this is brand-wide, and not specific to the 3 or that model year.
4. Mazda has stiffer suspensions than a lot of other brands. This is nice for corners or whatever, but speedbumps are just that much worse.
5. Some rear end in a top hat backed into the front of my care and poked a hole in my bumper. Again not all that relevant but whatever.
6. I rarely put the temperature dial more than ~2 clicks from the middle setting, since beyond that it's usually way too hot or cold outside of getting the initial temperature up/down. It feels like a youtube volume control where the first 10% of it does 90% of the volume.

And a side note, supposedly mazdas don't have the greatest resistance to rust, but if you're linking .au sites, I'm guessing that's not a huge problem

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Get snow tires :)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I don't even think WA even requires snow tires--AWD + all-seasons good to go, FWD/RWD with snow tires to the chain gang. I don't go skiing, so it basically doesn't matter to me, but I hear that complaint a lot from people who do

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

....I'm pretty sure most normal people slam the brakes when they start sliding, not the gas. This is all a dumb argument though, and there are non-mechanical reasons to want AWD as was detailed not too long ago. Regardless of what is actually safer, states treat AWD as safer in snow than FWD, even when the latter has proper snow tires and the former does not. Just let him buy his awd car. Like I'm not sure why you're not just recommending a prius at this point

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

KillHour posted:

He doesn't want a Prius because he wants a sedan or a coupe. But he only wants to spend 25k. And he wants AWD, which only comes on luxury or performance sedans and basically never on coupes. And just LOL at the idea of finding a manual that fits all of that. OP is asking for a unicorn, which is why they need to bend on something.

Yes well you clearly don't care about him wanting awd because you think it's not practical, and manuals aren't terribly practical in tyool 2020 so why go for a manual too? He even said he'd give up manual to get AWD, but you're here instead telling him to give up AWD instead. It's one thing to suggest compromises when you can't fit his criteria, but it's clear Kotex's requirement for AWD is set and not up to him/her anyways, so why are you attacking them?

Like I said, there are plenty of practical reasons for AWD that aren't about traction or whatever. WA/CA both require you to chain up in certain areas if you're 2WD even with snow tires, but not if you have AWD even with just all-seasons. It doesn't make sense maybe, but that's the law. Maybe poster is a skiier and doesn't want to have to chain up unless it's actually necessary.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Also I guess this is a new car, but the 2020 camry has an AWD option. It's not manual, and it's a toyota camry for all the good and bad that brings with it. LE with awd comes in just around 26k msrp. There isn't going to be a lot of frills at the base trim, and it's not going to be a fun driving car, but it hits your AWD requirement and theoretically reliability/maintenance since it's a toyota.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe a circa 2016 genesis? I'm not actually sure how good those are, but they're available around 20k with some having AWD. I'm not sure when hyundai went from being considered garbage to being good.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the crosstrek is a slightly lifted impreza hatch. its main advantage other than marketing is ground clearance and AWD, and you pay a price in other areas (fuel economy, performance, comfort, interior quality). if you really want ground clearance and AWD, go for it! otherwise, there are better choices.

Isn't the impreza, if not all subarus, already AWD? So it's just lifted and marketed as a crossover because that's what people are shopping for

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Ah yeah, I probably read that wrong.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Or the other fun thing about older bluetooth systems--is sound delayed by like 3 seconds?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

well that's unfortunate to hear

dumb question though: what's a CVT?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

You also have to be careful with state taxing, especially if you don't drive a lot. A regular prius / prius prime where I am gets an extra 75 added to their annual renewals, while the clarity gets 225 since it crosses the magical 30 mile mark. The prime/clarity would also have higher MVET since their msrps are higher. This is an even bigger deal if you don't drive a lot. I ran the numbers myself for a full EV vs a regular gas car at 7k miles/yr, and it ended up basically the same over 10 years, even using consumer report's average discounted maintenance costs / yr for gas cars which has been higher than every car that my family has ever owned

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Inner Light posted:

God drat I have to believe this photo was taken after some electrical tape was removed, no? Why would you even bother skipping electrical tape there...

Adding electrical tape doesn't make it any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Methanar posted:

I think I want a hybrid electric car. I've never bought a car myself before.

What should I get? Is buying used good/okay/worth it? How much off should I expect used vs new if I do get new per year.
Do I actually want a hybrid car? I've never had electric before.

Congratulations on your new prius