Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

Ooh so many replies already thanks everyone

That looks really nice and I would feel cool driving it, but I do worry about reliability and costs in case something does go wrong.

My work in new york is going remote indefinitely so all of the parking will be at home where I'll work. If I do get a new job during the lifespan of this vehicle, I would probably commute by train. I think we will end up in West Medford, East Arlington, West Cambridge, somewhere like that - not exactly snowy exurban wilderness, but suburban enough where the snow will have a chance to accumulate on the streets. As for a garage, we might end up with one but I'm not going to plan for it. I don't really like those new developments that include them, I think we'll end up in an older building with those little skinny driveways.

I'm already frustrated with the storage in my sedan (2016 corolla), and that's just with the two of us. The idea of loading up a stroller and diaper bag and a car seat and all that poo poo in a car... yikes. Plus, if you can't tell I am very paranoid about driving and feel like the higher seat and bulk of an SUV is better for my wants (even if it's a somewhat of a placebo).

I've never had winter tires but I'll put that at the top of the list and factor a nice set into total cost, thanks for the reminder.

I see a ton of these around, especially the CRV - I will check them out. For some reason I like the idea of a minivan too, I just think they're cool!

The problem I have with modern minivans is that they are massive vehicles. A Chrysler Pacifica is as long and wide as a Chevy Tahoe, which would make me antsy to park in suburban Florida, let alone the Boston metro area. They are excellent at the job they are optimized for: carrying 6+ people and their gear. But it might be too much car for you if you don't fall into that use case.

No one here has mentioned a 2017 to present CX-5 so I will do so now. The CX-5 is just as reliable as a Honda or Toyota, and you will get a nicer CX-5 for the same price because Mazda's reputation among the public isn't as strong as Honda or Toyota's. The CX-5 is also nicer on the inside and nicer to drive than either the Honda or Toyota. The one drawback is that the packaging isn't as efficient as the Honda or Toyota so take your kid stuff with you to make sure everything fits as you'd like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Godzilla07 posted:

The problem I have with modern minivans is that they are massive vehicles. A Chrysler Pacifica is as long and wide as a Chevy Tahoe, which would make me antsy to park in suburban Florida, let alone the Boston metro area. They are excellent at the job they are optimized for: carrying 6+ people and their gear. But it might be too much car for you if you don't fall into that use case.

They're also shockingly expensive new and beat to poo poo used (I'd assume).

They great for trips to the hardware store!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
man what are you even keeping in your car how do you people live

SUVs drive and handle worse than non-SUVs so there is a possible less safe, probably. (It's marginal for CUVs but the only thing that really makes them safer is some mass, and modern sedans are heavy too)

I'll throw in VW GSW/Alltrack and the Subaru Legacy since those are very Cambridge cars.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Subaru Forester ticks your boxes well. AWD, best in class visibility and a good safety suite. New is at the fringe of your price but close enough.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Maksimus54 posted:

Subaru Forester ticks your boxes well. AWD, best in class visibility and a good safety suite. New is at the fringe of your price but close enough.

dull, kind of poo poo, will be roughly 30% of the parking lot local whole foods parking lot so impossible to find

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'll throw in VW GSW/Alltrack

4motion is a treat and downright enjoyable in the snow. Just make sure the Sportswagen has it, only the most basic trim level offered it for a couple of years.

Dendrite
Jun 17, 2005
Surprisingly uninteresting.
I've got some real anxiety about walking into a dealership and getting suckered, but after a bit of time (by choice) without a car I can see my world starting to shrink a bit, and need to have additional mobility options.

Proposed Budget: Up to $30K USD cash
New or Used: New or recent used
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) Not a truck / SUV. Sedan or smaller, I think.
How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle?
I'm replacing a 2003 Jetta that I drove with decreasing frequency over the years before donating it. My commute is likely to remain via train (parking and traffic in center city is a non-starter) whenever commuting into an office is actually, like, a thing again. I'll use it for errands out of walking distance, weekend trips and some longer drives (PA to ME, PA to TX) to visit family. No kids, no dog, no towing anything.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): GPS would be nice but I can reasonably just do that off my phone in a pinch.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style): Reliability, safety, something more presentable than my old car for client site visits, and something that I won't worry about driving long distances. I've been leaning towards a Civic since I have fond memories of one from back in 96 or so. Until I gave it up, I did appreciate the Jetta's responsiveness in avoiding other PA/NJ idiots on the road.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Civic is good. Buy a Civic if you want one. They are loving ugly, though.

I'll treat you to the usual: if you want the most reliable car ever made, Prius. If you want something stylish and reasonably good to drive, Mazda3/CX-30. If you want something good to drive that's bigger, Honda Accord.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dendrite posted:

I've got some real anxiety about walking into a dealership and getting suckered,

You have a CarMax near you? It would be a lower pressure situation without haggling. I'd recommended checking them out. I'd say walk in one and talk to them, but I forgot about *everything* for a second.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If it's literally "I want a car and don't care about getting $500 off" then yeah, CarMax, Carvana or maybe even Costco's Auto Concierge program (which can be hit or miss depending on the dealer).

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

If it's literally "I want a car and don't care about getting $500 off" then yeah, CarMax, Carvana or maybe even Costco's Auto Concierge program (which can be hit or miss depending on the dealer).

If you are a Costco member, and really even if you aren't, you can go to most dealerships and ask what the Costco price on a car is. Keep in mind, in a lot of cases they will sell you a car for less than the Costco price but it is a good starting point to atleast know you're not getting totally suckered. CarMax and carvana are the same way for used cars, not the best price you're going to get but you probably aren't getting hosed.

If you hate negotiating but still have to go the dealership route remember you can leave anytime. I recommend finding the car you want getting an out the door estimate in writing, and then tell them you need the night to think it over.

They will do everything they can to not let you leave at many places but unless you signed on a sale agreement you can leave. Then take some time to make sure you are happy with the car and the price and you can afford the payments if you're financing.

Also, check every dealer website within driving range with the same or similar cars and email them saying x dealership offered me this price can you beat it? By noon the next day you'll either have a better price or know you're getting a decent price from the first dealer.

If someone else beats the price I would call the salesperson I was working with and ask if they can match or beat the price and give them the sale since they spent the time with me but that's a personal call. Remember you can get your car serviced at any dealership so don't worry about where the dealership you are buying is.

(This is mostly new car buying advice)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I need to replace a 2012 honda civic si i owned for 5 years after it got totaled after someone drove into it while it was parked outside my house. It was a completely problem free car outside of routine maintenance and the smartest thing to do would probably be replace it with a newer model but after 5 years I kinda feel like a change if I need to get a replacement. Want something no bigger than that and smaller would be totally fine . Two cars I've looked into along those lines are Abarths and the Mini Cooper S though i've heard mixed reviews on both as far as reliability is concerned. Apparently the current 3rd gen Minis are improved in that area? Any advice on those or suggestions I've overlooked would be appreciated.

Proposed Budget: 15k-18k, but i could go up a bit if necessary
New or Used:used obv
Body Style: prefer coupe or a hatch, though a sedan is fine if it's small enough
What aspects are most important to you? want a fun small reasonably fuel efficient non rwd car that's not going to be a reliability nightmare. replacing a 2012 civic si

Thauros fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 7, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Congrats you’ve picked the two least reliable cars in segment.

Used FiST and FoST are cheap and fun. Used GTI is more expensive and nicer.

Why not RWD? Everything else in your post screams Toyobaru.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why not RWD? Everything else in your post screams Toyobaru.

that's prob what i'd buy if i didn't live in pittsburgh and have to drive during the winter

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Snow tires and I’m guessing you’d be fine, and also RWD with snow tires is extremely fun in the winter. For years my only cars was a Miata in Nebraska/South Dakota winters and it was great and I never had issues, even in 8 inch snow storms where I was plowing the street a little with the air dam.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thauros posted:

that's prob what i'd buy if i didn't live in pittsburgh and have to drive during the winter

toyobaru and separate snow tires and summer tires, you will love it. you can put the snows on the lovely lookin stock rims and get different wheels for your summer tires.

Guy Freeman
Aug 31, 2006

Guy Freeman posted:

Proposed Budget: Preferably under 10k, hard cap of 12k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Sedan or Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Mostly commuting and errands. Expecting to put on under 10k miles per year.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, Fuel Economy.

I went to check out and test drive a few models of Prius last week, and as much as I liked it in theory, I couldn't stand how it felt to drive it. So I've been looking into other vehicles, using Consumer Reports to find models with high reliability scores to focus in on. Is there any goonsensus on '14 to '16 era Toyota Corollas or Honda Civics? They both have high reliability ratings but middling owner satisfaction.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Proposed Budget: 10 grand, I guess?
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: Sedan, flexible about the size.
How will you be using the car?: Normal everyday poo poo.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability first, cost second. Hybrid might be cool, but IDGAF the rest.

So, my car is on its last legs. It needs two repairs, both of which will exceed the value of the car. It will not pass inspection without the fixes. I don't wish to put any more money into this one, and would rather put those bux into the next car. So I have 6 months to try and wrangle up a car. I don't want to buy from the repair shop that has been fixing my car because they started cold-calling me when II was at work when I brought it in for repairs to try and sell me a new car, which is a behavior that I don't feel I have to tolerate.

Here's issue one; All my previous cars were bought from individuals rather than dealerships, hooked up through friends and family. I am a meek, craven, feckless coward and do not want to deal with the squeeze play of going to a dealership to buy a car. I was part of the process once as an observer and that was enough. My initial thought is to wait until Carmax has a car I might like, and buy it from them to avoid the baloney. I am not especially worried about getting the most value or spending the least money, within some level. I will pay some money to save the time and heartache bartering, but I don't want to go in entirely unarmed on the information front.

What's the gooncensus on Carmax? What premium am I paying for the lower pressure experience? Or is that all marketing and it's just as bad? (FWIW, In my previous helping of someone else buying a car, my experience at that Carmax was fairly chill (we looked but did not ultimately buy), which is part of why I am thinking of them.)

Issue two is this: I won't have a place to bring this car, as I have no relationships with any other repair joints. The only one I had is now far away and also closed forever. Bringing it back to the dealership I buy it from to do the repairs seems like a 'moral hazard' so I guess I need to find somewhere new. Is finding a good place as simple as Google Reviews / Yelp?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Guy Freeman posted:

I went to check out and test drive a few models of Prius last week, and as much as I liked it in theory, I couldn't stand how it felt to drive it. So I've been looking into other vehicles, using Consumer Reports to find models with high reliability scores to focus in on. Is there any goonsensus on '14 to '16 era Toyota Corollas or Honda Civics? They both have high reliability ratings but middling owner satisfaction.

If you want good reliability, mpg, and good owner satisfaction check out a Mazda 3 hatch.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Flexible about the size is weird. Do you want a small car or a big car? It's very hard to make recommendations for A Sedan. What are you driving today, and what do you like and dislike about it?

Magnetic North posted:

What's the gooncensus on Carmax? What premium am I paying for the lower pressure experience? Or is that all marketing and it's just as bad? (FWIW, In my previous helping of someone else buying a car, my experience at that Carmax was fairly chill (we looked but did not ultimately buy), which is part of why I am thinking of them.)

Carmax premium is about 5-10% in my estimation. Their sales model is good if you are scared of buying a car.

Magnetic North posted:

Issue two is this: I won't have a place to bring this car, as I have no relationships with any other repair joints. The only one I had is now far away and also closed forever. Bringing it back to the dealership I buy it from to do the repairs seems like a 'moral hazard' so I guess I need to find somewhere new. Is finding a good place as simple as Google Reviews / Yelp?

Google Reviews and Yelp are fine. I don't get your comment about "moral hazard" - do you think that the dealer is gonna sell you a lovely car to try to make money on repairs? That doesn't make sense.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Carmax premium is about 5-10% in my estimation. Their sales model is good if you are scared of buying a car.

That seems reasonable to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Flexible about the size is weird. Do you want a small car or a big car? It's very hard to make recommendations for A Sedan. What are you driving today, and what do you like and dislike about it?

I'm driving a 2002 Jetta. I don't really like or dislike much about it that is likely not specific to this car (no AC, no CC, slightly goopy steering, weird pop when the gears shift when decelerating/breaking). I don't drive for pleasure and I don't care too much what it looks like as long as it's not a complete eyesore.

At the same point, my favorite cars I have owned were each a 92 Camry. I would still be driving a 92 Camry if not for the recall. It's practical, fuel efficient, a fairly nice size for the backseat and trunk. Are modern Camrys still good?

Thinking about the way I will use this car once *gestures at everything* ends, I guess I'll need a 4 seater because I will commonly have 2 passengers. I guess 4 door would be best. My old Regal had the 2 door thing and that gets old.

Beyond that, compact, midsize and all that doesn't mean anything to me. Looking it up now, it sounds like it's an EPA thing? Some of these websites sound like their trying to sell me on compacts, but I guess it's not the days of the Yugo anymore. I'll probably have to sit in something to try it. It's not tall nor am I regularly hauling stuff like kids or athletic equipment so maybe I could get away with a compact car. Are they actually cheaper? Or is fuel efficiency the main benefit? I don't care about the physical size, as I'm not going to aggressively fight for a close spot anywhere.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Carmax is great. I've had nothing but good experiences with them, and family has reported the same. They are not at all pushy, genuinely no haggling allowed, they have a legitimate return policy, and I think they'll even ship cars from other locations that you find online (presumably for a fee).

I assume Carvana is more of the same, but I have no personal experience.

As long as you're aware that you're not getting the theoretical best negotiated price, it's a pretty low stress experience.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

incogneato posted:

I think they'll even ship cars from other locations that you find online (presumably for a fee).

I only looked for a car with them and this was my one annoyance. The fee depends on the distance (makes sense). They will do it for free if the other place is local (eg, I could get a car from Chicago to Bloomington (150 miles) for free). But, the fee is nonrefundable (makes sense, but kinda hard to eat $800 if you end up not liking the car after a test drive) and they weren't able to give me an estimate better than "2-3 weeks".

Sucks that I was looking for an uncommon car (they had about 5 in the country) and I needed one soonish as I was in a rental. Ended up jumping on a semi-local one that popped up at a dealer, instead.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

incogneato posted:

Carmax is great. I've had nothing but good experiences with them, and family has reported the same. They are not at all pushy, genuinely no haggling allowed, they have a legitimate return policy, and I think they'll even ship cars from other locations that you find online (presumably for a fee).

Correct all around. I had them ship in my GMC Canyon. Even accounting for some haggle room at listed prices on other dealerships, I couldn't find a single other example of a diesel Colorado / Canyon anywhere with less than 100k miles on it, that was priced anywhere near where they had my Canyon priced at just 13k miles.

They must have given the PO loving peanuts on trade, but I couldn't be happier with the deal. The only things that sucked about it were the long and no-update-available shipping time (both of which they were very up front about, still annoying) and the fact that buying the truck still took two+ hours. Just that much paperwork and bullshit to get through. They blamed at least some of this on Arizona's "paper based" system, and given that our MVD used COVID to help justify a three day shutdown to move to "new systems" I'm inclined to believe it.

I'd definitely go with them again if I found another deal like that, and that's the first time I've ever said that about a dealership I've bought from.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

incogneato posted:

I think they'll even ship cars from other locations that you find online (presumably for a fee).

For what its worth, when you look at Carmax's inventory on the website, they'll tell you how much it is to transfer the car in. If you live in a city with multiple Carmax...en, it's free (at least it is for my smaller city; major metros might be different). Looks like things start at about $100 (for example, Memphis to St. Louis); it costs all of $250 to get a car here from LA. Even on a budget of $10,000, shipping a car from nearby isn't prohibitive.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Boxman posted:

Looks like things start at about $100 (for example, Memphis to St. Louis); it costs all of $250 to get a car here from LA.

This confused me. A car from CA to IL was like $350, but Boston to IL was $800. I could have flown there and picked it up myself for that.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
It was about a year ago when I started lurking this thread because my old car was literally falling to pieces, and November when I finally had to pull the trigger and get something.

To everyone who has ever suggested a Mazda3 in this thread, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. It is a wonderful car in every way that I need it to be, and I have the most basic 2015 model. I hope Mazda makes these forever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skaboomizzy posted:

To everyone who has ever suggested a Mazda3 in this thread, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. It is a wonderful car in every way that I need it to be, and I have the most basic 2015 model. I hope Mazda makes these forever.

That's awesome. It really is the #2 recommendation. If a Prius is too boring it means you actually care about driving dynamics, and that's fine. Buy a Mazda3.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

That seems reasonable to me.

I'm driving a 2002 Jetta. I don't really like or dislike much about it that is likely not specific to this car (no AC, no CC, slightly goopy steering, weird pop when the gears shift when decelerating/breaking). I don't drive for pleasure and I don't care too much what it looks like as long as it's not a complete eyesore.

At the same point, my favorite cars I have owned were each a 92 Camry. I would still be driving a 92 Camry if not for the recall. It's practical, fuel efficient, a fairly nice size for the backseat and trunk. Are modern Camrys still good?

Thinking about the way I will use this car once *gestures at everything* ends, I guess I'll need a 4 seater because I will commonly have 2 passengers. I guess 4 door would be best. My old Regal had the 2 door thing and that gets old.

Beyond that, compact, midsize and all that doesn't mean anything to me. Looking it up now, it sounds like it's an EPA thing? Some of these websites sound like their trying to sell me on compacts, but I guess it's not the days of the Yugo anymore. I'll probably have to sit in something to try it. It's not tall nor am I regularly hauling stuff like kids or athletic equipment so maybe I could get away with a compact car. Are they actually cheaper? Or is fuel efficiency the main benefit? I don't care about the physical size, as I'm not going to aggressively fight for a close spot anywhere.

The EPA's definition of car sizes, which is based off of interior volume, should be irrelevant to you, a normal person. For example, the Bentley Continental, a big 2-door luxury car with a V12 that weighs more than a Ford F-150, is defined as a subcompact car by the EPA. Meanwhile a Honda Civic, a compact car by any normal person's definition, is considered a large car by the EPA. A compact car in the U.S. is a car like a Honda Civic, or a Toyota Corolla. A midsized car in the U.S. is a car as big as a Toyota Camry, or a Honda Accord. A compact car is usually cheaper, better handling, and more fuel-efficient than a midsized car. A midsized car can offer more space, more luxury, and a better ride instead.

You sound like a great candidate for the nicest Toyota Prius you can afford. The Prius will allow you to not think about cars for a long time, so you can focus onto things you care about. If the way the Prius drives is too weird for you, a Civic, Corolla, or a Mazda 3 would be a good choice.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
not sure if this is the best thread for it - let me know if there is somewhere more appropriate.

Are there any major flaws/dealbreakers to be aware of with BM series Mazda 3's?

Some chump smashed into the better half's car while it was parked out the front of our house, now she has to replace it, and fast.

She's looking at this in particular, which is a little out of her budget. It seems well cared for, I like that it has decent tyres and not cheap Chinese knock-offs and I've read that the ceramic coatings are magic.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-mazda-3-sp25-astina-bm-series-auto/SSE-AD-6445089/?Cr=4

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

slothrop posted:

not sure if this is the best thread for it - let me know if there is somewhere more appropriate.

Are there any major flaws/dealbreakers to be aware of with BM series Mazda 3's?

Some chump smashed into the better half's car while it was parked out the front of our house, now she has to replace it, and fast.

She's looking at this in particular, which is a little out of her budget. It seems well cared for, I like that it has decent tyres and not cheap Chinese knock-offs and I've read that the ceramic coatings are magic.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-mazda-3-sp25-astina-bm-series-auto/SSE-AD-6445089/?Cr=4

I have a 2014 iTouring (leather steering wheel, cloth seats, 2L) and not what appears to the equivalent of a 2016 i grand touring or 2.5L model.
Here's what I haven't liked about the car so far, including things that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual quality:
1. The AC condenser broke last year. Sucks but probably not relevant to this discussion
2. The USB plugs and 12v socket are under the armrest. The USB plug on mine doesn't provide very good or any charging power, and the 12v plug is high enough that after including a car charger, your usb cable has to make a very tight bend to make it out of the little slot they have for cable passthrough. This may have killed my last phone, but it's impossible to tell if it was the cable getting shorted due to stress, the phone being crap, or the charger being crap. I hate the design and wish it was where the CD player is even if it didn't actually kill my phone. The center storage is also just barely too small to fit a small kleenex box without crushing it a little
3. Mazda doesn't have the greatest sound deadening for road noise. I believe this is brand-wide, and not specific to the 3 or that model year.
4. Mazda has stiffer suspensions than a lot of other brands. This is nice for corners or whatever, but speedbumps are just that much worse.
5. Some rear end in a top hat backed into the front of my care and poked a hole in my bumper. Again not all that relevant but whatever.
6. I rarely put the temperature dial more than ~2 clicks from the middle setting, since beyond that it's usually way too hot or cold outside of getting the initial temperature up/down. It feels like a youtube volume control where the first 10% of it does 90% of the volume.

And a side note, supposedly mazdas don't have the greatest resistance to rust, but if you're linking .au sites, I'm guessing that's not a huge problem

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

2. The USB plugs and 12v socket are under the armrest. The USB plug on mine doesn't provide very good or any charging power, and the 12v plug is high enough that after including a car charger, your usb cable has to make a very tight bend to make it out of the little slot they have for cable passthrough. This may have killed my last phone, but it's impossible to tell if it was the cable getting shorted due to stress, the phone being crap, or the charger being crap. I hate the design and wish it was where the CD player is even if it didn't actually kill my phone. The center storage is also just barely too small to fit a small kleenex box without crushing it a little

This isn't the discussion, but here's an Aukey cable with a 90 degree end.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N7Z38ZH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qAQbFb6MCGJQ9

My charger has ports coming out of the side, but I don't think they make it anymore.

Isosceles
Oct 31, 2004
The triangle philosopher
I am looking to get a used Mazda CX-9, 2017 or newer. I've test driven others in that category (Highlander, Pilot) and to me they seem have the best driving feel at least it the non-luxury midsized SUVs.

I'm ok with the lack of space relative to those other vehicles but I'm wondering if there are any other drawbacks that I should be aware with that car? I've also heard about potentially low powered A/C and potential battery draining but those seem like few and far between. I think? Is there anything else that jumps out?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Godzilla07 posted:

You sound like a great candidate for the nicest Toyota Prius you can afford. The Prius will allow you to not think about cars for a long time, so you can focus onto things you care about. If the way the Prius drives is too weird for you, a Civic, Corolla, or a Mazda 3 would be a good choice.

I would have figured Priuses were more expensive to maintain what with the electrics and poo poo? Do they actually break down less often/cost less to operate after considering the gas savings?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Uthor posted:

This isn't the discussion, but here's an Aukey cable with a 90 degree end.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N7Z38ZH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qAQbFb6MCGJQ9

My charger has ports coming out of the side, but I don't think they make it anymore.

Also not part of the discussion, but I have those cables and they work great. They're really nice if you're laying in bed and rest the phone on your chest or stomach while you're dickin around.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Prius is the most reliable car made by man to date. It consumes fewer wear items (things like brakes last longer due to regenerative braking), and all of the core components are extremely reliable. You will eventually have the battery degrade but that will only negatively effect your fuel economy. Eventually you may need to replace it but that costs about $2,000 and you will only need to do it once if ever. It costs less to drive in fuel costs and it costs less to maintain and it is unlikely to break. It's the best refrigerator ever.

The downside with the Prius is that it ranges from "not very attractive" to "loving absolutely one of the ugliest cars ever made" by generation, and it is also very slow and very dull to drive. Some people can't stand driving them. If you test drive one and you do not like the driving experience, congratulations, you're a future Mazda owner. (3, 6, CX-5 depending on your size preferences and car/CUV preferences)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Isosceles posted:

I am looking to get a used Mazda CX-9, 2017 or newer. I've test driven others in that category (Highlander, Pilot) and to me they seem have the best driving feel at least it the non-luxury midsized SUVs.

I'm ok with the lack of space relative to those other vehicles but I'm wondering if there are any other drawbacks that I should be aware with that car? I've also heard about potentially low powered A/C and potential battery draining but those seem like few and far between. I think? Is there anything else that jumps out?

It's possible that they fixed this or it was earlier than 2017, but I remember them having infotainment issues that sounded incredibly annoying. Something where it'd be rebooting while driving or just never turning on. This is hazily remember and I haven't bothered to look up whether it's real or not.

Isosceles
Oct 31, 2004
The triangle philosopher

powderific posted:

It's possible that they fixed this or it was earlier than 2017, but I remember them having infotainment issues that sounded incredibly annoying. Something where it'd be rebooting while driving or just never turning on. This is hazily remember and I haven't bothered to look up whether it's real or not.

Thanks for this, I heard this too but I'm planning to install the Apple Carplay thing on it soon as I get it. So I hope that resolves it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Posting on behalf of a friend who doesn't have an account, I had her fill out the template:

Proposed Budget: Under $10,500
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 Door, either compact or midsize
How will you be using the car?: Will basically be using this vehicle to go to work and back. Will make the occasional trip to northern wisconsin.
What aspects are most important to you? Would like to have bluetooth capabilities, Need something with a high MPG and does not need a lot of maintenance. Do not want a large vehicle.

She's in the south central Wisconsin area. I already strongly recommended a Prius to her, but she says she can't find any in the price range with below 200,000 miles. I've never looked at a Prius for myself so I don't know how big a deal that is - it might be fine.

She's coming from a 2012 (or so) MINI ALL4 that was under predatory financing that she couldn't afford and that needs a lot of expensive maintenance currently, so she's looking to get rid of it and move to something a bit more rational. She has financing set up in some fashion for a new (to her) car, that will involve trading in her current car, paying off the difference, and leaving her with about $10,500 for a car. She mentioned looking at a Mitsubishi Mirage (I strongly dissuaded her from this) and a Nissan Versa. I don't know enough about the latter to say whether it's good or not, cars in this price range are not anything I've ever looked at. I'll be relaying responses to her and responding with anything she says about them.

Edit: THIS is apparently one of the Versas in question

ssb fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

your friend is full of poo poo

that's southeast but she can go over to Racine or Milwaukee or down to Chicago to buy a car, that's totally fine

id rather walk that drive that versa