Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
Proposed Budget: $25,000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: SUV (Currently thinking Nissa Pathfinder, Mazda CX9, or Honda Pilot)
How will you be using the car?: Family of 4 (two car seats), strollers, groceries, and occasional guests
What aspects are most important to you? 3 rows of seating

Growing out of the 2005 Prius. Looking to upgrade to a larger vehicle that can comfortably accommodate my family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

TKIY posted:

Santa Fe XL or whatever the three row model is called in the states. We almost bought a Pilot and realized that it wasn't worth the 10k CDN more.

Thanks.

I'll take a look. Are any of the models (pathfinder, cx9, pilot) exceptionally bad between 2013-now?

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

Slo-Tek posted:

Get a minivan. You'll pay all the money in the world (or 25k), even for very used, but a Honda Odyssey is awesome for moving family around. You aren't fooling anybody about your virility and sexual availability with your Mom-SUV, so get a van that has nice folding seats, and like 18 cupholders. Seriously, minivans drive better than SUV's make better use of interior space, and have actually useable-by-adults-for-moderate-distances third rows without being Suburban sized.

I said the same thing to my wife, but she thinks I'm joking. I think the double sliding doors and mega space inside would be great. The newer Odyssey's even have a built-in vacuum I think. How would it do in the snow/ice compared to the giant SUVs I've listed? I've found a few cert used AWD CX9s that I'm planning on looking at this weekend, 2-3 years old, <30k miles, in the top trims.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

People sometimes forget that for vehicles (really anything you buy) are not just about the utility they provide but about the emotions they cause you to have. There's nothing wrong with preferring an SUV over a minivan, particularly if you acknowledge what you're doing.

Often buying an SUV isn't about "fooling" other people into thinking you're cool and hip. Personally, I find SUV's much better looking (especially that classy as poo poo new CX-9) and with the right values for value-of-utility vs value-of-aesthetics I would purchase the SUV.

This is good life advice.

I have another question that is probably more BFC than AI. I currently have a 2005 Prius with 100k miles. It's an awesome car, but we live in the city and won't really need two cars. I will likely be moving away from the city and will need a 2nd car in about a year. Should I trade this thing in or hold on to it, park it on the street, pay insurance for it, and drive it maybe once a month? The logical side says "Trade it in, and buy another one in a year. You can find the same car for $500 less and save the $500 in insurance you would waste". The other side says "You know the history of this car, you know its a great car, it's the worth $1,000 to not have to go through the car buying process and uncertainty of trying to find a reliable and affordable car in a year". Someone keep me sane.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

I Love Topanga posted:

Proposed Budget: $25,000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: SUV (Currently thinking Nissa Pathfinder, Mazda CX9, or Honda Pilot)
How will you be using the car?: Family of 4 (two car seats), strollers, groceries, and occasional guests
What aspects are most important to you? 3 rows of seating

Growing out of the 2005 Prius. Looking to upgrade to a larger vehicle that can comfortably accommodate my family.

Quoting myself for context because it's a few pages back.

Test drove a CX9 and my wife didn't like it. She says it didn't feel like a big car. Drove a pathfinder and she did like it, but now we're debating if the 3rd row is necessary.

She just drove an RDX and fell in love but it's about a grand over budget and still doesn't include a remote start, which is a requirement. Should we look at the crv or am I officially hosed now that we've dipped into the next category? Help me AI

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
Son of a bitch. I was conned.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

nm posted:

Lol, driving a car way over budget is always a trap.
Also how the gently caress is "feeling like a big car" a loving pro? Big cars drive like rear end unless they have tricked physics into thinking they are small cars or have giant motors.

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not happy unless my car feels like an aircraft carrier.

I think part of the draw of upgrading to an SUV was the idea of sitting up higher and feeling safer. She didn't get that feeling from the CX9. I agree that it seems like a positive to me, but I guess that's why I'm keeping the Prius.

IRQ posted:

A basic remote starter costs like 2-250 installed depending on whatever bypass bullshit they have to put in.

The dealership said they could install an Acura one for ~$900 which would be covered by the certified pre-owned warranty. An off brand would be about half. Any guidance you have when shopping for one would be helpful.

I'm going to go back and see if I can get them to fit it into my budget... They will drop 10% off the asking price and throw the remote start in, right?... Right? Buying a car blows.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
I went and drove the RDX... It's really nice.

However, car selling tactics have not changed. The sales manager was a douche and said "Let me earn your business" about 4 times in the 5 minutes we spoke. Interestingly, he was not interested in negotiating price at all. "I know this is the lowest priced AWD, Tech package, Certified RDX in the entire Midwest" How else do you want to earn my business? A backrub? I know this car has been sitting on your lot for 5 months, the oil change sticker is still on the windshield. I'll legitimately buy it for a couple grand less....

Now I'm off to drive a CRV, a Rogue, and a CX5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

As was foretold I have purchased a 2014 RDX, AWD Tech. It has 33k miles and I got it for $24k. I feel pretty good about the purchase.

Thanks for all your help AI. I hope I'm not back any time soon