Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Proposed Budget: 15,000 - 20,000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 door w/ trunk/saloon
How will you be using the car?: For the girlfriend to commute to and from work, and frequent highway roadtrips on less than perfect highways
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos: Yes
What aspects are most important to you:

Looking for a once expensive, now not so expensive big comfy highway car. Important to have lots of horsepower, and able to cruise easily at 80mph or so. HID lights are preferred. It will be driven 3x a week to commute to work, and the rest of the time used to travel from Buttass Alberta to Vancouver BC every few weeks.

So far I've been looking at the Chrysler 300c and SRT8, I think 2006 has the HID lamps ? These range from 13,500 to $20,000

Also the 2008 Cadillac STS with 320 horsepower v6 can be had for under $20,000. The CTS is slightly small.

Is there a comparable Lincoln ? I would assume the Mercedes and BMW variants would be 10 or 15,000 more expensive for the same options...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks a bunch for all those suggestions. I will research all of these. As I am stuck at a drilling rig probably for the next 24 hours, my internet connection is pretty poor. The Infinity m35/45. Is that similar to a g35 4 door or larger ? The g35 while nice, is a bit small.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That phaeton is neat. The exterior styling is somewhat bland, and I cringe at a navigation/ media center from 2004. I emailed to ask what engine is in that Calgary one.

Seems like it would be a troubleshooting nightmare if/when things go wrong. 4 air compressors for 4 air actuated struts!

Anybody have an idea wHat the fuel range is for one of these ? My Jeep JK Rubicon gets 15L/100km in town and 11.5 on the highway. This allows me to get to Vancouver from Grande Prairie with a fill up in Jasper and then in Kamloops. Each requiring about 2/3 of a tank.

The phaetons specs on wikipedia are worded strangely. If it gets less than 10mpg then that is simply throwing money away. The 300c I've been driving gets around 9.5L/100km which is good considering the acceleration at highway speeds.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for all the car suggestions. I've decided on a 300c or srt8 due to the price, and how plentiful they are used in Vancouver.

The phaeton is a sweet car, but even the v8 model there are way too many things to go wrong. Such as $10,000 shock replacement.

I think the plan will be a 300c or srt8 with a supercharger, the quiet est exhaust possible and upgraded shocks, I guess bilsteins.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Throatwarbler posted:

So this is another one of those reccommend-me-a-cars where we all agree which car you should buy and you ignore it? <:mad:>

Nothing wrong with the 300 especially the SRT8, but the interior's not great and it's only availible as an automatic. Why not see if you can find a manual 5 series?

I specifically want an auto, I have an 18 speed manual at work and it gets tiring. Also I asked for other cars to consider, and most of those cars other than the phaeton don't meet the requirements. IE big, comfy and lots of horsepower. A 5 series BMW doesn't have much room. I'm 6'2" and my girlfriend is 5'10", so to fit more than 2 people comfortably requires a decent size rear seat.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nm posted:

Check out the M35.
I can sit in the front (6'4") and my brother (6'1") can sit in the back

Is the difference between the m35 and 45 engine only ? Its unclear from wikipedia. Photos of the 35 interior seem to have woodgrain, while the 45 has some sort of brushed aluminum look.

Are the rear seating area larger in the 45 ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Looking at m45's now. The interior is nicer than the 300c and bixenons are a plus. On the downside, getting any more power out of it will be a pain in the rear end. The 300c's interior isn't bad either. And the exterior looks better to me.

There are a couple m45's for sale in Edmonton for under $20,000. Too bad its a 300mile drive to see them.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
loving tire chains grrrrrr I put on and take off 6 sets of tire chains daily. 1 steer, 4 drive triples, and 1 for the trailer. In the middle of the loving summer. gently caress Alberta Mud it is the worst of anywhere. (Yes I've seen the russian video)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Infiniti m45, how does the engine deal with 87 octane fuel ? Is the ECU able to retard the ignition timing quickly enough to avoid pinging ? The remote areas I travel to will mean I will occasionally have to fill up with regular grade fuel.

Perhaps if I drive without mashing the go pedal I can avoid engine damage. My old racecar had high compression and a lot of boost, but I drove it with 94 octane on occasion without destroying the gaskets.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the suggestions a few pages ago. I put an offer down at a dealership of 13,500 for a like new low mileage 300c, they cam back with 14,500. Just waiting for the paperwork to go through, will most likely be picking it up tomorrow.

It will be getting some snow tires to deal with the -40 weather we get here starting 2 months from now, and come spring, some performance touring tires on 20" wheels, coilovers with bilsteins and possibly a procharger with water/ethanol injection

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Seafea posted:

Good point. It was night, so it'd probably be more noticable in the day. They seem to have been struck by like quarter sized pieces of hail briefly. Just dunno if a discount like that is a good deal or not since I've never bought a car before.

A slightly used car with damage will depreciate in value very quickly. Seems like its a decent deal if you want to drive it for 15 years. If you plan to only keep it for 5 years or so, it will be very hard to sell for anything near a fair market price versus an unblemished vehicle.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sigh. I think we scrapped the idea of the 300c now. The one clean one that was unmolested has a bad dash rattle that I can't find and the dealer doesn't want to fix it for fear of labour costs. Whatever.

So we've been having some discussions: My Rubicon is almost paid off, I think it has another $10,000 owing on it, I might just pay it off in one lump sum. I'm going to keep that vehicle because of love it. Anything I ever don't like about it I can always change, and maybe one day a hemi or LSx swap.

However we're going to eventually need a tow rig and I figure a modern diesel pickup with a top interior trim could probably serve our needs for a nice highway vehicle. I don't think GMC/Chevy offers anything with spectacular interior, but the Ford F350 King Ranch really catches my eye. What year did the Ford Powerstroke troubles end, was it with the introduction of the 6.4L ?

There is also the Dodge 3500 LongHorn, which can be had in Megacab configuration. I havent seen a longhorn in person, but from the pictures, the interior doesn't seem as nice as the King Ranch. Something about that baseball glove leather and stitching seems really nice.

Both can tow well over what I need, but I really want duallie rear axle for the added stability when towing a travel trailer. The side winds we get here are no joke. Anyways, if anyone wants to weigh in on my ramblings. Maybe I should start a new thread asking about the powerstroke.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hrmm, Time to swap out some vehicles. My Jeep has been sort of a hobby and fun vehicle, but I am bored with it and the things I want to do with it are more suited to a dedicated offroad vehicle. I'm returning it to stock and selling off the parts. Not looking for financial advice.

Currently in the driveway:

2008 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 150,000km (Worth Roughly $20,000)
2011 Ram 2500 (Worth roughly $24,000)

Come January I'm going to trade the Jeep for a 2015 Wildcat X
http://ca.arcticcat.com/sidexside/model/wildcatxeps#white_metallic

The pickup is my hauling and vacation vehicle. It only gets driven once or twice per month. Now I need a commuting vehicle. I'm not sure what though, so toss some ideas at me...

Currently considering Subarus, AWD 300c's, smaller SUV's, depreciated Ford Focus ? Cruze ? I'd like better than 20mpg in town.

Proposed Budget: $10,000 or less
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Must be front wheel drive, all wheel drive or 4x4
How will you be using the car?: Commuting 15km to and from work in temps from +30c down to -40, running errands and driving 1150km to Vancouver and back every few weeks.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Gizmos no, but some luxury yes
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, Comfort/Legroom, Ability to seat 4 comfortably, Reliable, nice to drive at speed on the highway.
3. If you do not live in the U.S... Canada!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C... posted:

That off road vehicle is neat.

Enjoy your second generation Prius!

Does the Prius work well at -40 ? Does it have lots of legroom ? I'm 6'2" and 210 pounds. How is it for long drives on the highway ? Lots of passing power ?

Edit: I can't find any used ones for sale in my province anyways.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Other than being bland, any opinions on the ford five hundred AWD ? Seems large and heavy enough to offer decent ride quality. Is the CVT from that era of Fords soemthing to be concerned about ?