Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
never understood rinks in malls, didn't you just have like, stand alone rinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The purpose of the rink is not purely skating. Its main function is to attract people to the mall so they'll shop more and buy stuff.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's 104*F right now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Godholio posted:

It's 104*F right now.

gently caress that im tryin to move somewhere colder

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I just drove from Phoenix to Philly.

In Tennessee, Waze reported a vehicle stopped on the road ahead. Technically correct, but it turned out to be a tractor-trailer that had caught fire and melted down to the frame. I mean there was no cab left, everything was gone except for the engine and wheels and other bits made out of solid steel. The trailer was mostly gone as well, the roof and sides were missing. Fire trucks and cops were still there and it was still dripping water so this had just happened. The load was romaine lettuce.

A few miles down the road, there's a warning sign that's alternating between "ACCIDENT AHEAD" and "RIGHT LANE CLOSED." Okay, I get up to it, and it's a semi trailer. No tractor unit, just the trailer, and it's burned. Not as bad as the first one, the trailer's still mostly intact but there's a big gaping hole burned in it, just about at the midpoint of the trailer. The load is...romaine lettuce.

That's gotta be some weird organized crime thing going on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

When I was growing up in TN the 40/75 interchange meant that there were a lot of burned up trucks on the highway because of meth labs igniting from static electricity during transit.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Midjack posted:

When I was growing up in TN the 40/75 interchange meant that there were a lot of burned up trucks on the highway because of meth labs igniting from static electricity during transit.

Los Ensaladas Hermanos

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

shy boy from chess club posted:

I think I found the clunking coming from the back of my Outback. I figured it had water in it cause in the winter it stopped moving all together. It was so bad that the spring was rubbing on the inner wheel well.

https://streamable.com/j27tll

That's an impressive level of commitment toward getting every last ounce of life out of a shock.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Phanatic posted:

I just drove from Phoenix to Philly.

In Tennessee, Waze reported a vehicle stopped on the road ahead. Technically correct, but it turned out to be a tractor-trailer that had caught fire and melted down to the frame. I mean there was no cab left, everything was gone except for the engine and wheels and other bits made out of solid steel. The trailer was mostly gone as well, the roof and sides were missing. Fire trucks and cops were still there and it was still dripping water so this had just happened. The load was romaine lettuce.

A few miles down the road, there's a warning sign that's alternating between "ACCIDENT AHEAD" and "RIGHT LANE CLOSED." Okay, I get up to it, and it's a semi trailer. No tractor unit, just the trailer, and it's burned. Not as bad as the first one, the trailer's still mostly intact but there's a big gaping hole burned in it, just about at the midpoint of the trailer. The load is...romaine lettuce.

That's gotta be some weird organized crime thing going on.

Lettuce wars.
Also, :

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Horrible Mechanical Failures: The load is...romaine lettuce

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Its Texas, so pretty much no. They were a complete novelty, so it had to be attached to something else to help offset the cost.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

MrYenko posted:

There are people turning wrenches out there who don’t know that you’re supposed to drain the old oil out before you add new oil.

The internet said my engine oil fill was 5 litres, but it took almost 20 litres to fill the engine to the top! Don't always believe what you read online!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

The internet said my engine oil fill was 5 litres, but it took almost 20 litres to fill the engine to the top! Don't always believe what you read online!

I worked with a guy who did this to his car when he was 17.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I knew someone who stored a car for a while and filled the engine to the top, then forgot and turned it over.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s why you always leave a note.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FSi3REAKe4

I wonder how they're going to get 200+ PSI into that tire...oh they're just going to stand directly next to it and inflate it. Okay.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

I knew someone who stored a car for a while and filled the engine to the top, then forgot and turned it over.

A car dealing youtuber told a good story about this. He bought a car at auction that didn't need much work, sold it, and the kid comes back the next day with a badly running car spewing oil out everywhere, even the exhaust. The seller remembers driving the car previously, the buyer drove the car off the lot, and the kid says all he had done was an oil change. Leave the car here, we'll make it right or give you the money back. Mechanic comes out, looks at the car, and drains out five extra quarts of oil from the engine. They can't figure out why this happened until the mechanic has a light bulb go off! He goes to another car of the same model on their lot and compares their oil dipsticks, the hosed up car has a significantly shorter dipstick.

What they figured happened was someone saw the car at auction, liked it, and pulled the dipstick to discourage anyone else looking at it from wanting to bid on the car. They know this because they use the same trick. Wrong dipstick ended up in the car and whoever did the oil change paid no attention to actual measurements, just the marks on the dipstick.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

madeintaipei posted:

A car dealing youtuber told a good story about this. He bought a car at auction that didn't need much work, sold it, and the kid comes back the next day with a badly running car spewing oil out everywhere, even the exhaust. The seller remembers driving the car previously, the buyer drove the car off the lot, and the kid says all he had done was an oil change. Leave the car here, we'll make it right or give you the money back. Mechanic comes out, looks at the car, and drains out five extra quarts of oil from the engine. They can't figure out why this happened until the mechanic has a light bulb go off! He goes to another car of the same model on their lot and compares their oil dipsticks, the hosed up car has a significantly shorter dipstick.

What they figured happened was someone saw the car at auction, liked it, and pulled the dipstick to discourage anyone else looking at it from wanting to bid on the car. They know this because they use the same trick. Wrong dipstick ended up in the car and whoever did the oil change paid no attention to actual measurements, just the marks on the dipstick.

Do people at car auctions really pass on a car cause the dipstick is missing? Seems possible but also since they all seem to know this trick, not as likely.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LifeSunDeath posted:

Do people at car auctions really pass on a car cause the dipstick is missing? Seems possible but also since they all seem to know this trick, not as likely.

Wow, numbers matching huh? Where's the dipstick, dipshit? I wouldn't pay 20 dollars for this jalopy.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

That's what the man said. Anyone help me out here, brothers or half-brothers in NYC, they destroy engines in junk cars and do burnouts with them on city streets?

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
When I worked at Firestone they gave an oil change to a first-day employed teenager. Couldn't the the car to start afterwards, turns out he let the indicator on the bulk oil filler gun go around 5 times instead of 5 digits (about 6 gallons?). After draining the excess everything was fine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Platystemon posted:

That’s why you always leave a note.

Leave a note if you overfill, leave a note if it's empty/low, leave a note for anything that needs attention before starting. I usually stick it on the key if it's in a car or somewhere very obvious if the engine is on a stand.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

That's what the man said. Anyone help me out here, brothers or half-brothers in NYC, they destroy engines in junk cars and do burnouts with them on city streets?

Neutral Drop? STUNTMAN!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Yeah even way back then, I was wondering how the gently caress they were justifying such a MASSIVE campus that you needed literal maps to get around in. And yet, aside from the foyers (which were lined with restaurants, little convenience stores, and of course a few Radio Shack concept stores), it was a pretty generic corporate campus outside of being yuuuuuuge (aside from some fast as hell elevators).

I've been to the JC Penney campus a few times as well (on deliveries, also a friend works there, I've met him a few times for lunch). the JCP campus was a lot more tasteful, much more understated, but also just as sprawling, and otherwise generic once you were out of the foyers.

That's one of the only malls in DFW I never made it to.

When I left (granted, 2 years ago), the big shocker was that Town East Mall in Mesquite was not only thriving (seriously, packed on weeknights), but... THE SEARS WAS FULLY STAFFED AND STOCKED. :wtc: Most of the other malls were on life support. Valley View has been half torn down for ages, Collin Creek had all the anchors torn down (supposedly they're going to reuse some of the interior corridors, but it's becoming a live/work/shop destination supposedly), Vista Ridge had been through bankruptcy (don't know what it's called now). Northpark is still thriving tho, and probably will be until the boomers decide to stop going to malls.

I'm kinda sad that Austin only has 2 (indoor) malls. Apparently the one by work used to be amazing in the 80s mall stereotype (lots of visuals, fountains, etc). It's just generic as hell now.

Vista Ridge is now "Music City Mall": https://www.mcmlewisville.com/
Never been there. I don't think I went when it was Vista Ridge.

Irving Mall is pretty much on life support, but it's still there. Sears is dead, one of the former anchor locations is now an "Event Center". There's a pop-up amusement park there about once every 3 months or so. Or was until recently.
Northeast Mall in Hurst is doing OK. Still pretty nice. North Hills Mall (which was literally across the highway from Northeast Mall, for some reason) died years ago, and I believe was flattened. Forum 303 Mall in Arlington died something like a decade ago, and is now a business park. For a while, there was an indoor flea market in there. I should have gone more often. Of course, Traders Village was just down the road, so it was kind of superfluous. I haven't been out to Grapevine Mills in a couple years, other than the theater and LEGOLand. The former Dave and Busters is now a Sea Life or something like that, which is actually pretty neat. I'm missing a mall. There was another one north of Forum 303, but on the same highway.

Fake edit: Six Flags Mall! It was partially acquired and became a "Hispanic-oriented" mall in 2014, but closed again and demo started in 2016, according to Wikipedia. God, I feel so old. I worked at the Toys R Us that was behind the mall for a couple years.
Dang it, now I miss Toys R Us, even though I didn't visit that often.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Not ice rinks in TX, no.
Now *roller* rinks, on the other hand... there's still a few of those left.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Leave a note if you overfill, leave a note if it's empty/low, leave a note for anything that needs attention before starting. I usually stick it on the key if it's in a car or somewhere very obvious if the engine is on a stand.

Currently, I have a slow leak in my right front tire. I have a reminder to check that every time I get in the car, until I make myself take it up to Discount Tire. Not a note, I have my Ryobi inflator in the floorboard. The bright green catches my magpie brain every time.

Oh, and that Outback strut was hilarious! I've had ones almost as... unabsorbing, but not actively puking like that.

edit: I'm going to stop with the mall derail now. Sorry.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LifeSunDeath posted:

I've seen it done where someone will put in a much shorter dipstick to make it look like there's no oil in the engine, discouraging interest in the vehicle. So you pull the stick when you're checking it out, see that the engine is bone dry, and move right along to the next money pit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

At the local flight school there's a squawk sheet (maintenance request) up on the wall where the pilot complained about the plane's engine losing oil. Says something like "filled up to 9 quarts before takeoff, flew 30 min, landed, oil was down to 6 quarts, added 3 quarts back to 9, flew 1.5 hours, oil was at 5.5 quarts, filled up to 9, flew another 1 hour, oil back down at 6"

mechanic's reply on the bottom: "engine oil capacity is 6 quarts"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Memento posted:

I've seen it done where someone will put in a much shorter dipstick to make it look like there's no oil in the engine, discouraging interest in the vehicle. So you pull the stick when you're checking it out, see that the engine is bone dry, and move right along to the next money pit.

people are so delightfully shady sometimes.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Memento posted:

I thought poo poo like this would get you kicked out of most auto auctions, provided you get caught (big caveat there).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

90s Solo Cup posted:

I thought poo poo like this would get you kicked out of most auto auctions, provided you get caught (big caveat there).

The one time I definitely saw it it was an employee of the auction house who was getting his mates to buy the vehicles for pennies on the dollar. He also once bolted a bit of metal on a spring to the harmonic balancer on a HQ GTS Monaro so it would sound like it had a bottom-end knock when it ran, same deal.

He ended up getting fired when he was arrested for dealing heroin in the auction house carpark. We're not talking about a quality individual here.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Guy who used to work with me in parks knew of a minty 100 series going through the state fleet auctions of his worksite and wanted it for himself. He found it the day it went off to the auctions and poured about 5L of 2 stroke oil into the fuel tank. When they started it up at the auction pre view it smoked like it’s oil control rings were in the sump.

He ended up getting a $60K land cruiser for $25k because no one wanted a car with an obviously dusted and wrecked $25K engine.

Few tanks of diesel later and it just cleared up and stopped smoking!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Darchangel posted:

Currently, I have a slow leak in my right front tire. I have a reminder to check that every time I get in the car, until I make myself take it up to Discount Tire. Not a note, I have my Ryobi inflator in the floorboard. The bright green catches my magpie brain every time.
Wife's car has had a leak in the right rear since we got back in January, I have a reminder on my phone to top it off every Saturday morning. Took it to discount in February? and they couldn't find a leak so it's likely due to being five years and 55k miles old. Tread is still fine but they're due for replacement. Which reminds me I need to see how Discount is dealing with COVID and put a new set of rubber on that thing.

Ferremit posted:

Guy who used to work with me in parks knew of a minty 100 series going through the state fleet auctions of his worksite and wanted it for himself. He found it the day it went off to the auctions and poured about 5L of 2 stroke oil into the fuel tank. When they started it up at the auction pre view it smoked like it’s oil control rings were in the sump.

He ended up getting a $60K land cruiser for $25k because no one wanted a car with an obviously dusted and wrecked $25K engine.

Simple but brilliant

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Ferremit posted:

Sounds like fraud. Even if not, it's lovely and dishonest.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/tvVeF7f.mp4

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is a Type R, that is just factory weight reduction.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

"WILL YOU MOTHERFUCKERS PLEASE STOP POURING SOLVENTS DOWN THE GOD drat SINK?!?!?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the sink can’t take the universal solvent, it’s not fit for purpose. :colbert:

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
Someone combined Drano, a base, and CLR an acid, so they reacted and made a lot of heat which then melted the pipes. If they put either of them on its own it would be fine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I leave the fill plug or cap for whatever I was working on on the spot where the hood latch goes if the hood is up. Keeps it from closing and therefore I will spot it and not kill the car. If the hood is getting closed I leave the caps on the driver's seat. Blue masking tape with notes on the windshield facing the drivers seat works too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

At my age I have to leave a note to remind me to leave a note.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

I forget why I write the notes and have to wonder if I was full of poo poo. Can we switch usernames?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Wife's car has had a leak in the right rear since we got back in January, I have a reminder on my phone to top it off every Saturday morning. Took it to discount in February? and they couldn't find a leak so it's likely due to being five years and 55k miles old. Tread is still fine but they're due for replacement. Which reminds me I need to see how Discount is dealing with COVID and put a new set of rubber on that thing.

Discount Tire here is handling it by asking you to stay in your car until they pull the car in, (or drop it off), minimizing customers in the office. I had the left rear repaired a month or so ago - which is why the right front leaking now is frustrating. Just junk on the road, but annoying.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I see you, and witness you my brother.