Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I totally double clutch all the time. Once I started doing that and stopped granny shifting, my quarter mile ETs dropped considerably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1pxgeKwVc

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/701265871317762110/756499208302887014/DASH_480.mp4
had this happen with a Dr Pepper can, but it just sprayed the entire interior, no structural damage.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Haha nice, I saw that earlier but it cut off before it showed the roof.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

No pics of it yet, but Finnegan discovered during Rocky Mountain Race Week 2.0 that if you install the shift lever on your sequential upside down, you don't realise that you're actually launching in second gear until you hit red line and smack it into second.... only for it to go back into first and send your 525cu hemi to about 11,000 rpm...

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Breaking a rod and another what $30,000 racing engine in the bin?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ferremit posted:

No pics of it yet, but Finnegan discovered during Rocky Mountain Race Week 2.0 that if you install the shift lever on your sequential upside down, you don't realise that you're actually launching in second gear until you hit red line and smack it into second.... only for it to go back into first and send your 525cu hemi to about 11,000 rpm...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TFM4DFn5e0&t=13615s
That seems to be the run, sure looks and sounds like a money shift to me.

Even so, he apparently managed to get it running enough to do a 9 second pass at 5:28:50

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

You know, you'd think a 2017 Lincoln Navigator would have some cargo hooks in back. Oh no, let's save a buck. gently caress you Ford.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

You know, you'd think a 2017 Lincoln Navigator would have some cargo hooks in back. Oh no, let's save a buck. gently caress you Ford.

You’re not intended to actually carry cargo in one of those.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Midjack posted:

You’re not intended to actually carry cargo in one of those.

if you're gonna haul poo poo you buy an explorer.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Astonishing Wang posted:

if you're gonna haul poo poo you buy an F350.

It’s the american way.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wolrah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TFM4DFn5e0&t=13615s
That seems to be the run, sure looks and sounds like a money shift to me.

Even so, he apparently managed to get it running enough to do a 9 second pass at 5:28:50

Sponsored by BANGShift, huh?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Here's hoping the driver stopped and gave the nice cop this footage so they'll have a helpful visual of what led up to the crash.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
A bit upthread someone wondered exactly why Americans don’t learn to drive manual... I can’t speak to how we got here but the current problem is availability.

My son wants to drive stick, but I sold all my cars over a decade ago. No rental companies stock manual, so I’m renting the only manual transmission in a 100 mile radius on Turo :ssh: It’s a Fiat 500 and my son is 6’3”. If any horrible mechanical failures occur I’ll keep the thread posted.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm rebuilding a Miata for my 7 month old daughter. It's a manual of course. It's definitely for her...yup. It's blown up 3 times. It'll be ready in 15 years-ish.

Let's play how long can I keep a k24 out of it. I hope I lose!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Had a car with a dual clutch auto and it was great. Shifts were instant, don't have to gently caress with a clutch, really not sure why people are still holding out for manuals but they do look cool in some hypercars.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Dcts are fun until the first clutch replacement is due. Oh you expected 1000 bux Like with a manual ? How about adding a zero. This was known as the taxi crisis in germany by the way when vw decided no more automatics, just dct and opted for the cheapest dry clutch system they could fit. Before 60k miles almost every DCT taxi asked for another clutch or 2 and because they are weir items they are not covered by warranty. Imagine how quickly VW had to offer torque converter automatics again afterwards because a taxi firesale broke loose and no taxi fleet was buying vw anymore.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What even is the point of dual clutch paddle shift manuals except to train us all out of wanting real manuals for the stated and/or implicit reason (that being, “doing a smooth fast shift with a traditional clutch is a cool skill I like to be good at”)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

Dcts are fun until the first clutch replacement is due. Oh you expected 1000 bux Like with a manual ? How about adding a zero. This was known as the taxi crisis in germany by the way when vw decided no more automatics, just dct and opted for the cheapest dry clutch system they could fit. Before 60k miles almost every DCT taxi asked for another clutch or 2 and because they are weir items they are not covered by warranty. Imagine how quickly VW had to offer torque converter automatics again afterwards because a taxi firesale broke loose and no taxi fleet was buying vw anymore.

don't know about all that, my GTI lasted 100k miles without needing any transmission work besides a recall at like 10k miles where they replaced the mechatronics unit. services on VW are always overpriced bullshit though, they're affordable up front then gouge you on parts (cause they little audi stamps on their parts so they think this ups the price).

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

They aren't really that affordable upfront either. A hyundai I30N is a better performance hatchback than the GTI and costs less on the european market (I have no clue about USDM but over here the hyundai pretty much dethroned the GTI as the king of danger toys for young adults)

DCTs in general wear faster than manual clutches. Part of that is because the DCT constantly has to guess what kind of launch you want from your throttle input, whereas with a manual you control that with the clutch and therefore control the wear too.

Second is that a DCT clutch pack is smaller than a manual clutch but has to hold a similar torque and synchronisation energy (actually more because of the guesswork the transmission is doing)

Theres also a point about torque overlap during a gear change when both clutches are kinds engaged. This behavior depends on the programming of the transmission and the manufacturer balances lifetime versus performance. You can guess what they decide for usually.

It's perfectly normal to see a DCT surviving 100k miles. It's a use case dependent wear item after all and if your driving conditions have been kind to the DCT it may as well live another 100k. But under such driving conditions the question would be if the DCT was really that necessary.

It all goes around the point mentioned above though. With a manual you will be challenged and ultimately become a better driver with a more refined control for the vehicle. With a DCT you will be not. The vast majority of people does not care about becoming better drivers (hence the trend for more automation, less feedback and control) since arguing between both camps is futile because it's a difference in personal values, there really is no better or worse for everybody. A DCT is more expensive and more fragile and takes up the task of occasionally moving your foot or hand. that's ultimately the bottom line.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 19, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
"did not require any service other than a massive failure of a critical high dollar component" is not the ringing endorsement you think it is

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

They aren't really that affordable upfront either. A hyundai I30N is a better performance hatchback than the GTI and costs less on the european market (I have no clue about USDM but over here the hyundai pretty much dethroned the GTI as the king of danger toys for young adults)

DCTs in general wear faster than manual clutches. Part of that is because the DCT constantly has to guess what kind of launch you want from your throttle input, whereas with a manual you control that with the clutch and therefore control the wear too.

Second is that a DCT clutch pack is smaller than a manual clutch but has to hold a similar torque and synchronisation energy (actually more because of the guesswork the transmission is doing)

Theres also a point about torque overlap during a gear change when both clutches are kinds engaged. This behavior depends on the programming of the transmission and the manufacturer balances lifetime versus performance. You can guess what they decide for usually.

It's perfectly normal to see a DCT surviving 100k miles. It's a use case dependent wear item after all and if your driving conditions have been kind to the DCT it may as well live another 100k. But under such driving conditions the question would be if the DCT was really that necessary.

It all goes around the point mentioned above though. With a manual you will be challenged and ultimately become a better driver with a more refined control for the vehicle. With a DCT you will be not. Zhr vast majority of people does not care about becoming better drivers (hence the trend for more automation, less feedback and control) since arguing between both camps is futile because it's a difference in personal values, there really is no better or worse for everybody. A DCT is more expensive and more fragile and takes up the task of occasionally moving your foot or hand. that's ultimately the bottom line.

Totally understand and you're right the GTI is overpriced now, but I got mine in 2006 and it was pretty affordable and high performance for dollar imo.

Anyway, I'm far past the age in my life where I take risks driving, it does nothing for me anymore. I took that little VW up to 140 a few times and just stopped loving around after that cause I was done getting tickets or having near misses.

My current car is real stupid though, it has paddle shifters straight from the GTR, they look and feel great, but it's running a super lovely slush box and does nothing for performance, so I've used them maybe twice in the 5 years I've had it.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I did like that model year. I did my driving school on a Polo GTI of that generation that had one of the Yamaha developed 5 valve cylinder heads. Great motor.

That was probably the last generation of really really good volkswagen. Also the pumpe düse Diesel they made back then. Superb.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I wanted to learn stick in America so I went out and bought a stick for my first car. A mk5 GTI in fact! It helped that city life and poor millennial life meant that I didn’t have a car until 22 though. What’s weird to me is talking about the mechanical advantages of DCT, because I don’t think that’s ever really been super hotly contested? Almost universally you hear they are faster, a stick has never been about being faster around a race track to me though so I don’t get why that’s relevant to anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There have been people who have claimed that a stick is faster around a race track, I don't know why they claim that, but I've seen it. Sounds similar to people who claim they are better than cruise control.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its probably a throwback to the days of yore when manual transmission cars WERE faster than their automatic counterparts.
Automatics have come along way though, and while I still love to manually choose what gear I'm in, I don't think there's much of a contest between two similar cars one with manual and the other with automatic these day.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I love me the krackle of exhaust that I get on a 4 to 2 downshift stopping for a traffic light. Haven't driven enough DCT to know if that's possible. But non sequential options do have their upsides.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

absolutely not

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Looks good. I'd want to add some extra bits to make it lift straight upwards rather than at an angle.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Only thing is, through the power of leverage you might overload the jack

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

LifeSunDeath posted:

don't know about all that, my GTI lasted 100k miles without needing any transmission work besides a recall at like 10k miles where they replaced the mechatronics unit. services on VW are always overpriced bullshit though, they're affordable up front then gouge you on parts (cause they little audi stamps on their parts so they think this ups the price).

I mean you can doubt it all you want, the taxi crisis in Germany was a real (and very funny at the time) thing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

I mean you can doubt it all you want, the taxi crisis in Germany was a real (and very funny at the time) thing.

e, do you have a good article about this, I'm not finding anything.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 19, 2020

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NoWake posted:

Only thing is, through the power of leverage you might overload the jack

Bud you won't like the lever ratio of a regular floor jack, then.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm not sure what that achieves over a trolley jack?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

InitialDave posted:

It's homebuilt and spiced with an element of danger and adventure? idk

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

InitialDave posted:

The guy had a bottle jack, some scrap angle iron and a welder.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cojawfee posted:

There have been people who have claimed that a stick is faster around a race track, I don't know why they claim that, but I've seen it.

Yeah me. Full manual control allows to fine tune attack mode and to give you some silly setup options coming into and then out of corners. DCT's are more consistent altho the last track day I did I was doing 0.05 difference on laps on the session so YMMY. "Faster for the average driver" might be true but not for a lunatic. An auto no matter how good also blunts throttle finesse which becomes very important around higher speed corners, DCT at least mostly still has it but I tend to find it's still not as manageable as a full manual. For instance around turn 1 of Eastern Creek, you can lose/gain a second right there just being able to micro manage the car's attitude and balance - it's a long high speed sweeper that needs heavy braking from a high terminal velocity straight to set up for a short squirt into the turn two double apex.. Turn 7 is also al lot like that too so any time I gained by self shifting (and a manual can shift fast even being mechanically sympathetic) I've lost by having higher cornering speeds.

And then we can get into left foot braking (which is NOT NOT NOT faster around a loving track and nor is it for just straight braking) when I'll use that to further make the car do exactly what I want around corner. Most auto's and DCT get upset when left foot braking properly esp if there's electronic stability and traction controls enabled. Example would be that I'll use left foot braking to adjust the car balance in a WRX while keeping the throttle firmly on the floor around EC turn 1 without issue. A real lot of more ESC and TC enabled cars poo poo themselves but so far I havent found a auto equipped car that particularly responds well to what I can do in the manual car and DCT's tend to have electronics in the way so......

And just LOL CVT's around a track.

Having that fine grain control really does make a difference - and this is I think most important - it gives you confidence that yes you can take that corner and the car isnt going to do something that upsets your stupidity. That said I've heard that Porsche PDK's let you go stupid mode and are a smidge faster as a result but as I havent driven one, no comment.

I'll shut up now as if I dont this'll reach page after excruciating page of older man yells at clouds

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think there's a real possibility that CVTs with a full-on manual ratio control could be really useful in racing, like say you could use your normal shifting hand to manually select the exact ratio you want at any given moment without having to touch a clutch, with detents at certain ratios and the ability to sweep smoothly between them. Or possibly computer control default but with performance chosen over fuel economy and comfort, but with a button you can hold down while loving with the lever to tweak the computer's choice, within the limits of the engine so you never have to worry about money-shifting either, just cram the manual lever into the firewall if you want deepest ratio possible. Imagine being able to keep the engine perfectly at its torque peak throughout an entire launch, but then be able to choose to dump it into a lower ratio for engine braking or hard acceleration without any time wasted clutch-in.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone's really done it because it's easier to slam in a manual and probably 90-95% of the same results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kastein posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone's really done it because it's easier to slam in a manual and probably 90-95% of the same results.

Williams from what I recall did. It was a fairly unmitigated disaster as cars and going fast just do not go hand in hand with what a CVT is good at - droning at next to zero rpm on a freeway. Also they are laggy and slow to respond which kills your throttle response.

TBH while we can talk poo poo about manuals and auto / DCT's and go on about plusses and minuses we can all be united in distain for CVT's and the fuckwit car maker that are forcing those terrible things onto us.