Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Midjack posted:

Username/post content checks out.

Ha, yeah. And uh sorry for how long that got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, truck RC people are very much their own very cool group

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Computer viking posted:

Ha, yeah. And uh sorry for how long that got.

No worries, it's very interesting!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Computer viking posted:

Oh, but it's worse.

Norway has two official languages: Norwegian and Sami. There are two official forms of Norwegian, and three official forms of Sami, plus the official minority languages (Kven, Romani, Romanes, and Norwegian sign language).

Sami is geographically limited to some countries in the North, where you are guaranteed the right to communicate with the government in Sami. The Norwegian forms are national: Each county can pick it's preferred form, but you're supposed to get written answers in the form you wrote in wherever you live.

Of course, they are completely mutually intelligible. It's basically an artifact of standardizing a written language fairly late in a country with a very varied set of dialects, where the admin/city speech was heavily shaped by our Danish overlords. Bokmål (book-tongue), the largest and historically "city/prestige" form is still basically modernized Danish, while nynorsk ("new Norwegian") was constructed in the late 1800s from a broad selection of dialects deemed to be the least Danified ones.

This works out to nynorsk having a lot of alternate forms, with the ideal being "speak dialect, write nynorsk"; it's a flexible framework. Bokmål is more opinionated, has a tad less grammar, and holds the "BBC English" position in many peoples' minds despite official policy for many decades being that the two are of equal status and worth. (Both are also written-only forms, technically I speak a bokmål-near dialect). This also works out to things like national broadcasting and government publications having a mandated amount of nynorsk, something like 20%.

Also, nynorsk had enough of a "backwards farmer" smell that some people crossed out the "Noreg" spelling to write in "Norge" back when we started printing it on one of the bank notes in the 1980s.

And that is enough Norwegian language politics for a long long time.

Jesus Christ. This sounds like trying to learn to read and write and speak is about as difficult as getting 64 bit drivers for windows XP was in the mid to late 00s

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

Jesus Christ. This sounds like trying to learn to read and write and speak is about as difficult as getting 64 bit drivers for windows XP was in the mid to late 00s

I learned Norwegian in the Lofoten islands which, I came to learn, has a very different dialect from the rest of the country. It's a fun mess.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

No wonder Iceland just made their own language that was completely different from the rest of the Norse.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

No wonder Iceland just made their own language that was completely different from the rest of the Norse.

Iceland is an island and their language is essentially old Norwegian, they didn't have all the influences that changed their language like the mainland. In fact, there's a whole committee in Iceland to keep the language as pure as possible. I can speak some Icelandic (poorly), and it is a strange one.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

kastein posted:

It's not really that bad (actually, having maintained one XP64 machine, it's nowhere near that bad) - but imagine that you also had to spend a bit of time learning "commonwealth English" (a flexible system than can handle writing Australian and Scottish dialect) in school and that one in five NPR programs were in New Zealandic.

Oh, and if you worked at DOT you technically had to respond in a vague approximation of Commonwealth spelling when people sent you emails in non-US English - but nobody ever audited it.

At least we don't actually have to learn Sami. It's about as close to Norwegian and English as Japanese.

Nynorsk (or Bokmål, if nynorsk is your main form) is almost universally hated at school age - more work for a language we understand anyway? On the positive side, I now find nynorsk sort of fun: it's like a window into an alternate timeline version of Norwegian, and the uncompromising embrace of weird dialect forms makes for some punchy sentences.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 12, 2020

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Nynorsk (or Bokmål, if nynorsk is your main form) is almost universally hated at school age - more work for a language we understand anyway? On the positive side, I now find nynorsk sort of fun: it's like a window into an alternate timeline version of Norwegian, and the uncompromising embrace of weird dialect forms makes for some punchy sentences.

I've been learning Norwegian and indiscriminately following Norwegian twitter accounts, and it's always fun when I find one in Nynorsk because it'll be slightly harder to understand and I'll be confused until I notice an "eg" instead of "jeg".

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ha, I can imagine. I wonder if the Spanish learners have the same thing with Mexican and European?

Also, may I ask what inspired you to learn Norwegian in the first place? I like it and all (though I may have a bias), but it's hardly the most useful or culturally significant language around. :)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I know that people who learned Spanish in the US typically learned Mexican Spanish, and they have trouble when they take that to Spain.

I started learning Norwegian to prep for a business trip. I wound up really liking the language and the country and I discovered that there's an American-Scandinavian Foundation cultural center between my former office and my apartment, so I started taking formal classes. I already speak somewhat-decent German from high school and the similarities between German and Norwegian have made it a little easier.

The eventual goal, assuming I survive this country long enough that Schengen Area countries start letting me in again, is to explore the possibility of living and working somewhere in Europe.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 13, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I took German for some reason in high school, but I'm pretty sure at my high school in Los Angeles they taught "proper" Spanish Spanish rather than Mexican Spanish. However, the Spanish I picked up working at McDonald's was probably so full of slang that it barely qualified as Mexican Spanish.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I went out on the town in Southern Spain with a bunch of Latino guys who spoke fluent Spanish, and yeah, apparently it's possible to communicate, but tough.

Much like when we went to Northern Scotland, and it's often difficult to communicate with the locals in English, ironically more difficult than communicating with the Norwegians up in Bergen, who all seem to speak perfect unaccented English.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I thought that if our Mexican carpenter can communicate effectively with our Brazilian subcontractors and our Polish carpenters could get a solid conversation with the Ukrainian HVAC guys, I'd be able to understand a bit of my brother in law when he speaks Norwegian with his family and that's a hard no
Norwegian sounds familiar, but it's like a cipher, like every other syllable is switched with a random one

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Door Frame posted:

I thought that if our Mexican carpenter can communicate effectively with our Brazilian subcontractors and our Polish carpenters could get a solid conversation with the Ukrainian HVAC guys, I'd be able to understand a bit of my brother in law when he speaks Norwegian with his family and that's a hard no
Norwegian sounds familiar, but it's like a cipher, like every other syllable is switched with a random one

Ah so it's like english to scottish.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Not the biggest failure ever, but still a pain to fix.

That's what 360k miles gets you I suppose, and as a bonus the new head's lobes are a good 1-2mm longer than the old worn down ones.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Wasabi the J posted:

Ah so it's like english to scottish.

English had the great vowel shift and being an island and the Norman French thing, so it's drifted kind of far from the rest of the family. Not that I could talk to a German without having had some classes in school, either - the only places that seems to happen is inside the German family (dutch/Afrikaans/high German/the dialects/whatever Swiss German is) and inside the Scandinavian family (Norwegian/Swedish/Danish are more or less mutually intelligible, though the Danes speak really weird). Icelandic is vaguely understandable but mostly in the "oh yeah, now that I have the translation it makes sense" way; I doubt I could talk with them. Føroysk seems like a slightly worn down Icelandic, so ... maybe? I suspect they understand the Icelanders, at least.

Rumor has it English farmers used to vaguely understand the Frisian farmers across the channel a few centuries ago, too, which makes linguistic sense.

Oh, and I'm a firm believer that Scottish is a genuinely separate language, which I guess would give English one sibling language with reasonable mutual understanding. See Scots Leid om the utterly fascinating Scots Wikipedia.

Safety Dance: If you're in the small number of Americans who already know some German, that immediately makes more sense. And yeah, whenever all this is over, speaking the language should hopefully help you skip ahead in the queue. :)
(Also, the american-norwegian clubs are ... I don't know, odd to me. I sort of want to visit one in the US to see what they're actually like. )

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 14, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Elviscat posted:

I went out on the town in Southern Spain with a bunch of Latino guys who spoke fluent Spanish, and yeah, apparently it's possible to communicate, but tough.

Much like when we went to Northern Scotland, and it's often difficult to communicate with the locals in English, ironically more difficult than communicating with the Norwegians up in Bergen, who all seem to speak perfect unaccented English.

I studied Spanish academically for 5 years, but never immersed myself and all it's really useful for is eavesdropping on Spanish speakers and figuring out what to order at restaurants without having to Google things.

What I do remember very well was that we spent a lot of time on regional dialects and accents, so it makes perfect sense that an Argentine speaker and a Mexican speaker and a Spaniard speaker wouldn't be super compatible. We spent a lot of time on regional vocabulary for some reason. It actually came in useful exactly once, when I met someone from Argentina and said, "Como está usted?" in a shaky but recognizable Argentine accent, and they had questions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does that mean something different in Argentina?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Cojawfee posted:

Does that mean something different in Argentina?

No, it just sounds different.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Computer viking posted:

(Also, the american-norwegian clubs are ... I don't know, odd to me. I sort of want to visit one in the US to see what they're actually like. )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvaeuaSrVm8

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Computer viking posted:

In NYC, Scandanavia House is where you go if you want to buy kvikk lunsj and see Ingmar Bergman films (or else you work for Scania and you're trying to sell big contracts to American firms), and Sjømanskirken is a regular church that also does a 17. Mai thing and sells fiskeboller. It's really nothing special. I'm not sure what kind of clubs you're talking about

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

This was shared in a discord server I'm in, I have no idea what happened here or how.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Safety Dance posted:

In NYC, Scandanavia House is where you go if you want to buy kvikk lunsj and see Ingmar Bergman films (or else you work for Scania and you're trying to sell big contracts to American firms), and Sjømanskirken is a regular church that also does a 17. Mai thing and sells fiskeboller. It's really nothing special. I'm not sure what kind of clubs you're talking about

Last time I helped arrange a conference, the other group at the hotel was some US/Norwegian organisation that had arranged a trip to the old country - I believe they where from north Dakota or thereabouts, but I was too busy to really talk to them. They seemed friendly enough, but I just kind of wonder what they do outside the 17th of May and the (presumably very sporadic) trips. Waffles and brown cheese sales? Sponsoring students in both directions? Excuse to drink akevitt around Christmas?

I'm aware of Sjømannskirken, but that's more of a "for Norwegians abroad" - I'm thinking more about the "our grandparents emigrated together" ones you get up towards the Canadian border.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rorac posted:

This was shared in a discord server I'm in, I have no idea what happened here or how.

That's... a brand new truck, wtf.

:psypop:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Either a Monday or Friday build. :v:

With the way that top wheel is broken off, and the dent in the bed, it looks like maybe it got smacked right on the wheel by someone? There's other cars pulled over too (witnesses?).

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Rorac posted:

Guy loves towing so much, he decided to tow his rear axle.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Rorac posted:

The all new Ford HoverTruck.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Now that is a set of truck nuts.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Last time I helped arrange a conference, the other group at the hotel was some US/Norwegian organisation that had arranged a trip to the old country - I believe they where from north Dakota or thereabouts, but I was too busy to really talk to them. They seemed friendly enough, but I just kind of wonder what they do outside the 17th of May and the (presumably very sporadic) trips. Waffles and brown cheese sales? Sponsoring students in both directions? Excuse to drink akevitt around Christmas?

Oh, I have no idea! Kick themselves for leaving before all the oil money started pouring in?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Computer viking posted:

<Fascinating info on Norwegian languages>

At least you have one or more official languages.
The US has none, other than the de facto English, which, given how many people *in* the US speak (Mexican) Spanish, may not be de facto a whole lot longer. Pretty much all government forms are in both. I often wonder how that makes our fairly numerous Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese citizens feel.

Godholio posted:

Looks like a Gen 1, not an LS.

Bitchin.

It'll do.

Computer viking posted:

Ha, I can imagine. I wonder if the Spanish learners have the same thing with Mexican and European?

From what I have been told, yes.
And Puerto Rican Spanish is closer to European Spanish, according to Puerto Ricans I know. Or at least, they said: "he's speaking Mexican, not Spanish!"

Computer viking posted:

There are groups for every culture here, pretty much, since we're such a melting pot of, well, everything. Just sort of a preserve some of the culture thing. There's a Greek Orthodox church in my neighborhood, and they have the *best* Greek Food Fest every year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I briefly considered learning a Scandinavian language, but after touring Sweden and constantly being corrected on how to pronounce "tack" and a tour guide in Iceland rolling his eyes every time I tried to emulate his pronunciation of Landmannalaugar I decided it was a lost cause and gave up.

So I'll just be stereotypical Ignorant American Tourist from here on out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Computer viking posted:

My mother stays in contact with one such group mainly to learn where to buy lutefisk each Christmas. Twenty years ago you could get it at the Safeway but it's getting harder to find.

I'm the only one in the family that likes akvavit... you'd think compared to lutefisk it'd be an easy sell.

By the way, it is possible to grill lutefisk, but very challenging. We stick to baking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Darchangel posted:

At least you have one or more official languages.
The US has none, other than the de facto English, which, given how many people *in* the US speak (Mexican) Spanish, may not be de facto a whole lot longer. Pretty much all government forms are in both. I often wonder how that makes our fairly numerous Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese citizens feel.

When I lived in Boston, documents were available in Vietnamese, Chinese, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, and Kreyol Ayisyen off the top of my head.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

My mother stays in contact with one such group mainly to learn where to buy lutefisk each Christmas.

WHY??????

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'll just say in Norway, the by far most popular Christmas dishes are ribbe (oven roast pork ribs, with the skin crisped to pork rinds) and pinnekjøtt (salted dried lamb, steamed over birch sticks).

Not that lutefisk doesn't happen, it's just more of a general winter thing. And I've so far avoided having it; nobody in my family especially enjoy it. (My boss does, but generously allow us to go for pinnekjøtt instead at the department Christmas dinner. She only pays for an akevitt if you have the fish, though.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 15, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

I briefly considered learning a Scandinavian language, but after touring Sweden and constantly being corrected on how to pronounce "tack" and a tour guide in Iceland rolling his eyes every time I tried to emulate his pronunciation of Landmannalaugar I decided it was a lost cause and gave up.

So I'll just be stereotypical Ignorant American Tourist from here on out.

It generally works to your advantage not to reveal that you understand the local language when you’re doing extremely touristy things because you can overhear hucksters talking about their hilarious ripoffs and avoid them.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Darchangel posted:

I've seen some signage in the Portland (Oregon) area that includes Korean, Japanese and Chinese in addition to the usual English and Spanish. I think I remember there being one more language but I didn't recognize it (maybe Vietnamese). I don't know that federal forms and such will get more languages but locally it may become common.

e: added a state

Galler fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 16, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The selection of languages of the official signage in the NYC subways always makes me blink. English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, and Haitian Creole

It’s an amazingly cool sort of Rosetta Stone.

Efb by Boston dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Turns out pinion bearings really prefer it if you keep the oil topped up