Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What are everything but the first and last pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cody
Mar 8, 2004
-----
broken PCV pipe?
loose exhaust flange?
worn suspension bush?

cody fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 21, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Now I want to combine this with the "musical road" tuned rumble strips, so it plays Dixieland when you drive over the hatched area.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

cody posted:

broken PCV pipe?
loose exhaust flange?
worn suspension bush?

1. 2. both exhaust flanges aren't just loose, they are broken in such a manner that that's as tight as they get. One's missing a stud, the other, I don't know exactly, but it refuses to fit where it's supposed to. Stripped studs too. 3. 50 YEAR OLD worn suspension bush.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

It's not that terrible, but it pissed me off.
I was wondering why the supercharger wasn't kicking on--

Ohhh.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I just got done with a 1,500 mile ride on the motorcycle and was surprised at just how many drive belts I saw on the shoulders of various roads. All sorts and sizes of serpentine and V belts, well over a dozen. I never noticed while driving, guess you just see more when you're on the bike.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I'm in new Zealand, we have an upper weight limit on our trucks that was only lifted recently. There are no such ramps in the north island, where I live, as far as I've seen. There may be some in the south island but I'm not aware of it. The overwhelming majority of very long straight sloped roads are motorways which are totally enclosed; there aren't many (or any) mountain roads I can think of that trucks actually use because most mountains are usually circumvented.

This is really interesting and I genuinely had no idea such things existed until reading this forum!

The other interesting thing to remember is that here in NZ the rules about weight and brake limits per axle are half the rest of the world. Which means that our standard milk tankers ie Fonterra are Rated and licensed to weigh no more then 48 tons, despite having 8 axles across the entire Unit. You can get heavier truck and these can be seen via those fluorescent 'H' on the front and back

So looking at that image 48/8 is 6 tons (6000kgs) per axle where as those axles are rated at 10/11 tonnes from the factory. Another reason for the massive overbraking on HGV in NZ is due to the lack of those emergency roads. Often with many roads lacking the space. The road that joat mon posted has definitely been installed as a result of campervans and tourists.

But this is not the trucking thread.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Don't think this is quite right somehow.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Valve dropped and munched the piston, if the block is to be saved it will need to be bored about .020 over. The nut on the valve spring retainer was missing, either it backed off or it was never there.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Surely if it had backed off it would still be in there somewhere? It doesn't seem like there's anywhere for it to go.

What is that out of?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Looks like a Honda VTEC engine of some sort.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Surely if it had backed off it would still be in there somewhere? It doesn't seem like there's anywhere for it to go.

What is that out of?

it is a honda H22a1

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That had to make a noise.

The ~200 mile old water pump from my Ranger:

Close up:

Closer up:

Bearing end:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Billy Tully posted:

Looks like a Honda VTEC engine of some sort.

drat, you beat me to it. I was going to make a "VTEC just kicked in, yo" joke of some sort. :(

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That had to make a noise.

The ~200 mile old water pump from my Ranger:

Close up:

Closer up:

Bearing end:

What's with you and waterpumps?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

mungtor posted:

Good luck with the install of the new shifter. I put a GMM Ripshift in my '04 and it was one of the most tedious things I've ever done. There's one bolt that you can only get 1/8 of a turn on at a time with the clearance between the tranny and the tunnel. If you're OK with it, you might want to drop the exhaust and the transmission brace to give yourself more room. If I had to do it all over again, I would just drill a hole in the tunnel from the top (or buy a set of ratcheting box wrenches). Also, Locktite the poo poo out of everything.

Thanks for the heads up, mine is an '04 as well. Seeing how this just arrived today, I've got my work cut out for me:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 23, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InterceptorV8 posted:

What's with you and waterpumps?

I don't know. It was probably right about 11 years ago when I had the pump on my old 350 full-on loving shatter, I wish I hadn't lost the pics in a hard drive failure.

It's not like most of them have given me poo poo, though. The one that replaced the shattered one lasted until the engine got yanked. The Volvo's and MS3's never gave me any trouble, and the Miata's I replaced when I spotted a very slow leak during a timing belt swap. I had to replace this one the first time because the PO thought RTV belonged on O-ring gaskets.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't know. It was probably right about 11 years ago when I had the pump on my old 350 full-on loving shatter, I wish I hadn't lost the pics in a hard drive failure.

It's not like most of them have given me poo poo, though. The one that replaced the shattered one lasted until the engine got yanked. The Volvo's and MS3's never gave me any trouble, and the Miata's I replaced when I spotted a very slow leak during a timing belt swap. I had to replace this one the first time because the PO thought RTV belonged on O-ring gaskets.

That sucks. When I fixed my kids' stupidly overpowered quad a month or so ago I realised someone had been tampering. The carburettor had a sort of phenolic spacer with an O-ringed groove in it, which also housed a nice slathering of RTV. This same person had also snapped a chunk off the edge of the spacer and pinched the O ring. Some people, I swear.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

0toShifty posted:

VW mechanic?

VW keeps the flywheel on the transmission side.

CommieGIR posted:

They changed this later, it was mostly an 80's model and earlier thing.

This style was used all the way up to the '99.5 Golf/Jetta bodystyle. Basically anything that had an NA 4 cyl. motor from '74-'99.5.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

0toShifty posted:

VW keeps the flywheel on the transmission side.

Is there an advantage to doing this?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well, because it's different, therefor

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

There's the right way, there's the wrong way, and then there's the (Superior) German Way.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fucknag posted:

There's the right way, there's the wrong way, and then there's the (Superior) German Way.

Then there is the British way, like some 1950s Austin/Morris running hydraulic front brakes and cable operated rear brakes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You Am I posted:

Then there is the British way, like some 1950s Austin/Morris running hydraulic front brakes and cable operated rear brakes

Or the land rover gearbox with the internal slave cylinder and the sliding shaft sleeve seal :allears:

gently caress you land rover.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Which is the wrong way, only more expensive.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Horrible brazing failure. Coolant transfer/heater pipe on a Kia Sportage. It just sort of...cracked right along the braze and a slight tug made it fall to bits.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

xp67 posted:

Is there an advantage to doing this?

Superior German Engineering. If it doesn't work, add banjo bolts, seals, custom-formed brazed metal tube assemblies, single-use jesus clips, and EGR coolers until it still doesn't work.

Audi 1.8t emissions system, I'm looking at you. gently caress you. Yeah, that's right, gently caress you.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Powershift posted:

Which is the wrong way, only more expensive.

No...It's the wrong way decades ago, but years and millions of dollars were spent on engineering it into being nearly as good as the right way.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

Fucknag posted:

There is also the American way, which is throw the cheapest crap you can find and bolt it together with some hose clamps and mixed metric/imperial bolts.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

And the Japanese way, pack everything into a 1 cubic meter engine bay.

Is there any country without some complaint like that, really?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Fucknag posted:

Sweden. :chord:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Saab are/were Swedish too ya know. :colbert:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

And the Japanese way, pack everything into a 1 cubic meter engine bay.

We had a whole thread about this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3548943

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Do everything right, put engine in backwards.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Dave Inc. posted:

Do everything right, put engine in backwards.

Excuse me, I believe you're thinking of Honda.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Splizwarf posted:

Excuse me, I believe you're thinking of Honda.

I've never quite grasped that, fresh air comes in the front, exhaust goes out the back.

Lets put the exhaust out the front of the engine and take the fresh air in from the back!

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
It's so the engine can spin the wrong way, duh.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kastein posted:

Superior German Engineering. If it doesn't work, add banjo bolts, seals, custom-formed brazed metal tube assemblies, single-use jesus clips, and EGR coolers until it still doesn't work.

Audi 1.8t emissions system, I'm looking at you. gently caress you. Yeah, that's right, gently caress you.

Swap a thermostat housing on the transverse version of that engine sometime.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

D C posted:

I've never quite grasped that, fresh air comes in the front, exhaust goes out the back.

Lets put the exhaust out the front of the engine and take the fresh air in from the back!

You'll find this on the smaller displacement full race motorcycles too... Moto1/Moto2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

D C posted:

This is how it's been laid out on every FWD car I've worked on. :confused: