Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVwHwfFAFDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
VW/Audi we can assume?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The fuel gauge of my rover does that too. but for different reasons.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

My friend got a call from his mom saying that on her drive home from work, her Infiniti SUV started "handling funny" He had her take a look and send him a picture, so he got this, with her asking if it was ok to drive on for a bit or not, at which point he threw his tools in his car, took the rest of the day off, and zoomed down a few hours to her house to replace her control arms.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

I offered to replace his subframe if he got the parts, but he insisted we try pulling it out.

I am surprised that didn't gently caress up the threads more. That actually seems repairable. How did the radiator support look? What about the door hinges and check rod? Under the fender should be fine, at worst the support bracket (57790FA000) will be bent and require a replacement (a good opportunity to pull the other fender too and install firewall-to-fender braces). The foam on the support bracket will be done for, so I removed it from the old bracket and wrapped the tip of the bracket in duct tape until the wad of tape's thickness matched the original foam.

Replacement subframes are inexpensive and common but somewhat expensive to ship. If he plays his cards right he could probably get one that would allow him to run a GD or GC turbo front swaybar.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 28, 2013

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
HOLY poo poo! :psyboom:

How old is the car?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Viper915 posted:

My friend got a call from his mom saying that on her drive home from work, her Infiniti SUV started "handling funny" He had her take a look and send him a picture, so he got this, with her asking if it was ok to drive on for a bit or not, at which point he threw his tools in his car, took the rest of the day off, and zoomed down a few hours to her house to replace her control arms.

:stonk:

Does she work at a slushy salt mine?

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

VW/Audi we can assume?
That depends... do they use synchros for fuel level signalling?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Viper915 posted:

:f5h::stonk:

I want to see the rest of the car and control arms. Also yeah, how old is that thing? It can't be all THAT old!

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Tsuru posted:

That depends... do they use synchros for fuel level signalling?

It's VAG. You can tell by the 1/1, 1/2, 0 markings on the fuel gauge.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Frinkahedron posted:

Funny but I wonder if a salt mine would be really bad or really good for a car's chassis. Yes there is a lot of salt, but there is probably also going to be the lowest humidity possible. I could see it having a preservative effect.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I am surprised that didn't gently caress up the threads more. That actually seems repairable. How did the radiator support look? What about the door hinges and check rod? Under the fender should be fine, at worst the support bracket (57790FA000) will be bent and require a replacement (a good opportunity to pull the other fender too and install firewall-to-fender braces). The foam on the support bracket will be done for, so I removed it from the old bracket and wrapped the tip of the bracket in duct tape until the wad of tape's thickness matched the original foam.

Replacement subframes are inexpensive and common but somewhat expensive to ship. If he plays his cards right he could probably get one that would allow him to run a GD or GC turbo front swaybar.

radiator support and door is OK. looks like it slide sidways into the curb and not forward. the rim was broken in two, and the way the LCA is bent makes it look like it was hit from the side. There is no apparant tweakage to the unitbody either. He's a very. very. lucky guy.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

Viper915 posted:

Jesus. Do you live in Montreal? What does the body look like?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

revmoo posted:

Funny but I wonder if a salt mine would be really bad or really good for a car's chassis. Yes there is a lot of salt, but there is probably also going to be the lowest humidity possible. I could see it having a preservative effect.

I know it's not saying much but I remember seeing an episode of that lovely jobs show with that guy that looks kind of like the late Jim Varney. He was down a salt mine, not open cut. The transports they used were hacked up old cars. I figured they used them because things rusted to nothing down there pretty quickly.

Also I'm glad that lady didn't drive any further in that vehicle. It looked like it just barely made it home. That is scary poo poo. What really gets me is everything else around it looks like it's in pretty good condition. Perhaps the manufacturer forgot to paint it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

radiator support and door is OK. looks like it slide sidways into the curb and not forward. the rim was broken in two, and the way the LCA is bent makes it look like it was hit from the side. There is no apparant tweakage to the unitbody either. He's a very. very. lucky guy.

Sounds like the control arm did its job - the stamped steel units like to bend for exactly this reason. :) Don't let him get Al arms if he's going to drive that way.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
He bought another stockie to put on. Its mostly stock aside from headers. Its a slushbox too.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Jeez Mac! What kinda gas did you say you put in again?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

General_Failure posted:

I know it's not saying much but I remember seeing an episode of that lovely jobs show with that guy that looks kind of like the late Jim Varney. He was down a salt mine, not open cut. The transports they used were hacked up old cars. I figured they used them because things rusted to nothing down there pretty quickly.

Also I'm glad that lady didn't drive any further in that vehicle. It looked like it just barely made it home. That is scary poo poo. What really gets me is everything else around it looks like it's in pretty good condition. Perhaps the manufacturer forgot to paint it.

They bring the cars down the in the skip, ssh they cut then in half to fit. Also, the lifespan is no more than a few years. Fork trucks last about five with really good maintenance.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

insta posted:

It's VAG. You can tell by the 1/1, 1/2, 0 markings on the fuel gauge.

On top of that it looks just like the gauge layout in my passat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This isn't a mechanical failure, it's a "Remembering handbrake on boat ramp" failure.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You know what else a friend of mine discovered you should remember on the boat ramp?

The drain plugs that let the bilge drain out :suicide:

Fortunately discovered before leaving the boat ramp, so he just put them in and pumped it out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sounds delightful.

Found that image from just clicking about on Imgur, the same's true for the below, though it's a bit more :stare: inducing.

The guy pictured was the passenger, clipped behind the ear by it after it bounced off the driver's shoulder.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
How about 'repairing a horrible mechanical failure'

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Speaking of not so mechanical failures. Here is a turtle that was kicked up on the highway and went through someones windshield. It somehow survived and proceeded to crawl around in the car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Valt posted:

Speaking of not so mechanical failures. Here is a turtle that was kicked up on the highway and went through someones windshield. It somehow survived and proceeded to crawl around in the car.

It was okay after that, right? :ohdear:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

CommieGIR posted:

It was okay after that, right? :ohdear:

Looks like just a windshield, no worries. :)

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Four blowouts at the British GP today. Five if you count the failure yesterday. What makes these failure so loving horrible is if you see any video of the incidents. The tires were fine, fine, wobble, boom. Nothing left. It's not like in years past were the tire deflates and the driver had a chance to slow down. It's actually a miracle that nobody was killed given the size of the rubber bits they ejected.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...s-in-British-GP

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Aurune posted:

F1 Spoilers

Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Savington posted:

Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, you could have used the Torro Rosso that had no effect on the race.

It was a better explosion anyways

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

1st Edition ADandD posted:

Jesus. Do you live in Montreal? What does the body look like?

Beach Bum posted:

:f5h::stonk:

I want to see the rest of the car and control arms. Also yeah, how old is that thing? It can't be all THAT old!

Frinkahedron posted:

G-Mach posted:

HOLY poo poo! :psyboom:

How old is the car?

It's only a 2003 or so, in Mass maybe an hour outside of Boston. Car has like 230,000 miles on it and is in otherwise great shape, although it burns a bit of oil now. The upper control arms are even aluminum so they're perfectly fine!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Picture of horrible quality control failure?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 4, 2013

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

I scratched my head for a bit before figuring out what was wrong.

Nothing is wrong, that's just a Ford 4.6 spark plug.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:psypop:

Wait, what?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

:thejoke:

Ford 4.6s blow plugs out on a routine, almost timed, basis.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

The best part is that IROC looks on.

quote:

<&ACE> CHEVY WINS AGAIN BITCH

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Devyl posted:

:thejoke:

Ford 4.6s blow plugs out on a routine, almost timed, basis.

They were TOLD that that was going to happen but they didn't believe it. Welp.

Champion plugs are pretty awful, quality-wise. I can't go into details but seriously, don't buy Champion (or e3 or torch, who are jokes) and stick with NGK or Denso, or Bosch if you hate Japan.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

totalnewbie posted:

They were TOLD that that was going to happen but they didn't believe it. Welp.

Champion plugs are pretty awful, quality-wise. I can't go into details but seriously, don't buy Champion (or e3 or torch, who are jokes) and stick with NGK or Denso, or Bosch if you hate Japan.

I don't even use Champion in the lawn mower. :v:

Used NGK in everything I've owned except for my very first car (I was 17 and dumb). Current car has Delcos from the factory, and it's getting somewhat close to time to change them (not by miles - just broke 73k - but it's 8 years old, and doesn't seem to start as easy as it used to) - totalnewbie, any experience with NGKs in the GM Ecotec (2.2)? I know they run like absolute garbage with Bosch, but the plugs also have a tapered seat (something I've never dealt with). I'm used to crush washers. :downs:

But uh, yeah. I knew 4.6's blew out plugs, I'm still trying to figure out why that plug I posted was "right" though. It's brand new, so I'm... probably being a bit dense, but still confused. :iiam:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've never had a problem with the Champions I put in my jeeps, but then again they're 4.0s, they'd probably work fine if I stuffed a crackpipe and a chunk of bell wire in there.

That plug sure looks about as removable as the pile of poo poo plugs I had to take out of a junkyard head I put on a 2.2 OHV Cavalier last fall. gently caress, what a lovely car, with a lovely engine and lovely plugs to boot. I sure hope no one ever has to do the plugs in that pile again because one of them did NOT come out nicely. I think the aluminum the head was made from was mostly cheese or perhaps some variety of styrofoam and GM had their usual brilliant idea of using a conical seat plug, too. It was also seized in place with dirt and road salt plus corrosion.

Fortunately I'd be shocked if that car sees another 50k miles, nevermind the 75-100 it would take to wear out a set of plugs. I hope it gets rear-ended by someone with really good insurance so the idiot friend of a friend who bought it for like 5k off a "buy here pay here" lot gets their money back out of it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I don't even use Champion in the lawn mower. :v:

Used NGK in everything I've owned except for my very first car (I was 17 and dumb). Current car has Delcos from the factory, and it's getting somewhat close to time to change them (not by miles - just broke 73k - but it's 8 years old, and doesn't seem to start as easy as it used to) - totalnewbie, any experience with NGKs in the GM Ecotec (2.2)? I know they run like absolute garbage with Bosch, but the plugs also have a tapered seat (something I've never dealt with). I'm used to crush washers. :downs:

But uh, yeah. I knew 4.6's blew out plugs, I'm still trying to figure out why that plug I posted was "right" though. It's brand new, so I'm... probably being a bit dense, but still confused. :iiam:

You're overthinking it. There's nothing to hold that plug in the head... just like 4.6 plugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Yea, the OEM plug in that engine is NGK part number ILTR5B11

GM currently and will forever insist on conical seat spark plugs because they think there is a technical advantage over gaskets. Kind of obvious, I guess, but it's not just because they think it looks prettier. Also, it's the same reason why GM spark plugs don't have a corrugated insulator while other makers use corrugation.

This is mostly for GMNAO - if you look at spark plugs from engines developed by GME, for example, you can find gaskets and corrugation.