Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Well, when a car is still burning oil and 75/90 WT gear oil just isn't cutting it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
:chef: You can tell a roast is done when it pulls away from the pan and begins to shriek and spray bearing material. Everybody dig in!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Safety Dance posted:

I guess, like churning milk into butter, you can churn some oils into wax.
When I saw that image on my tablet earlier it genuinely looked like someone had melted a candle into there.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

Willfrey posted:

Well, when a car is still burning oil and 75/90 WT gear oil just isn't cutting it...

75W-90 Gear oil is only as viscous as 10W-40 or 20W-50 engine oil.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Another one for the electrical failures/ PO fuckery files..

Mates 1988 GQ patrol- 4.2L carby petrol on LPG.

That's the mountain of useless and dodgy wiring we pulled out of the engine bay and under the dash in the last two days.

Highlights include:

LH low beam not working due to the fuse being loose in the holder and not contacting properly. Solution: unfused relay hacked into the RH low beam with a wire threaded across the top of the radiator to the other headlight.

Relay for the A/C condenser fan failed. Solution- cut off trigger wire from AC circuit. Cut compressor clutch wire, wrap two ends together after stripping, jam into bullet connector and tape. Other end of bullet connector had a wire that ran across the engine bay to the relay bank where it was jammed into the fan side of the dead relay. The entire current of a 10" fan was being pulled off the a/c clutch circuit...

The wiper motor had a random wire patched off it going to the positive battery terminal. Removing this wire changed nothing

EVERY single fuse in the vehicle was a 30A fuse. The fuse block calls for a single 20A and the rest are a blend of 10 and 15A

A very cheap and nasty remote locking and immobiliser system was duct taped to the steering column. The wiring for the immobiliser was scotch locked to all the wrong places- power feeds off the brake switch, nothing fused etc. the actual immobilising was done by a 20A relay under the bonnet. With coloured wiring... The only reason the car actually loving started was that drawing all the current for the starter to lock in the solenoid melted the relay permanently closed!

Last one was the stereo. The previous owner had simply twisted all the tails of the power wires- 12v constant, 12v ACC switched and illumination together, twisted them to a length of wire, twisted THAT to the ignition ON switched feed for the gas control switches and wrapped the whole mess with electrical tape. The rear speakers were wired to the front speakers. The original stereo wiring was just cut off and left floating around under the dash live and un insulated. There was no earth for the stereo.

I know he only paid $2400 for it, but loving hell that was a mess.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Opensourcepirate posted:

75W-90 Gear oil is only as viscous as 10W-40 or 20W-50 engine oil.

It's funny how most people don't realise this. I've convinced several people of this only by pointing out that my motorbike has a gearbox swimming in 10w-40, which itself is rated to 75w-90 as gearoil.

edit: holy poo poo the post above me! It's the definition of someone who knows just enough to be dangerous. I'd kill for a safari for that kind of price though.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 11, 2013

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

its a god drat miracle that the drat thing hadnt burnt to the ground yet!

140W diff oils a shitload thicker than engine oil though. Its a pain in the arse to pump into the diffs on the lux because of the lockers in there. The VMX 80 I use in my gearboxes however is thinner than the 5W-30 Synth I put into the better halfs Tiida!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ferremit posted:

its a god drat miracle that the drat thing hadnt burnt to the ground yet!

140W diff oils a shitload thicker than engine oil though. Its a pain in the arse to pump into the diffs on the lux because of the lockers in there. The VMX 80 I use in my gearboxes however is thinner than the 5W-30 Synth I put into the better halfs Tiida!

Yup, VMX80 feels incredibly thin. Seems to work ok though, based on the old shitters I've rejuvenated with it. Have you ever seen LSD90 which is red? Blew my mind when I first saw it, looks exactly like dex3.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

VMX is awesome in the big heavy gearbox on the cruisers- Gets rid of my mates 80 series 2nd gear crunch completely.

its very life sensitive though- I work on a 40K kms gear oil change, and by 35K kms the gearbox is starting to get notchy again.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Liquid Life Saver mix?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

That's a new one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Took me a minute.

I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often - I see tons of rusty wheels with the worst rust concentrated in that area.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
drat that's nasty.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That makes me feel a slight bit better about having shiny aluminum wheels on my TJ, but I know that one day I'll get major rock rash on them and regret everything.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:v:: I have split rims on my Jeep.
:thumbsup:: Hey, pretty cool, man.
:suicide:: No, not really...

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
So I get a call from my wife today. Her boss is moving and giving away a bunch of furniture and a fridge from her old house. I wanted the fridge for sure, and maybe some of the furniture. An old, longtime customer of mine has a sweet old 86 Chevy 1 ton dualie pickup in the shop at the moment, and I offered him $25 bucks off his bill if I could borrow it for a few hours this afternoon. He said that was fine, and so off I went. Got the fridge loaded up, the furniture was ok, but I didn't wan't any of it personally. On the drive over, I noticed the left front tire dancing a little bit around 30mph, but I just figured it was out of balance and had planned to take a look at it when I got back to the shop.

I didn't make it back to the shop. The loving tread separated on the freeway at 65mph going downhill. Thankfully I was able to maneuver the big bastard onto the shoulder and call a tow.

For a high speed tread separation, I was really expecting more carnage than the bent piece of trim and a curled up fender liner. I put a screw through the trim and coaxed the fender liner back into place with a hammer.

Customer wasn't even mad. Better you than me they said.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
drat. Is the customer replacing the tire, or are you? :)

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

drat. Is the customer replacing the tire, or are you? :)

I paid for the tow back to the shop and the customer will replace their tire since that probably would have happened to them anyway when they came to pick it up.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

DrPain posted:

:stare:

Maybe it's just me, but I would have been in the mood to separate that guy's scalp just like that tread.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Why? It sure as hell isn't the driver's fault either way.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

DrPain posted:

I paid for the tow back to the shop and the customer will replace their tire since that probably would have happened to them anyway when they came to pick it up.

I'm impressed. Very few people have the restraint or state of mind to make a decision like this. Is this guy shady or anything? Is there a good reason why he wouldn't want to show up with an insurance guy, or in court? It would be so easy to get free tires out of this.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DrPain posted:

An old, longtime customer of mine has a sweet old 86 Chevy 1 ton dualie pickup in the shop at the moment, and I offered him $25 bucks off his bill if I could borrow it for a few hours this afternoon. He said that was fine,

If I had to guess, this will explain the questions. And yeah, if someone had a blowout unexpectedly while borrowing my jeeps, I'd wonder which of my offroad abuses had damaged the tire and figure it was better that they ended up having a lovely day than me.

... speaking of which, I need to put "newish set of tires for the XJ" on the list of stuff to buy when I start getting paid. The tires on that thing are a pile of poo poo and none of them even match at this point due to the number of blowouts I've had doing stupid poo poo offroad.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
^^^ that too

Horse Divorce posted:

Is there a good reason why he wouldn't want to show up with an insurance guy, or in court? It would be so easy to get free tires out of this.

Because he's an "old, longtime customer" and they both want to keep it that way. If they were going to fight, Dr.Pain probably would have tried to backcharge for the tow since it was the customer's tire that caused it, but in the end, the cost of fighting would be more than the cost of the tow or tire. Basically, it's a small incident, fairly easy and cheap to fix, why ruin a good business relationship over something like that.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Exactly- the old boys going to tell people about it in a positive light now, if he was a dick about it I guarantee the old guy would tell everyone he knows about it.

Nothing fucks a business harder than negative publicity

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Horse Divorce posted:

I'm impressed. Very few people have the restraint or state of mind to make a decision like this. Is this guy shady or anything? Is there a good reason why he wouldn't want to show up with an insurance guy, or in court? It would be so easy to get free tires out of this.

If the customer was shady I wouldn't have even considered asking to borrow their truck. We work on their entire families vehicles and have bailed them out of many lovely repair situations in the past. Not everyone is out to get any and everything they can for free at the expense of someone else and a trick of the legal system. That set of free tires would cost them finding a new mechanic, and nobody wants that. So much so that it was never even considered. His first question was "are you ok?" and his second "who do you recommend I buy tires from?".

I pulled one of the dualie tires off the left rear and threw it on the left front so they could drive it to the reputable tire store nearby. No spare.

For the record I still gave him the $25 bucks off his job, as promised.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 13, 2013

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

DrPain posted:

If the customer was shady I wouldn't have even considered asking to borrow their truck. We work on their entire families vehicles and have bailed them out of many lovely repair situations in the past. Not everyone is out to get any and everything they can for free at the expense of someone else and a trick of the legal system. That set of free tires would cost them finding a new mechanic, and nobody wants that. So much so that it was never even considered. His first question was "are you ok?" and his second "who do you recommend I buy tires from?".

I pulled one of the dualie tires off the left rear and threw it on the left front so they could drive it to the reputable tire store nearby. No spare.

For the record I still gave him the $25 bucks off his job, as promised.

I guess I'm just a pessimist. In my experience, any "customer" is just a hairline trigger away from trying to rip you off. It's great it all worked out for the best.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
In my experience, customers usually only act like that if the guy behind the counter is a dick.

(It's me, I was the dick behind the counter.)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
For better or worse, both decency and 'gently caress you' tend to be self-fulfilling.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

DrPain posted:

I had this happen at about the same speed on the back of a VW caddy/pickup, full tread flew off leaving just coards and a flat tire.. I noticed it leaking and had filled it up a few miles ago at a gas station. Seemed like it lifted the whole back of that dinky little truck off the ground when it went and drat did it make a bang.

Sounds like a good customer to me.

Unrelated...on my brothers E30. Who can tell me what's wrong with this picture

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 13, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm glad everything went so well with that guy, that kind of thing could so easily become a big mess. I guess that's why he's a long-term customer, huh?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I had this happen at about the same speed on the back of a VW caddy/pickup, full tread flew off leaving just coards and a flat tire.. I noticed it leaking and had filled it up a few miles ago at a gas station. Seemed like it lifted the whole back of that dinky little truck off the ground when it went and drat did it make a bang.

Sounds like a good customer to me.

Unrelated...on my brothers E30. Who can tell me what's wrong with this picture

Missing a bolt on the top right of that support. Missing a support around the bottom right bolt.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Fucknag posted:

Why? It sure as hell isn't the driver's fault either way.

It was more or less a visceral reaction on my part. At any rate, the indignation wouldn't be worth skunking a long-time customer relationship and any future business. poo poo happens.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was looking online for a small trolley jack and came across this review:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Dude's name is probably "Aaron" :downs:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Dick Trauma posted:

I was looking online for a small trolley jack and came across this review:

Which end is the "rad" end? :confused:

Also it appears that someone is confused on what day this "sharting" occured :laugh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

NitroSpazzz posted:

Happened on my F-150 too. Dented the poo poo out of the quarter panel and made a mess of the (pretty much new) exhaust. Except mine somehow still held air. :downs:

Made the truck jump pretty good too.

e: to contribute:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 14, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Looks like an unlimited slip differential.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Looks like someone's welded the crown wheel trying to lock the diff. But no-one's that stupid. Are they?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Supposedly they didn't know how to set up the diff, I don't know enough about diffs to guess though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
I am the ones who are the balllickers.
Grimey Drawer
That's some hella tight camber there!

Oh, poo poo.

You dirty bastard.

Fixing your rally car on stage, not fun. Owning a tow dolly instead of a trailer so you HAVE to fix it, even worse.

And yes, there was a jackstand under there as well. Always leave both in. The full story will come in a day or two in the Alliance Motorsport thread.