Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

rscott posted:

It's pretty amazing that it didn't melt a piston from the lean condition before the exhaust manifold caught everything on fire. Ford should use that as a testament to how durable the zetec engine is.

I am honestly so surprised by how solid the zetec is, it does not seem like something that could have been crafted by one of the big three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

rscott posted:

It's pretty amazing that it didn't melt a piston from the lean condition before the exhaust manifold caught everything on fire. Ford should use that as a testament to how durable the zetec engine is.

Dude shoulda watched for the DANGER TO MANIFOLD warning.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
I just can't wrap my head around that. Why would you peg the car at the rev limiter for fifteen minutes? What did this guy expect to happen doing that? :psyduck:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

rscott posted:

The Zetec is so crazy that if you overheat it, it is designed to become a two cylinder air cooled engine:

quote:

If your Focus has the 2.0L Zetec engine, your have what is referred to as "fail-safe cooling". This is a handy system, should for some reason your engine's coolant supply become depleted, the fail-safe cooling allows the vehicle to be driven temporarily before any incremental component damage occurs. The fail-safe traveling distance depends on ambient temperatures, vehicle load, and terrain.

If your engine begins to overheat, the coolant temperature gauge will move into the red area, and the multi-function automatic transaxle/cooling system light on your instrument panel will be illuminated. When the engine reaches a preset over-temperature condition, the fail-safe cooling system will activate. The engine will switch to alternating cylinder operation, each disabled cylinder acts as an air pump, thereby cooling the engine.

When this happens, your vehicle will still operate, however... the engine power will be limited, since you are not running on all four cylinders, the air conditioning system will be disabled, and your check engine light on the instrument panel will illuminate. Continued operation will increase the engine temperature and eventually the engine will shut off, and you will loose your power steering and bracking. If at all possible, you should pull off the road and let the engine cool. If you car does shut off, and once your engine cools down, you should be able to start the car again. You should however get your car to a service facility as soon as possible.

Tough little bastard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Zetec is so crazy that if you overheat it, it is designed to become a two cylinder air cooled engine:

Tough little bastard.

Got a link?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tough little bastard.

The modular motors would do the same thing, except obviously becoming a four cylinder. This thread seems to indicate it was only on the "Triton" badged truck motors though and not in the Mustang, T-Bird, or Crown Vic. The dealer made a big point of it when my dad bought a '98 Expedition back then.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

AFAIK the newer LSx engines do this as well.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The 3.5L Duratec V6 in my parent's '09 Ford Edge also has the fail safe engine cooling system.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Got a link?

It's in the manual for the car, but it doesn't go into a lot of detail. There's a good (for a Focaljet level of "good") post on it here: http://forums.focaljet.com/mk-i-tech/386474-fail-safe-cooling-system-mode.html

quote:

The cooling system is fitted with a fail-safe mode, this comes into operation in stages when the temperature of the engine is too high:

STAGE 1
The cylinder head temperature sensor transmits a signal to the engine ECU, which then moves the gauge into the red zone.
If the engine is not switched off and the temperature continues to rise the multi-function warning light will come on.

STAGE 2
The engine ECU will contol the engine by starting to cut out two cylinders and restricting the engine to below 3000rpm. When this occurs the engine waring light will also illuminate. If the temperature should drop back to normal, the ignition will have to be switched off and then on again, to revert back to four cylinders.

STAGE 3
If the engine temperature continues to rise, the engine will be totally disabled before engine damage occurs. The engine warning light will begin to flash, indicating to the driver that the engine will be switched off after 30 seconds.

Apparently it carried through to the Focus ST:

quote:

Fail-Safe Cooling Strategy
Note: Not all vehicles with a cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor have the fail-safe cooling strategy.

The fail-safe cooling strategy is only activated by the PCM when an overheating condition has been identified. This strategy provides engine temperature control when the cylinder head temperature exceeds certain limits. The cylinder head temperature is measured by the CHT sensor. For additional information about the CHT sensor, refer to Engine Control Components in this section.

A cooling system failure, such as low coolant or coolant loss, could cause an overheating condition. As a result, damage to major engine components could occur. Along with a CHT sensor, the fail-safe cooling strategy is used to prevent damage by allowing air cooling of the engine. This strategy allows the vehicle to be driven safely for a short time with some loss of performance when an overheat condition exists.

Engine temperature is controlled by alternating the number of disabled fuel injectors, allowing all cylinders to cool. When the fuel injectors are disabled, the respective cylinders work as air pumps, and this air is used to cool the cylinders. The more fuel injectors that are disabled, the cooler the engine runs, but the engine has less power.

A wide open throttle (WOT) delay is incorporated if the cylinder head temperature is exceeded during WOT operation. At WOT, the injectors function for a limited amount of time allowing the customer to complete a passing maneuver.

Before injectors are disabled, the fail-safe cooling strategy alerts the customer to a cooling system problem by moving the IPC temperature gauge to the H (hot) zone and setting DTC P1285. Depending on the vehicle, other indicators such as an audible chime or warning lamp, can be used to alert the customer of fail-safe cooling. If overheating continues, the strategy begins to disable the fuel injectors, DTC P1299 is stored in the PCM memory, and a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminates. If the overheating condition continues and a critical temperature is reached, all fuel injectors are turned OFF and the engine is disabled.

Link: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/7791-great-car-overheating-2.html

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 17, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No big deal, VW figured out air cooling four cylinders back in the 1930's. :colbert:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

wolrah posted:

The modular motors would do the same thing, except obviously becoming a four cylinder. This thread seems to indicate it was only on the "Triton" badged truck motors though and not in the Mustang, T-Bird, or Crown Vic. The dealer made a big point of it when my dad bought a '98 Expedition back then.

The northstars did this too. Which was useful as the HGs fail.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hell, my motorcycle will alternate between cylinders if it starts to overheat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Hell, my motorcycle will alternate between cylinders if it starts to overheat.

So basically Ford sold a failure as a failsafe.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Not long after the first series of snowfalls, the "curb jobs" begin to appear. This one allegedly lost it going downhill and sideswiped a utility pole before plowing into a curb hidden beneath a snow bank:

It was hard to get a clear picture of the bent tie rods and lower control arm with all the snow and ice packed into the wheel well and surrounding suspension. Can't wait to see what other damage I find once it finally thaws out!

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
That ancient, crappy, plastic Buick was junk long before it hit the pole. Hell, it was garbage when it was new. Scrap that fucker.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Seriously is that really not worth totaling?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Chinatown posted:

Maybe you haven't been poor before, but sometimes a vehicle would be "totaled" ("totaled" equaling about 70% of the market value of the vehicle in many locations) by having to replace a serpentine belt, but has much more value in simply being owned and relatively driveable. There are many cases where I have had a car that needed $500 in repairs that valued double what the car was worth, but after said $500 I would know everything else that was wrong with the car because I had fixed it myself, and I wouldn't have to troll craigslist for a car with unknown problems.

I don't know about that Buick (structural soundness is in deep question there), but if it could be repaired for less than the cost of a new used car, and cosmetics don't count as long as the lights are fixed satisfactorily, it may still have a purpose in this world. I mean, it's a total piece of poo poo, obviously, but we can't know everybody's situation. Also I thought your statement was pretty wide-reaching and was used in a general sense, so I'm replying in kind.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

That is some pretty drat inspired engineering. Everything else I own (computers, domestic goods, etc) would just shut down at a predefined temperature.

I was thinking, if you got that car hot enough to cause flames to appear, is it still savable (assuming no internal engine damage)? If you have that many bits glowing orange can you stop it from burning down without damaging it in the process?

i.e. CO2 won't stop it. Water will destroy the exhaust, the manifold and the block? Would powder stop it flaming up long enough to let it safely cool down?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

That is some pretty drat inspired engineering. Everything else I own (computers, domestic goods, etc) would just shut down at a predefined temperature.

I was thinking, if you got that car hot enough to cause flames to appear, is it still savable (assuming no internal engine damage)? If you have that many bits glowing orange can you stop it from burning down without damaging it in the process?

i.e. CO2 won't stop it. Water will destroy the exhaust, the manifold and the block? Would powder stop it flaming up long enough to let it safely cool down?

Surely you would be best to keep the engine running at a normal speed (not bouncing off the limiter) so that the normal gas flow would cool it down to standard non glowing operating temperatures, and so that the coolant flow round the engine had more chance of keeping that colder too.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

Surely you would be best to keep the engine running at a normal speed (not bouncing off the limiter) so that the normal gas flow would cool it down to standard non glowing operating temperatures, and so that the coolant flow round the engine had more chance of keeping that colder too.

Oh yeah, I get that and agree with you (I suppose taking it for a gentle drive might actually be the best option as it lets cool air in)

I mean if you've reached the point where there is actual flames in the engine bay, are you able to stop those flames without causing significant damage with the extinguishing process (bearing in mind the amount of red hot metal there)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

wolrah posted:

My Crown Vic does it, as I've found out the hard way a few times at slow drive-throughs in Texas summers after the fan controller died. It may only be on Interceptors.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

As was stated, if you're crazy poor... the powertrain still works. It will still run and drive with fresh front-end parts and cosmetics can be refreshed with junkyard parts if there's any problems there. It will get you to work so you can feed your kids.

Only thing I'd particularly be worried about is a destroyed strut tower or other unibody chunk in the front so hopefully that's not happened.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spog posted:

I mean if you've reached the point where there is actual flames in the engine bay, are you able to stop those flames without causing significant damage with the extinguishing process (bearing in mind the amount of red hot metal there)

In my experience, unless you have an extinguisher on hand when the flames start, the car is toast. Once the plastics start to ignite the flames spread insanely fast*. Then there's the problem of flammable fluids.

I'm not sure what the effects would be if you did have an extinguisher handy though. It'll obviously prevent the flames from spreading making the car salvageable, but I'd guess you'd be paying for new wiring and going over the engine bay with a fine tooth comb looking for damaged parts.

* Especially once it hits that foam stuff they made dashboards out of in the 80's. Poor little Subaru went from "huh, is that smoke?" to "holy gently caress the car is a fireball" in about 15 seconds.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What about sand?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
My old Evo was overboosting after a vacuum leak and one night I noticed a glow from the hood vent, so I stopped to check it out. It only took me a couple seconds to realize that a bright red turbo could start a fire so I immediately kept driving off the boost to cool it down. I think that incident is more along the lines of "proof that morons can destroy a car" than a statement about Ford's engineering.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

spog posted:

At least on the trucks it was sold as a "if poo poo breaks when you're in the middle of nowhere you're not stranded" type thing, sort of like how a computer will throttle its clock speed if it gets too hot before fully shutting down.

Delivery McGee posted:

My Crown Vic does it, as I've found out the hard way a few times at slow drive-throughs in Texas summers after the fan controller died. It may only be on Interceptors.

They may have added it over the years, but my '93 Interceptor didn't even have the head temp sensor that operates this feature. That was an EEC-IV car though and I'm pretty sure this feature is only in the later EEC-V ECU.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My last car was a Focus and this happened to it. Went to leave for work one day, the CEL came on halfway to work, and I noticed an extreme power deficit. It drove okay other than feeling like I was driving a Jeep in low-range 4WD and I was able to make it to my mechanic without issue...aside from people behind me at stoplights probably hating me.

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009

wolrah posted:

I wish T-birds had that

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Toyota has made its EFI diesels pretty drat resilient too, if you suffer a cooling failure (like you filled your radiator with mud getting stuck in a hole) then the first sign your overheating is the AC shuts off, then you loose power cos the computer massively pulls fuel volumes to reduce cylinder temps (cos with diesel more fuel=more heat). It's pretty impressive to see in action, I was driving up the freeway back into Adelaide after sinking my car and I didn't even see the gauge start to move before the engine cut power. On the flats full power cos it could cool, but as soon as it went to a hill it just backed itself off to keep temps in check.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cadillac's Northstar was able to do this for their entire production run - seeing as that engine came out in the early 90s, I'd call that pretty drat good.

.... still couldn't keep them from popping head gaskets, but they'd pop the gaskets without ever being overheated for several model years. :downsgun:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 18, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The Northstar V8 is the worst engine ever designed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Geirskogul posted:

I submit that it still better than the HT4100.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Let's not forget that aluminum block, iron head, linerless abomination from the Vega.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Darchangel posted:

The 4-6-8 has a bone to pick with you.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The GM diesel 350 thinks you are all fools.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Which one? How about the 350 caddy diesel? Or the 6.0hno? Or the Toyota 3vz-e?

If we're talking god awful engines there are a lot to choose from, and the Northstar aint one of them. I'm going to sound like a 6.0hno owner here, but slap in the new set of head fasteners and/or timeserts and they go forever from what I know.

Also, jeep 4.0s don't need no stinkin' air cooling system, they run great till they seize and then run great again once you let them cool down, apparently. I've seen one run from Haverhill to Auburn (both in MA) on the highway with almost no water in the block, engine got so hot that coolant burned onto the valve cover and oil pan (leaving gunky caramelized brown sludge spatters) and to the best of my knowledge it's still running today, though probably on borrowed time HG/cracked head/scuffed pistons wise.

e: dammit FatCow! :argh:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Funny enough the HT4100, 5.7 Diesel and V8-6-4 were the only engine choices for V8 Caddies for a bit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FatCow posted:

The GM diesel 350 thinks you are all fools.

Some simple upgrades fixes that. There are some engines that no fixes will save.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Geirskogul posted:

I have never seen one not covered in oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

That's almost good enough for Texas.