Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Gorilla Salad posted:

When you get to this size, why not make a giant turbine? If it's running at one speed for hours and hours it has to be more efficient to have a turbine instead of a reciprocating piston engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Motronic posted:

I'm all for "fusible links" in a system, but the frame seems like a poor choice (and I don't believe it was a choice, I believe it was a design oversight or miscalculation).

You don't think the SVT engineers would have caught something like this in testing? Or even way before it got to the prototyping phase? I find it strange that one guy looking under a Raptor can spot a supposedly enormous flaw that completely escaped the entire Ford development staff.

It seems like the Raptor opened the door to anyone with $60 grand and a will to a 400hp sport truck. If you're going to just go balls-out on a trail with a bunch of other rich guys without being outrageously careful, then you're going to break something. Nissan had a similar problem with their GTR transmissions. Just because you can use the launch control to get from 0-60 in 2.8s doesn't mean you should do it once a week.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Ephphatha posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_turn

Basically cars wanting to turn right will instead queue in the left lane and wait until the phase changes, then they can pull out to the right ahead of the cross traffic.

This video shows how it is meant to work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VC110TeusA

The problem comes when people go too early and pull out ahead of through traffic, or cross traffic pulls out too early and sideswipes the turning traffic.

Holy poo poo this took me a long time to figure out. Seems like it would only let 2-3 cars go at a time though, unless the intersection was ridiculously wide. Why not a protected right signal?

Muffinpox posted:

Unless you're in NYC where it's completely prohibited but not posted.

It's like that in most major cities though. I grew up in Boston but I knew that you can't ROR in NYC, although now I live in Chicago where you can :smug:

Also, having been back in MA for the last two weeks visiting my folks, gently caress MA drivers and their "Boston Half-out" or "Revere Merge" or whatever kitschy name your dad thought up for that jerkoff move. I've had people pull in front of my lane while I'm barreling down on them at 50-60mph and just look at me smugly like "What, ya gonna broadside my cah?" YES YOU rear end in a top hat I AM

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Breast Pussy posted:

As a lifelong MA driver I love driving here but thats the one thing I hate. However, its easy to get around most of them as long as you don't slam on the brakes and show weakness. If you do that they'll pounce and then do 5 under the limit to mock you.

Haha, I know that spiteful driver, but I'm talking about the douches that pull fully into the oncoming lane when making a left turn. If someone lost their brakes or wasn't paying attention, they would go right into the driver's side door. And yeah, don't be a pushover, but you don't want to be that guy that's so afraid of getting traffic-goosed that they drive like a straight-up retard.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You really can't turn left anywhere without a signal inside of 128 without doing that though.

I know the feeling and especially when you're late you want to strangle that dude that's going just fast enough to prevent you from turning but just slow enough to be a pain. But...

Breast Pussy posted:

You could always just wait for an opening since one, even a small one, will eventually show up. I've learned to use those waiting times as lessons in being patient, something that comes in very handy when in traffic.

Couldn't have said it better.
Also,

sharkytm posted:

Or get anywhere on the Cape. I live there, ask me about tourists...

We go out to Harwich all the time, surprisingly the traffic up the Cape is pretty laid back by MA standards until you try to get anywhere on the 6 after 4pm. Then it's drunk, drunk, grandma, drunk, grandma, statie.

edit: sorry for derailing this into MASSCHAT, here's a Jaguar doing what it does best (actually taken on the way up the Cape a few years ago)

Marvin K. Mooney fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 9, 2011

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

CaptBubba posted:

Even if the suspension wasn't supported by a single comically undersized bolt... is that kind of truck actually useful for anything?

Ignoring speed bumps, apparently.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Sounds pretty cool but I'm betting if you put 30g of amalgam in the head/sump and let it sit for 30 minutes, it just won't turn over. as soon as one crank bearing seizes you're done and then it's an expensive timelapse. I say turn the engine on, let it idle, and then add the amalgam to the breather vent and record from there.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

sigtrap posted:

I love the comments that come along with stuff like that.

"We've had this grill for a year now and we've had no problems whatsoever!"

Yes, well, the people whose grills burned up in hellfires had no problems with their grills either - right up until the point where they BURNED UP IN HELLFIRES.

It reminds me of the home shopping clip where the guy was demonstrating a collapsible ladder in the studio when it, well, collapsed on him. The 'satisfied customer on the phone' (who was quite obviously someone on the other end of the studio) sees it all go down and says "...and THAT has never happened to ours!" Well, all is forgiven! Ordering 10 deathladders now because Mary Jo in Wisconsin says they're cool.

Goes to show there will always be apologists for everything. The power of the human mind to convince itself it's right in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Nerobro posted:

I live just west of chicago. So, access is easy. 10 minutes from o-hare. :-)

Hydrocloric acid should happily etch the aluminum. That would definitely get things going.

I worry that we'll eat through a piston before we get a hole in the block.

Test subjects... Now we just need some class d personnel.

I live in Chicago, when this goes down drop me a line and I can bring over cameras and beer. And if this weather keeps up I'll ride the interceptor over.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Just saw this video of SEMA car crushing on Autoblog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GNiL8V-vQQ

I wonder why they do this with pre-production cars and press cars. Couldn't they part them out, or title them as salvage and sell them at auction? For lovely cars it's not so bad but watching Vipers and other limited production cars get crushed is a bummer.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

IOwnCalculus posted:

No such thing as a piece of paper with words on it that some lawyer, somewhere, wouldn't try to claim was insufficient to protect the poor consumer from using some random piece of hardware that clearly was the sole cause of FIERY DEATH.

It's the same reason all of the Mazdas on the Cougar Ace were scrapped, right on down to the lug nuts.

I knew about the liability, but they could very easily write up a contract releasing them from any and all damages that would be pretty bulletproof, even in cases of death. I'm sure some lawyer somewhere could challenge it, but there are people whose sole job is to make these contracts airtight and find every last precedent.

I mean, don't bother with the Lexuses and that crap, but don't crush 15 Vipers when you could do some fanservice with a good lawyer. Auction them off for charity and void the title etc. so they could be used as collectable or track cars.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Why does impacted hardened oil cause it to take longer to spin down? You'd think it would make it seize instead of lubricate.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Paul Boz_ posted:

I don't know why. My s2000 has drive by wire and the throttle response is faster than the pre-DBW S2000's. You can also tune parameters such as how much pedal pressure is required to go WOT as well as the ones Jamal posted using a FlashPro. The improved traction control for day to day driving is worth it by itself.

Not saying this isn't true, but how? Is the tiny slack in a physical throttle wire really more noticeable than the built-in ~ms delay in DBW systems?

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Tekne posted:

Watch the videos of the same test with the Touareg and XC70; you'll notice he cuts the turn a lot harder and faster in the Grand Cherokee. There also isn't any recording instrumentation on the steering column when they run these "tests".

You can't really tell if they cut it harder in the VW and Volvo since there aren't interior views, and the exterior views only show you exactly what the test results were: two of them cut smoothly, one cuts hard and fails the test. I agree that they need instrumentation and independent analysis but you can't say they are biased against the Jeep just from that footage.

This whole episode just underscores the importance of a MUCH more thorough independent safety rating. There's the NHTSA in America, the NCAP in Europe, and all kids of stuff elsewhere. If there was an international body conducting a very extensive set of safety regs we could be saving money as well as cleaning up this data.

I'm not mad at Chrysler for being less than apologetic. They handled this fine, just as well as you would expect any other company to.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Devyl posted:

Speaking of car fires, evidently Chevrolet's Camaro is prone to becoming, how should I say it, crispy.

http://youtu.be/b70jXed3DWo?t=1m16s

Skipped the boring parts for you.

This reeks of insurance fraud. His description fits the bill for a desperate owner trying to wiggle out of a contract. What's surprising is he has the balls to ask for another car he can't afford and will most likely also torch.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
What's that shaft coming up from the blue worm gear through the bellhousing?

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

CommieGIR posted:

I'm hesitant to keep running it, even though the TDI has 280,000 miles its a damned fun and reliable car, I'd rather not risk a turbo self-destruct even though it still works.

That, and I'm planning on getting a used turbo and having this one rebuilt.

The cold side is the only side damaged, the hot side is undamaged and shows no sign of being unbalanced.

Our 2001 TDI had a hot side problem from 200,000 miles of high sulphur diesel and because, for some retarded reason, VW decided to integrate the turbine and exhaust manifold, the replacement part was about $5000. You can probably get away with much less than that just replacing the compressor, but definitely do it.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Billy Tully posted:

Holy poo poo dude you got hosed, thats a $1000 part at most. I bought a bigger turbo for mine in 2005 and it was less than $1k.

e: VNT17 which is slightly bigger and the same design

Yeop not surprised, although we didn't actually pay it. When you got the bigger turbo, did it have the manifold attached too?

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

CommieGIR posted:

Just like to point out: You can get a used VNT-15 or VNT-17 for fairly cheap. I know VNT-15s are cheap enough a lot of 1Z/AHU owners upgrade to it, granted you have to make some changes to the firewall to make it fit.

I thought by the time the VNT-15s were being put into the TDIs, they were already building the diesels to ULSD spec? Even my 98 TDI was pretty much ULSD ready.

I think the coking issue is just an issue that all the VNTs had early on, just part of going from a wastegated turbo that has been used for a decade or two to a variable vane turbo that is a relatively new design for consumer end products.

Yeah, the whole thing was a mess of electric issues, driveline problems and scrapes from lovely NE drivers. We put probably 30,000 miles a year on it and never did any maintenance beyond oil changes and tire rotations. Basically, it was a complete beater that only got fixed because of family dealership, if I had to pay $5k we would have junked it. Good to hear it's actually much cheaper to fix.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
^^ goddamnit ^^

thelightguy posted:

To be fair, I live with a clean vehicle policy lobbyist, and cats do nothing significant for emissions either, especially when compared with the emission reductions from enforcing higher efficiency standards

That's the difference between a policy lobbyist and someone in the industry, though. Cats do a HUGE amount for emissions, just not for CO2. Without cats there would be a lot more hydrocarbons and NOx coming out of your tailpipe, especially since NOx is produced more in leaner burns, which are becoming more and more popular for efficiency reasons.

Sure, reducing all emissions does a lot more comparatively, but cats still do a lot, and they're an easily-implemented and widespread technology.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
quote is not edit gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Comrade Flynn posted:

:(

Am I the only one with an R35 on here?

I've definitely noticed there are two types of GTR owners since buying one: die hard car nuts and guys that just want to own the fastest car on the road for less than $500k. There's not a lot of in between.

A guy at my work has an R35, and he's pretty chill. Chatted with him for a while and he said he just fell in love with it when it first came out, he's not a street racer or even an auto X guy. Dude's like a 45 year old scientist and just wanted a sweet rear end car that sounds nice and goes fast. He also drives it 365 days a year in Chicago weather.

Stereotyping drivers by their cars is pretty dumb since there's such crazy variability. The only time you can really do it is with balls-out bizarre poo poo like Nobles or rare special editions like early SHOs. You have to be a car guy to search out and find those.