Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

The roller on the (new) timing belt tensioner backed off on my A4 a few years ago, this is what you need to do to get access to it.

This is where the missing part was supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Fucknag posted:

You know, I was gonna post about the 4.6, which has 3 chains similarly arranged but all on one end of the motor, but then I went on GIS and I found this:

:gonk:
Apparently it's the 4.2L V8 out of an Audi S4. Wanna know the best part? That's the REAR of the motor. That's the end that faces the firewall. God help you if you ever need to replace a tensioner.

Superior German engineering, indeed.

It's not an if, it's a when on that motor. I've seen multiple friends go through it, with final bill ranging from $5-8k at the end.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Fucknag posted:

You know, I was gonna post about the 4.6, which has 3 chains similarly arranged but all on one end of the motor, but then I went on GIS and I found this:

:gonk:
Apparently it's the 4.2L V8 out of an Audi S4. Wanna know the best part? That's the REAR of the motor. That's the end that faces the firewall. God help you if you ever need to replace a tensioner.

Superior German engineering, indeed.

Holy gently caress and I almost bought an '08 S4 Avant.

Not too horrible, but here's the stock left rear strut that I sheared off of my Mazda3 at a track day last year. Gave me an excuse to upgrade.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 4, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

DropShadow posted:

It's not an if, it's a when on that motor. I've seen multiple friends go through it, with final bill ranging from $5-8k at the end.
See, the problem here is that people keep wanting to perform maintenance on a component that's clearly designed to not be maintainable. Manufacturers have ZERO incentive to change it; they actually have quite the incentive to make it as difficult as possible on the used market to encourage new sales. It's simply taking component/assembly-level maintenance to the extreme!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Space Gopher posted:

Performance at high RPMs or with tough valve springs was never a priority for that engine, and it doesn't have a chain on both ends of each camshaft. The design was based on an OHV engine, so there's a short timing chain that runs from the crank to where an OHV camshaft would be in the middle of the V. Then, on each end of the shaft-with-no-cams, there's a gear and a separate timing chain that runs up to the heads. One bank's chain is at the front of the engine, and the other bank's chain is at the back.

Oh, and all the tensioners and chain guides are made of crappy plastic, too.

e: have a picture!

Even better when you find out that the early designs of that engine had a faulty timing chain tensioning system including cheap plastic guide material prone to accelerated wear, insufficient support (for practical purposes: no support) for those crappy guides leading to stress fractures, and a tensioner design which used a combination of springs and engine oil pressure neither of which provided sufficient tension on its own. Oh and that tensioner, especially the rear one, was prone to losing its oil supply resulting in a noisy slack chain with bad timing at best and complete failure of the passenger side SOHC drive system at worst. The engine was of course an interference design and even if the chain or guides didn't break you could still easily end up with the exhaust valves saying hello to the pistons.

Ford's "solution" was a recall where they replaced the tensioning parts with ones ever so slightly more durable to get the engine out of warranty before it inevitably failed. Add in having to pull the whole drat engine to replace the required parts and the common thinking that timing chains never need service (to be fair, the chains were normally fine, the supporting guides were the problem) and those engines do not have a sterling reliability reputation.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

:psypop:

I love you, Felix Wankel.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I don't care how loud they whine, I will never bitch about geared timing sets again.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
on the other end of the spectrum

Say what you will about their general lack of power and fuel economy, I love my inline 6 pushrod "tractor motors" :v:

* known to go 200, 300, even 400 thousand miles on the OEM chain... and every other engine internal component, for that matter
* $50 or so on RockAuto for a full timing set, takes a few hours to install, less if you bother to remove the radiator for a little extra working space
* if you don't replace it and it snaps at some ridiculous mileage, the engine stops running.
* non interference so slap another one on and put another few hundred thousand on it!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MiniFoo posted:

I love you, Felix Wankel.
I think his original design was actually quite complicated and difficult to work on. The Mazda planetary rotation based on his original was a lot simpler.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kastein posted:

Say what you will about their general lack of power and fuel economy, I love my inline 6 pushrod "tractor motors" :v:

* known to go 200, 300, even 400 thousand miles on the OEM chain... and every other engine internal component, for that matter
* $50 or so on RockAuto for a full timing set, takes a few hours to install, less if you bother to remove the radiator for a little extra working space
* if you don't replace it and it snaps at some ridiculous mileage, the engine stops running.
* non interference so slap another one on and put another few hundred thousand on it!

I'll second this. gently caress YEAH TRACTOR MOTORS.
I have a Ranger with a 2.5 Lima (stroked 2.3L motor) and a Volvo 244 with the 230 redblock.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'll second this. gently caress YEAH TRACTOR MOTORS.
I have a Ranger with a 2.5 Lima (stroked 2.3L motor) and a Volvo 244 with the 230 redblock.

7 Jeep 4.0L I6s, an LDS-465, a Jeep 2.5L I4, two Chrysler 318 V8s, and a Chrysler 360 V8 here. The V8s might as well be tractor motors, they have the usual single cam in the lifter valley, a billion pushrods, and a little tiny timing chain just like the I6s.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

Hell yeah! My 4.0 just hit 160,000 miles. I'm almost done breaking it in :smugbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
imgur's pool for "just rolled into the shop" has some really interesting failures.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
Don't forget about the 3800 series motors. I don't think I've ever heard of a single timing chain issue with one of those. God bless push rod motors.

When I was shopping for vehicle awhile back I had a brief infatuation with the Audi allroad wagons. A little research revealed the terrors of timing belt service and multi thousand dollar turbo repairs. Despite the Tupperware interior I've never regretted buying my GTP. drat thing is built like a tank and cheaper than anything to fix.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

imgur's pool for "just rolled into the shop" has some really interesting failures.

wow, only a couple in:

Says 709 on the top, AC line fittings on the rear of the compressor, coolant tube for heater core, battery placement, valve cover shape and material, and ignition wire location are all a direct match for... looks like a 95-96 Jeep Cherokee

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've had that happen before. Still held air afterwards! :v:

This is why you don't drive on a tire made in 1979 in the mid 1990s.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 5, 2012

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

What the hell. How does that even happen? I'm guessing a crack between the belts and tread, allowing air to blow up the sidewall/tread rubber?

Maybe this is why old Bridgestone tires used to have "BS" in a keystone proudly stamped on the side.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

two forty posted:

What the hell. How does that even happen? I'm guessing a crack between the belts and tread, allowing air to blow up the sidewall/tread rubber?

Maybe this is why old Bridgestone tires used to have "BS" in a keystone proudly stamped on the side.

Pretty much. Modern radials have 2 layers of rubber, the steel-reinforced outer layer with the radial belts and tread, and the inner liner that forms an airtight pressure vessel. The manufacturing process leaves a void between the two layers when they are pressed together. This is never noticed during normal tire use, but if you smack a curb at high speed it can crack the stiff inner liner and let air into that void, inflating the softer compound outer layer like you see there.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I wonder how quickly that bump formed and whether or not it took out the fender when it did.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Maybe not catastrophic, but it's definitely loving horrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTFBFHtfg1Y&hd=1

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Colonel Sanders posted:

I don't care how loud they whine, I will never bitch about geared timing sets again.

But that's the best part about them!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SlapActionJackson posted:

My considered opinion on this matter after working on my wife's passat and observing some all around terrible design choices (this is a vehicle that made me tool-throwing angry while trying to change the battery) is that VW only hires the automotive engineers that weren't good enough to work for BMW, Porsche, or Mercedes.

I think Audi's problem was halting production on the 2.2l and 2.3l Inline 5s

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

More like a horrible design failure. :wtc:

Swedish car magazine "Teknikens Värld" puts the Jeep Grand Cherokee through a standard 70kph (43mph) evasion test. All three sample cars fail horribly, and in 7 of the tries they even blow a front tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

wow, they put independent front and rear suspension on it, thus making it much more difficult to build for offroad performance, and they still can't make it handle on the road?

I have to agree.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

wow, they put independent front and rear suspension on it, thus making it much more difficult to build for offroad performance, and they still can't make it handle on the road?

I have to agree.

Wow. That was terrible. The Volvo and VW did awesome though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wow, the Yeep is a disaster. Blowing tires like a boss.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Here's a really good writeup of the fallout from that test sequence. It seems the initial test that caused a near rollover was run at 100kg under maximum cargo capacity as rated by Chrysler, however the curb weight specification of the truck were not correct so it ended up being over gross vehicle weight by around 60kg. Chrysler has seized on this and nearly every statement they put out hints at overloading.

Chrysler also claims they ran their own "moose test" and didn't see any trouble, but they don't say it is the same test as run by the Swedish magazine and won't release the information about the layout of the test or show video so there is no way to know what that means. Despite this the newer tests run by the magazine which are linked above still look awful when run at the new cargo/passenger capacity of 470kg. Chrysler claims the tests vindicate them because the handling wasn't quite as bad a before, but to me it looks like the truck is just bouncing out of control.

Can you imagine if some of the weight had been on the roof for example, instead of being sandbags?

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 5, 2012

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Chrysler's response is pretty funny.

quote:

During the evaluation, the publication was able to capture images of a Grand Cherokee on two wheels as it performed an extreme maneuver in an overloaded condition.
The "extreme maneuver" is something everyone with a driver's license in Sweden gets to practice during learning.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

Chrysler's response is pretty funny.

Honestly, Chrysler's response makes them sound like a bond villain:

"Do you expect me to do extreme maneuvers, Mr. Chrysler?"

"No, Mr. Jeep. I expect you to die..."

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I guess the moral of the story is, don't transport five people along with just enough sandbags to go over the load limit in a Jeep Grand Cherokee if you live in a place where there are lots of Moose and not a lot of tires.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

NOTinuyasha posted:

I guess the moral of the story is, don't transport ... in a Jeep Grand Cherokee .....

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

:stonk: How the gently caress does this happen?!

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Ask Sebastien Buemi :v:

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

kastein posted:

wow, only a couple in:

Says 709 on the top, AC line fittings on the rear of the compressor, coolant tube for heater core, battery placement, valve cover shape and material, and ignition wire location are all a direct match for... looks like a 95-96 Jeep Cherokee

If you wanna pick jeep parts out of that gallery, this looks an awful lot like a 4.0 water pump that went until the impeller rusted off!

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Collateral Damage posted:

More like a horrible design failure. :wtc:

Swedish car magazine "Teknikens Värld" puts the Jeep Grand Cherokee through a standard 70kph (43mph) evasion test. All three sample cars fail horribly, and in 7 of the tries they even blow a front tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM
Watch the videos of the same test with the Touareg and XC70; you'll notice he cuts the turn a lot harder and faster in the Grand Cherokee. There also isn't any recording instrumentation on the steering column when they run these "tests". Finally, Germany's Auto Motor und Sport ran their ISO standard moose test and couldn't destabilize the Jeep with any load even up to maximum weight, which is curious when you combine that with Teknikens Värld inability to produce these results when Chrysler's engineers were present. There could very well be a problem with the vehicle, but I'd be hesitant to believe these results when only TV is producing them. I think we all know that a skilled driver can force a vehicle on to two wheels. That being said, this story isn't clear cut or resolved, and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out as other groups get involved.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

obso posted:

If you wanna pick jeep parts out of that gallery, this looks an awful lot like a 4.0 water pump that went until the impeller rusted off!

similar, but not quite. It's got a different water outlet tube, the impeller pulley flange is too tall, and that strange boss/protrusion on the housing that stands up next to the pulley. It MIGHT be a 258 water pump, but I'm not sure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

obso posted:

And THAT is why you change your coolant.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tekne posted:

Finally, Germany's Auto Motor und Sport ran their ISO standard moose test and couldn't destabilize the Jeep with any load even up to maximum weight, which is curious when you combine that with Teknikens Värld inability to produce these results when Chrysler's engineers were present.
In the video they had Chrysler engineers tinker with the ESP (Shown at 1:14) to see if they could resolve it since it seems like the ESP isn't doing its job. I would assume they remained for the actual test as well. It's possible that Chrysler's higher ups weren't aware of this when they put out their statement though.

Either way I'm sure this will get more media attention as it develops and we'll just have to wait and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Also, we have been here before. Consumer Reports tried it on with the Isuzu Trooper in the nineties, and Isuzu hit back with a proper analysis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZBh3zxxOqw