Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

opengl128 posted:

I think this is the first time in recorded history that somebody was filming an event like this and kept the camera pointed at the subject rather then aiming it at their feet once it went bad. I guess it helps it was most likely a professional.

I think this is the first time I've seen someone on the ground react properly which is to get the gently caress down so the poo poo going sideways doesn't lodge itself in your face/skull area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Root Bear posted:

It's got whiskers :3:

Is it too much to hope that's not an actual Goodyear?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

amenenema posted:

Or the difference between full-time and part-time 4wd. I have to explain it often when people see the shift lever.

I don't understand the appropriate uses for most AWD or 4WD systems, I normally leave the transfer case in the "it's always been here" position on HMMWV's.

According to the Army, I have a license on that vehicle :unsmith:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kastein posted:

Apparently you only have lovely adjustable wrenches.

The most awesome adjustable wrench in existence:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/dp/B00009OYGZ

I used one on a rusted-on fastener (around 18mm original head size, it was rusted down to around 17.25mm and barely hexagonal) holding an early 90s F350 track bar bracket to the engine cradle at the junkyard today. Grabbed that fucker tight with it, even though it was barely recognizable, and held tight while I used a breaker bar on the bolt from the other side.

This tool has saved my rear end 3-4 times now and is easily worth (IMO) three times what they are asking.

Thank you for that link. Definitely going in my "oddjob" bag.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You can lead a horse (decal) to water...

AND NO SWIMMING.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 28, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Looks better than most of the B-Huts in Afghanistan.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Motronic posted:

All I remember being told in fire school is that they "chemically interrupt the chain reaction". Whenever I was told something like this in fire school I made a mental note "the instruction has no idea how this works scientifically, but at least they know how it works functionally."

Everything I know about the HMMWV's fire suppression system is based on old-wives tales and superstition. No one has ever been able to tell me if it will kill everyone or not; it doesn't seem like a responsible system if that's the case.

Wikipedia posted:

At high temperatures, halons decompose to release halogen atoms that combine readily with active hydrogen atoms, quenching flame propagation reaction even when adequate fuel, oxygen, and heat remains. The chemical reaction in a flame proceeds as a free radical chain reaction; by sequestering the radicals which propagate the reaction, halons are able to "poison" the fire at much lower concentrations than are required by fire suppressants using the more traditional methods of cooling, oxygen deprivation, or fuel dilution.... Halon 1301 causes only slight giddiness at its effective concentration of 5%, and even at 15% persons remain conscious but impaired and suffer no long term effects. (Experimental animals have also been exposed to 2% concentrations of Halon 1301 for 30 hours per week for 4 months, with no discernible health effects at all.)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

OSI bean dip posted:

This appeared on my Facebook feed this morning.

Hella stance, yo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
He gave the truck genital warts? :confused:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

What about the girl? What happened to her?

I always love "the girl and the car" stories; every detail about the machine, the mechanical issue, and the steps applied to correct.

"Goddamn, I miss that machine. Girl? gently caress I don't remember what her name is."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slavvy posted:

I really want to know how this is possible. You read about it, and hear about it, and see those fluff pieces on the news where some geriatric plowed through the front of a gas station, but how does it really happen? How? You have thousands of hours of driving a car, every car is basically the same, your body is as accustomed to where the brake is as it is to wiping your rear end or turning the tap the right way to make water come out. On top of which, you have to hold down the gas for a sustained period of time AND jam it to the floor to get truly spectacular results.

I don't get it.

See, this is why I am not completely against blackboxes in cars for research purposes.

But then I realize what I'm implicitly advocating and I die a little each time. I really wish there was mandatory driver's RE-testing every few years to keep your license.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

muike posted:

ONE TWO THREE he's out for the count!!!

:thurman:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
With the wet Miata, would those large bags of silica gel for gun safes and such work to help? And wouldn't removing the stereo to dry it out help?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Munin posted:

"Guys, could we have some stairs please? We want to get out of here. Guys? Guys... Oh, putain!"

I would have used that as the excuse to ride the fun-slide, but I know some aviation testing guru is gonna go all captain killjoy on me

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Midniter posted:

Would there be any way to repair that rim or is it fubar?

I'd be finding out really fast if the company I bought them from has a "you're not gonna believe this poo poo" warranty.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fo3 posted:

Why would you want a new rim under warranty?
A NAIL went through the rim. How does that happen and how weak and soft are those rims?
I'd rather get new rims that are impervious to nails, ie decent normal rims.

I'm not a machinist or metallurgist, but I would think that would be a freak occurrence, and completely explainable by the fact that steel/iron nails can go through a lot with enough force.

Basically, if you don't want heavy all-steel rims, you're going to have to deal with the fact that steel will be harder than your rim's metal.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
"Extra metal?" That's like saying an burn victim gets "extra" skin.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kastein posted:

Horrible decision results in horrible mechanical failure.

Don't use trailer tow balls as recovery points.

This is what this thread is about.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
"Crane hoist brake failure caused an intense accident."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrn6ellbtpc

:byodood: AW gently caress.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

blugu64 posted:

I've always thought it'd be fun to make an antifreeze flavored snow cone. Just look at this and tell me it's a bad idea.

How ... will you freeze it?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Friar Zucchini posted:

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what anti-materiel rifles are for. Pop the fucker from a mile away, if you're lucky you'll have time to duck before the shrapnel hits.

I know it's been asked before ams I don't recall seeing a serious answer: just how the gently caress DO you handle this?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ferremit posted:

This is more a design failure on my behalf...

would have been reasonably convinced that 6mm plate steel would stop a .243 winchester round at 100m!

God drat I need a .243 upper for my AR-308.

MotoMind posted:

burned bodies

:stare:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MiNDRiVE posted:

Have they never seen the wars in the stars before?

Hey I'm just gonna start posting dead bodies and dicks and butts out of context. It's cool because they're from movies and that makes it ok. Everyone has seen a movie.

:downs:

Is not even like people are asking for it to be removed just loving tagged.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_j8bmv6PQY

Is this the noise? I'm new to working on my own car and have a 93 Ford Explorer so I'd like to knew what the noises all sound like.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Darchangel posted:

That is art. What does that even sound like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDuxElh2l0

E:FB but mine has the mufflers on :colbert:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wild EEPROM posted:

These cheap assed owners are not just limited to cars. Somehow they think paying any amount of money means that they have things that last forever, and will bring up price at any opportunity.

"I paid $500 for this laptop why doesn't it work"

"Why can't my XYZ do this, it cost $1500."

"What do you mean my iPad can't do ___, it cost $500."

"Why do I have to perform ABC maintenance on my car, it's a BMW. And BMWs are expensive. Do you know how much I paid for this?"

"Do you like my coffee table? It only cost $3000 but that's alright I can afford that."

These are also the people who always refer to all of their items by name: "oh I left my iPhone in my bmw."

I'd wager it's a by-product of our culture; the best things cost the most, so they simply think the best thing shouldn't need maintenance or get broken. They bought the ad man's line of poo poo, hook, line, and sinker.

It's endemic in our society, especially with people who don't fix things for a living. My parents always buy stuff at MSRP because they don't like the "hassle" of deal shopping or making things work; they keep ignoring how little overall I've spent on my "broken and old" truck, that I own outright, because they think a new car would have been a better buy for me -- even after I was recently laid off. They also ignore that while I've had to replace a radiator at a cost of two hundred dollars, they spend that much monthly paying off a base model Ranger from 04.

People think money buys you out of needing to do anything.

Edit: this post is too long and doesn't have a pic

" Mounted, aired, and outside the rim."

:catstare:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I got a lot of surprise from one of my coworkers when I told them I replaced my blown struts with $100 used parts I got off the local ricer forums over the weekend. Admittedly, not very smart, but it was cheap - and my dad taught me that being cheap is a kind of smart.

Wide eyed horror at the concept of being able to replace one of the largest and most exposed parts of the car besides the wheel, and then surprise that you can get out of any car service for under a thousand bucks. I felt like a wizard when really I was just some retard who turned a buncha nuts. Putting up drywall is harder.

Yeah reading the Chilton manual really gave me some perspective on how easy a lot of car maintenance is. It only took me two hours to install a custom radiator, and I was suddenly super pissed when I remembered the cost of getting my previous car's radiator FAN replaced through a shop; it was apparently held in with three clips and plugged in.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is how it starts. Four years later you're standing in your car's engine bay, wondering how it all went so wrong right.

Yeah I'm already looking at replacing my Explorer's mechanical radiator fan with an electric unit to get a little better mileage and horse power.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

tater_salad posted:

Driver reports that car makes fillings fall out under braking.

States that brakes were done not that long ago, must be suspension or something

Like they loving notice anything other than "drat brakes squealing..."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Aviation Herald posted:

Accident: Delta B752 near Atlanta on Mar 16th 2014, dropped upper wing panel in flight

By Simon Hradecky, created Monday, Mar 17th 2014 11:31Z, last updated Monday, Mar 17th 2014 11:31Z
A Delta Airlines Boeing 757-200, registration N675DL performing flight DL-2412 from Orlando,FL to Atlanta,GA (USA) with 179 passengers and 6 crew, was enroute nearing top of descent when a panel on the upper side of the right hand wing came loose, a leak occurred and the aircraft began to buffet. The crew declared emergency and continued to Atlanta where the aircraft landed safely on runway 09L and stopped on the runway.

The airline reported the detached panel did not impair the aircraft's ability to fly. The aircraft landed safely and taxied to the gate. The cause of the panel separating is being investigated.

Passenger photo enroute (Photo: Trevor Sinclair):

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KodiakRS posted:

Republic Airlines places orange cones around the engines on their airplanes while they're parked. This is to prevent people from running baggage carts, fuel trucks, and other ground support equipment into the expensive engines.

Which makes the following video not only a massive failure but extremely ironic as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1CgHaQVIP8

I like how the guy furthest from the engine bolts like gently caress, and the guy in the foreground has an unhurried, almost bored reaction to the assumed loud bang.

"Ahh gently caress, another cone-strike..."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

two forty posted:

Salt sucks, but spinning out and breaking bones and/or dying sucks worse. Cars are expendable and if you live where they salt the roads you accept rust and deal with it. The vitriol against salt in this thread is remarkable. You value your stupid $4,000 Miata more than your health/life? That's also why people up north with genuinely nice, unique, or special cars have winter beaters.

And yet, there are de-icing agents that are non-toxic and don't destroy chassis.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kill-9 posted:

Well, I think I know why I have no oil pressure in the Thunderbird.

You really should display that somewhere. It's fantastic looking and you made it with your own car!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Powershift posted:

Spiders isn't even on the list? they like to hide in dark spaces like the footwell, and your car doesn't have a roof to keep them out.

That's what the fire's for.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CommieGIR posted:

I snickered pretty hard as the generators kicked on and the servers went from on, to off, to on again and the DBA had a heart attack. We killed two power supplies doing that quick transition from on to off to on again.

The military uses a well-known brand of UPS in Afghanistan. They never loving worked.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hillridge posted:

That thing is waaaaaay more than just a 10/100 NIC.

Yeah it's also hilariously broken and unresponsive.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kastein posted:

Just gonna whore this pic out again

are you holding it together with your middle finger? :laffo:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slung Blade posted:

gently caress it man, you've got a big lathe and a bunch of beefy steel rods laying around.

Spin your own! (weld on the flanges though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um-biLfru-c

That final shot of the guy holding the before and after made me envision a Zlidjan branded bell-housing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The only disaster I see is not even putting a cursory attempt at protecting to ground from all that oil.