Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Exploded the rear diff on the Defender at the rally this year. A spider gear decided to make a hasty exit out the back of the housing. What I get for trying to show off in front of photographers from 3 different magazines. I was so hoping for a cover shot finally. Who did get on that cover? My wife in our Classic. *sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Kotaru posted:

There is a video of a f150 tow truck trying to pull some jeep out of the mud and it ends up bending in half from the strain. I can't seem to find that one.

You're looking for the truck trying to unstick a Disco. The guy that owns the Disco posts on a popular Rover site. That poor Ford went home with its tail tucked. Literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqCy7ZxVdgI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqCy7ZxVdgI

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

blugu64 posted:

'Let me tell you something about that'

This guy is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbddKFgMVew

Awesome up until he tries to convince me that this lift kit is great. That lift would get torn up if it ever left the mall parking lot. Lots of very important bit hanging down way too low. I'm more of a coil guy but given the choice I'd take the old leaf spring set up over that fancy '$20,000' abomination.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

I've seen transfer cases go before but that takes it to new heights(lows?). I hope you weren't miles from a road like I've been when I've detonated diffs. You can limp home with only one diff. Hard to go anywhere without a whole transfer case.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

After our Rover rally last month where we got a lot of rain I pulled off the wheels and was greeted by this sight X 8(both Defender and Range Rover Classic). What I get for parking the trucks in the middle of creeks while I spotted others through tough spots. Water found its way into all the bearings. Luckily bearings are a cheap, easy fix on Land Rovers.

It's always a joy to walk into the auto parts store and say I need a wheel bearing for a '94 Defender. They ask 'front or rear?' and I tell them they're the same. They ask 'inner or outer?' I say it still doesn't matter. When I try to explain that it's the same part number for all of them they always doubt me until they pull it up themselves. It's nice to have all the bearings at all 4 corners, inner and outer be exactly the same for both the D-90 and RRC. I always keep a set in the offroad tool kit just in case.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

heyou posted:

03' Land Rover Freelander. Won't start. Let's take a look, shall we?

Bad engine in a Freelander? Never!

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

heyou posted:

From what I've read, this WILL happen to EVERY freelander engine eventually. Not sure if even a re-man would fix it eventually.

Every Freelander owner I know has gone through at least one engine. Some more than one. There's a reason they are the paria of the Rover world. I guess Land Rover decided they needed a new crappy model and gave us the Evoque.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Lilbeefer posted:

The Freelander 2 has been excellent and has the awesome 2.2 Turbodiesel PSA engine. Shame it kept the name but it hasn't stopped people buying it.

You mean the 2.2 we don't get in the States? We've never gotten a factory diesel Land Rover. Also, in the States that would be called the LR2 like the Disco3 is an LR3/LR4. Yes, lame names.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Lilbeefer posted:

We definitely do, not sure why we wouldn't if we get every other JLR diesel engine...

The U.S. does not get the TDV8. We get no Land Rover diesels over here.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Ola posted:

Aerated ice cream expanding, certainly. Chip bags which you can pop open with one hand anyway, no problem seeing that. Aluminum soda cans, no.

I used to live at 6,000ft and work at essentially sea level. We'd shop in the valley and we learned never to buy soda in a can, 2 liter only. Invariably you'd end up with an exploded can in the grocery bag once you got home. They get very rigid and the slightest tap would make them go *boom*. Ice cream had to be bought in a tub so the lid could expand. We'd end up with about 25% more ice cream than when we left the store.

My father worked for a food manufacturer at the time. They were having problems sending their frozen food to Denver. 1/2 the bags were popping open on the trip over. For a few weeks I got a shitton of free Italian food. I just had to carry it home and report on the bag conditions. Every time they came out with new packaging, same thing. I'd be asked to be their Altitude Tester.

So I have to side with InterceptorV8.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Someone needs to work on their parallel parking skills. "Parallel to the road, ma'am. Not perpendicular."

If you don't believe it there's a video of the aftermath here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niEIuwLCCiQ

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

renraku posted:

Not a mechanical failure and also not what happened.

Really? Wow, I really thought that's what happened. :rolleyes:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

renraku posted:

:rolleyes: then thank you for posting it in the wrong thread after it was posted by someone else in the right thread.

Look at the post times. The are within a few minutes. I didn't see that post until I'd already posted here. You realize people do take time to read through threads and once they've read one that day/morning/hour they don't go rushing back through them all just before posting just in case it was posted elsewhere? Dupes happen. I'm sorry it offended you so.

As for the thread, I didn't think it was awesome as much as a failure so I put it here. There's no "Post pictures of horrible human failures" thread that I see. Though maybe there should be.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Petekill posted:

I may be blind, but can someone point out to me where the problem is?

Looks like the footprints lead to this spot. It's very subtle in this pic. I saw it before I noticed the prints.

edit: beaten but I can't delete my pic. :-\

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

How about a near Horrible Failure? My neighbor came over to talk to me this morning while I was working in the garage. While standing in the driveway chatting with him about how I sold my Defender, I noticed my Range Rover Classic had some weird crazy camber going on the passenger front wheel.

On closer inspection.

Holy poo poo! I was driving this down the freeway at 80MPH just last night. I have no idea how those bolts backed out. I've never had them out in the 4 years I've had the truck. Pulled them all and Loctited them back in. Good as new. I'm still scratching my head on that one. I heard no strange bangs or clunks. I did notice some tire squealing in the garage at work the day before but thought it was because I was in a hurry.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Go look at a few 4x4 tractors. ancient live axle Toyotas employ the same axle design.

Still used to this day on Defenders. Not fancy but can take a beating.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Tomarse posted:

From some reason landrover decided to weld them onto the salisbury/Dana axles on my 101 and fit a split seal. I have had to fill the pits in mine with chemical metal to slow the drips.

101,eh? I just sold my 90 for a princely sum and was looking at a 101 Ambi to import. Am I bat poo poo insane?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

stump posted:

Saw that on Reddit and thought of your white classic. Didn't realise it was you!

Is it just me or is the wheel side of that coupling bent? It is probably just the oil and muck making it look like that. If the wheel camber was already our could to excess force cause it to want to separate, maybe combined with vibration from an out of balance wheel?

It was just the built up gunk and crap making it look bent. I made sure it was all good. The weird bit is I felt zero vibration from the front. Just that one tire squeal in a parking garage the day before, I guess as it clunked open/closed. Last thing I want is something to go horribly wrong when my wife is driving as she does occasionally. Sometimes she takes pity on me and lets me drive her Golf R to work and she takes mine. As I drive a nice twisty road to work it's a special treat.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Philip J Fry posted:

I think it was some sort of 'home brew' long arm with the passenger upper control arm left out. (3 link! :downs:)

Lookit that flex, man!

Seriously, that spring looks about ready to fly out and kill 1/2 the kids in the elementary school across the street.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Transmission? From what?

Saw this somewhere else. It was quoted as being what $35K in damage to a GT-R looked like.

edit: Found it on reddit. "It's the VR38DETT from a 2010 Nissan GT-R The crate motor we ordered was just over $35k after taxes."
http://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/15l1fj/this_is_what_is_left_of_a_35000_motor_after_it/

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Fucknag posted:

Literally anything pre-Ralph Nader, and quite a bit after. I know some of the Chevy/GMC pickups had them well into the 70s.

Up until just a few years ago Defenders kept the tank under the passenger seat (driver's seat for the Brits). I'd thought about retrofitting one there to supplement the rear tank on my NAS before I sold it.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Model A, right?

Guy at Cars and Coffee this past weekend had a fully restored one. Down to the leather fan belt and hoses. It was a thing of beauty.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Done exactly that with a Harbor Freight vice trying to press in bushings. *CRACK*

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Powershift posted:

I have a camera with LEDs that plugs into a laptop that would fit through that hole. I think i paid $40, it's a seriously good investment.

$40? Where? Fits through a hole the size of a sparkplug? I require something like this. For, um, science. Yeah. Science.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

I was in a state of perpetual cringing for the entire duration of that video. :stare:

I felt like a kid again watching that drat jack-in-the-box and waiting for that last note to play.

*POP* goes the weasel!

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

I flat refuse to pull any rover dash older than 2000. exception is hard plastic dashed classics.

when I replaced the dash structure in my p38 prior to the accident, I removed all the support bolts and the thing literally caved in on itself. 96' fwiw.

When my Classic needed a new heater core I had my buddy's shop do it. Traded some old parts I had laying around in the form of a complete '66 Series IIA. The frame, motor, and anything else steel was shot so it was basically just the aluminum body panels. I think I did well on that deal.

When the core went it was apparently a sight to behold. A friend of mine was borrowing it and flying down the road at 70MPH with another friend of mine in trail. The core went and instantly filled the entire cabin with white hot steam. My buddy in the rear vehicle said the whole truck wobbled when the my friend driving went blind then it started looking like a Cheech and Chong flick driving down the road when he got the windows rolling down.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Had a failure on the way home from work Monday night. Was driving along merrily and heard a couple squeaks from the truck. I thought it was another leaf caught in the heater blower. No, it was the water pump explosively failing. The sound was the engine fan hitting the back of the radiator. The engine got a hell of a good steam cleaning from the coolant blowing out past the failed bearing and I left a smoke/steam trail that blotted out 4 lanes of freeway. The video shows after I was slowing down off the freeway in neutral when I thought the engine died but it was just the belts getting shredded by a loose fan in the engine bay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOMoOwDpu8A

Last few seconds show the nice quarter panel and d-pillar that cursedshitbox was nice enough to pull and ship to me. I still need to get that d-pillar recovered. "that's not good..."

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

It was all vented out. The video doesn't show the time lag until I popped the hood. There's a 2 minute cut between when I set the cam down and remounted it to the windshield. Notice you don't see the hood pop up. That's because I'd popped it and hopped out and listened for venting then remembered to hop in and clip the camera back up. Trust me, I'm familiar with the whole 'vent cap deciding to fail while your head is in close proximity' thing. I don't want to do that again.

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 11, 2013

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

Or, like me, you are in such a blind fury that your only means of getting to work is leaking and overheating again after you replaced the radiator (hooray for EJ25 head gaskets) that you immediately uncork the pressure cap after shutting off the car.

My experience was trying to slowly uncork an overheated Rover only to have the cheap plastic overflow cap literally disintegrate in my hand. *BOOM* Coolant everywhere. How I remained unscalded I have no clue. I was covered in that sweet tasting poo poo as was my entire car and driveway. It happened in front of my wife and now she's scared shitless any time I open the hood of a warmed up vehicle.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

Except for gear oil, never taste gear oil.

I don't think anyone sets out to intentionally taste gear oil. It just drips into their mouth right at the moment they open it to ask for another wrench. Cue spitting/coughing/cursing fit for the next 5 minutes.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Yeah. A water pump for a V8 is £30-£50 here.

I called all over town and the cheapest was $250. I got in touch with an parts shop I've had good luck with in the past and got one for $35/shipped. The Rangie is only driven 3-4K miles a year so that should hold it for at least 10 years if not longer.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Posted a couple weeks ago about the Range Rover Classic eating its water pump. Finally got around to replacing it this weekend. God drat are they expensive for these era Rovers. $250. Move forward a couple model years and the pumps are under $50. gently caress that poo poo.

You can see where the blades of the pump made contact with the front and back of the housing. The bearing had about 1 inch of in-and-out play on it also. This allowed the fan to pull forward and contact the back of the radiator. Luckily it was only a few bent fins. Nothing too bad there.

Also, fan clutch nuts are the work of Satan himself. I wish Rover would decide if they want right or left handed threads on those fuckers. Yes, different years have different threads. We spent over an hour trying to get the drat thing off and only managed to tighten it on so hard we couldn't remove it. We ended up removing the water pump with the fan still attached. This was its own special brand of hell. Don't try this at home. I then took it to a local shop and slipped one of the guys :10bux: to get that piece of poo poo off the pump.

But she's back together and driving. Now I can transport Xmas gifts in a couple days. There's no way I was strapping a bike to the top of the T-Bird. Christmas tree, fine, but no bikes.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

yeeeuuuup. same one thats used on the BMW powered L322 too.

Luck you the impeller didnt trash the cover completely. those arent cheap.

Last time I removed a fan clutch was on a '97 D-90 I believe. I swear it was right hand thread. Maybe it was a Disco. I can't remember now. But I know it was right handed.

The cover is really just cosmetic scratches. It sounded like holy hell when it went though. I've done a couple water pumps in Rovers and never seen one like that with so much forward/back play.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Landrover clearly don't want people to to remove fans!. I've never managed to get the clutch apart on mine and have always removed the whole assembly from the pump pulley by spending hours removing the 4 nuts & bolts behind the fan by hand turning them one flank at a time using a stubby/custom bent spanner.

The nut is rather easy to get to on the RRC with an adjustable wrench. I know on the 90 it was a right bitch to get to without the correct tool. The hard part is holding the pulley in place while cranking on it. Again, easier with the right tool. It got a healthy does of anti-sieze when it was reassembled this time. Nevermore.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

StormDrain posted:

What about an impact?

If you could see the location of the nut you'd understand why that doesn't work. This pic is close(not from a Rover obviously as there's easy access to the nut) but imagine the nut is tucked more up behind the blades of the fan and you need to get to it at an angle.

Also, it helps if you're not cranking on it the wrong direction for an hour too. :hurr:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Motronic posted:

I made a tool for that.

So did I, out of an old TV wall mount. I then proceeded to tighten that bitch so hard with it I was hosed. I was quite tempted to throw out the fan and install electric fans while I was in there then I realized I really needed those pullies so I had to get that drat nut off.

Oh, and in classic Rover fashion I broke off one of the water pump bolts when putting it back on. I've done three water pumps on Rovers and I'm 3-for-3 on breaking off that bolt at aboutt 1 o'clock on the front of the pump. Are those things made out of spaghetti noodles? Luckily, I used enough sealant and there's two bolts in close proximity to keep it sealed. Drove it into work this morning and nary a drop to be see. Also, the gauge is reading lower than it ever has. I guess that pump had been dying for a while.

The bright side is that the weather was in the 60-70s this weekend so it was nice being and working outside. I don't know how you guys up north do that poo poo in winter. Heated garages I'd hope.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You Am I posted:

XD-XF Falcons had awful cheap diecast lift up exterior door handles. Most Australians know how to replace those in their sleep.

Range Rover Classics have that same kind of handle. Yank, *SNAP*! If I find a Classic in a junk yard the handles are one of the first things I pull off to keep as spares. Along with window switches, window motors, and seat controls.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Seat switches are the same ones in 80s benzes, break off the power head rest switch.
motors don't usually fail, but the rollers do. go to home depot and get the 7/8s drawer repair roller kit and swap em.

I've had 3 different motors burn out in the past few years. I guess it's to be expected on a truck pushing 25 years old. I really need to replace the seals so less water gets in the doors when it rains. It's always interesting opening a door after a rain and watching the water pour out the drain hole for the next minute. That and the drat sunroof seals. I'm so very close to just sealing that bitch closed.

Who am I kidding? You can never keep water out of a Rover.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Not a picture. A video.

This happened to my unlucky rear end while driving home this evening. Minding my own business and then "Where the gently caress did the road go?!?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3UYO54nvCM

Luckily it was a nice day and I already had the windows down. It must have looked like a Cheech and Chong movie from behind.

Only saving grace is I had just topped that hill at the beginning of the video and from there it's down hill 6 blocks to my house. I coasted into my driveway with steam pouring out the windows and little momentum to spare. I'd been smelling a bit of coolant on the drive home but I saw steam pouring from a Kia in front of me on the freeway and thought it was them. Sadly, it was me too.

Someone grabbed a pic of me coasting home.

I had the heater core replaced on this thing <2 years ago. This is not cool. I don't have the money to pay 8 hours labor for someone else to do it so I get to waste a weekend replacing a $35 part that should have lasted 20 years like the previous one. I should do the blower motor while I'm in there but that's around $200/new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

the parts market for rovers has gone to poo poo. if it has the britpart logo, it may as well be shitpart.
Try stuffing some american/GM copper core in it this time. :D

You happen to know what American copper ones will fit in a Classic? I don't want to do this job ever again.

From what I understand the story is: One day Land Rover placed a heater core in an empty room. Then they built a Range Rover around it.