Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

DELETED posted:

Yeah, maybe the purple ones are different or higher quality but the blue ones can't handle good old non-chlorinated Brakleen and similar brake cleaners. I did get some Gunk brake cleaner once. That stuff sucks, it doesn't smell like brake cleaner should and seems to only mildly inconvenience wasps.

I will say that ATF is a drat good cleaner for metal parts though.

I worked in a machine shop many years ago where there was a covered drum of 50% ATF and 50% acetone (I think). The head machinist used to call it "The Dip" right after "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" came out, and it had the same effect on various crap as the movie dip did on 'toons. Wasn't great for skin either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

some texas redneck posted:

Reading the story behind that just made me nauseated. And irate as hell.

Motronic should show up soon to tell us why that's normal and if we've never worked as a professional tow driver we have no ability to understand.

OK, I keed. That's just loving wrong.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

jamal posted:

I don't get the complaining about how cars aren't made for like 1% of the drivers who care about how their throttle is mapped. If you are a pro racecar driver who demands a perfectly linear throttle map all you need is free software and a cable.

Well, on the flip side, if 99% of people don't care how it's mapped why can't it be mapped for the people who do give a poo poo? You don't need to be a pro anything to be aware that most DBW throttle implementations suck. All you need to do is try to heel and toe - it either cuts the throttle because you're already on the brake, or the damping function ignores the blip unless you hold it for much longer than you're used to.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Root Bear posted:

Something horrible happened on the way to work this morning:

The handle snapped off right as I was shifting into 3rd at about 30mph under light/moderate acceleration, nothing outrageous. Fortunately I was able to safely pull off into a parking lot without incident and after assessing the damage; I was able to manipulate what's left of the shift lever enough to make it the rest of the way to work and back home. The new shifter will be here in a few days. More pics to come then.

I'll admit I have fun with my car on occasion, but I know better than to abuse it since it's my only vehicle. I've been in and around cars for nearly my entire life and have spent the better part of a decade in the auto repair business and I've never seen or heard of this happening before. :wtf:

Good luck with the install of the new shifter. I put a GMM Ripshift in my '04 and it was one of the most tedious things I've ever done. There's one bolt that you can only get 1/8 of a turn on at a time with the clearance between the tranny and the tunnel. If you're OK with it, you might want to drop the exhaust and the transmission brace to give yourself more room. If I had to do it all over again, I would just drill a hole in the tunnel from the top (or buy a set of ratcheting box wrenches). Also, Locktite the poo poo out of everything.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

Also, this video is actually of a hard drive. The sound hasn't been doctored at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtk0zbJ8Aig

This is video of a system with a perfectly functional hard drive... probably a 20MB Miniscribe. All the noises you hear after the screen goes full green are the heads seeking, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj1n2_qEq5k

I suppose that it's more of a mechanical success tho.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Kill-9 posted:

Oh god. The memories. An AT&T Unix machine almost exactly like that was my intro to UNIX and the Internet circa 1988. A 1200baud(maybe it was 2400) connection to UCSD and I was in geek heaven. None of my fellow students understood me when I said it was going to change everything. Still a *nix geek 25+ years later.

Yeah, it got to the point I almost knew the entire boot process by heart just by listening to it. Re-installing AT&T System V Unix off 30+ 5-1/4 floppy disks was an experience I could do without, however. I've been forced to learn Windows/AD, but I'm still the only one where I work who can work on the Linux/Solaris/AIX machines.

Viggen posted:

3B1? Ever been on EFnet? If so, I probably know you. :v:

That doesn't sound much different from the single ST-225 seeking sound clip they've used as "GENERIC COMPUTER NOISE" from the 80s all the way through finger pinch enhancing CSI in 2012. It is the Wilhelm scream of technology.

The 3B1 has a bump in the case under the monitor to accommodate a full height 40MB Miniscribe drive, the 7300 was smooth. My dad still has 3 of them on a shelf somewhere (I think my dad may qualify as a computer hoarder). I was never on EFnet, but did learn UUCP pathing to download things from a place called "The Shop". I also wasted countless hours playing the original rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
^^^^^^^

Holy poo poo. Is that all 4matics or just some particular model run?