Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I have a not-so-horrible mechanical failue.

Broken valve spring on an ohv Sable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Left Ventricle posted:

How does that happen? Float? I was always under the impression that those Vulcan engines were drat near indestructible.

I have no clue. This car is a 1999 with 60k on it. As you can see, it's really clean inside. The oil gets changed every 3k.

I used the rope trick to hold the valve up. Replaced the spring. It runs good again. I guess it was just a defect in the metal of the spring itself. That's all I can guess.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Symptom: Brake pedal goes to the floor at traffic lights. I assume master cylinder. But I decided to check for leaks real quick before I dove in.

Yup.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
VW mechanic?

VW keeps the flywheel on the transmission side.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

spog posted:

Aluminium valve caps.

All of the aluminum valve caps we sell at my store have plastic inserts for the threads. Nothing quite like destroying a $100 tire pressure monitoring sensor to get a corroded valve cap off.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I finally got one.

Notice how the face of the rotor is sitting inside of the vents - it's a very thin surface.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Various gently caress ups we keep at work

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

some texas redneck posted:

I see Ford hasn't learned much from the cruise control recall.

What's with the weather sirens at the beginning? Or is that the mating call of an all-volunteer FD? I assume someone had called the FD long before the video started, and the FD doesn't show up until over 5 minutes in, in a pretty small city.

All of our fire departments seem to work like that. I live right next to one. Visitors call it the "air raid siren" and I always forget to tell them about it.

You're sleeping and suddenly SILENT HILL happens.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

QuarkMartial posted:

Am I being dumb or is something funky going on? My first thought was "That's not a Cadillac, that's a Yukon or something." I posted it to FB and a (opinionated, jerk) of a friend is like, "Uh, GM uses the same bodies across different platforms so yeah they're basically the same thing."

But I feel like it's more of someone took a Suburban or something and slapped some Cadillac badges on it. It just doesn't look right. Then again, maybe it's a beat to hell Cadillac with some poo poo aftermarket taillights and I'm just a doof :v:

The 99 and 2000 Escalades looked like that - but that one has aftermarket tailights. They looked almost exactly like the GMC Yukon on this first generation. Both have the piece of trim at the bottom of the tailgate just like this one does.

The Cadillac badge there is in the wrong place - it's supposed to be smaller, and the word "Escalade" are at the bottom right on a real one.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Throatwarbler posted:

It's Audi's variable valve lift system.

That looks just great. Imagine when one individual actuator fails - one cylinder running on one cam profile, and others not. Just imagine troubleshooting THAT.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
ARP recommended torquing these in a three stage sequence. I read that part after I torqued it right to 80lbs from 0, and snapped one off in the block, ruining the head gasket in the process.

Extraction was however successful.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

iwentdoodie posted:

Well,let's go do some oil pan mining today...

Oh poo poo boys! Silver! We dun it! Let's trace this back to the source.

Fount it boys!

So yeah. Bearing in 3 pieces, oil pan looks like a stripper rolled around it. Rods all look straight, so seems like that was the issue.

I'm very afraid that I'll have something like this to post in this thread after tomorrow. I'm doing a compression test on my no-more-starting 1.8 8v tomorrow. If it fails that - the head is coming off.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Saga posted:

As someone who hates diesel passenger cars and every VW but the Corrado, I am OK with this whole situation.

The first FROM THE INTERNET person I met was driving a TDI converted Corrado. I had never heard of or seen a corrado at that point, and the novelty of the TDI swap was totally lost on me.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Things I found working as a mechanic:

98% of the cars we work on have automatics. Somebody brought a stupid Mazda Tribute with a stick and all the mechanics lost their minds because they'd never seen such a thing and thought it was awesome.

When parking the car outside for the customer, NEVER set the parking brake - most customers are not aware they have one or how to unset it. Especially the pedal ones. MYSTERIOUS! Also - most people call it the EMERGENCY BRAKE! Oh god like you'd ever want to lock your rear wheels in an emergency stopping situation.

NEVER turn off the radio. Most people don't know how to turn it on. Just turn it down a bit. Turn it off? YOU BROKE MY RADIO!

MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON WHEN I TURN THE KEY TO ON BUT DON'T START IT! IT WAS NEVER LIKE THIS BEFORE! Yeah okay moron. It's called a bulb check.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Uthor posted:

All I need on for regular maintenance on my GTI is a 10 mm socket, torx bit, triple square bit, 17 mm wrench, 19 mm socket, 36 mm socket, 10 mm Allen driver, brake caliper tool (to turn the piston as it retracts), and a special tool to drain the oil out of the oil filter housing. :colbert:

My Scirocco came from the factory with a 13x10 open end wrench, a screwdriver with phillips and slotted ends, and a 17mm tire iron that is formed into a spark plug socket in the long end. One can take half the car apart with just that!

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

14 INCH DICK posted:

Lady decided to head over Stevens Pass without oil or coolant in the engine, pulled over after it stopped steaming*while moving*. Compression results as follows.

1: 0 psi
2: 90 psi
3: 120 psi
4: 0 psi
5: 0 psi
6: 0 psi

Said she couldn't get it to start after she stopped, and had it towed to us.

Tech recommends two new spark plugs, why bother with the other four anymore?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

tater_salad posted:

I just assumed they dumped a bottle of gumout in the tank and charged $80

We do that one too - but charge $10 for it. The front guys are supposed to recommend it every 5k.

The real fuel system cleaning setup is pretty fancy. It's not just suck it with a vacuum line like with Seafoam. The tool is like an IV drip, you hang it from the hood latch, dump the bottle of magic in, and set it to drip over the course of like 30 minutes of idling. Run it through too hard and you can cause the car to bog down and throw codes!

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

sirnollem posted:

Speaking of the IV bottle does anyone know where you can buy one if you aren't a shop. I have been trying to find for a while now and no luck.

I found this site: http://www.qmimo.com/3-qmi-3-step-fuel-system-cleaning-kit/

QMI is the company that makes the stuff.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Sudo Echo posted:

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/3dlEFRVh.jpg[timg]

Didn't skip timing, somehow.

That's frickin amazing.

The water pump sprocket - slightly off center. So subtle. So HORRIBLE!

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Right. I should have known that. I just dealt with it on a Subaru Forester. Note how the stud is not even there. I had to replace the water pump just to have threads for the new one.

Mine did the melt-the-timing-cover-and-depart-the-vehicle all 16 valves bent.

Replaced them, did the headgaskets, new timing cover and it's back on the road.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
These were on a 98 Expedition with 40,000 miles on it.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I did a blinker fluid flush on a Cobalt today. Couldn't figure out how it filled up with water. Blew it all out with compressed air. Was considering putting it in the dunk tank to check for leaks. That's a little too much dedication when we're only really changing a light bulb though.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
A true horrible mechanical failure is the GMC Acadia headlight. (or Chevy Traverse) It's just an H11 bulb right? how hard could it be. Hey wait why is this going to pay me freaking 1.5 flat rate hours for changing a bulb? OH GOD.

So you have to jack the damned thing up, remove like 16 fasteners on the inner fender liner. Then you can finally see the back of the headlight assembley where you can pull the little cover off and discover that the stupid H11 connector is burned out (this happens often on GM's H11 bulb cars). After waiting an hour for the pigtail to arrive, installed it, and got it back together.

Then the customer gets a $300 bill to replace a normal halogen headlight bulb.

EDIT: OH you know where the battery is on this travesty, I mean Traverse? IT'S IN THE FLOOR BEHIND THE PASSENGER SEAT. You need a T20 torx driver to open this door under the carpet. Then you get to change a battery covered in spilled soda and coffee.

Picture of pigtail installed there

0toShifty fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 27, 2015

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

some texas redneck posted:

My 2006 Saturn just requires removing 2 pins on each side, and the complete headlamp assembly literally falls out, held only by the headlamp bulb wires and turn/park/DRL bulb wires.. :confused: The first time I changed a bulb I figured I'd have to be a contortionist.. then opened the manual.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/kii3m8K.png[timg]

The sedan version requires removing two dust caps in addition. And removing the park/turn/DRL lamp, which isn't shown in that illustration.

I thought they stole that idea from the Suburban? :confused:

GMs are either REALLY hard or REALLY easy. There's no in-between! That two pin thing is used on a lot of GM cars and trucks. Just not enough of them though.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
There are several mechanical failures to enjoy in this photo:

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Today's mechanical failure: staring death in the FACE

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

BraveUlysses posted:

couldnt someone just slowly release the pressure from the valve stem? it doesnt seem too dangerous unless its a heavy truck tire

I removed the valve core while standing behind the tire machine in case it exploded. Nothing bad happened.

Here's a picture of the inner bead- the cable is exposed

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

14 INCH DICK posted:

And I thought this diag couldn't get any better after the work order.

I love how the "FOR SEVERAL MONTHS" got put on its own line. By itself. It's loving perfect.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I was driving though a church parking lot and I found the creepy volvo parking zone in the back corner

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

You think that's impressive? Check out my stopper.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/Dk6wH18h.jpg[timg]

I just took the stopper motor out of my car. Took several trips to the parts store to get one that started instead.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Yesterday we replaced a headlight bulb in a 2007 PT Cruiser. It didn't work. The tech checked all the fuses. He swapped bulbs side-to-side. Then checked for voltage at the plug. Nothing.

Plug in the diagnostic computer. Listing all the modules - it has a TOTALLY INTEGRATED POWER MODULE. Oh great these things break a lot don't they? Pull the codes from the TIPM, and get LH LOWBEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH. Also got LH LOWBEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW. Hmmm. How about delete the codes! Turn off the car. Turn it on again? HEADLIGHT WORKS! YAY!

Thanks Chrysler. Needed a goddamned scantool to replace the headlight.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Collateral Damage posted:

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Yeah - this troubleshooting was over the course of two days. The car was turned on and off multiple times. Nobody tried disconnecting the battery though. That probably would have reset the TIPM codes as well.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Customer brings in a 2008 Jetta for an oil change.

A volkswagen with four warning lights on? Seems about average. I did want to drive it about 10 miles though.

Yeah - the annual inspection expired... IN 2010!

Customer says "Did you notice the check engine light is on?" Yes actually - we noticed it ten months ago when it was on and we told you your inspection was expired then too.

0toShifty fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 17, 2015

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Splizwarf posted:

The yellow one in the tach is a partially obscured TPMS warning. Tire low, bro!

Although by the description I'll bet a dollar it's actually on because one or more of the TPMS sensors are dead or missing.

e: the grenade in the top center is the Goatse indicator, it means you are driving a VW.

You're quite right about the TPMS - all the tires are full. Reset attempted, I believe that two sensors were dead and or missing

The Goatse light is the brake pad wear indicator light. Not sure about the real cause of that one. This light has two functions. A: The brake pad warning lamp illuminates if the pads are worn. B: The brake pad warning lamp illuminates if there is a fault in the activation of the brake pad warning lamp.

Only VW

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
On today's edition of dumb dashboards:

This is a Dodge Durango - I think it was a 2014. It asked me to press the brake pedal and push the start button. But it doesn't have a start button. And when you turn the key - you can start it without pressing the brake. What the hell chrylser? Is it just to annoy the cheap bastards who didn't buy the one with a smartkey?

This BMW had the usual lights, and some strange light in the middle. I understand it's to indicate an issue with traction or stability control - but what a non-intuitive icon!

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Saga posted:

That's stability control. Usually indicates driver has turned dsc off because it's no fun. The arrow going in a circle indicates it will allow the car to rotate. Not very confusing. Is ford's "your car is drunk" icon better?

I want it to look like that sign of a car skidding with the skid marks that cross each other!

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
^^^ That lift shifing? That's just crazy.

Every tire is a run flat if you just believe! This was a brand new car with 1,600 miles on it.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
The shop I work in is pretty old, but it is huge. It's an old JCPenney auto center. We have a crazy mix of lifts.

We still have six center post lifts. Most of them have a second pole with a lock piece that is supposed to fall out sideways to mechanically lock it but only in the most raised position. You can stuff a can under the raise/lower handle to make them extra dangerous but almost automatic. This is a safety violation, but it happens a lot.
One of them has the arms that come to the car from the side of the car sort of like the new inground lifts - but those arms reach to one single GIANT piston in the center. It has a pipe that sticks up with a lock inside a hole - again it only works at the top position. It has giant doors in the center that the lift closes into. Sometimes if the lift rotates too much, the doors won't close properly, and the car will lower onto the doors, crushing them. Gotta raise it back up and fix the doors and re-lower it, guiding the lift down straight while your improper can holds the handle for you.

We have one new inground two post lift. This thing is awesome - it has pneumatic controls. it has ratcheting locks every few inches, and it automatically lowers with one button.

We have four newer two-post standard lifts. They have a ratcheting lock every few inches. These have mechanical controls - you must hold down one lever to release the locks, and another to actually lower it.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Honda actually has TSBs about rodent damage to the knock sensor wiring harness on V6 models.

Honda also sells OEM RODENT DETERRENT TAPE http://www.amazon.com/Honda-4019-2317-Rodent-Tape/dp/B00AJTG3N0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Why does a stock, modern car need a vacuum pump?

Hybrids also have no manifold vacuum and have electric vacuum pumps. It sounds like a cow actually. Especially audible on the Prius C. Pump the pedal more and you make the cow moo some more.

Also the master cylinder on a Toyota hybrid is ridiculously expensive. It's gotta sense and simulate a regular brake pedal when the car is actually regen braking.

This is on a Gen 3 prius. It's got the ABS module built into it. How much? Try $1600-$2000 for an OEM one!