Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Look at the APC AP9224. There's an ethernet connector, a serial connector, and an rj45 connector that connects to a pdu. It has no connection for power, so it's getting juice either from ethernet or the rj45.

(power from the rj45 makes more sense now that I think about it but it's still just a guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Wait, what? How does an ethernet card on a BATTERY BACKUP not power itself?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
That's not on a UPS, it attaches to a glorified power strip. My guess is that one gets power over the RJ-11 port that connects it to the PDU. It's discontinued, so it also probably had the old network card (not as good, but still more than a 10/100 NIC).

APC does love to use RJ-45 ports for non-ethernet connections though.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, they'll go back to CAT5 ports being used as RS232 a'la CISCO style.

I wish I could have bullied the inventor as a kid.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Groda posted:

I wish I could have bullied the inventor as a kid.

Its like the guy that doesn't understand how reproductive organs work.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Its like the guy that doesn't understand how reproductive organs work.

That can be said for a lotta nerds in that field.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cursedshitbox posted:

That can be said for a lotta nerds.

Coulda left it there.

Actually, does horrible sex ed in the US count as a mechanical failure? Because I work with a 22 year old female who found out what a clitoris was when someone made a joke during lunch one day.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iwentdoodie posted:

Actually, does horrible sex ed in the US count as a mechanical failure? Because I work with a 22 year old female who found out what a clitoris was when someone made a joke during lunch one day.
How can you not know what parts your own body has? :psyduck:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
"US sex ed."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Hillridge posted:

Wait, are we talking about one of these, or something else?

Man, that brings me back. I reverse engineered one of those partially in hopes of reprogramming the firmware and bending it to my will probably near a decade ago now.

gently caress, now I feel old.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I'd love to hear how far you got. The one in the picture is the new style that came out a few years ago. You were likely monkeying with its predecessor or the even older one that came before it.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
My Girlfriends windshield fought a goose. They both lost. There were feathers stuck in the glass. She did the right thing though, and hit that fucker head on rather than risk her life swerving or something else stupid.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Hillridge posted:

I'd love to hear how far you got. The one in the picture is the new style that came out a few years ago. You were likely monkeying with its predecessor or the even older one that came before it.

This would have been 2004 to 2006 or so... and obsolete enough to have been thrown out, so figure around turn of the century era hardware, based on battery lifespan.

I haven't actually thought about it since then. I got as far as tracing out the UART pins on the MCU, IIRC some of the network interface MAC/PHY wiring, determined it was possible, and promptly lost interest and started toying around with some other dumb project. My aim was to make a tiny network host for a DEC VT220/320/420/520 family serial terminal.

If I didn't have four squintillion projects on the back burner already I'd dig that one back up, it was a neat-ish idea.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SocketSeven posted:

My Girlfriends windshield fought a goose. They both lost. There were feathers stuck in the glass. She did the right thing though, and hit that fucker head on rather than risk her life swerving or something else stupid.

Can you believe loving Fabio took a goose to the face?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Phy posted:

Can you believe loving Fabio took a goose to the face?

Thats nothing. Falco took a loving bus to the face.

Alt response: Tom Cruise took a Goose to the face too. Val Kimer was jealous. :v:

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

SocketSeven posted:

I am pretty sick of hearing that argument. Every situation is different, and if you are a generally alert driver, and know your surroundings, there are obviously many situations where an evasive maneuver is safe, and can also avoid a situation like this. It always gets described like "Hit the animal, or die in a fire". And if that is how someone actually thinks, I fear that I share the roads with them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

From a pure financial standpoint, it's almost always better to hit the fucker instead of swerving.

Why?

If you have liability coverage and nothing else, well, you're hosed either way. Either you hit the animal and pay out of pocket for damages, or you swerve, possibly strike something else, and then you pay for your damages + your insurance pays for the damage for whatever you hit (counting as a liability claim); and if you're driving enough of a pile that you only carry liability, you're likely paying for a replacement vehicle either way. Better to keep the insurance rates lower.

If you have comprehensive, just hitting the fucker, in most states, will count as a comprehensive claim (and will be repaired for your comprehensive deductible). Which generally doesn't affect your rates much. If you swerve, see above, and you're still stuck paying out of pocket to fix your car unless you can prove you hit the animal first (and that the impact caused you to strike something else).

If you have full coverage, if you swerve and strike anything else, any damage incurred will be paid out under your liability + collision coverage (which can royally gently caress your rates over when renewal time comes around). The rest is... see above.

If you're an alert driver, and you know for sure that you have an out that won't cause damage to anything, take that out. 95% of drivers won't have such an opportunity, even if they're Breaking Bad alert. There's trees, other cars, pedestrians, fences, ditches, etc that all factor into that. I've actually stopped in the middle of a (rather remote) road before when I saw deer along the road, and the bastards wound up running into the car anyway (while I was stopped). Deer are loving stupid..

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A deer will jump TOWARDS a car swerving to avoid hitting it. They are the stupidest animal in the woods until you WANT to kill one.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Javid posted:

A deer will jump TOWARDS a car swerving to avoid hitting it. They are the stupidest animal in the woods until you WANT to kill one.

I've also heard mutiple anecdotes that dogs/cats will jump out of the way of a car if you stay in a straight line, but swerving increases the chance of you hitting them as you've both gone the same way.

And for content:

Aluminium valve caps.

I lost one of the plastic caps and found these for cheaper than buying a set of plastic ones from Halfords. Look pretty and should last a long time, right?

2 months later, I wanted to check the tyre pressure: bastard aluminium 'rust' between the cap and the brass valve stem. Corroded on solidly and while the cap was easy to grip with pliers, how do you grip a rubber valve stem?

I ended up hitting it with the pliers until the 'rust' broke free and I could undo it.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Budget Monty posted:

I am pretty sick of hearing that argument. Every situation is different, and if you are a generally alert driver, and know your surroundings, there are obviously many situations where an evasive maneuver is safe, and can also avoid a situation like this. It always gets described like "Hit the animal, or die in a fire". And if that is how someone actually thinks, I fear that I share the roads with them.

It's a goose. There are millions of them. It is not someones pet, it is not a person. It is a wild animal that has failed the natural selection process by flying headlong into a car. If a car was a predator, this goose would have flown into it's mouth.

no great loss, and sure as poo poo isn't worth risking any sort of loss of control through sudden swerving. Would you want your obituary to read "killed when startled by a goose in the road."?

A cat? A dog? Anything that could possibly be someones pet? Evasive action is warranted providing you're not having to drive into oncoming traffic causing a much more dangerous situation.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

spog posted:

Aluminium valve caps.

All of the aluminum valve caps we sell at my store have plastic inserts for the threads. Nothing quite like destroying a $100 tire pressure monitoring sensor to get a corroded valve cap off.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You can carefully dremel them off while leaving the valve intact, just cut a slot up either side.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Javid posted:

I've had 5 deer collisions. 3 of them were the fuckers ramming me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bucephalus posted:

I've told this story before, probably in this thread.

We have a family friend and he had a GMC K1500, the usual kind of long bed short box pickup truck you see a lot of around here. Forest green, practically brand new. It was pretty nice.

Anyway, he goes out deer hunting, comes back with no deer whatsoever. Halfway through the four hour drive back home, he sees a deer in the middle of the highway and comes to a controlled stop to allow it to cross.

The deer runs back onto the shoulder, starts tooling down the hill, does an immediate 180 and comes flying up the hillside and smashes its head into the backside of the cab where the door latch is. Deer breaks its neck, catches its head in the door mirror mount, and jams the door up against the frame of the truck as its stupid body repeatedly strikes the truck during its seizure-like death throes. Truck was totalled and he had to call the parks department to help him pry the deer's head out of the mirror frame and sign off on the paperwork for throwing it in the bed.

It made really good sausage, but not, like, $23000 worth of sausage.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 25, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I view deer as nothing more than really large tasty rats.

Kill 'em anytime you see one, you're probably doing someone a favor.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
When it comes to prey animals their whole mindset is "oh god it's chasing me it's gonna eat me," and consequently think that your attempts at dodging them are some kind of trick to catch them and they tend to cut right back to where they were. But then you try to dodge again and they cut away 180 right back into your course.

If you have enough warning but not enough time to brake, just aim straight at them and chase like a predator and flash your lights if it's at night. It's worked pretty well for me thus far.

Though if you get the odd retard deer who just broadsides your vehicle there's gently caress-all you can do there really. Aside from remembering to save the backstrap and keep a few other choice cuts from the grinder.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Bucephalus posted:

My mom had one accident and I've had one. Both of these deers run into the side of our cars. Stupid, stupid animals.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

loving deer ran out of the woods and hit my dads old DD mustang right around dawn one day and then rolled down the side of the car:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Slow is Fast posted:

loving deer ran out of the woods and hit my dads old DD mustang right around dawn one day and then rolled down the side of the car:

He's lucky the window's still there. Same scenario happened to a friend of mine. Antlers hit the window and he wound up with a lap full of glass.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
Here's a horrible failure from my gig. I work in an aluminum mill, we manufacture and roll aluminum coils from scrap aluminum. I run the cold rolling mills. Well the other day the small finishing mill locked up the drive side work roll bearing. It was so bad it friction welded the races and roller bearings to the roll neck!

Here is a good roller bearing on the left, and the remains of one of the right: (Click for giant crappy pictures from my crappy Galaxy S4)

Here is one of the roll shop guys trying to air chisel the remains of the bearing off the neck:

Caused a hell of a mill fire too.

djhaloeight fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 26, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Grand theft auto? What the everloving gently caress??

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You never played Mario Kart?

(I do wonder what actually blew up the car, though.)

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Slavvy posted:

Grand theft auto? What the everloving gently caress??

Ruptured CNG tank

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
My friend brought his auction special in for a balancing..

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Niven posted:

My friend brought his auction special in for a balancing..

What the gently caress?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Kilersquirrel posted:

When it comes to prey animals their whole mindset is "oh god it's chasing me it's gonna eat me," and consequently think that your attempts at dodging them are some kind of trick to catch them and they tend to cut right back to where they were. But then you try to dodge again and they cut away 180 right back into your course.

If you have enough warning but not enough time to brake, just aim straight at them and chase like a predator and flash your lights if it's at night. It's worked pretty well for me thus far.

Though if you get the odd retard deer who just broadsides your vehicle there's gently caress-all you can do there really. Aside from remembering to save the backstrap and keep a few other choice cuts from the grinder.

A deer once ran into my house. My stationary house that has been there since the 40s.

Deer are just loving stupid.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

The perfect stream of cans landing on the right side of the screen is killing me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Puddin posted:

The perfect stream of cans landing on the right side of the screen is killing me.

It looks like a nylon tie down to me. Or maybe a scarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Frinkahedron posted:

A deer once ran into my house. My stationary house that has been there since the 40s.

Deer are just loving stupid.

Agreed. Similar to the earlier story of they guy that got his new truck totalled, a friend of mine was returning from an unfruitful day of hunting and on his way home he was t-boned by some retard of a deer. Hit the bed of his truck, which
was no beauty queen, and knocked itself out/paralyzed itself. Friend slit its throat, dressed it, tagged it, and checked it in with the warden. New dent in the truck and a whole bunch of meat. Saves money on ammo!