Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Sponge! posted:

That sounds like a fun way to spend a rainy afternoon... :smuggo:

I worked refilling dry chem extinguishers in high school. That poo poo is down right scary when something lets loose. The procedure for depressurizing an extinguisher before testing and refill is to slowly unscrew the head until it lets out the nitrogen and hope it doesn't make a loving mess or flat out fly off the cylinder (some old rear end heads had weak/shallow threads). I hated that job so much at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Bucephalus posted:

^ Yikes! I would've figured they just pulled the pin and discharged them into some sort of recovery system.

At the time it was a tiny shop and we didn't have a setup to discharge and recover dry chem. Letting the charge out keeps most of the powder in the extinguisher that way you don't need to empty it out if it isn't due for a hydrotest. This was like 10-12 years ago, so no idea if it's still done this way (or if there are any changes to the regulations concerning this stuff).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Motronic posted:

Non-getto shops do. What 8th-samurai described is quite dangerous and a massive OSHA violation.

Yeah, it was a while ago so they probably do it differently now that they have a much larger shop and do more business. I actually can't find an OSHA regulation that requires a discharge and recovery system. The regs covering hydro testing just all say to use the manufactures recommendations on emptying and recharging (which frankly probably do say to use some sort of discharge system).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Oh man, I remember in high school we all knew the best train crossings and bumpy roads on which to jump our cars. There was a double set of railroad tracks that were perpendicular to a slight hill, if I got my '89 Mercury Tracer up to 65 or 70 mph I could clear the second set of rails with all four tires. :black101:

Thirty-year-old me thinks seventeen-year-old me was a complete maniac.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Motronic posted:

The only problem with that oldie but goodie is that you need to have a leaky coupling inside on the hose going through the car.

I've actually been in that situation (needed a hydrant that a car was parken in front of) and ended up doing something responsible and boring.....winched it out of the way a few feet. I got crap from everyone on the scene that I missed our golden opportunity. Sometimes having a white helmet sucks.

Fire chiefs ruin everyone's fun.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

rscott posted:

I was gonna say, some people think they drive faster on two wheels than four

Four wheeled scooter?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Devyl posted:

Until everyone drives those, there's always gonna be danger out there. I imagine these to be filled with a fat-like substance. When you grab the door handle, it's like squeezing a loosely-stuffed sausage.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say the Fram extra guard filter is the mechanical failure
on this one.

"Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circulating through my system. The oil passage to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it."
-from http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
When I worked on an ambulance I picked up motorcyclists that had crashed into all sorts of things. The cable style guard rails never seemed to cause more damage than other types. With most of the motorcycle versus guard rail accidents I worked on, the largest injuries were from the rider impacting one of the supporting posts while sliding on the ground. Admittedly this is a small sample size and totally anecdotal. Frankly I wouldn't want to strike any form of divider at highway speeds

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I didn't stop to take a photo because I was pressed for time but tonight I did a coworker a favor and changed out the battery of her 2001 PT Cruiser. The negative battery terminal had (no joke) about 1.5 inches of white/green foamy build up on it. When I told her that she said "the AAA guy that jump started me the other day told me the battery looked okay". This was the OEM battery by the way.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Oh I am sure that he never even looked, or maybe doesn't even know where the actual battery is located. Spoiler alert: it's wedged underneath the comedy large airbox.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
When they say Halon extinguisher they mean either 1211 or 1301. Halon doesn't put out fires by displacing oxygen so it would just get sucked through the engine mixed with oxygen, not choke it out like C02 does. This PDF I found seems to support Halon speeding up diesels if not flat out making them runaway. http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/faqs/NVIC6-72.pdf

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Slavvy posted:

I really want to know how this is possible. You read about it, and hear about it, and see those fluff pieces on the news where some geriatric plowed through the front of a gas station, but how does it really happen? How? You have thousands of hours of driving a car, every car is basically the same, your body is as accustomed to where the brake is as it is to wiping your rear end or turning the tap the right way to make water come out. On top of which, you have to hold down the gas for a sustained period of time AND jam it to the floor to get truly spectacular results.

I don't get it.

I can tell you that if I haven't driven an automatic in a while I will almost certainly jam on the brake pedal looking for a clutch at least once during a trip.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Slavvy posted:

Really? How? I've had the same thing happen and all I end up doing is jabbing at the floor where the clutch used to be. Is it just a result of people left-foot-braking all the time because they've only ever driven auto?

Things with wide brake pedals mostly, I just go to clutch and oops got the left side of the brake. Not nearly as big of a deal as oops got the gas though. I know my late grandmother drove automatics with both feet but she didn't get her license until her 60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Breaking up dead chat for a moment,

"I clipped a curb'

"

The other day I saw a Ford Ranger heading north up Aurora that had clearly been hit in the front. It had visible toe in from 50 feet away and was howling at 20 mph like the dude was on a skidpad. I kept my distance so no photos unfortunately.