Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Getting back on track... Apparently ford windstars have a thing for snapping twist beams.
Not as horrible looking as pulverized pistons and rods but still :psyduck:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

EightBit posted:

The redundant redundancy in this statement makes my brain hurt.

Inertial mass is an actual concept in physics so his statement isn't technically wrong. Until the equivalence principle is shown to be false, however, there's no harm in dropping the "inertial" from mass.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

So I see. I Tineye'd one of th pics and turned up a Russian site that has an awesome translation via Google: http://tinyurl.com/4encfp3

From the two pictures that MonkeyNutZ posted I just knew that it had to have been china.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
I wish there was a first person POV cam for that...

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Kill-9 posted:

I used to live at 6,000ft and work at essentially sea level. We'd shop in the valley and we learned never to buy soda in a can, 2 liter only. Invariably you'd end up with an exploded can in the grocery bag once you got home. They get very rigid and the slightest tap would make them go *boom*. Ice cream had to be bought in a tub so the lid could expand. We'd end up with about 25% more ice cream than when we left the store.

My father worked for a food manufacturer at the time. They were having problems sending their frozen food to Denver. 1/2 the bags were popping open on the trip over. For a few weeks I got a shitton of free Italian food. I just had to carry it home and report on the bag conditions. Every time they came out with new packaging, same thing. I'd be asked to be their Altitude Tester.

So I have to side with InterceptorV8.

Haven't thought about it too hard or read the report that was talked about earlier but at first glance it's possible both of you are right. It might be possible for a undisturbed can to survive going in a vacuum chamber and surviving at very low pressures but not for a can which is being physically agitated as the carbon dioxide will bubble out of the containing liquid and increase the pressure in the can.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

grover posted:

Since Fukushima Dai-ichi was a pretty big and horrible mechanical failure:

I can't wait for them to start doing ultrasounds of the reactor pressure vessel interiors.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

CommieGIR posted:

I thought that was just the generator building for the backup water pumps?

Nope, that's the reactor building.

grover posted:

Pretty amazing how little damage was done, actually. The skeleton at the top is just a lightly constructed enclosure for some of the support equipment; the hardened building below looks virtually unscathed.

The containment structure is indeed quite strong. The following only left a 2.5 inch deep hole.

Video at sandia. http://www.sandia.gov/vqsec/SON-ST.html

The hydrogen explosion is unlikely to have damaged it considering how strong it is. The insides of the reactor vessels, however, are likely all sorts of hosed up (not from the explosion but from the melting of the fuel rods).

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 13, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

BlackShadow posted:

On the other end of the temperature scale, here in Australia when the temperature starts topping about 40C to 45C, the rail actually buckles because of the incredible compressive forces in it. Kind of like this:

You can detect rail breaks because of loss of conductivity but how would you go about detecting that situation before it causes an accident?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Paul Boz_ posted:

About nine months ago my brother was helping me bleed my clutch and he mashed the pedal hard, shooting me in the face with hot brake fluid. I scrambled to get out from under the car but slipped in wet leaves and face planted on concrete. I tried to brace my fall and tore all of the ligaments and tendons that provide lateral support for my left thumb. I was between jobs with no insurance so I put it off. To repair it the doctor drilled a hole in the rear thumb bone then routed a tendon from my wrist through it. Lastly he drilled a pin through it and set it in a hard cast to immobilize it until next Friday. Sorry for no details yesterday, my pain is at a persistent 5-6/10 even with hydrocodone.

So your thumb has been in a cast for the last 9 months waiting for surgery? How long after surgery until it heals enough for you to use it again?

Nerobro posted:

First off, paul, OW. Good luck on your recovery.

You can't "wash away" loose neutrons. That article is hugely simplified in many ways that makes the whole situation seem muddy. And I think it's got the reactor design wrong, but I'll need to double check that. I think the reactors in question are pressurised light water reactors, and the water in the reactor itself never boils. It's used to boil water in a secondary circuit.

The reactors are actually BWR Mark I types.

Nerobro posted:

The ziconium coating on the fuel rods is used to prevent corrosion. When heated sufficiently, it's failure mode is to start to oxidize, and will pull the oxygen straight out of water. That releases hydrogen. As the core temp goes up, it can even reach temperatures that will disassociate oxygen and hydrogen, without the zirconium sucking up the oxygen. (this was actually a proposed method for generating hydrogen...)

The fuel cladding is pretty much entirely zirconium). It's zirconium because zirconium has a very low neutron cross section.

Nerobro posted:

On the bright side, we haven't had a steam explosion.

The water in the reactor is also a moderator. Without the water in the reactor the core will be less reactive. I didn't look at the specifics, but I'm fairly sure the core can't operate with a loss of coolant. Now that doesn't mean it instantly gets cool, as in the operation of the reactor lots of short lived radioactive isotopes are generated. As those decay, more heat is released.

While loss of a moderator will stop the fission chain reaction, without cooling there is nothing stopping the core from melting and obtaining a new favorable geometry for fission (though I'm not sure how likely such an outcome would be realistically).

Nerobro posted:

So while the reactor isn't reacting, it can still get hotter! At least for the first few days. This also ties into the "ponds" problem.

The cooling ponds apparently also boiled off all their water. The cooling ponds are used to store the spent fuel rods. No water, means those rods get hotter again, and start to corrode. Viola, more free hydrogen.

You should watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bcrLiATLq0

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

grover posted:

I really didn't intend to derail this thread into a Fukushima discussion, just thought ya'll would be interested in seeing mangled buildings. The D&D Thread has all sorts of information and debate on the ongoing nuclear crisis and would be a better place to discuss things not related to horrible mechanical failures.

Bear in mind these buildings withstood a Magnitude 9.0 earthquake, followed by a 46' tsunami. And stayed pretty much intact.

The explosions that caused most of the visible damage were hydrogen explosions. Temperatures in the reactor core were hot enough to disassociate water into hydrogen and oxygen.

Heating water won't cause this to happen, it only causes a phase change. The way you get hydrogen from cooling water is typically through radiolysis.

grover posted:

They were also hot enough to cause oxidation in the zirconium cladding of the reactor core, which releases hydrogen gas as a byproduct. In a modern design, the emergency systems release this into the atmosphere where it's dissipated and harmless. However, in Fukushima, these gasses were vented this into the building (presumably to contain it better?)

There is no way venting of hydrogen into an oxygen rich confined space is standard procedure. There's been lots of discussion about how the hydrogen ended up in the buildings but it's probably because of a failure in either the hydrogen venting system or a leak via the dry well cap.

grover posted:

, where it built up and built up, and finally went BOOM in a good ole fashioned Hindenburg/Challenger chemical explosion. The parts of the reactors building that blew out are the light construction part of the building that's only meant to keep the weather out (you know, relatively small things, like cat-5 Typhoons), and isn't massively thick concrete like the nuclear containment portion. The more solidly constructed nuclear containment areas (the lower halves of the buildings) are intact.

They recently discovered a crack in part of unit 2 that is allowing contaminated water to leak to the sea. Whether or not that was caused by the explosion at unit 2 or the earthquake is unknown at this time.

grover posted:

The image I posted was of reactor #3, which suffered the most damage from the hydrogen explosion. You can see a number of massive concrete pillars peeled back like bananas, and holes in the roofs of nearby buildings where clearly very large and heavy things were thrown and punched through. There was a lot of force there!

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

grover posted:

Not if you get it hot enough! Zirconium melts at 2000C, and there is chemical evidence in the released steam that this occurred. At 2200C, water begins to thermally dissociate into hydrogen and oxygen.

And really, get anything hot enough, and all chemical bonds will break, and hotter still, it will become a plasma.

The amount of hydrogen you're going to get via thermolysis pales in comparison to zirconium oxidation. Substantial quantities of water at > 2K is also unlikely because the water would first turn to steam and be vented in order to prevent overpressuring the RPV.

I question how you are supposed to tell zirconium cladding has actually melted vs cracked from the steam released. Failure of the cladding would probably be detected as a consequence of the relocation of uranium dioxide fuel (probably in a molten form).

*whoops* Corrected some stuff after misreading your post. But lets end this derail yes?

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 2, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

ratbert90 posted:

In Boise it's closer to 40 than 45. And again, 99% of the time I catch up to them and wave because all they have done is waste more gas and get to the stop light/sign faster than me.

What point are you trying to get across? That you enjoy driving 7+mph slower than everyone else?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

teh jhey posted:

I've had to use those things at least a few times to change tires, and luckily have never had any issues. Never did feel comfortable at all with them. (Yes, I have a floor jack for when I'm just messing around in the garage)

What kind of conditions make that happen? Corrosion? Uneven ground? Manufacturing defects?

It won't happen unless there's something wrong with the ground/mounting point. In this case the jack only had a very small contact area (the tip of the bump) so any deflection perpendicular to the scissor motion would have easily caused it to topple. The deflection in this case probably came from simply jacking up the car (the contact point moves along the dome and will cause a torque on the jack itself).

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

JD Brickmeister posted:

Just looking at that makes me wonder what they could possibly be thinking. Sure, they reduce the number of spokes, but they are demonstrably bigger - seems like aerodynamically and weight wise it would be a wash.

On a similar note, how do they "tune" those solid wheels? With spokes, you tighten or loosen them to get it perfectly flat - and my guess is that any anomaly in the tire or tube that might pull it out of true gets fixed when you tune it. How do those solid wheels work?

Edit: Please don't say "magnets"

I don't think you can true most (all?) solid carbon fiber wheels. They'll probably snap before they lose their shape anyway.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Wibbleman posted:

Heres something that just happened.

Helicopter crashes on a live camera feed.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/raw-video-helicopter-crashes-in-viaduct-4561143

It was lucky there was a newscrew recording it, no one was injured thankfully.

Anyone have any insight into what cause the large bang and the tail/rotor to fall off?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
You need to remove the embedded player query from the url for it to parse correctly.

pre:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjyINdn0Fn8
leads to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjyINdn0Fn8

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Rujo King posted:

I bet his metal shavings pan has been slightly contaminated with oil.

For content, here's a Fiat Punto engine literally making GBS threads itself.

(From youtube.)

Did the oil breakdown or something? Or is this the first oil change that engine has had in over 100k?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
What's the story about that crane toppling over? Weather conditions? Operator error?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Jusupov posted:

I'm certain I've seen a documentary about that kind of bandsaw cutting. Discovery/natgeo most likely.

edit: Modern Marvels- Deep Sea Salvage
or maybe it was National Geographic - Deep Sea Salvage Heavy Metal

I saw it in one of the Nat Geo Salvage Code Red shows. natgeotv.com seems to have clips so if someone has time they can try to search for it.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

CommieGIR posted:

Every time I hear Nitrous or NOS now, all I can think of is retard-ism.

It's mainly from people who pronounce it "nawz".

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

CommieGIR posted:

I used to have an Halon Extinguisher someone gave me...

That's probably the last thing you'd want to extinguish your average car fire with.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

kastein posted:

As an EE with a fascination with embedded systems and automotive electronics I normally like cool bells and whistles like this, but I've been completely turned off the idea by the 2012 Subdivision, errr, Suburban I rented for work approx. 9 months ago. It felt like driving a car with the throttle cable replaced by a slinky, a rather weak rubber band, and some variety of Shake Weight. I'm pretty sure throttle response time was near a second and it couldn't really figure out what gear it should be in, either.

Surely that's not a problem with DBW as a concept but rather a problem with the implementation?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

thecobra posted:

Posted this picture on my friend's Facebook. He just bought one in the spring. His response:

Yeah I recognize it, that's the exact picture I use when people ask me about a timing chain service on my car. 3000 in parts plus you have to pull the engine.

Do the engineers get told to do crazy stuff like this in order to drive up repair costs? I mean it's not inconceivable that there were real packaging reasons to put all this hardware against the firewall but...

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Raw_Beef posted:

I know we're both mechs and therefore have precise personalities, but if your quotes on "your" are meant to express my misuse of you, your, you're, I cant seem to tell what "you're" on about.

And again my point is that you need that special low pro jack from porsche or a low pro floor jack. For other vehicles, most any jack from one's garage will do, be it a hi-lift, a bottle jack, or floor jack. In fact i dont have the factory jack in any of my vehicles and am able to use any jack i come across, stowed in the trunk. Any jack but a Porsche oem low pro, since it wont have the travel to lift high enough.

(nobody...should...ever...say...anything...negative...about...Porsche...while... Motronic...is...around)

Cant we all just get along?

Is this a porsche specific complaint? I would think that all low riding sports cars would need low profile jacks. Just be happy you don't have an expensive enough porsche to worry about center locking wheels I guess.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Geoj posted:

Agreed, I wouldn't put good odds on chances of survival in a modern compact car in a high speed head-on collision with full-size SUVs/trucks.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who was shopping for a new grocery go-getter/child transporter and was considering a Mazda 5 until he saw rear end crash test footage vs. a box truck at speed. I pointed out that it doesn't really matter what you're driving, people sitting in the back (well really, anywhere) of pretty much anything are going to get hosed up if you get rear ended by a box truck at speed. Some scenarios it doesn't matter how big or well-built your vehicle is, if the other vehicle in the accident weighs several times more than yours severe injury or death is inevitable.

I'm pretty certain that trying to design cars to survive side impacts with SUVs is exactly why modern cars have such high belt lines and tiny winy windows compared to before.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

You Am I posted:

So? If the manifolds were mounted the other way, it would be the exhaust copping the damage. Can't see why the intake taking the damage to be any worse, either way the car is hosed.

I have heard horrible things about the plastic inlet manifolds used on Ford V6s, warping in the heat.

Not to mention it's probably better if the manifold gets broken instead of transferring the impact to the engine/transmission.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

cursedshitbox posted:

BMW powered L322 Range. Owner went a year and a half+ with out an oil change.

E: Cust complaint: Filter leaks, just replace filter. Yeah uh NO.

This seems like a lot of wear for a year and a half without a filter change. Is this kind of thing specific to cartridge filters? There must be tens of thousands of civics/camarys/etc. with filters of a similar age without this kind of issue.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Tactical Bonnet posted:

First, until about two months ago my major was actually Aerospace Engineering, so I actually know a fair bit about several of the things you mentioned. Not a ton, but enough to get myself in trouble.

Second, show me something that will accurately measure a thousandth of a degree.

edit for clarification: I'm not trying to be a dick. I've just done several google searches and have yet to come across a device that purports to measure angles with such accuracy.

This is an article describing the mechanism in the planned Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA) to measure gravitational waves via laser interferometry. The instrument is designed to steer incoming laser beams through a range of several hundred micro radians with very high tolerances for angular jitter (nano radians/Hz).

To put things into perspective for those who don't want to read the walls of text that I've linked, the LISA mission will put satellites into orbit separated from each other by about 5 million kilometers with lasers pointing between them. If one of the lasers is off by "just" 0.001 degree it will miss the other satellite by 50 miles. It should be noted that the program was scaled back a bit after NASA pulled out so you would now only be off by 10 miles.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 1, 2014

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Jitter and measuring whether an actual object is .001º out of spec are not the same thing.

Also that is all cool as poo poo. Thanks for the good reading.

Also also, Space is orders of magnitude different from anything that will be happening within the atmosphere(which is what we were discussing).

Google "autocollimator".

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

CuddleChunks posted:

I have a Cyberpower model that works very well. Thing is, it's hardly ever been touched because the power supply in my PC has Active Power Factor Correction and shits itself almost every time the UPS switches to battery. It's a nightmare. Finally, my dad helped me out and now it's all fixed - by replacing the power supply in my computer with a model that doesn't have that feature.

Now it's smooth sailing and I am protected.

The reason for this btw is because of the shape of the power that the UPS outputs. Power supplies with power factor correction need sine waves while before they were okay with the really choppy outputs that many cheap UPS' output. This is unfortunate because most (all?) high efficiency power supplies these days have power factor correction so if you want to have a efficient power supply you're basically stuck with a more expensive UPS that can output a sine wave.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

InitialDave posted:

"Car may need wheel bearing, sold as seen"

I was doing 80 on this. :gonk:

Were they particularly noisy on the freeway?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Safety Dance posted:

First generation Escalades were a far cry from the gaudy tackmobiles we see today.

I can't get over how large the bumper gap is for a publicity photo. It even looks like it's bigger on the closer side but maybe that's just perspective tricking me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

azazello posted:

That's what I thought until I read the NASA report. People claiming that software bugs are not unique to Toyota are drawing a false equivalency. Read the report. The software and hardware design practices at Toyota weren't just bad. They were comically, criminally, utterly dysfunctionally negligent. Spaghetti code doesn't begin to describe the insane mess that their ECU firmware was. On all the typical software quality metrics that NASA applied to it, the code was literally off the charts in the wrong direction. And that's without even starting to get into the hardware. Toyota had stay-at-home housewives repair defective ECU boards by splicing jumper wires onto them. You don't have to be an EE pro to realize how utterly insane that is.

Toyota has since fired the head of that unit and instituted a reorg, and the US DOT is instituting new engineering process quality rules that will govern automotive ECU development. But they stonewalled the investigation and admitted no fault, and that's why I won't trust them again.

edit: Of course none of the cases have been found to be the ECU's fault. That's because the ECU in those cars is untestable. It was built in such a way that its behavior is pseudo-random.

lovely firmware (jargon for software that runs on hardware at a low level) happens virtally everywhere because instead of hiring some SEs to do a job it's always cheaper to use the EEs you do have to write lovely software (and this will get passed on to the newest and least experienced EEs as well, the ones with seniority don't want to write code). Also, splicing wires to fix board design issues isn't nearly as uncommon as you might think and it's way more reliable than any of the poo poo firmware that's going to run on the board anyway.