Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Looking at this thread I'm amazed how quickly people get through mice - I've had a Logitech G5s (the refreshed G5 with two side buttons) since at least 2008 and it still works very well - I've used it pretty much every day since then and the only real indication of its age is that the feet aren't in very good nick (using it for 5 years mostly on either a bare desk or a hard plastic mousepad I got for free will probably do that to a mouse though) but even then it's just they're a bit worn down and are peeling a bit on some of the edges. I was mulling over whether to buy another one but then I just ordered some new feet on ebay and a qck mousepad so I'm not dragging it over whatever grit/sandpaper I'm keeping on my computer desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

I'd rather use a mouse on my pant leg than use either a trackpad or a nub. Thank goodness my next laptop will have a touchscreen.

Fake edit: Really, I only hate them because I'm horribly inaccurate with them. I struggle to hit the Start menu with anything other than a mouse.

If you use a mouse most of the time going to a trackpad, even a decent one, just feels like handicapping yourself. I haven't used a trackpoint in years but I remember it being similar. Strangely enough I recently got a laptop with a touchscreen and it feels faster using that than the trackpad - it's probably the touch feedback more than anything else which feels nicer than what amounts to dragging a cursor around pretty laboriously.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

No, it was basically like a TV's picture in picture where all the windows would fill up the screen at one time, made it super convenient for running multiple instances of video games and programs.

The button never did anything until I installed setpoint after every reformat so I don't think it was Windows related

You mean like Expose in OS X? IDK how you can get whatever custom logitech implementation of that back but there are windows clones that people seem to like: http://www.betterdesktoptool.com

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

anyone here used the logitech g602? my g5 is slowly dying; the dpi buttons are gradually flaking out, the drivers haven't worked for years, every time I look at the weird scaly texture I think of the ease that grime just gets lodged in there etc. i don't game much anymore and when I do it's not professional monster energy imbibing, gamer food guzzling high stakes counter strike matches so i really don't give a poo poo about borderline imperceptible latency or sensor acceleration. what i don't like about the g5 is the wire, the kind of teetering scroll wheel that moves side to side, and the kinda mushy feeling side buttons (relative to the main buttons). also the amazingly bad dpi switch buttons which feel like they were improperly assembled.

i was looking at the mx master because the sideways scrollwhell intrigued me and it looks nice (no neon crap) and is fairly versatile. issue is it's like twice the price of the g602 (which is a similar shape and doesn't look too bad) and doesn't have any removable batteries (which for environmental and economic reasons are a plus). also the side buttons on the master look kind of tiny and crappy, and while I don't particularly want or need 6 of them i'm sure I can find a use.

so yeah anyone got one of these? are they decent? what's the battery life like? do the side buttons feel nice? tia :)

oh yeah and is the mac support any good (as in does it work?)

e:gravitating towards the mx master tbh; i'm ok with spending a little extra and the shape looks nicer.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 13, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Hollenhammer posted:

Hey yall I've done a bit of a search in this thread but I'm wondering what the Razer Deathadder is like. Someone mentioned bad drivers or something?

It's a razer product and will therefore fall apart in a breathtakingly short amount of time. IF you want something with a similar shape take a look at the zowie mice; they've got better (no) drivers, best-in-class sensors and no loving leds.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Zowie just announced via Benq who I guess has acquired them now that they're releasing a refresh of some of their top models with Omrons instead of Huanos, which is getting a positive response because if there's one thing that isn't great about Zowie generally (besides questionable durability) it's that their click distance is pretty high as their shells all have fused M1/M2 buttons.

apparently they're going to flood the market with a load of other peripherals as well according to this article.

it's hard to imagine this doing anything except devaluing the zowie brand - i've never wanted a benq... anything except maybe the odd monitor

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

What a coincidence, odd monitors were all they made!

this is like mid-2000s when i was still impressed with any old poo poo as longer as it was higher res than like 1024x768. i don't imagine i'll be buying a benq set of headphones any time soon

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

It's time for me to retire my Logitech G5, but I really love the fit of it and don't want a mouse that's too high and bulky. The current crop of Logitech mice looks really unappealing, so I'm looking at a DeathAdder Chrome (which is better than DeathAdder standard, from what I gather).

Would it fit my right-hand palm grip well and be a good mouse overall? I haven't found any other compelling mice, especially with the dumb sensitivity scroll and weights and crap.

look at the zowie mice. do not buy razer products or anything with LEDs

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

Interesting. Looks like EC1-A is the one to get for me with right-hand ergonomic palm grip and a big-ish hand.

Do I need to buy foot pads for it, or whatever you call it? I use an old SteelSeries felt pad, but I should probably get myself a new one.

if you mean the teflon feet on the mouse it comes with a replacement set in the box, and if you're using a fabric mousepad you shouldn't have to replace them for years. if you mean the mousemat; as long as it's flat, matte and dark you shouldn't have any problems

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

breaks posted:

A literal "no LEDs" rule is dumb, the Logitechs have LEDs and if you don't mind the shape/size/appearance they are some of the best mice out there for example. But I think his point is that there are very few bad gaming mice with a more conservative look, because if it doesn't look appealing to children then it's only selling on performance, whereas there are a lot of bad Pro Gamer XXXtreme christmas tree mice.

yeah the odd led is fine, particularly if it can be turned off like on the g502. i guess what i mean is don't buy anything just because it has flashy LEDs, e.g. the fairy light deathadder.

ngl i quite like the design of the deathadder; it's reserved but has some nice accents that make it unique, and i like the shape. even the lighting isn't too awful, though i'd prefer none (presumably you can turn it off). it's just a shame razer products are all so badly made

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 13, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

I like my G5 for general use, but the grip on it is sorta weird for twitchy shooters, and I generally hold it in three different ways throughout the day. If I took up playing Overwatch on PC, I think I'd struggle a little.

'Ergonomic' (as in the G5 shape, not vertical ones et al) mice are a bit of a racket imo; they kind of force you to fully palm the mouse if you want to hold it properly, which means to get any kind of precision you have to put your wrist and arm through rsi-inducing agony.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mutation posted:

So why are the zowie mice so good? They look like plain rear end mice but cost $70

they have no bullshit 'ergonomic' shape, are plainly designed with no tacky LEDs, and have the best sensors on the market

whether that's worth the price depends on you really; i got mine second hand for a v. respectable discount so that decision was essentially immaterial to me

Woolie Wool posted:

Is the new Razer Diamondback good enough to be worth getting once refurbished units become available for a lower price? Like hell I'm paying $90 for one.

i would not advise buying any razer product, let alone a second hand model that was probably returned because it didn't work.

also they seem to want to make you pay $90 for a 9 year old design, the only things that have changed being that the sensor now has 14,400 extra cpi that you won't use and awful gaudy lighting.

(also i'm probably wrong about this but i'll post it anyway because it's rhetorically baller; won't the laser sensor in the new mouse have more acceleration than the optical sensor in the 2004 mouse?)

GokieKS posted:

I've been able to use fingertip grip perfectly fine on the MX500/MX700/MX510/G5/G500/G502.

i had a g5 for like 7 years and used fingertip grip on it with not too many probs so yeah you're right. it did not escape me that the mouse was designed very conspicuously for a form-fitting palm grip though, which i felt obligated to try and did not like. most people seem to like to use a mouse as an object that they move around as opposed to an extension of their arm therefore ergonomic mice are irrelevant, is what i was trying to say i guess

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 16, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

taqueso posted:

Looking through those pics made me realize I am more of a claw or maybe claw-palm hybrid grip than a straight palm grip.

i think people who have a full-on actual #realtalk palm grip are in a small minority, since you're objectively less accurate with fine manipulation than you would be if your fingers were in the equation

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i like how how they modified that meme ever so slightly in order to make it less hitlery. honestly if I had to look at that on my desk for any length of time I'd probably vomit myself into a coma

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

fletcher posted:

Whoa why do so many use the G9X? I have one of those but I can't stand it. And why are they so much on ebay??

because it was a unique shape that people really liked, that they don't make any more

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

fletcher posted:

Should I be selling mine then? Pretty sure I still have the box and all the accessories, and it's still in great shape.

go forth and fleece those rubes boi

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

logitech g502 autism spectrum

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

Any recommendations for a mouse bungee/cord holder? I'm probably gonna get a G502, and my current G5 is a weird braided cable that's been contorted six ways to Sunday, and it's falling off the side of my table instead of the back. The options seem ridiculously expensive (Razer etc).

blu-tack it to the side of your monitor OR blu-tack it to your desk OR get some extruded metal and a block of wood and whittle yourself one. mouse bungees are a racket.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I was pointed this direction after asking a question in the Hardware Short Questions thread.

Recently, due to a Variety Of Issues, it's become possible that I will lose some level of fine motor control. I'm generally fine with typing, but it's become increasingly difficult to use the mouse to click smaller objects, like the x to close a tab in a browser.

I got a Razer Taipan mouse as a gift a long time ago, and I've been generally happy with it. Since the fine motor control issues started, I've discovered the sensitivity clutch button, and it's been very helpful. As long as I press the mouse button set to sensitivity clutch, the sensitivity goes down to a (custom set) significantly lower level. So, general usage, I can use the mouse normally, but if I have to click something small, I can just hold the mouse button, boom, super easy to hit anything.

The problem is that, whenever I change the DPI in any way, an ugly green bar appears in the lower left hand of the screen. It's KINDA ANNOYING, and tech support says that there's no way to get rid of the DPI indicator.

Is there a SECRET way to do this? Or, barring that, is there another reasonably good mouse that can do something like sensitivity clutch, but doesn't have the large green ugly indicator? Or, barring that, is there something I can use on any given mouse to do the same thing?

I know nothing about razer's software but a ton of mice have this feature; they tend to call it a 'sniper button' or 'dpi shift' something like that. You could also maybe try something like an autohotkey script to lower the sensitivity given a specific key combo.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Shockeh posted:

Like I said. Why wouldn't you make one, with the option for a cable.

Anyway, I'm basically agonising over it - I've used about 4 Intellimouse v3's, and I finally have a bit of desk space and want to get a good gaming mouse. Most are just too busy for me, I don't need a zillion buttons.
E: Oh, I use a Palm grip and have actual man hands, not the girly babby fingers that apparently some mice are designed for. Hence the attachment over the years to Intellimouse.

the 502 and 602 have a very different shape and are aimed at a different segment of the market (mountain dew guzzling shooter players who want low latency and precise sensors for 360 trickshots vs kayboard-with-ashtray mmo players who just want a ton of mouse buttons to avoid the shortness of breath that comes from the exertion of reaching over the keyboard)

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 5, 2016

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The EC2-A is one of the most beloved shapes in all of gaming mice. Zowie has QA issues and terrible warranty practices, but they're really great until they possibly break down in the usual ways (double switch clicking, mousewheel deteriorating)

i have an fk and the only thing i would change about it is having it be slightly wider and less ambidextrous, so the ec2 is pretty much my dream mouse

that being said you're not wrong about the qa issues; my mousewheel click is getting flaky as poo poo. it seems generous them putting an extra set of feet in the box until you realise you're pretty much required to get in there and spray contact cleaner around at a certain point

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

the only thing i don't really like about my fk is that it seems to be made of a material that attracts any and all oil from your fingers so you kind of have to clean it pretty regularly if you don't want to feel like a disgusting animal

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I guess the segment is for people who are really on the go and keen on laptop gaming. With 1 or 2 AA batteries it'll be too heavy compared to its predecessors for anything else.

i think the segment is me, specifically. i want to go wireless but i'm spoiled by the sensor and non-stupid shape of the zowie that i'm using now. gotta see if i can try one in a shop, it looks great

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

You should try it asap if your Zowie is a EC1/2, the G403 form factor is quite close. Logitech's sensors are better because Zowie/Benq seemingly refuses to upgrade from the 3310. It gets the job done, but it's more error prone, especially on variable surfaces you'd encounter with frequent travel.

i have an fk and if i'm going to nitpick it's a bit narrow; i think the 'intellimouse explorer' shape of the EC series is still the best shape i've used.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mousepads are absolutely not all equal. you can get a premium one for 20-30 dollars though that doesn't wear out anywhere near as fast as some tiny generic one from staples will

i bought the normal steelseries qck yeeeears ago for like £10 and i see no reason to replace it. thought i'd lost it while moving and bought a replacement which turned out to be large enough that a child could use it as a blanket in a pinch.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

bought a g603 did I do good guys? think i'll probably be happy with it since I've been able to stand this zowie fk's middle click being broken for like 6 months

Horizontal Tree posted:

I have one of the Godspeed mats on the way, its like 35.5x15.5":

how much is this? surprisingly not too tacky for such a giant mousepad

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 9, 2018

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

where did this guy get the white top for his g603; i want one. was it just a thing they gave out to reviewers or something?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8OZ2-5_q-Q

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Audax posted:

it's a G703. When he talks about the batteries he shows them right next to each other with a low angle and you can see the G703 charging port. He says it the 703 at1:32 ish when he compares the sensors.

poo poo i'm an idiot ty

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Chomskyan posted:

I’ve had it for almost a year though, would it still be under warranty?

I thought I did, but maybe I just downloaded the compainion app. Will double check tonight

isn't the standard warranty period a year for most first-world countries?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

g603 update: on the 'high' mode it literally feels like using a wired mouse. material is much preferred to the zowie fk; whatever glossy plastic they used on that thing caused it to need cleaning a *lot* to make it not feel horrible (and my hands are pretty clean/dry fwiw). with one battery in it's probably the perfect weight; impressive how light they got the thing without making it into a creaky mess that you can literally crush with your hand (these exist).

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I believe that there are a few reports of alcohol literally melting away some of the padding of mice. I can't confirm first hand, but I'd be careful.

prob fine on hard plastic, best to avoid on soft-touch surfaces i'd say

DizzyBum posted:

What do you guys use to keep your mice clean? I've been trying to remember to wash my hands before heavy PC usage, but of course I start to see spots from my fingers after a week.

I want to keep this one as clean as possible. Are alcohol wipes good or too harsh?

just wipe it with soapy water or somet

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Rexxed posted:

If you can't get out to a store to try them then anything that looks good should be fine. I like the G502 a lot but it's kind of big and a little heavy so it's not for everyone. That said, the inside of the scroll wheel is usually an optical sensor and a wagon wheel kind of thing that it sees move past it while you scroll. Sometimes if hair or gunk gets in there it'll mess with the optical sensor, so you might be able to fix it by cleaning it out.

fwiw i had the exact same issue with the scroll wheel on the g602 and no amount of taking apart and cleaning seemed to fix it. if i was going to ugy gaming peripherals again i'd probably forgo some features to get something more solidly built. then again i think that was a known issue with that model; might be worth cleaning out the g403 especially if it's 3 years old

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My G500 still going strong. MX518. G5. No issues with any of them yet and I've had them all for many many years.

Speaking of the MX Master 3, "Should I buy a $100 mouse?
I need a nice bluetooth mouse and I've been tossing around the idea of getting that or the G603.
If the 603 had a free scroll wheel with lock toggle then I wouldn't need to post this.
Same if the MX Master 3 didn't look like it had so much of a rake to the profile. I like to rest my palm flat on a nice hump of a mouse. Not huge on the tilt that looks so prominent in the MX Master 3. Unfortunately with the whole Covid pandemic, nobody has floor models for me to go put hands on so I can't see for myself if it's an acceptable.

Anyone else have experience with it? Opinions?

late but I own the mx master 2s and it's amazing, best mouse I've ever owned. I owned a G603 and the tracking/response was great but it feels cheaply made and the scrollwheel started acting up after under a year.

you might not think you use the thumbwheel but it's really useful if you do any amount of work with the thing, particularly if you use windows (OSX has the shift+scrollwheel thing that works everywhere, windows' implementation varies wildly from app to app). the gesture button is amazing for media controls and as a shortcut to the app switcher. the hyperfast scrollwheel is something that feels like a gimmick if you use pageup/down/home/end but the use is so natural that it becomes second nature. it also feels really solidly built and the soft-touch finish is really nice, the g603 feels like cheap plastic. also the most comfortable mouse I've ever used if you palm it, which is what you want to be doing if you're doing work with it. in terms of the grip, i feel like it fills the gap that my palm naturally leaves when i palm less 'humpy' mice, which ends up reducing tension and being more comfortable for long term use.

i honestly hate gimmicky bullshit features but everything on that mouse is so well implemented that it's all immensely useful. i got it for half off RRP on amazon but I like it so much that if it broke tomorrow I'd buy the 3S for full price no questions asked.

only issue is that it's a bit heavy and not the most comfortable if you claw/fingertip it, which isn't amazing for games. the sensors/wireless on the gaming mice are obviously better but for me on my 60hz monitor with mediocre input lag it's night and day difference. i'd definitely put the wireless on the master far ahead of the wireless on their older gaming mice (i owned a g602 and got cramp in my hand trying to compensate for the lag and acceleration.

i bought a second hand g703 for gaming (would probably recommend that over the g603 just because it feels more solidly built with rubberised sides etc; it's the same dimensions i think. there are FLASHING LIGHTS but you can turn those off in the software)

i guess it comes down to your budget and what you're going to be using it for mostly. the ideal setup is one mouse for work/casual use and one mouse for gaming, and i'd recommend this not just because they are very specialised, but also because i don't have too much faith in the durability of gaming mice. optimising everything for lightness plus a higher portion of the BOM going into the sensor and wireless seems to come at the expense of longevity in my experience. if you have two mice, then the gaming mouse will last longer, is my rationalisation

i write this overlong post mainly because i discovered today after a year of use that i can assign the gesture button to media controls and it's so loving convenient i genuinely thought 'that's amazing, i'm really happy with this purchase' which only happens in infomercials and fake amazon reviews. hopefully this helps!

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 25, 2020

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The 'gesture button' on my MX Master 2S is getting stuck down whenever it's actuated; is this easy to fix or is it just hosed? Always seemed like the dodgiest button on the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

repiv posted:

finalmouse are back on their bullshit

https://twitter.com/finalmouse/status/1672742475226808320

look forward to these getting cleared out by scalpers in 20 milliseconds and being resold for $800

not the worst use of carbon fibre i’ve seen in the past couple weeks tbf