Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I'm visiting New Zealand RIGHT NOW! Having fun in Auckland.

Spent a few days in Sydney as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm in Melbourne myself and having a meh time. Such a pain not to know anyone! Here for the weekend and then moving on to Wagga Wagga (heh) and Sydney later.

I'd love to meet local goons if they're down - I promise I won't mention the forums in real life. How's the surf for beginners in Sydney by the way? If I want to chill and surf for a couple of weeks would I be better served by taking off to Bali or staying in Straya right now?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

What do you want out of your time there? Melbourne is the cultural capital of Australia so there’s practically infinite options for what to do. Are you outdoorsy? Arts and culture? Like to just kick back in a bar? You need to help us help you by mentioning what you’re after.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
YOU COULD GO DRINK COFFEE AND LOOK AT STREET ART IN AN ALLEY!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

fist4jesus posted:

YOU COULD GO DRINK COFFEE AND LOOK AT STREET ART IN AN ALLEY!

Deconstructed coffee.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Deconstructed coffee.

I drink mine out of a fair trade artisanal vegan bums cock.
Farm to table, 0 food miles.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Yeah Melbourne is pretty bad but at least it's not Sydney.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
brisbane is the best east coast city on account of it being the smallest and therefore the easiest to walk from one side to the other and go welp that was poo poo and go and do something interesting.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Everything worth doing in Queensland is at least an hour's drive from Brisbane.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah exactly, but all Australian cities.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I know this is not Australia but booked Auckland, Queenstown, and Fiji. Looking forward to it. Plan to do Waitamo Caves Lost World tour, Hobbit village, Rotorua, Milford Sound, Nadi/Mantamaoa island, etc.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Nadi is a shithole. Use it as a transit point only.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

fist4jesus posted:

Nadi is a shithole. Use it as a transit point only.

That’s the intent. We will go in and then transfer to our stay there

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
How long in each place?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HookShot posted:

How long in each place?

Plan is as follows, only thing I booked was Milford Sound and Fiordland

D1: Get to Auckland, rest and check in, go out in evening to the bay area.
D2: Whole day in Rotorua
D3: Waitamo Caves Lost World Tour
D4: Either Hobbiton or Volcano Tour or Coromandel Tour
D5: Fly to Queenstown and go out at night
D6: Milford Sound and Fiordland Tour
D7: Fly to Fiji and stay in Nadi for night
D8: Mantamanoa Island and go Island Hopping Tour
D9: Mantamanoa Island and go Snorkeling
D10: Go to Nadi or wherever, hopefully go Shark Diving, and then stay for the night
D11: Fly back home

Something like 6 days NZ and 5 Days Fiji.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That's a super packed schedule, which is cool as long as you're aware of/cool with it. Especially if you're coming from America, jet lag is going to kick your rear end pretty hard. If you can get to Rotorua on day 1 I honestly think that's a better option that spending a day in Auckland; TBH I thought the city wasn't really all that interesting. Rotorua is cool though, make sure you get a hotel that has a built-in geothermic pool. I stayed at Sport of Kings motel, and it was absolutely amazing. Getting back and just randomly having your own private hot springs hot tub was super nice. There's a Tunisian or Libyan or something cafe/restaurant in town that does the most amazing Bedouin rice. Spend your first day in Rotorua doing Wai-O-Tapu if you're interested in geothermal stuff at all, it's super cool.

Waitomo caves are super cool and 100% worth it. For the last day, I'd say do Hobbiton, but I'm super biased. Coromandel would be what, six hours of driving to do it as a day trip? Unless you're driving back to Auckland in which case that makes a bit more sense.

Queenstown is a pretty cool place and worth more than one night, but if you can't, you can't. Milford sound is pretty cool - we did our tour by flying from Queenstown, which I wouldn't recommend for you since they have to cancel it most days because of the weather. Since I was in Queenstown for like six weeks last time I was there it didn't matter, I just told them whenever the planes can fly I can fly. To be honest though, as someone who lives on Canada's west coast I felt that the actual boat tour was fairly underwhelming, despite it being an absolutely perfect day weather-wise. Milford Sound definitely was nice, but it didn't live up to the hype of one of the most beautiful places in the world, to me. In Queenstown, get a hot chocolate from Patagonia and sit by the window while you people-watch. You also HAVE to get a burger from Ferg, the line moves faster than it looks, but go at like 4-5pm for dinner or 2pm for a late lunch/early dinner if you want to avoid the huge lines. Take your burger to the beach and eat it while seagulls beg.

I can't help for Fiji as I've never been there, sorry.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thank you for the feedback. It helps. It is a busy and packed trip but I’m usually always active and can go. I prefer active vacations than laze vacations and want to be sure, as you say, coming from America that I get the most out of my trips.

I had to make adjustments since I couldn’t line up a proper transport for the lost world tour. Viator has the 4 hour version of Lost World and I’ve compromised for they give transportation. The actual tour company doesn’t provide. Oh well, sucks but it is what it is and it’s cheaper by like 250 bucks.i hope I don’t miss out on too much because that was the key to my trip. The bus doesn’t provide transport those times and if I want personal transport it’s like 300 to 1000 or some poo poo. The other end of it is Milford Sound and Fiordland. Those two were key.

I will most definitely check out the recommendations you provided for food/drink. Thank you.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Forgot to mention, I've lived in Edmonton Alberta for 4 years, Canadian Rockies, parks and wilderness was/is one of the most beautiful places on Earth if not the most. I've been to Alaska as well. So I can see how you may find other places underwhelming or comparable.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
So I'm going to be in Sydney for Christmas Eve/Christmas (just those two days) for what is basically a long layover before we do a week in New Zealand.

That's obviously a super short amount of time, but I thought I'd see what kind of recommendations anyone had for a whirlwind trip like that. Very little is off the table for us.

And in that vein, we plan to fly into Auckland, and likely rent a car and drive down the island to Wellington and back in the space of a week.

We eat and drink most anything, like the outdoors as well as seeing historical sights. We are down for hiking, seeing famous movie locations (*cough* LOTR *cough*). We obviously have a rough idea of what we are doing, but I found goon advice on Belgium super useful this year so I thought I'd throw it out here.

I know, it's way too short a trip, but this is all the time we have for vacation and we're just cramming it in before we have kids/no free time at all.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

AlliedBiscuit posted:

So I'm going to be in Sydney for Christmas Eve/Christmas (just those two days) for what is basically a long layover before we do a week in New Zealand.

That's obviously a super short amount of time, but I thought I'd see what kind of recommendations anyone had for a whirlwind trip like that. Very little is off the table for us.

And in that vein, we plan to fly into Auckland, and likely rent a car and drive down the island to Wellington and back in the space of a week.

We eat and drink most anything, like the outdoors as well as seeing historical sights. We are down for hiking, seeing famous movie locations (*cough* LOTR *cough*). We obviously have a rough idea of what we are doing, but I found goon advice on Belgium super useful this year so I thought I'd throw it out here.

I know, it's way too short a trip, but this is all the time we have for vacation and we're just cramming it in before we have kids/no free time at all.

Just note that just about most things on Christmas Day in Sydney will be closed. Some touristy things might be open and some restaurants will be doing christmas lunches for people who don't want to cook. You might find some pubs/bars in places with high concentrations of expats (e.g. Bondi) will be open to cater for those without family to go to.

Honestly I think you should go for a true aussie christmas and buy a bunch of picnic stuff and booze on christmas eve and then head to the beach on christmas day.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I just got back from 17 days in NZ - for NZ/LOTR stuff the South Island is probably better and overall more scenic (main things for North Island are Hobbiton set and Mt Doom). Some operators have pretty reasonable 1 way fees, you might look in to driving down to Wellington and then flying back to Auckland.

quote:

Honestly I think you should go for a true aussie christmas and buy a bunch of picnic stuff and booze on christmas eve and then head to the beach on christmas day.

Yeah do this. Could watch the Sydney to Hobart start on Boxing Day?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Get a train to katoomba and spend your time there

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I am not from Sydney but I spend a bit of time there. I don't really like the place, but earlier this year I did some touristy things for the first time in a while and had a great time. Board the F4 ferry at Pyrmont Bay and ride it all the way to Watson's Bay. Have lunch at the pub just near the ferry dock. Take the ferry back to Circular Quay, then the ferry to Taronga Zoo. Or explore around Watson's Bay - there are a bunch of parks and hiking trails. It's a nice place.

Cockatoo Island is also worth checking out - it's an old military base/shipyards that's been turned into a museum with a few decent places to eat strewn around the place.

You could also take the train from Central down to Cronulla, then take the ferry from Cronulla to Bundeena and spend the day exploring Royal National Park.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 12, 2018

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Lived in Sydney for 35 years. First off, Sydney's public transport is designed to get people in and out of the CBD during peak hour, and not really a whole lot else. On Christmas day it'll be a very barebones service, so you might need to stay local depending on where you're staying. And as someone else said, most businesses except for small Asian restaurants and kebab shops will be closed, so prepare in advance. Oh and Christmas Day is one of the only two days per year you can't buy takeaway alcohol, so again stock up in advance.

If it's good weather, head to Bondi on Christmas day since that's what every other expat in the city does. There are buses that go there, but it'll be crowded.

The ferry to Watson's Bay is a good rec, I also like the ferry to Manly as well. Just get the regular public service (green and cream ferries) as the private fast boats are really expensive. Walk across the Harbour Bridge - the passenger walkway is on the side closer to the Opera House so you get a great view the whole way across. If you can't afford BridgeClimb, you can climb the south-east pylon instead for I think about 10-15 dollars. The view is almost as good, and inside the pylon is a museum showcasing the history of the bridge.

Darling Harbour is okay, but basically full of overpriced restaurants and tourist tat. The Rocks is where you'll find some of Sydney's oldest history and is an interesting place to wander for an hour or two. The Botanic Gardens is also quite nice.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Where are good places to see and camp in the south east. I'm travelling from Batemans Bay to Melbourne along the coast these holidays and just checking out the area.
Going to bring camping gear and then stay a few days in Melbourne before driving back to Canberra.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Kommando posted:

Where are good places to see and camp in the south east. I'm travelling from Batemans Bay to Melbourne along the coast these holidays and just checking out the area.
Going to bring camping gear and then stay a few days in Melbourne before driving back to Canberra.

Can you make it a round trip? The coast is just the coast, it's not worth driving down and then back up. I'd really recomend you go back to canberra through Koscisusko National Park, especially if you camp the night.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/...-36.4172451!3e0

This road is absolutely gorgeous, you get all the mountains, the view, and there are acres and acres of eery dead grey gumtrees that are beautiful along the road. Millions of giant grey pillars pointing into the sky. Climb koscisuko while you're there (it's real easy)

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Finch! posted:

I am not from Sydney but I spend a bit of time there. I don't really like the place, but earlier this year I did some touristy things for the first time in a while and had a great time. Board the F4 ferry at Pyrmont Bay and ride it all the way to Watson's Bay. Have lunch at the pub just near the ferry dock. Take the ferry back to Circular Quay, then the ferry to Taronga Zoo. Or explore around Watson's Bay - there are a bunch of parks and hiking trails. It's a nice place.

Cockatoo Island is also worth checking out - it's an old military base/shipyards that's been turned into a museum with a few decent places to eat strewn around the place.

You could also take the train from Central down to Cronulla, then take the ferry from Cronulla to Bundeena and spend the day exploring Royal National Park.

I was actually starting considering some this already, thanks for the recommend!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

What are the downsides to this place (Australia)? On a work trip and it just seems too nice, people, weather, scenery. Is your country out of money? Are you all secretly horrible racists? It’s got to be something evil. :ohdear:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

movax posted:

What are the downsides to this place (Australia)? On a work trip and it just seems too nice, people, weather, scenery. Is your country out of money? Are you all secretly horrible racists? It’s got to be something evil. :ohdear:

We run offshore concentration camps for vulnerable refugees seeking asylum :)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

movax posted:

Yes and Yes

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The racism isn't very secret, you'll notice it soon enough.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

webmeister posted:

We run offshore concentration camps for vulnerable refugees seeking asylum :)

Also our government takes bribes donations from fossil fuel companies to ensure that nothing ever happens about climate change (while half the country is on fire and the other half has flash floods)

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
by flash floods you mean 50-50 chance of most of the greater city of brisbane is underwater for several weeks each year

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'm thinking of driving to Melbourne from Canberra via Gippsland.
What's there to see and do there because I'm struggling to find anything except a few national forests, some beaches and a bunch of closed coal mines in the Latrobe Valley.

Seriously I'm looking at TripAdvisor and this town says its #2 attraction is a statue.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Kommando posted:

What's there to see and do there because I'm struggling to find anything except a few national forests, some beaches and a bunch of closed coal mines in the Latrobe Valley.

Seriously I'm looking at TripAdvisor and this town says its #2 attraction is a statue.

You live in Australia, how do you not know that our small towns are devoid of interest and exist only to make you feel grateful for what you actually have while you refuel. Pick a random point on the map and a historical marker statue is gonna crack the top 5 for attractions in a 200km radius.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
All small Australian towns will have a nice bakery that has won an award for their pies though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kommando posted:

A tiger flight is 100$

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Looks like it's the alps route instead.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

It’s the raven. Thought it was a goat, or cat, or something else making those noises before finally looking up what the gently caress I was hearing. Territorial fucker made sure to start making noise at 0500 and continue throughout the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

All small Australian towns will have a nice bakery that has won an award for their pies though.

Just did the drive from Sydney to Byron Bay and back. Saw many a lovely pie shop that didn't look like it had changed in 50 years.

Also that drive has gotten so much better over the years. When they finally finish the part between Coffs Harbour and Ballina and the lovely party north of Newcastle we'll actually have a half decent highway on the coast...