Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilshur
Sep 24, 2004
Dir: Werner Herzog
Starring: Nicholas Cage, Eva Mendes

IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes

Detective <Nicolas Cage>'s descent into narcotic madness after a back injury, gambling, hot Eva Mendes <prostitute girlfriend>, and some incredibly strong supporting actors and cameo's by some recognizable faces.

This movie had the traces of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas meets The Departed. I've been trying to dig around and see why it wasn't more widely released (Something like less than 1 million box office sales?), but to no avail. The director is not widely known in the American popular consciousness but has some recognizable titles that a lot of people may have heard of but never seen.

But this movie was fantastic, for what it was. It was somewhat other-worldly in the way it frames certain issue's, neglects certain aspects of the the obvious story, and some of the incredibly rapid plot twists that occur. The slurry of the narcotic haze doesn't help with the viewer's orientation.

It's also deceiving long. At a run time of just under two hours, it feels like it's dragging already in the first half hour, but its a product of the narrative moving along quickly while still harvesting the classic Bourbon Street lazy lull. It's really a work of art, how it all came together. It surprises when you won't expect it, and will appear to let you do down when you feel invested, only to return richer dividends later.

A must see for anyone cares for the Crime Genre.

Pro's: Rapid, gunslinging, drug-addled pace; incredibly strong lead by Cage, Hot Eva Mendes, compelling narrative and snappy dialogue.

Cons: Drags with some of the druggy scenes, and for this some people may hate it.

4/5 - only because i can't figure out why it isn't more well known, and because it has a bizarre ending.

ilshur fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shawn-lol
May 19, 2008

by angerbeet
one of my favorite movies I've seen this year for sure. Haven't thought much of nicholas cage before really but this movie made me a fan for sure

network.guy
Jun 20, 2004

The Nicolas Cage we loved is BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! indeed.

Hilarious and nevertheless not completely devoid of depth. I cannot remember laughing this hard during a movie ever.

The only recent film that comes close as an experience for me was "The Chaser" (Korea).

5/5

network.guy fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 6, 2010

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
It seems that all too often people who are mentally unstable are meant to play people that don't know the meaning of that phrase. There are few actors who can portray real madness: Daniel Day Lewis, Anthony Hopkins, and Nicholas Cage. The more I follow Nic Cage's careerer the more I think he isn't acting... Regardless, this film follows a persons life when it takes turns that they don't expect, and still try and do the right thing. Honestly, as someone with a mental illness and a real job Nic Cage'ss pretrial of insanity is nothing short of spot on. With out my meds His Terence McDonagh is a man tourtured by by Terence's own shortcomings filtered through an unrealistic judgement that people of that illness face on a day to day basis. The only people I can think of who would have trouble calling his portrait of mental illness accurate are people who only learn of mental illness from the movies. His performance is masterful. I wish I could convey to you how accurate his character is, but I fear there are no words to do so. In short this is an amazing performance of a man suffering from severe mental problems compounded by substance abuse. A loving amazing portrait.

5/5

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
I do not understand the love this film is getting. I thought it was hilariously terrible. One of Herzog's worst.