Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
When you say MM&Bass is bad, you mean the GBA one right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I do remember it being ridiculously hard, almost unfair, especially for MM. Never played through the King stages back when I was young and just excited to play an English ROM translation, but Dynamo Man and his level for sure made my 11-year-old self rage. I guess compared to the rest of the classic games, the unfairness gives it a low ranking.

Still, I think it was a solid MM game with interesting robot masters and weapons. While it's arguably "the MMX6" of the classic series, it's nowhere near that level of unplayable.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I was one of those sad kids whose parents wouldn't buy them consoles or handheld video games. Luckily my dad was a programmer, so we had tons of computers, and my brother knew about emulators (this was like mid-late 90s). I'll always remember MMIV as the game that introduced me to the world of Mega Man. Shortly after, a family member installed the PC version of MMX on one of our computers, and thus began a lifelong love of blue robots. For some reason, I also played Wily Wars (on Genecyst) long before any of the NES games and inexplicably started with MM3. Looking back, it was fortunate that I was introduced to MM through the best games.

For me, some of the most exciting moments of my life came from when X2 and X3 became emulatable (drat vector chip), when I found a used PC copy of X4 in an Electronics Boutique, and when my parents finally got me a PSOne so I could play the rest of the games (and yes, the PS2 was already out). It also felt good to truly own physical copies of the game.

Whew, being gratuitously nostalgic here, but I haven't thought about my "living vicariously about console games through the internet" days in a while. Listening to VGMusic midis, posting on MM Outpost, and savoring the occasions that I went to a friend's house who had a Super Nintendo.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Cold Man's music was pretty good. Burner's and Dynamo's are honorable mentions, with Magic and Ground following closely. The rest is pretty forgettable, but overall I think better than MM8, SNES-quality aside.

What I like about MM and X games is that they're so formulaic that you can rank them based on other categories than just overall game, i.e. music, bosses, stage design, weapons.

For example: MM5 has good music, bosses, and stages, but pretty bad weapons. MM3 has good everything. MMX6 has bad everything... ok some great music (Infinity Mijinion :rock: ).

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I'm surprised Capcom never made a fighting game where all the robot masters could fight against one another. It would be the greatest thing ever.

Or even just a completely "boss-rush" MM game (with classic gameplay, not that Power Fighters stuff), where you fight each RM one by one. Weapons optional.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

They should just go and make an MMO where players can design and play as their own robot masters (or animal reploids). Lights vs Wilies (or Hunters versus Mavericks)!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

No one explicitly mentioned it, but it has been said that MM is generally better at fighting bosses, and that's one of the reasons why. I seem to remember one of the upgrades allowing his buster to do 2 points of damage, though. And yes, Cold Man took ages to kill as Bass, since he's one of those obnoxious heroes that's invulnerable 80% of the fight. Cold Man is nothing though, versus those goddamn ball thrower guys, especially when they hide behind walls. I think playing as MM is pretty attractive when facing those guys as Bass.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 4, 2013

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

If you had to hit things with Metal Blade ten times to kill them it probably wouldn't have as great a reputation.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

You sure? There must be some in places that need double jump or the extra distance from dashing.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

MM1 is just obnoxious in general. In addition to Guts Man's bullshit, you had Ice Man with both magnet blocks and flying platforms, and Elec Man with ladder climbing. Then when you finally get to the bosses, they kill you in 2 or 3 hits. That is, if the loving big eye doesn't get you.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Is it just me or does MM10 also have the worst collection of weapons in the series? Even if you ignore Thunder Wool, everything else is really situational and/or costs way too much energy. This is right after MM9 had some of the best weapons.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

TehGherkin posted:

So I've watched all SimplySimon's amazing LPs of Megaman games and was kinda considering playing myself some Megaman at some point. What would be a good starting point to the series; the original Megaman?

Not if you want to like the series. I'd say one of MM4-MM6 to get you introduced, as they're beginner friendly. Then maybe MM2. MM3 is undoubtedly the highest quality of the classics, but can be difficult.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

As bad as some as 10's weapons are, I still used Triple Blade and Chill Spike more than anything in MM5, so they're not the absolute worst. Most of them suffer from a gimmick attached. I think they were trying to avoid having a MM9 situation where the game was moderately challenging until you beat Jewel Man, Galaxy Man or Splash Woman and trivialized nearly everything.

I used to think MM5 had the worst weapons, but Simon's LPs gave me a bit more appreciation. Granted, I'm still one of those minimalists who tends to use special weapons as little as possible.

Like MM10, MM5 has a lot of gimmicky weapons, but they're far less gimmicky and spend less weapon energy. Power Stone is complete poo poo, but a lot of the others are more useful than they let on, like Charge Kick and Napalm Bomb. The main reason you never really had to use any weapons in MM5 was because the buster took care of everything.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I've always found X-series weapons more fun, especially since you can charge them. It also helps that the platforming is more dynamic, so things that might not be useful in a classic game can still shine.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

To me, these are the core elements of classic MM:

• Eight robot masters to choose from at the start
  • MM gains abilities of those bosses
  • Boss weaknesses form a loop
  • Bosses have thematically designed stages, often with a platforming gimmick unique to that boss
  • MM progresses through killing bosses for their weapons as well as gaining utility items
  • Fight through a fortress once starting bosses are defeated
  • I think most of us can agree that MM works best in 2d

Classic MM is the pinnacle of formulaic gameplay done right. Unfortunately, that formula by today's standards only accounts for a $10 game. For a fully fledged MM game to keep up with today's video games while still having a "classic" feel, it would need an upgrade to all the aspects that make a classic MM game.

Raizor posted:

Just give each robot master a "world" comprised of like five levels instead of one. Mega Man is saved and he's still exactly the same. Enjoy your 20 hour jumpshoot game.

Stuff like this. Unless you want to go with the "all robot masters in one game" idea, one 3-5 minute stage per boss doesn't really cut it these days. Robot masters never got much time in the spotlight; it would be nice if they each had more space to showcase their powers, personality, stage design etc. Imagine a modern Gravity Man with several stages that each used the gravity changing gimmick in crazy ways.

Another way to evolve the series would be to make more complex platforming with more complicated physics. MMX was designed to be an advanced MM, so to stay in the realm of MM, it would need to take a different approach. MMX had more of a speed aspect due to the dash, so MM could use more precision based platforming. Perhaps rope climbing/swinging and other acrobatic type things. Rush also opens up a lot of platforming options for MM. There are so many other ways to use Rush than just for lovely side-scrolling sections. More platforming options would also facilitate more ways to progress through levels, which would necessitate having more paths, which is fine by me and makes things more replayable.

Weapons could also be expanded upon to keep them from getting boring fast. Make them interact with the platforming aspect more. Maybe give each weapon alternate modes, that aren't necessarily more powerful but provide different effects. For example a wind type weapon could be fired forward to blow enemies away or aimed downward to give MM an upward boost. Things were always more interesting when weapons actually had alternate effects or interacted with the environment, e.g. many of MM7's weapons, MM8's Thunder Claw, MM10's Wheel Cutter. This one reminds me a lot of Kirby Superstar, which brings up an interesting point. Kirby is probably the most similar series to MM, but it has managed to keep with the times without losing its Kirby-ness. Maybe have interaction between weapons too, like using wind to propel a bomb, or water to wet an enemy before doing more damage the electricity. Setting your boomerangs on fire so that they do more damage. The possibilities are endless.

Boss fights would have to be more dynamic, and weaknesses not the end all be all. There should be different tiers of effectiveness among weapons, with the obvious weakness being the best. It shouldn't be useless to try other weapons on a boss, though.

Anyway, my point is, the classic series can still be brought to the 21st century without losing its identity, with proper execution, of course. Platforming is not a dead genre and always has possibility for innovation.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 19, 2013

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

What about a reboot of the franchise, starting from MM1, remaking each game with advanced gameplay?

Keep the bosses, aesthetics, music (modernized of course), but update pretty much every aspect of gameplay. Continuing from my previous post: more complex platforming, physics, weapons/gadgets, enemies/bosses, etc. I think MM classic is most at home in a 2d environment, so that stays the same; at most 2.5d, similar to MMX8. But everything else, gameplay-wise, gets turned up to 11. MM gets more moves than just jump and shoot via his weapons and items/Rush. Stage design would be suitably adjusted to account for MM having more tricks.

Certain fundamental things would have to change to allow more complex gameplay. E.g. Enemies no longer do damage just from touching, to allow MM to interact with them in ways other than shooting/killing them. Instead, every enemy that should deal crash damage instead has a close range attack complete with cues. This would allow MM to do things like use flying enemies as platforms if he's quick enough.

Weapons would be vastly more dynamic, with multiple modes of fire and interactions with the terrain and enemies. There would also be various objects that interact with weapons in different ways. Rolling Cutter's primary mode would of course be the boomerang. Alternatively, it could be thrown into a wall with force, creating a temporary platform for MM. Maybe there would occasionally be hanging objects that could be cut down, then MM can use Super Arm to throw it. Super Arm could also be used on small enemies, like mets, to throw them at other enemies. Weapons could even interact with each other! Like laying using Super Arm to throw a Hyper Bomb with more force or freezing an enemy and punching it into ice shards. The sky's the limit. With a more advanced system, enemies and bosses would also interact with being hit by weapons in more ways than just taking damage.

I imagine the weapons could work as a system in between that of Kirby Superstar and MMX. MM uses his weapons differently based on button combinations, like Kirby Superstar or Zero's techniques, but can also quickly cycle through weapons like usual. For added customization, players would be able to change the order of their weapons to allow easier combinations between certain weapons.

Gaining weapons is a hallmark of the MM series, and a robust weapon system that combines fighting game-like sequences with "chemistry" between different weapon types would be a hit in my eyes. Complement that with equally dynamic platforming and boss fights, and you've got yourself a modern MM game.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

And then, against all odds, Wily gets away!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

So do they not make MM(X) games anymore? Just figurines?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Petiso posted:

X7 had a PC port as well, only this one was only released in Korea if I recall correctly.

Jesus, sounds like an act of war.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

TenaciousJ posted:

The game didn't feel like it added a whole lot to the formula. New things like the hidden ride armors are so underused they may as well not be there. I really liked them too but there's just nowhere to take them with the exception of the aquatic armor in Toxic Seahorse's stage. The armor chips were a neat idea but I only remember the boot chip and the gold chip really adding much to the game play. The boss weapons in the game are mostly nothing special and boss weakness functions differently in the game. A particularly strong weapon against a boss doesn't necessarily do more damage. It stuns the boss out of its attack pattern. For most of the bosses, that makes them painfully easy while also prolonging the fights.

There also weren't special animations for using the weakness against a boss. One of the most disappointing parts for me.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

KennyMan666 posted:

So, yeah, what people said. X6 and X7 are straight up terrible games (watch LPs of them instead of playing them, or something. I recommend being at least mildly drunk while watching X7 to ease the pain.), whereas I think X5 would have been a somewhat decent game were it not for Alia.

Violen's playthrough of Blaze Heatnix is required viewing, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl6QM4hUft8

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

GamesDoneQuick is about halfway through a MMX2 speed run race. I don't usually care for speed runs, but they do some really cool tricks not only to blaze through levels, but kill bosses.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I haven't been following MN9 much, just popping in every few months to see if it still looks mediocre. I just saw a trailer that had like 95% dislikes. The game looks amateurish and it's coming out next month. Am I missing something? Didn't the game have like a few million dollars of internet support?

Also, no special weapons?

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 31, 2016

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Have all the good MM games made in the last decade been fanmade?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Pretty sure MM9 was pre-2010 and 10...ehhhhh. Had some hella cool poo poo like the Wily Stage 1 bosses, but a mega man where nearly all the weapons are gimmick trash isn't ever gonna be excellent to me.

I still have nightmares about Thunder Wool.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

MM9 was a good throwback game that didn't really innovate, not that it was even trying to. It was a gimmick in itself, being a NES game released in the late 2000s. But that sort of thing gets old fast.

What I'm dying for, and fear may never happen, is a truly new MM experience in the same way the X series shook things up. A reboot that actually uses good gameplay design from this decade, perhaps.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Blaze Heatnix's level without armor or weapons is foreplay.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

LemonLimeTime posted:

Actually the demake has a much better sprite.

As usual, a fan does something better than Capcom.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

When's this game supposed to come out again? Is that the final UI design? :gonk:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Tengames posted:

Even classic megaman has some red circles on the underside of his feet that do.... something.

Dr. Light designed him with the knowledge that, someday, Mega Man would acquire a kick attack from an evil train-shaped robot.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

WDIIA posted:

The feet holes are exhaust tubes from the internal reactor
The dash works by expelling energy through them
Spikes are insta-death because they go straight up and pierce the reactor

Bam, MegaLogic is airtight

Works for X, but what about MM? He doesn't dash.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I just saw some comic frames of Top Man criticizing the way Mega Man is getting through his stage. It looked amusing. Is this from the Archie comic? If so, is it an entertaining series?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Not having played as much MMBN in my life, the only stage theme I can remember is NumberMan's (possibly because I got stuck on it as a dumb kid). But goddamn is that a good tune.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The background of the ice level is less detailed than an NES MM level.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Imagine if this concept art was the real resulting product

Literally the only time the game ever made me think "hmm, that looks interesting and/or fun". Still didn't fool me into dropping cash, though.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Please tell me some of those are ironic. The one with "Not Rush" has to be a joke.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

This whole thing sounds like the biggest prank ever pulled on a fanbase.

It's actually a meta-game. It turns out Wily was behind MN9 as his latest nefarious scheme, kicking off the reboot of the series.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Endorph posted:

here's a list of megaman games mighty no. 9 is better than

The DOS Games
Megaman X7
Megaman Battle Network 4
Megaman Battle & Chase
Megaman & Bass GBA

Lurdiak posted:

Mega Man X6
That 8-bit demake of Mega Man 8
Mega Man X Street Fighter
Mega Man II

How does the game compare to Rockboard?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Can't wait for Violen's minimalist runthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Why's there a trailer on Steam that says "September 15th"? Lol

At least it shows special weapons, literally the first time I've even seen something that indicates it's even in the game. Almost makes the game look, dare I say, fun.