Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I didn't read that LP, but if it's just the version we got, it wouldn't have covered an entire little Boktai sidequest, which included a boss fight against the Count. I have no idea why they cut that but not Lan's poster of Django in his room, where way more people would've seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Momomo posted:

I didn't read that LP, but if it's just the version we got, it wouldn't have covered an entire little Boktai sidequest, which included a boss fight against the Count. I have no idea why they cut that but not Lan's poster of Django in his room, where way more people would've seen it.

Ah, right, I had forgotten about that, even though EPM mentioned that it was cut at some point in the LP.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
We lost the Boktai sidequest and all things associated with it: Graveyard 1, Immortal Area, the Count of Groundsoaking Blood boss, the Boktai chips, and the Crossover Program Advance. Only they were all cut in an incredibly lovely way, meaning the areas still exist in memory (which can gently caress you over if the gold mystery data happens to spawn there) and the chips are still in the gold mystery data droplist (and will freeze your game). We also lost the Link Navi sidequest, which kind of guts the option to use them, means we can never play as ProtoMan, and probably confused a ton of players when they found out you can refight Bass SP over and over again for some reason.

And in a weird half-and-half, we lost most of the E-reader functions except the bonus 10 jobs that let you fight ProtoMan's FZ.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was listening to some music on shuffle yesterday and realized that, despite having hundreds of OC Remixes over the years, there's only two I've still got in my active music rotation even after like a decade of having them, and they're both Megaman remixes:

Blue Lightning by Disco Dan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65r7DefNHdY

And Brainsick Metal by Protricity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-OppykeE7Y

Brainsick Metal's obviously super duper synthy, but drat, I loving love it. The entire transition from Storm Eagle to Spark Mandrill, and the entirety thereafter, is amazing. And I used to have Blue Lightning on my "fall asleep to" CD years ago.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 3, 2013

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Captain Invictus posted:

I was listening to some music on shuffle yesterday and realized that, despite having hundreds of OC Remixes over the years, there's only two I've still got in my active music rotation even after like a decade of having them, and they're both Megaman remixes:

Blue Lightning by Disco Dan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65r7DefNHdY

And Brainsick Metal by Protricity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-OppykeE7Y

Brainsick Metal's obviously super duper synthy, but drat, I loving love it. The entire transition from Storm Eagle to Spark Mandrill, and the entirety thereafter, is amazing. And I used to have Blue Lightning on my "fall asleep to" CD years ago.

It's been years since I've been on OCRemix. I remember listening to the Metal Man theme done by Disco Dan a while back, and remembering it was quite awesome.

And a metric fuckton of main theme remixes.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I'm currently trying to beat X1-X4 without collecting any upgrades, and I just got done with X3. The Sigma fights in X3 were some of the most intense and fun boss battles I've ever experienced in a Mega Man game. Two hits and you're toast.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

AHungryRobot posted:

I'm currently trying to beat X1-X4 without collecting any upgrades, and I just got done with X3. The Sigma fights in X3 were some of the most intense and fun boss battles I've ever experienced in a Mega Man game. Two hits and you're toast.

So how much of a slog was X1 without the dash upgrade... that is, if you bypassed it somehow.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thwack! posted:

So how much of a slog was X1 without the dash upgrade... that is, if you bypassed it somehow.

Unless he's playing the PSP ver, its not possible to bypass it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Alteisen posted:

Unless he's playing the PSP ver, its not possible to bypass it.

I think you can generate yourself a pass code with Chill Penguin beaten but no Dash Boots collected.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
For X1 I just go right for the dash boots. gently caress not getting dash. Dashing is like one of the most fun things about that game. In X2 I hosed up getting the Zero parts somehow, so I got to fight Zero after dying a dozen times to Wolverine Sigma. Which was more annoying than difficult because all you gotta do is get him in that earth crusher loop and he's dead.

AHungryRobot fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 6, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

I think you can generate yourself a pass code with Chill Penguin beaten but no Dash Boots collected.

I believe the 1.0 version of one of the ROM's also had a bug enabling you to sort of clear the game with no upgrades.

Very buggy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, an old version of the ROM would put you back at the intro stage with all your weapons but no upgrades every time you left a level. It was actually pretty cool, getting to try out new toys on the old layout, but getting the upgrades back every time was a bit of a pain.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Gentlemen, behold Capcom's latest creation:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/smartphone/otoren/

Apparently it's for some sort of iOS music game.

More artwork here:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/rockmanunity/archives/7439251.html

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

For some reason my first reaction to that was "why doesn't Auto form the chest?"

It's the perfect opportunity to have a dog and a cat arm and they blew it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BlitzBlast posted:

For some reason my first reaction to that was "why doesn't Auto form the chest?"

It's the perfect opportunity to have a dog and a cat arm and they blew it.

Because Digimon got dibs on the 'animals heads as arms' designs

:v:

But seriously, Capcom is just being straight up cruel with Megaman.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Speaking of designs, I finally looked up Xover's protagonist and I actually really like OVER-1's design. I think his armors looks pretty cool, especially his fire armor...plus I have a thing for fur collars. Too bad he didn't show up in a more interesting game. http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/OVER-1

I also could have dug that new thing if Rush had been the other arm.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Purple D. Link posted:

Speaking of designs, I finally looked up Xover's protagonist and I actually really like OVER-1's design. I think his armors looks pretty cool, especially his fire armor...plus I have a thing for fur collars. Too bad he didn't show up in a more interesting game. http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/OVER-1

I also could have dug that new thing if Rush had been the other arm.

So OVER-1 would be the classic series counterpart to Biometal A? :psyduck:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pureauthor posted:

Gentlemen, behold Capcom's latest creation:

I think it actually looks pretty neat. :shobon:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
It's got a cat-rear end pauldron.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
So, I decided to replay Mega Man X, and it's been really fun. I love how agile X feels, especially once you get his upgrades. I remember the first eight stages being really hard when I was seven or eight, but I blew through them pretty quickly, especially after playing Mega Man 2 and 10 recently. I just got to the Sigma stages, and those are mean as gently caress. Unfortunately, I don't have my SNES, so I'm playing the Gamecube MMX collection, and even with control re-mapping and a wavebird, it's basically a one-way trip to hand cramp city.

How far can I go in the X series before it stops being worth it? Are any of them as good as X1?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

DrankSinatra posted:

How far can I go in the X series before it stops being worth it? Are any of them as good as X1?

Play 2, 3, 4, and 8. I'd say 2 is definitively better than 1, your mileage will vary on the other three. 5, 6, and 7 are varying flavors of garbage.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I give X2 a lot of credit for having far more useful weapons from the first 8 bosses. X3 is alright if you need a break from replaying 1 and 2. X4 gets a lot of love. I think it's decent playing through as X but the novelty of using Zero wears off quickly.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
General fan consensus is that X5 is when things start to get a bit unstable, so finish with that one.

Personally I don't mind the later ones, but I also see why they are disliked (weak gimmicks and story).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
X6 is great because of how broken it is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

6 and 7 are the only really bad ones, but 6 is still worth playing because of how absolutely insane it is. Also it has probably the coolest armors in the series.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?

Mister Roboto posted:

General fan consensus is that X5 is when things start to get a bit unstable, so finish with that one.

Personally I don't mind the later ones, but I also see why they are disliked (weak gimmicks and story).

X5 redeems itself somewhat if you like when the X series references events and characters of the old series.

(spoilered in case someone still doesn't know)
There are references a plenty to Sigma working in league with Wily. You fight a "Devil" boss, Sigma's new mega body is based off of Gamma from the end of MM3, and Zero can potentially become "awakened" with his original programming from Wily, which makes him back into a murderous rear end in a top hat. However, it is incredibly annoying on a Zero playthrough to have him awaken (which seems random, despite if the shuttle mission succeeds or fails), and be stuck reloading or switching to an underpowered X.

Also, you do get an X vs Zero fight to some good music. That said, whichever one you are playing will probably be so overpowered that it isn't even remotely challenging.

This may not make up for some pretty weak stages, a frankly useless second armor for X, the plot and constant intrusions of dialogue, and the ridiculous names for the bosses.

chumbler posted:

6 and 7 are the only really bad ones, but 6 is still worth playing because of how absolutely insane it is. Also it has probably the coolest armors in the series.

I've beaten X6 with all reploids saved, on either character. I still can't beat the spike level as X without Shadow armor.

I bought X7 used thinking I could slog through it just once to say I did, but I just can't do it.

Hoppy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 9, 2013

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
X1 is the best game in many respects. X2 and X3 do some interesting things to develop the concept, but both have some structural flaws. X4 began the descent. Although some aspects of it were quite fun to play(The game is held up IMO by how fun Zero is to control), it was a mess graphically, and established the poor development practices that Capcom would use from that point forward to grind the series into the dirt.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

DrankSinatra posted:

X5 is mediocrity central, but if you want a fun time, do not under any circumstances play X6.

Why?
-One stage makes you fight a red donut five times. He uses the same attacks.
-Remember the compactors in Dust Man's stage in MM4? The entirety of Metal Shark player's stage is that gimmick.
-The nightmare effects are awful.
-The final stages are littered with spikes, and some parts are nearly impossible to get past if you didn't equip the right parts.
-Gate and Nightmare Mother are awful bosses.
-The fight with Sigma is the most disappointing fight in the entire series. If you're playing as Zero, the cutscene is hilarious.
-The stage design is general is really, really bad.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, but that should give you a good idea of what to expect. As for games as good as X1, I'd put X2 on about the same level. X3 and X4 slightly less so. X4's final stages are criminally short, so that may disappoint you. Some people really like playing as Zero, but I think unarmored X is the most fun.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm curious, why is X3 considered inferior to the first two? I played them as a child and fell in love with all three so I probably formed biased opinions (as far as I'm concerned, these three are perfect) but I always felt as if X3 was just as good, if not better, than the predecessors. I kinda dug the heavier riffs and the stages were pretty diverse. I mean a frozen city? poo poo yeah!

X and X2 are amazing as well, of course but I guess I've never taken the time to think about each game's design and merits more objectively so I'm curious to hear others' opinions.

As far as X4, I played it years laters and to be honest, it felt right. Adding Zero with his combo moves was a great call, too. Though I do remember the bitter taste in my mouth when I tried X5 and X6, a year or two after X4...

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 9, 2013

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

KingSlime posted:

I'm curious, why is X3 considered inferior to the first two? I played them as a child and fell in love with all three so I probably formed biased opinions (as far as I'm concerned, these three are perfect) but I always felt as if X3 was just as good, if not better, than the predecessors. I kinda dug the heavier riffs and the stages were pretty diverse. I mean a frozen city? poo poo yeah!

The game didn't feel like it added a whole lot to the formula. New things like the hidden ride armors are so underused they may as well not be there. I really liked them too but there's just nowhere to take them with the exception of the aquatic armor in Toxic Seahorse's stage. The armor chips were a neat idea but I only remember the boot chip and the gold chip really adding much to the game play. The boss weapons in the game are mostly nothing special and boss weakness functions differently in the game. A particularly strong weapon against a boss doesn't necessarily do more damage. It stuns the boss out of its attack pattern. For most of the bosses, that makes them painfully easy while also prolonging the fights.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

To me, X3 was kind of a featureless slog. Literally the only things I clearly remember about it are the frozen city stage (because it had some really good music) and Bit and Byte because those are the best names. Everything else is lost, to the point that it feels like a brand new game each time I play it because I seriously can not remember a thing about it.

Also it had waaaaay too many collectibles, and most of them were pretty rear end. The upwards air-dash was okay, but the damage barrier was kind of weird, the combined charge shots were terrible, and the radar made entering every stage way more annoying than it should have been. The Ride Armors may as well have not been in the game, the armor chips were pointless since you could only get one (and any sort of illusion of choice is destroyed by the existence of the gold armor), and the Z-Saber was not nearly as funny as X embracing his inner Street Fighter. Was there anything else? I can't remember.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I guess X3 was more of a "you had to be there" kind of thin, back in the late 90's, when all you could afford was maybe one game a year and you got Mega Man X from your neighbour to try it out and you bought X3 yourself.

It puts you in a sort of favorable mood, I guess. :shobon:

X1 is still the very best though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I liked X3 quite a bit although I definitely felt that the difficulty was kicked up quite a bit in it compared to X1 and X2.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

TenaciousJ posted:

The game didn't feel like it added a whole lot to the formula. New things like the hidden ride armors are so underused they may as well not be there. I really liked them too but there's just nowhere to take them with the exception of the aquatic armor in Toxic Seahorse's stage. The armor chips were a neat idea but I only remember the boot chip and the gold chip really adding much to the game play. The boss weapons in the game are mostly nothing special and boss weakness functions differently in the game. A particularly strong weapon against a boss doesn't necessarily do more damage. It stuns the boss out of its attack pattern. For most of the bosses, that makes them painfully easy while also prolonging the fights.

There also weren't special animations for using the weakness against a boss. One of the most disappointing parts for me.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I hold X4 and X8 as the best ones myself, but the SNES offerings aren't far behind there. They're absolutely amazing and required plays too.

So, yeah, what people said. X6 and X7 are straight up terrible games (watch LPs of them instead of playing them, or something. I recommend being at least mildly drunk while watching X7 to ease the pain.), whereas I think X5 would have been a somewhat decent game were it not for Alia.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
You could make major improvements to X3 by making the up-dash instantaneous and tweaking the upgraded charge shot to be less cumbersome. Have the helmet give infinite weapon energy like in X4.

That being said I think the downsides of it are overstated some times. It doesn't introduce many new things, yes, but just as a continuation from X2 it really isn't that far of a step down in quality. The factory stage with Vile was hella awesome.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

KennyMan666 posted:

So, yeah, what people said. X6 and X7 are straight up terrible games (watch LPs of them instead of playing them, or something. I recommend being at least mildly drunk while watching X7 to ease the pain.), whereas I think X5 would have been a somewhat decent game were it not for Alia.

Violen's playthrough of Blaze Heatnix is required viewing, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl6QM4hUft8

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Violen's playthrough of Blaze Heatnix is required viewing, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl6QM4hUft8

Don't forget Ground Scaravich: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwzAf--gQCo

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Ugh. X6 just looks cheaply made. The character sprites don't really mesh with the art style of the background, and that weird 2/3rds overhead view of the platforms is jarring. It looks like someone hacked together the sprites and backgrounds of two separate games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

DrankSinatra posted:

that weird 2/3rds overhead view of the platforms is jarring. It looks like someone hacked together the sprites and backgrounds of two separate games.

I know what you mean, and it is annoying as gently caress, but all the PSX games have that problem to some extent. It's just not a good idea when you're designing a 2D platformer. The point of contact with the platform isn't on the top or the bottom side of the sprite, it's somewhere in the middle, which isn't very intuitive. This isn't a problem if you're already on the platform, but if you're clambering between a bunch of really small ones, it can be pretty annoying.

AHungryRobot fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 9, 2013