Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

evilweasel called for a new thread, so here we go.

Previous thread here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3178154

Let's start the debate with this: as the title implies, I feel that while the Republicans still control the debate in many important areas, they're having a serious problem with identity. With Sarah Palin seemingly disloyal to the Republican Party and the NY-23 race showing that moderates won't be tolerated, they're not taking advantage of the hand that they're dealt. I'm not completely sure that there will be a split within the Republican Party, but it's looking more likely than it did during the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I don't think there will be a split, but I do think that there will be a reorganization of power. The more moderate and fiscal conservatives are gaining a lot of popularity because of Obama is losing steam.
Meanwhile, the social conservative far right is consuming themselves and being heavily ridiculed by all but the far right.

superjx
Apr 26, 2005

Official Somethingawful.com forums account of Scott Walker (Paid for by the Wisconsin State Government)
There's not going to be a split. There will be more primary battles though.

What you're seeing on the right are groups that self identify as conservative that don't feel satisfied with the Republican party. However, they do realize that the Republicans are their best vehicle for gaining power, so they aren't going to jump ship and guarantee a win for Democrats.

What you will see happen are these groups supporting individual candidates who happen to be Republican, and Republican candidates seeking their endorsements because they have active volunteers.

Sure, there are a bunch of "a pox on both your houses" guys in these groups, but a Republican can just say, "I agree with you, both sides have been bad, that's why we need new people in office and groups like you to hold us accountable." Republicans are already going to tea party groups and courting them for the 2010 elections, and most of leaders of these groups know the leaders of their local GOP.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think the idea is to keep the line of separation (between GOP and the teabaggers) at such a point where the GOP wins primaries so the teabaggers run third party candidates and split the general. I guess that would be done by picking the right fights to win and lose so that the teabaggers are emboldened enough to remain cohesive whereas the GOP are not disenfranchised to the point where they crash and burn.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
Right now the Republican Party is like the Zords forming the Megazord. Sure they're hella vulnerable, and everyone is shouting at the tv "GO KILL THEM NOW! LOOK THEY'RE INCAPABLE OF FIGHTING BACK!" but for some reason those badass giant monsters they're fighting (democrats!!! *shakes fist in fury*) are too incompetent to strike during their golden opportunity. And as time goes on something in international or domestic news is going to happen and the republicans are going to get their proverbial Power Sword and take back the Angel Grove (the government) and everyone is going to forget that the Megazord destroyed half of the city in the process (seriously, is Angel Grove full of abandoned sky scrappers? Because if not their must of been some serious collateral damage). Rita (obama) is gonna be pissed.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
There are more problems in the Democratic party than there are in the Republican party, it's just that the Republicans' problems have more to do with cohesiveness than anything else. Even with the infighting they have a stronger message than the Democrats do, as the current Democrats in power aren't really legitimately responding to their constituents' concerns.

If the Republican party can't get the bone out of its throat by 2010, it may finally fall apart in 2012, but I don't know if that will be ultimately good or bad for the Democrats themselves. Assuming the Republicans spit into two camps of somewhat equal size(moderates and tea party freaks/jesus freaks), the Democrats may be tempted to do the same(Dems closer to the 'blue dog' ideology, fiscally conservative and such, and Dems who'd be more likely to feel at home in LF). I dislike the current inneffectual two-party system as much as the next guy, but with the way the Tea Party crowd has actually had some success in getting people frothing at the mouth I think it's very possible that they might actually get some elected representatives in 2010 or 2012 under a multiple-party system, something I fear much more than Congress and Obama's limp-dicking.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

RaySmuckles posted:

Right now the Republican Party is like the Zords forming the Megazord. Sure they're hella vulnerable, and everyone is shouting at the tv "GO KILL THEM NOW! LOOK THEY'RE INCAPABLE OF FIGHTING BACK!" but for some reason those badass giant monsters they're fighting (democrats!!! *shakes fist in fury*) are too incompetent to strike during their golden opportunity. And as time goes on something in international or domestic news is going to happen and the republicans are going to get their proverbial Power Sword and take back the Angel Grove (the government) and everyone is going to forget that the Megazord destroyed half of the city in the process (seriously, is Angel Grove full of abandoned sky scrappers? Because if not their must of been some serious collateral damage). Rita (obama) is gonna be pissed.

are you loving kidding me

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Syphilicious! posted:

There are more problems in the Democratic party than there are in the Republican party,

This. The Republicans aren't controlling the debate; the conservadems are. The Republicans are simply lucky enough to be benefiting from this indirectly, but it's not much of a net benefit given the potential spoiler role that the Teabaggers may play in 2010.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

evilweasel posted:

are you loving kidding me

I stopped reading at "Zords forming the Megazord". Don't tell me you read the whole loving thing.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Macrame_God posted:

I stopped reading at "Zords forming the Megazord". Don't tell me you read the whole loving thing.

I did, and it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojourn
Mar 28, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

Aye yi yi yi yi! :derp: