Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Cornette said he only respected 3 of the 4 workers involved in that skit.

I'm assuming the one left out was Sid, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Come As You Are is a really boring song, but my opinion of it may be skewed due to hearing it and Teen Spirit as the only Nirvana tracks that ever get played on the radio.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

In true WCW fashion, the strawberry gum actually tasted like butterscotch.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Astro7x posted:

WWE.com put up a bunch of videos from the final WCW Nitro, as it was 11 years today that the final broadcast aired :911:

Never realized Vince fired Jeff Jarrett on the broadcast...

http://www.wwe.com/videos/playlists/final-monday-nitro-playlist

"YOU ARE GOING TO HOLD JACK BRISCO, DORY FUNK, HARLEY RACE, THE ROAD WARRIORS, STING, LUGER, THE STEINERS, BAGWELL..."

What.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

His own hapless attorney John Witless.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

I looked into that a little further and some random website said 'after years of kid problems, Hail passed away in 2006.'

Confused, I hunted around some more. Turns out he had kidney issues.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Most shoot interviews aren't officially copyrighted works - which is why when someone accuses Tammy Sytch of smoking crack in a shoot interview, she doesn't do the logical thing and sue, she does another interview for the same company trying to argue that she didn't smoke crack.

It's a carny industry. Meltzer sides with Bret on everything, so I'd rather see Bret point out what parts of Diana's book were false rather than generalizing that the entire thing as untrue.

I think Diana would know whether or not Davey Boy raped her. She would have no reason to make up stuff like that.

Copyright has nothing to do with libel.

The reason Sytch doesn't sue is because statements like that are true (and could theoretically be proven), not because they aren't copyrighted.

Defamation (libel/slander) cases are very hard to prove in a court of law (at least in Canada, I believe it's slightly easier in the States as the burden of proof isn't as heavy as it is in Canada, IANAL, though) and the fact that Hart's book was yanked from the shelves is a very uncommon thing, especially considering the people being talked about were prominent public figures (typically it's harder for public figures to win defamation cases.)

For what it's worth, I read part of Diane Hart's book during lunch breaks when it was still in stores and there were a lot of inaccuracies (and I'm not talking about simple name errors) and unbelievable poo poo being said. I agree with OneThousandMonkeys, read anything else.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Libel can include broadcasted statements, though I don't know if that encompasses poo poo like YouTube shoot interviews or whatever.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

My memory's foggy, but,

What I found most insulting about her book is that she got Stu Hart to write a 'preface' to it. When Stu probably didn't see word one of what was written and was old enough to have no real clue of what the gently caress was going on around him.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Right -

http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=1153

Slander would be like if New Jack went in front of a crowd of people and said "Tammy Sytch smokes crack and killed a dude by biting his dick off".

If he says that during a shoot interview or on television, it's libel.

But New Jack could argue that he was 'performing as a character' and get around a potential lawsuit that way.

Alternatively, if he was giving an interview, the burden of proof (I am somewhat misusing this term) would be on him to show that what he said happened, and then Sytch would have to show how her reputation was damaged by those statements. Even partial false statements (killed a dude by biting his dick off) doesn't mean defamation has happened. There was a notable case in the 60s with the New York Times and I think Kent State where they were talking about civil rights infringements of African Americans. Some of the claims in the article the NYT made were false, but not all of them, and that was sufficient to escape a libel ruling because they weren't acting with the aforementioned 'malice' that Jeffersonlives referenced.

However, Sytch's substance abuse problems are well known and well documented, so even if she doesn't smoke crack specifically, it's irrelevant.

You could also take other shoot comments from other people, like that Nexus guy who was fired and said a bunch of poo poo about John Cena. Taken on the surface, they're potentially defaming comments, but then you have to look at the context -- does anyone seriously believe the guy or think he has any credibility? Has John Cena or WWE's reputation been seriously hurt by these claims? No? Well, then the statements shouldn't be taken as slander/libel.

To try and draw this somewhat back to the WCW Thread...Russo's comments about Hogan being a 'bald headed son of a bitch' I think did end up becoming a libel case (and were settled by Time Warner...I think?) and you could make an argument that Russo was acting with malice with his comments (although they were true, haha.) Anyone know anything more about that particular case?

Perdido fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 22, 2013

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Here, have Jim Duggan, Lash LeRoux, The Wall and Big Vito on some Nickelodeon game show in 2000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQuKIREpS3U

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

oatgan posted:

imo a good way for the head-writer of a wrestling show to avoid concussions from not knowing how to take bumps properly is to NOT WRITE YOURSELF INTO THE SHOW

But Russo would never appear onscreen. He even promised as much. What are you talking about?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

crankdatbatman posted:

Secondly, is there anyone out there outside of Vince Russo himself who genuinely enjoyed WCW in 99-2000? I started watching wrestling with WCW in late 99, and I enjoyed since I didn't know anything about the WWF at the time. I quickly switched to almost fully watching the WWF at a friend's recommendation, though, and didn't really turn back outside of the first hour of Nitro.

Are there people out there who enjoyed it unironically? And would even today defend it? Or is it universally panned by everyone?

I remember that there was a lot of enthusiasm and optimism around that time, even leading up to the final episode of Nitro, even though folks would deny it now. People thought that the idea of elevating WCW's younger talent was great and things like the Millionaire's Club v. New Blood was on the right track.

A lot of that enthusiasm and optimism went down the shitter as soon as the Radicalz made the jump from WCW to WWE. That, to me, was where basically everyone except for the most die-hard loyalist types really stopped giving a poo poo about WCW. poo poo like Bash at the Beach 2000 were significant events and considered 'major blows' to WCW, but I'd argue with Benoit et al. making the jump when they did, that was when fans really gave up on WCW.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Red posted:

Well, he didn't really.

After WCW (which he was employed by for 3 years), he wrestled sporadically for Maryland Championship Wrestling, and later went to work at a Rose's store in Bumfuck, Maryland. He lived with a sugar momma until she kicked him out.

He had two stints in WCW that spanned 6 years.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

I've been flipping through old gaming magazines and came across this:

This was right around the time that there were a whole slew of WWF games out. The one I distinctly remember is an ad that had the main picture be a shot of Dibiase and Macho Man punching each other in a cage. Other shots had a wide shot of an arena and ring, with promo pics of all the wrestlers interspersed with gameplay shots.

The Man Called Sting: so awesome, even a 12 year old beanpole could kick his rear end.

EDIT: Also, these games were on the SNES, Genesis and Sega CD. Near as I can tell, WCW never released a game on any of those consoles. The only other game that came out around that time was for the NES and featured the Road Warriors...who had jumped ship to WWF by the time the game was released. The game in the ad above also featured the Steiner Brothers as playable characters...who had also jumped ship to WWF by the time the game was released.

:allears: WCW :allears:

Perdido fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 20, 2014

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

So funny story, I was continuing digging through those old mags and I came across an ad for this game not long after I made that post.

Ad was a lot better than the one above, had Sting arm-dragging some guy with some fairly blurry gameplay shots.

I've never heard of this game, though. Any idea if it was any good?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

coconono posted:

Mark Madden, former WCW commentator and horrible person, has been on tear making friend and influencing enemies:
http://hockeywithoutpropriety.com/2014/actually-its-about-ethics-in-hockey-reporting.html

What the gently caress is this

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Also, the main event of Starrcade '96 was supposed to be Sting beating Savage. Why was this changed? A few months out, Turner said "we're paying Hogan a million zillion dollars, use him in the main event or else."

"Creative control clause"

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

EDIT: Nevermind, that's old.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

ISIS is really just the NWO when you get right down to it. We just need to know who the Third Man is.

Balding uber tanned middle aged man.

You do the math.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Needs More Ditka posted:

I just watched Fall Brawl 95 on the Network, and I noticed a guy holding a sign reading "Flair 3:16." Normally I would have thought nothing of it, but then I realized that Austin 3:16 was still a year away. This leaves me with three questions:

When did Flair write a gospel, what did it say, and how did only one shmuck at Fall Brawl 95 know about it?

If you're actually asking why there'd be a 3:16 sign,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollen_Stewart

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Man, I feel old. But yeah, that's part of why (IMO) Austin 3:16 became so loving universal -- the John 3:16 guy was already everywhere and Austin himself has said that that guy was in his head when he was coming up with that promo.

But yeah, he was a loving nutter. You left out the best part,

quote:

Stewart was arrested in 1992 after a standoff in a California hotel during which he entered a vacant room with two men he was attempting to kidnap and surprised a maid who then locked herself in the bathroom. Reportedly, Stewart believed that the Rapture was due to arrive in six days. During the standoff, he threatened to shoot at airplanes taking off from nearby Los Angeles International Airport, and covered the hotel room windows with "John 3:16" placards.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Yeah it would have made a lot more sense (and made WCW marks happy) to have Sting beat HHH. And man, they really should have had Robocop come out for the last minute assist.

Which could have set up the Sting/Robocop v. HHH/Terminator Wrestlemania tag team match I'm sure we all want to see.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Nystral posted:

What is this from? I remember that it was a short term thing but why??

Male pattern baldness and Vince's attempts at covering it up on his biggest star.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

laz0rbeak posted:

All other media was unavailable to me so I read some more Death of WCW yesterday. It's so irritating that they use the exact same "look at these dummies" tone whether they're describing legitimately bad ideas like Master P and the No Limit Soldiers or explaining that it's IMPOSSIBLE for 3 Count to have a platinum album when they've never released a song.

A lot of that has to do with the Wrestlecrap guy being involved with the book.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Oh God - I remember I archived the entire Wrestlecrap website years ago and probably have a backup of it somewhere

I don't even remember why I did it - did RD Reynolds announce ahead of time that Wrestlecrap was closing?

The old website was hit hard with bandwidth charges and he couldn't afford to keep full archives up (or so the story goes), so he worked out a system where he'd have a new Induction each week,, with 1-2 'retro' inductees featured.

He also tried selling CDROMs (I think) of the full site for a while.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Has RD Reynolds actually done anything big and impressive with the amount of internet credibility Wrestlecrap got him? Or did he do that site, this book, and a whole lotta nothing?

He's done a few books and I think he's got a podcast going or something, but he seems to go through collaborators pretty quickly and, IIRC, he's very much in the Jim Cornette 'old school wrasslin' school of thought, and I think his forums/fans became really insular as a result.

I will say that the rapport he had with John Tenta and the subsequent interviews he had with him about his time as the Shark in WCW was good stuff. Also, I think he got into a bit of an online feud with either Damien Demento or Mantaur cos they were featured on his website.

That said, I haven't looked at that site in years and years.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

In 2002, there are 6 Cult Wrestling companies in North America but no national presence. Who will be the first to take their slice of the pie Global in 2002 - The Warring States

Which one is for benevolence?

E: Also, why would the Harts be 'disgusted' in your scenario? Vince going to jail means Montreal never happens as there wouldn't be a huge bidding war between top stars if both companies were failing and flailing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

I guess I could see Stu Hart throwing down a baby Bret Hart after Archie 'the Stomper' Gouldie rushed back to rescue him.