Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I've been to the Hulk Hogan restaurant, it's really close to my grandma's house so I popped in one day. The food is painfully generic and is the same basic quality as a loosely aquatic themed Chili's or TGI Fridays. It's not an awful place to eat mind you, but it's worse than other tourist trap type places like Rainforest Cafe and Margaritaville and substantially worse than other local places with similar food. Also the dress code is never enforced because when I was there there was a bro posse of people all wearing jerseys and baggy jorts (but they were all white guys...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Is the Starcade ring a 12x12 or a 16x16? I know Giant and Hall are big dudes but that ring looks bitsy.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

MassRafTer posted:

WWE in 2000 didn't give everyone a story like Vince Russo would. It was a planned structured show, but they didn't try to cram every bit of the roster into every show and give them a story.

There's a difference between giving everyone a story and giving everyone insane amounts of stupid character development. "Mysterious dude in a mask who hates wrestler B for unknown reason" is a great story that takes a minute to tell and can be interesting. What Russo did wrong was thinking we needed to know about how the masked man used to be a famous male model who the other wrestler secretly mutilated in a trailer park fire after having an affair with his mom and shooting his dog.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

DoctorDelaware posted:

I actually (half-) own that game. A friend and I bought the cabinet from our local Arcade, lovely Pizza & Animatronic Animals place when it went out of business.

It's better than owning the lovely Midway one.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

haljordan posted:

Holy poo poo Eric Bischoff is doing a loving meet and greet/Q&A at a Dave and Buster's in Philly the day of the Rumble. How can I NOT attend?!

The only wrestling personality/chain eatery combo that would be more appropriate than Bischoff at a DnB's would be if, like, Tajiri did one at a Sizzler.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Pssh, Tajiri would clearly demand Waffle House.

Every tough guy east Asian dude I have ever known has loving loved Sizzler, I don't know why or how.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Luigi Thirty posted:

They don't like cursing. He wouldn't last five minutes.

No this would be great, he'd have a gimmick where he'd swear constantly but they'd all be bleeped out or otherwise censored like in that Arthur the Aardvark parody of The Sopranos.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

oldpainless posted:

Im surprised Big Show is as mobile as he is.

A lot of it has to do with him getting involved with wrestling early in his life (I think he was 23 when he debuted in WCW?). He got put in touch with a lot of people who had dealt with other giant wrestler guys like Andre and so he started getting a lot of medical work and treatments done way earlier in his life than guys like Andre, Khali and Gonzalez.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
IDK, I marked out for Hogan and Warrior as a kid but I think its because we had different standards for what a tough guy was back then. It's not like today where you have so much mass media attention on stuff like MMA and even just on modern athletes training regimens. Warrior and Hogan were old, but as a kid they just reminded me of the drunk dudes you'd see getting in fights outside of the bar.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

what bars did you frequent that had old dudes as monstrously jacked as Warrior and Hogan getting into brawls? I want to hang out there.

I grew up in a very small town who's main attraction was a truck stop. There were a lot of middle aged dudes that basically just drunk beer, chewed tobacco and lifted weights. I mean none of them were obviously Hulk Hogan on roids level ripped but it was a similar aesthetic.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Maxwell Lord posted:

This happens quite a bit to actors, too. Nobody's figured out a more efficient way to distribute the tiny amounts of residuals that happen when like one person rents a film on Amazon digital.

I have a friend who had some bit parts in movies when she was like 18 since she wanted pocket money and her family had studio connections. She still will occasionally get checks for like 12 cents for sales from the DVD of Bring It On.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ToyotaThong posted:

Found this at a local hobby shop's kite section.

Enjoy

Please please please tell me they made an Ed Leslie one of these.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

1st AD posted:

I watched the Network version of 2000 Bash at the Beach and goddamn every song is overdubbed practically. Goldberg's theme is dubbed using his WWE song, Jarrett loses the Kid Rock ripoff song and gets some generic twangy rock song, Kronic's theme is dubbed but you really can't tell the difference, and then when Sting comes out they start playing Metallica for like 2 bars and then it too gets dubbed over by some generic horror song. :psyduck:

Did WCW on home video have this problem while they were still around?

Most of the licensed music was from people signed to WMG, which was owned by Time Warner, which was in turn headed up by Ted Turner making licensing the music very easy since they were basically licensing it from themselves.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
But if Ho Kogan dies will they bury-alive Beefcake with him like some kind of ancient king's retainer?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

1st AD posted:

Is there a reason Ed Leslie didn't keep up with the Disciple gimmick for longer? I mean at the very least he had a much better look as The Disciple than he did as Brutus.

Because once you semi-retire as a wrestler and you keep the lights on by doing occasional indie dates you stick with the gimmick that the most people will recognize. No one gives a gently caress who the Disciple is but if some guy who hasn't watched wresting in years sees a flier for a local show that has Brutus Beefcake in it, that's a guy he remembers and might go pay the five bucks to see just because he never got to see him live when he was a kid or whatever. Also the disciple was extremely unmemorable and WCW also worked semi-hard at trying to make it seem like he wasn't Leslie and was a totally different character. Beefer was all about the money though, so I'm sure he would have shown up as the Disciple if some indie promoter really wanted the Disciple, but guys like the Rodman Down Under people want guys like him billed as whatever they were at their peak, it's one of the reasons those dudes fight so hard to hold on to their wrestler names (Example: Leslie ended up being Brute Force on the indies because of WWE having the copyright to the barber gimmick).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Smoking Crow posted:

I want to see Ed Leslie work as the Zodiac one more time

I know at a few random indie dates he wore the trunks but I think that was more out of extreme laziness than anything else.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Skinty McEdger posted:

Did Disco ever get the chartbuster back after they gave it to Disciple?

He got a better one The Book, it was so powerful it finished an entire company.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

oatgan posted:

present day scott steiner is extremely gross and sad

This is true of like 98% of wrestlers whose heyday was 15+ years ago.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The American Dream posted:

No mention of freaks or peaks. Those cards were a rip off then and are now

He was not yet a freak and had nowhere near peaks, you're seeing the genesis of the boy that would one day be a leviathan of a man.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

1st AD posted:

Yeah but the Big Bad Booty Daddy only worked because he had gotten so bloated from steroids and lifting, you wouldn't have had the same workrate out of Big Poppa Pump.

I'm trying to imagine roid Steiner doing early Steiners moveset and am mostly imagining it would sound like someone rubbing two leather pillows together.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Man With No Face

I believe you mean "fur face".

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

BrigadierSensible posted:

Bit late on the EdLeslie chat, but you forgot the best one.

Brutus The Barber! I think it started vs Adorable Adrian Adonis, which led to a hair vs hair match which Brutus won and he just kept the gimmick, tassled hedgeclippers and all. I also used to like how he would only cut a tiny lock of hair from his defeated opponents, but they would sell it like a swarm of bees.

Except for IIRC Lanny Poffo. Did they have some kind of backstage beef or something? Because he absolutely murders that dude's hair in a way where his only option would have been to head to supercuts the next day and get it all shaved off.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
There have been a few decent Scaffold matches, I don't think there has ever been a good match in a junkyard, unless DDT did one that I'm forgetting about.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Bischoff is the wrestling equivalent of that guy in your town who owns a company that does car detailing and stereos. He makes a lot of money, employs all his idiot sons and has a nice house, but you also have to wonder why he drives everywhere in his lowrider durango that has bitchin' green flames all over it and a giant stereo system mounted in the back. Just because a person is successful and makes some good decisions monetarily when running a company doesn't mean they have good taste. If you were getting paid millions of dollars to be able to portray yourself on a program with millions of viewers and basically unlimited budget, do you think you could resist living out all your dumb 8 year old boy fantasies on someone elses dime? Because I'm not sure I could TBH.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The James Brown appearance was on a PPV, which makes even less sense. You can say "Hey, James Brown is on Nitro!" and people can change the channel. Nobody is going to spend $30 halfway through a live PPV because James Brown showed up.

I think the idea for stuff like this is that if crazy things or cool stuff happens halfway through a PPV and you're a wrestling fan you're going to hear about it from your friends, and in the days before being able to download all this crap online whenever you wanted or watch things on the WWE network, you were basically SOL until the next PPV. So the general concept was that you'd be influenced to buy the next show because "oh, well last time the crazy stuff happened and I don't want to miss that!" but it's hard to tell with WCW.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's important to not discount how the attitude era really got people used to buying PPVs as well. Most people I know were introduced to the entire concept of buying a PPV with pro wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Because pop culture is cyclical and self referential and the NWO shirt is such an iconic symbol of late 90's pop culture that I'm pretty sure there were people out there buying and wearing them who had no idea it was wrestling merch.